Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

New Jesu album out this year :getin:

drat, this year keeps getting better. Though I wasn't big on Ascension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
God drat it Rosetta, I trusted you with making great cover art. Now this... uh... I don't know what to say :negative:

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

skasion posted:

Holy poo poo, this post just made me realize Rosetta and A Storm of Light aren't the same band.

Rosetta are very good. Check out The Galilean Satellites, it's a great album.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

I AM CARVALLO posted:

Generation of Vipers released a little two track cover album of Milk It by Nirvana and Gates of Steel by DEVO. Prreeeety goooood. Especially Milk It. Also, Generation of Vipers in general is good if you've never listened to them. Dead Circle is a great album.

http://generationofvipers.bandcamp.com/album/devana

A similar good but obscure sludge band is Dirge.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Double post:

New Rosetta is up on bandcamp. Name your price.

http://theanaesthete.bandcamp.com/

Mastered pretty quiet but I like it.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

Their style is really starting to get monotonous.

I definitely agree. Not sure exactly what bugs me, but I feel like I've heard all their chord progressions on earlier albums.
Pity, since TGS is next to Panopticon on my list of perfect metal albums.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

Not really what I meant in terms of vocals, but I like their sound anyway, so thanks!

THIS is closer to what I'm talking about. Like a 50/50 fusion of dreamy and doom. Really digging this.

If you like The Angelic Process you need to look into Jesu.

Also, Skepticism's first album gives me similar vibes to TAP in terms of the guitar tone and (somewhat) in the vocals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw11sJCwGqI

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Blut loving own because of how much effort they put into making intricate soundscapes. The Work Which Transforms God is an amazing album mostly because there's just so much layered sampling going on on top of the crazy guitar tone manipulations (seriously, listen to Our Blessed Frozen Cells or Procession of the Dead Clowns) and bizarre guitar work. There's a ton of tonal intricacy even if it isn't being carried entirely by the guitars. I think I tend to like metal which doesn't treat the guitars as the main melodic instrument, though, so take my endorsement with a grain of salt :v:

Morbid Florist posted:

It may have taken Souls at Zero for distillation of what they played around with earlier, giving Isis a career, but clearly Tool was listening to them before that.

I'm not entirely comfortable with calling Isis a straight Neurosis clone, honestly. Celestial and their earlier EPs have a good deal of sludgy, dirge-like riffing going on, and they are heavily indebted to Neurosis for that alone, but they diverged at around the release of Oceanic. Isis went in a very post-rock direction, using sparse drumming and a ton of electronic ambience (it's telling that they had Tim Hecker and Fennesz remix tracks from Oceanic) while Neurosis took a very different approach to guitar work and drumming, with those tribal rhythms and toms everyone talks about. Turner also started using more clean vocals around that period.

Really, I think very few bands in the "post-metal" scene are straight Neurosis clones. I'd be more willing to apply that term to Generation of Vipers or A Storm of Light or something.

Gamma Nerd fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 3, 2014

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Yeah, Cannabis Corpse are just weed-themed death metal rather than actual stoner metal.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
They're worth it. Their cover of Sometimes was amazing, and Flood was... transcendent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

moctopus posted:

That entire Yellow Loveless album is a lot of fun and I suggest it a ton. Play it loud.

The brostep remix of Touched is the best thing ever tbh