Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
A band I don't see mentioned very often would have to be The Kings Of Frog Island. They're an English stoner band, and they released a trilogy of albums before disbanding. They combine really fuzzy, riff-driven stoner rock with delta blues influences and really creepy harmonies. It's an interesting take on the genre, I figured you guys might enjoy it if you've never heard them before. Their second album, II, is usually considered the best but the whole trilogy is pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7Q0K1NkZXk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMSDjAzwp2M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

Psychedelius posted:

They are indeed pretty good and you'll probably be glad to hear that they are currently putting the finishing touches on a fourth album.

Oh, really? I haven't heard anything about that. I just assumed they were done after Matt Bethancourt left. That's fantastic news though.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

A couple of years back, I was on Youtube, watching videos of the band Bigelf (themselves quite a good progressive/psychedelic rock band if you're into that sorta thing) and for whatever reason, one of the related videos was a song called Made of Rats by Orange Goblin.

It happens to feature guest vocals by John Garcia and the whole album was produced by Scott Reeder, so I was already in the Kyuss ballpark before I even knew it.

Anyway, I loved the stuff I was hearing on Coup de Grace, so I started checking out their other songs, which inevitably led me to Kyuss.

From there I spread out to Queens of the Stone Age, Brant Bjork, Hermano, Slo Burn, etc. Also bands like Dozer and Fatso Jetson. If it got labelled desert rock, I was there.

Then I started getting into heavier stuff. Melvins was first, and then more doomy stuff like Saint Vitus, Warning, and Electric Wizard. Thus began the descent into bands like Weedeater and Buzzoven.

I still have the fondest part of my heart dedicated to lighter desert rock like Kyuss, Yawning Man, Brant Bjork, and etc. but I love it all. So here we are.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

I don't believe this has been mentioned, so here ya go.

http://www.desertfest.de/index.php/news.html

DesertFest in Berlin is going to be pretty special this year. Dozer, Unida, and Lowrider are reuniting for the line-up in April.

The Lowrider show seems to be a one-off thing, and I can't imagine Unida will do much else what with Garcia and Vista Chino, but I'd love to see a tour and a new album out of Dozer. I still consider Through The Eyes Of Heathens to be one of the most important stoner rock records out there.

If there are any Berlin goons here, you better go and tell us how it went.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

farmtrill posted:

e: have any of the last few brant solo records been any good? the last one i heard was the double disc one after local angel and it really pissed me off. re-writing the same songs over and over. brant definitely lost it on that one. did he pull it back on later albums?

Punk Rock Guilt and Gods & Goddesses aren't bad. G&G is the better of the two, he kinda takes a turn in his sound from laid-back desert rock to much more direct and riff-driven stoner rock. I think it works out for him. No one else out there really sounds like him.

As far as Vista Chino goes, I'm gonna have to disagree with peeps here and say I enjoyed it. Looking at it as a new Kyuss album is pointless, because nothing they could release could live up to that. At this point, it's just a John Garcia project with Brant Bjork on it, and it's pretty drat good for being that. The second half of the album is great. Not one of my favorite albums of 2013, but it's not terrible. Plus I was super excited to see that Brant gets vocals on one track.

Brant seems to get a lot of influence on this record in general, something he never got much of in Kyuss. Adara is one of the best tracks, and that is just pure Brant.