Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Oh man this is the first I've heard of Lento. I'm really excited about them. Earlier today I was thinking about asking this thread if someone could point me to a doomy crushing band that does some weird time/pattern stuff. For lack of a better comparison: kind of like a doom/stoner/psychedelic Meshuggah. I really like that it's instrumental.

are there any more bands that are kind of like that?

I'm in Lento love :swoon:

Not very psychedelic or dark, but some people were going absolutely nuts over these guys five or six years ago in NMD, and they certainly don't stick to 4/4. Progressive stoner metal band (also instrumental) Zebulon Pike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.
Not as dark as, say, Catacombs, but I'm partial to Esoteric for funeral doom. The Secret of the Secret is one of my favorite songs ever. Absolutely beautiful stuff.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

Sounds like several goons are going to be at the Yob/Dark Castle/US Christmas show tonight at Kings. I'll be wearing this Nokturnal Mortum shirt. Say hello!

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

Necro-tron posted this on his Facebook wall as "Christian jazz" and I happen to think it's pretty awesome. I think you will too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVINOkc0nJE

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

Their first album was pretty bland, but the band haarp (on Phil Anselmo's label) released a fantastic record last year called Husks. The vocals are some of the best I've heard in sludge... sinister as hell, but almost completely intelligible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7oKJ3VYOz4

Optimum Gulps fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 23, 2013

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

I saw Baroness opening for Opeth (with High On Fire as main support...hell of a lineup) and Baroness were my favorite that night. I think this was just after Red Album came out, and I've never heard them before.

Definitely worth seeing!

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

I posted this in the main metal thread, but it fits better here. One of my albums of the year for sure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTW1VsqiNV4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzSeiGa0vec

It's a collaboration between two bands from St. Louis, The Lion's Daughter (sludge metal) and Indian Blanket (folk).

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Didn't know whether to post in here or the post-rock thread. Here goes:

Looking for more stuff like Earthless. Purely instrumental, verges on jam-session form/length.

You might also enjoy Zebulon Pike. Instrumental doom/prog rock, not quite in the same psychedelic style but excellent stuff nonetheless.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hBUK8hCVIM

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

On that note, I can't wait to see Boris with Subrosa and The Atlas Moth in a couple weeks :hellyeah:

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

Velocirocktor posted:

Holy poo poo, THAT's who's opening on this tour? I didn't think I could be more excited.

I know! When I first checked my local venue's website, it just said Boris. Went back about a week later to make sure I was mentioning the correct date to a friend of mine, and I saw the openers posted...so excited.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I can't believe Pallbearer is playing with Tombs on Halloween night in Chapel Hill, NC. The club is on Franklin St. and the entire NC college scene turns the street into something like this...

There's no way anyone is getting close to the town let lone the street the venue is on that night.

Not only that, but Halloween is on a Friday this year, so it's right at the end of a week of classes! :argh: I am not looking forward to trying to get there.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I can't believe Pallbearer is playing with Tombs on Halloween night in Chapel Hill, NC.
There's no way anyone is getting close to the town let lone the street the venue is on that night.

I sent in a comment on the Profound Lore website to that effect...doubt it'll do any good, but worth a shot. Lincoln or Kings would be a lot better.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

ruddiger posted:

There's a band called Tryptycon? Are they any good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQsuagpSDtM
answer: yes

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

yoober posted:

there's a band that comes through my local small venue that runs 8 cabs that size and it's loud as hell

Magma shirt :circlefap: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4Lu2ELWN0A

Only the second metal musician I've seen wearing one (the other being Sam Smith, bassist of Artificial Brain). I'm definitely going to have to check out Beast in the Field!

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

Snowy posted:

What a great week of shows, just saw Ufomammut, Conan, and last night Portal all at Saint Vitus in Brooklyn.

I'm kinda glad I live nowhere NYC. Even if I made a decent wage, I think I'd still be broke if I lived in the area just from going to either St. Vitus or The Stone almost every night.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

Polegrinder posted:

Man, I wish there was a doom band that used crazy instruments like a hurdy gurdy, nyckleharpa, wheelharp, etc. It could sound pretty awesome, just real heavy and interesting.

They don't really have any other songs that sound like this at all, but:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hlyjjt8EQ68
That's cello with a distortion pedal, by the way, not guitar. Their other stuff is an awesome hybrid of prog, punk, and klezmer, but that track's pretty heavy.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

abske_fides posted:

Sounds good! To me the top crop of funeral has always been Skepticism, Mournful Congregation and Longing for Dawn

Surely you jest!

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

big scary monsters posted:

Hell yeah. My boring Esoteric story: back around 2007 I used to run into their then guitarist at doom shows all over the north of England and one time I got a ride back from Manchester in their van (I think I was seeing Atavist, Bossk and Winters in Osaka) . They are a good band and cool dudes.

Back around the same time, I ordered a Metamorphogenesis t-shirt from them, and despite it showing up as available on the website, it was out of stock with no reprints on the horizon. I found that out when, about a week later, I received a package from Greg containing a different shirt from his own collection (European Tour 2005, cool design, black with very dark grey art) along with a CD-R of their OOP demo, an apology letter, and an offer to refund half the money, which I refused...just wouldn't feel right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

chunkles posted:

Tool gets some really good bands to open for them. Not sure how it goes down as I've never been.

They had Meshuggah touring with them when I saw them on their Lateralus tour (Fall 2002), and that didn't go over too well. I was a huge fan already, but the audience wasn't feeling it. Certainly didn't help that it was in an arena (14k+ capacity) and the sound was complete poo poo.