Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lighthugger
Mar 27, 2018

Nostalgia for Infinity
About Lost in Vegas, ’m really interested in seeing them start to move further into the more experimental genres. I’d love to see them tackle Within the Ruins, Bongripper (only sex tape, it’s gotta be the shortest/most accessible imo), Cult of Luna, Isis, and maybe even Ghengis Tron (rip).

It’s super cool seeing them fall in love with groove metal; it reminds me of falling in love with Lamb of God and Gojira for the first time, and how that very quickly led me to experience Grasping Air by Yob for the first time, which changed my musical life.
It’s kinda fun going through my music and thinking about what George Ryan would find cool!

It does bum me a little when fans are suggesting their favorite songs, and not the most accessible ones. Their Dream Theater vids are the perfect example.
First, they did Metropolis pt 1, a super wanky prog metal concept song from the 90’s which was dream theater at their least accessible. Didn’t like it.

Then, they revisited with As I Am, one of the 2000’s DT songs that’s HEAVILY influenced by Zakk Wylde and touches on groove/modern metal with some of the riffs. As that one is actually approachable and pretty cool, they called out the fans who’d suggested metropolis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lighthugger
Mar 27, 2018

Nostalgia for Infinity
YOB - Grasping Air

Thou - Summit (whole album)

Ahab - Call of the Wretched Sea

The Ocean - Precambrian (okay, more prog but amazing and they just came out with the sequel)

Isis - Oceanic

And for good measure, the list of non popular sds bands that changed my musical life - these are probably more recommended than the above since they’re not huge:

Adrift for Days - The Lunar Maria

KAMNI - A.T.O.M. and self titled

Horseback - The Invisible Mountain

Jack and the Bearded Fishermen - Places To Hide

Judd Madden - Drown/Float

Major Kong - Orogenesis

Moss - Sub Templum

Natural Snow Buildings - Shadow Kingdom (not sds, just cool drone)

Snailking - Samsara

Tank 86 - Rise

Warhorse - As Heaven Turns to Ash

35007 - Sea of Tranquility