Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm looking for bands that blend doomy-sludgy bass and drums with reverb-y shoegaze guitar and vocals - kind of like if Alcest used doom as a foundation instead of black. Can anyone recommend a band like this, or something similar?

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

nerve posted:

Old Witch is the first band that came to mind

http://oldwitch.bandcamp.com/

Not really what I meant in terms of vocals, but I like their sound anyway, so thanks!

THIS is closer to what I'm talking about. Like a 50/50 fusion of dreamy and doom. Really digging this.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

sticklefifer posted:

I'm looking for bands that blend doomy-sludgy bass and drums with reverb-y shoegaze guitar and vocals - kind of like if Alcest used doom as a foundation instead of black. Can anyone recommend a band like this, or something similar?

This is from a few pages back and I got some good suggestions, but I found a band that completely scratches this itch for me:

Year of No Light

Pretty much exactly what I wanted. No vocals on this album, but their older stuff does which is also very good.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Seriously digging on Of Solitude and Solemn right now. Atmospheric/post-metal doom. There's only an EP and a demo, but it's all good stuff and most songs are 10+ minutes.

Demo: http://ofsolitudeandsolemn.bandcamp.com/album/of-solitude-and-solemn
EP: http://ofsolitudeandsolemn.bandcamp.com/album/starlights-guide

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Seventh Mode posted:

Oh hey. This guy is one of my best friends. I'm not even into post-metal, but I love the poo poo he makes. Literally one of the sweetest guys I've ever met, as a side note.

Please tell me he's making more. :pray:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Crackerman posted:

So John Garcia finally released his solo album.

It’s not terrible, although it doesn’t break any new ground or anything. It’s better than the Vista Chino album, partially because it’s shorter and more streamlined, but it’s pretty much exactly what you’d expect from a John Garcia solo album.

It kind of sounds like if Kyuss stayed together but started running out of steam after 6 or 7 albums.

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I'm still trying to get into the album, I've only gotten to stream a couple of the tracks so far, the production sure is an improvement from the first album. Though I slightly miss the sound they had going on the first album with the melody guitar parts. So far the vocals seem like a huge step up and pretty impressive. Maybe that's what's getting peoples attention?
THAT'S what I'm missing. I couldn't put my finger on why I like Sorrow & Extinction better, and that's exactly the reason.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I don't know what the schedules are like for the other stages on the final night, but Year of No Light are fantastic live.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Thanks to whoever recommended Zebulon Pike's "Space is the Corpse of Time" in one of these metal threads or another. It's a weird album sometimes but it's full of doomy-proggy goodness and I'm really enjoying it.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Year of No Light / Bagarre Generale have a new split:

https://musicfearsatan.bandcamp.com/album/year-of-no-light-bagarre-generale-split-lp

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

fyodor posted:

lol "heavydeath" I enjoy the stoner doom but band name creativity is not a strong suit.

:350: Guys... guys... let's name our band... Bongbonger! :2bong:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Inter Arma released another advance track from their new album:

http://www.invisibleoranges.com/an-interview-with-inter-arma-and-new-song-stream-primordial-wound/

Really looking forward to this, The Cavern was fantastic.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The loudest band I ever saw was The Boredoms. They're loud as hell to begin with (9 simultaneous drummers when I saw them), but they also played at a tech school with a brand new state of the art venue with acoustics designed for no sound to escape. You could feel the sound rattling your guts through the whole show.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm listening to the new Pallbearer and it feels like a return to form. I loved their first album but wasn't all that into their 2nd. It was missing a lot of the guitar harmonies that made the first one really memorable. Liking it so far.

DEAR RICHARD posted:

The Pillorian album is pretty drat good.

Still miss the gently caress out of Agalloch though

Has the other Agalloch spinoff released any material yet?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

A human heart posted:

well, if the press is inaccurate then it might make sense to be a bit annoyed. Also if the press is giving them attention at the expense of other, better bands, which maybe isn't the case here but has certainly happened in the past.

If there's one thing consistent about metal fans though it's their willingness to quickly turn on something that gets mainstream attention. Inter Arma was underrated for years and then got on a bunch of 2016 year-end top 10 lists, then suddenly a bunch of haters came out of the woodwork just because other people liked it. Paradise Gallows is a fantastic prog-sludge album but it's like being really awesome is some horrible detriment for a lot of people.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 31, 2017

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Juaguocio posted:

New Elder has some great instrumental parts, but I feel like the vocals sound less and less suited to their music with each successive album.

