Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

What is your guys favorite "Take drugs and put on this album and go on a spiritual journey" album?

Besides Dopesmoker, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

chunkles posted:

I really love this poster

I dig that one hahah I saw it earlier, I think it's one of the best doom metal posters. Looks like something out of Tim and Eric.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of that sweet Dopethrone (the band, not the song), patch that's on Totem Cat? They're sold out and I've been looking for used ones and can't find them ANYWHERE.

Electric Wizard certainly isn't helping because everytime you google "Dopethrone" they come up.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Snowy posted:

If you add -"electric wizard" it's a lot easier, but I still don't see anyone else selling it.

I decided to go for a Sleep one instead. Thank you though!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Not sure if I'm just really behind or if these guys are well known or not, but I was listening to this last night and holy gently caress it's so good.

Black doom...one of the youtube comments said "just kinda sink into it...and sink...and sink" and they were right. Holy gently caress it's noisy and slow and heavy and I love it.

The Secret- Solve Et Coagula
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PXfSAzX09Q

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

New Weedeater song's out:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2015/04/28/402772268/vikings-choice-weedeater-bully

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Detective Thompson posted:

Any Boston-area goons, there's a doomfest going on at O'Brien's tonight at 8pm. My buddy's band Sea will be opening, pretty excited to finally get a chance to see them.

Which other acts are gonna be there?

Edit:
Leather Lung
Vile Creature
Hepatagua

Are the other acts

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Do you guys prefer II or III by Toner Low? I only have enough money to order one CD and I can't decide....

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Saw Vile Creature Saturday night in Boston. I have to say, it was some pretty heavy poo poo, and not just musically. The guitarist/vocalist has been through some awful poo poo in his life, and it comes through in the music. He's very up front with it all, and it's nice to see something genuinely angry and sad and hateful, not just something made up. It's some slow, mournful doom, and I was pretty moved by it watching them live. If you get a chance to see them, do it. Talk them up afterwards. It's worth it, I think. Here's the remaining dates for this tour:

12 May - Richmond, VA @ Church of Abe
13 May - Virginia Beach, VA @ TBA
14 May - Washington DC @ Hot Tub House
15 May - Pittsburgh, PA @ City Grows
16 May - Philadelphia, PA @ LAVA
18 May - Allentown, PA @ Alternative Gallery
19 May - Brooklyn, NY @ Don Pedro's
20 May - Rochester, NY @ Bug Jar
21 May - Buffalo NY @ Sugar City
22 May - St. Catharines, ON @ the Temple
23 May - Kitchener-Waterloo, ON @ North & Coldwater House

https://vilecreature.bandcamp.com/releases

Man this makes me wish I had made it out to see this show :( That was the one with Ocean right?

Next doom show in MA is Crowbar with Lord Dying in July as far as I know...sucks :(

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

No, this was with Sea, Hepatagua, and Leather Lung at O'Brien's. I thought Ocean was gone.

Here's some upcoming doom in Boston for ya:

Awesome! I'm gonna be hitting up that show.

Also, High on Fire and Pallbearer are touring and they are hitting up Boston in June or July I believe.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Does anyone know where I can get a CD of the Bell Witch demo? The one with the Masque of Red Death sample. I can't find it anywhere :(

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

What are some bands that sound like 40 Watt Sun?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Perfect, thank you!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Stoked for this:

Album Cover:

Oh man I'm loving psyched! I hope they do a tour to go along with it. I actually dig that album cover too...very colorful and bright for an Ahab album.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I always get so confused about Dixie Dave's relationship with Bongzilla. From my understanding they have a new bassist?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

big scary monsters posted:

Temples Festival report: I had a great time - loads of good bands, excellent value, it seemed well organised with almost all shows running to schedule and the queues were not too bad, although they ran out of beer on tap on day 2! :ohdear: But I'd gladly buy tickets for next year now with no knowledge of the lineup.

Surprise hit for me were Slabdragger who were much better than I was expecting and had a decent groove (https://slabdragger.bandcamp.com/album/regress). Loved Weedeater and Bongzilla too, really fun. Goatsnake were great live and their new material sounds good. Earth played a couple of old tracks - High Command and Ouroboros is Broken, which was cool. Pig Destroyer's grind set was disappointing and pretty dull but they also played the entirety of Natasha as a second set and that was worth watching. Torche were thunderous but suffered from having their set early in the day, and Pallbearer I wasn't impressed with at all.

There is still no other experience like watching Sunn O))) live and I think that was the loudest I've seen them, breath taking in a completely literal sense. Apparently they played a Burning Witch cover (Jubilex) but I wouldn't have known had I not been told. I really liked Attila on vocals, sinister and evocative but still with expression - last time I saw them they had Malefic and I wasn't that impressed with him.

Wait, do you mean Atilla of Mayhem fame? I didn't know he played with Sunn.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I didn't know that, but that's awesome. Thanks!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Can anyone reccomend some doom that "chugs" kinda like they do in deathcore music?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Perfect, thanks!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

This old video of Acid King surfaced, before they released their first album. Thought you guys might be interested, supposedly the earliest live footage of them playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5AkUDbHIBY

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

nerve posted:

I'm so loving happy that I'm seeing Monolord holy poo poo

I am travelling 7+ hours from Boston to Buffalo just to see Windhand and Monolord.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

A human heart posted:

Can't speak for Monolord but Windhand are nowhere near good enough to make that kind of trip. They're not bad musicians or anything, but the music is pretty boring and they're not particularly impressive as a live act.

To be fair I have other business to do in Buffalo but the show is definitely a plus for me.

Normally I won't drive 7 hours to see a band unless maybe it's a festival.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I'm unable to go to the Crowbar/Lord Dying show in Worcester, MA today. I have two free tickets if anybody wants them.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Acid King announced their new tour today. Here are the dates:

October 16 San Diego, CA Brick By Brick
October 17 Los Angeles, CA Complex
October 18 Tucson, AZ SW Terrorfest (Club Congress)
October 19 Albuquerque, NM Sister
October 21 Austin, TX Red 7
October 22 New Orleans, LA Siberia
October 23 Atlanta, GA Drunken Unicorn
October 24 Raleigh, NC Kings
October 25 New York, NY Saint Vitus
October 26 Boston, MA Middle East
October 27 Philadelphia, PA Kung Fu Necktie
October 28 Cleveland, OH Now That’s Class
October 29 Chicago, IL Reggie’s
October 30 St. Louis, MO Firebird
October 31 Kansas City, MO Riot Room
November 1 Denver, CO Hi Dive

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Can anyone reccomend some more doom covers of blues/classics? I really dig Bongzilla's cover of "Champagne and Reefer" and Dopethrone's cover of "Ain't No Sunshine"

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Can anyone recommend some doom that incorporates post-rock into it similar to what Bongripper did on Hippie Killer?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Idioteque Dance posted:

That song is so loving good. I can't really think of much music that's combined post-rock with sludge metal ala Hippie Killer - all "post-metal" style music crosses that bridge, but isn't quite as dirty and fuzzy. Regardless I'd recommend early Pelican, Rosetta, Manatees and particularly Bossk's two EPs.

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll definitely check them out!

Though you're right, it's difficult to find stuff that hits the same spot, it seems everything is either too post rock or too metal. I hope Bongripper puts out more stuff like that though because Burt Reynolds is just so loving good.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

OpaqueEcho posted:

This might be what you're looking for. Cries of Dying Stars and Earth are standout tracks.

https://belowthesundoom.bandcamp.com/releases

That's different than what I was thinking but holy poo poo that was absolutely fantastic. Thanks man!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I thought this was pretty cool, shows a lot of how everything thinks Sunn O))) is better live, as the volume is so high the physical feeling of the sound is part of the experience.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Speaking of the Melvins, I've only listened to Stoner Witch, which album do I jump into next?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Can anyone reccomend the best earbuds for doom/sludge? I'm trying to find the best ones that can really deliver that bass and low tones (as well as earbuds can really)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thanks for the recommendations on the earbuds everyone!

One more kinda weird question: is there a picture of Dixie when he had dreads? I couldn't find one.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I think I found some searching for "dixie buzzoven" (another band he is in): https://www.google.com/search?espv=...O1Gvhbs#imgrc=_

I think this is him.

I think this is him as well

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I'm curious if there are any stoner/doom "jam bands" for lack of a better term. Not in terms of the actual songs, but if you think of bands like the Grateful Dead or the String Cheese incident and how a lot of it is just them jamming out and improvising and all that. Is there anything like that with crushing fuzz and downtuned instruments?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thank you everyone for the suggestions, I got a lot to check out!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Mars Red Sky has an new EP out in a week and new album out in March. I highly recommend them if you are into spaced out psychedelic fuzz stoner doom rock with nice higher pitched vocals (nothing crazy, the dud is just kind of small so think Paul Simon's register). They can be very accessible and still really heavy.
Here's a video for a song off the new EP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI6Uj61gFFw

Here's an instrumental track off the last Album, it's based on a super simple riff that is so good, when they finally get heavy with it at the end it's very satisfying. The melodic wah pedal guitar work on this really nice too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrQ9yclWg8w

Start here with their self titled album if you want to do it right: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uyxZZTodsE
I was in love with the music within the first 30 seconds and the vocal treatment just made it better.

They are a great band and every so often I feel compelled to try to let people know about them.

I really dig this. It's kinda got an Uncle Acid vibe.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Weed+RPG character class=Name of a stoner doom band.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Robophile posted:

Yes, this is definitely a Conan album.

Edit: There are some pretty decent moments here, and I especially like the opening riff on Every Man is an Enemy, but my god they need to lose this vocalist.

I'm with you there. I really liked what I listened to in regards to instrumentation, but that vocalist sounded like he was trying to work Dopesmoker-esque vocals into it and it really doesn't work. Still digging the album though.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Is the Eyehategod live DVD worth buying? Any good stuff on it? Audio quality good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Dyna Soar posted:

there's plenty of really high q. soundboard lives on youtube. i'd buy it just to own it.

Yeah I've seen all of those, was looking for more of that in the DVD but I think I'll probably just spend the DVD money on tickets next time they tour.

The rear end Stooge posted:

That Agoraphobic Nosebleed track is so, so loving good. Oh my god. Can anyone recommend me more stuff like that, i.e. sludge with huge, gnarly riffs, crusty vocals, and a smattering of southern rock influence? I already love Eyehategod, particularly their most recent album; the guitar tones on that record are just delicious.

Dopethrone, especially Hochelaga and Dark Foil.

Maybe Superjoint Ritual? It's not straight up sludge but I think you'll like it. Jimmy Bower is the guitarist.