I wasn't a fan of Nick's vocals on their self-titled. Then from Dead Roots up until Reflections it sounded like he was doing sort of an Ozzy thing. Which was fine, but it kind of didn't matter because there'd be like 1 minute of singing in a 15 minute song, especially on stuff like Lore. I like the synthy prog stuff on Omens, but for lack of a better term, Nick's vocal delivery sounds... "jowly" I guess?

If there's one gripe I have about Elder it's that they often save some of their best riffs for outros. They could have whole songs based around the riffs introduced in the last 1-2 minutes of songs like Lore, Sanctuary, or Halcyon, but they don't even start until like 10-12 minutes into the song and then they just fade out. Sometimes the songs even seems like they end before those riffs kick in, so it's like a teaser for a totally separate song they'll never actually write.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 8, 2020

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Snowy posted:

Speaking of inter arma covers, the vinyl is pretty and there’s copies left

https://interarma.bandcamp.com/album/garbers-days-revisited

Looking forward to hearing their version of Hard Times
The two tracks I'm most curious about are March of the Pigs and Purple Rain, which is a WILD spectrum of songs in the first place.

They've been one of my faves since Sky Burial & The Cavern, and as some have said they're amazing live, especially just watching TJ and his endless stamina. If you haven't seen it, here's TJ effortlessly aping John Bonham when he was 7 years old. Dude was born to drum.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Better yet, it's two volumes: Seminar VIII & IX.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

I've been a huge fan of ERR for years, but I wonder when she's just going to cave in and start an actual metal band already. She's so metal-adjacent and guests for heavy bands so often that she might as well. Marriages is great, but they're alt-rock/hard rock at best.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

chunkles posted:

i'd settle for just another marriages or red sparowes album

I mean yeah, same, but still. I guess there's a collab album with Thou coming at some point, so that'll have to do for now.

I know RS had a reunion gig not too long ago, so maybe there's more on the horizon. Her last solo album sounded more like Marriages than her previous stuff and she toured with a full band this time, so that's probably the best we'll get for a while.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Darthemed posted:

Chubby Thunderous Bad Kush Masters are just an adjective or two from being a real contender.

I kinda like the simplicity of just naming your band Bong though.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I've been listening to Huntsmen lately and they have a really interesting sound. Big mix of doom/post/prog/stoner/sludge, with a combo of classic rock harmonies and growled vocals.

One of their Bandcamp tags is "americana metal" and I feel like that's fairly accurate. I started with their 2018 release, but they just put out a new double album a few months ago.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I loved Type O, but I totally get why they're divisive. Leaning into the whole goth thing was a prolonged joke (and presumably an easy way to get more girls at their shows than a hardcore band who sings about killing cheating girlfriends), and even the 'serious' albums are full of dark humor. Their songs are really fun to play on bass too. I met them all once after a show, and they were all very cool and really appreciated their fans. Kenny was sick so he couldn't talk for long, but still made an effort anyway. I talked to Josh about his Moog, had a beer with Johnny, and Peter was a real sweet guy and just as self-deprecating IRL. And he was HUGE. He towered over everyone.

What led to Pete Steele's death was pretty sad too. Late in the band's career they were contracted by WWE to write new entrance music for the wrestler Kane. It would've really given them a ton of mainstream exposure, and they worked hard on it and were really proud of it. But at the last moment WWE pulled out and gave the song to Finger Eleven instead, and didn't even tell them at first. Apparently the deal falling through drove Pete Steele into a deep depression and he started abusing substances again. He got clean in his later years, but the damage to his body was already done. There's a pretty long list of lives Vince McMahon has ruined, but that one really pissed me off.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Yeah, I was talking about early Type O. There are a scant few sections of SD&H where it seems like Peter JUST realized he could actually sing instead of shout, and they ran with it after that.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The whole Dirt Redux cover album is pretty solid.

https://reduxrecords.bandcamp.com/album/dirt-redux

Khemmis's cover of Down in a Hole is really good.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Oct 1, 2020

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
If anyone's a Novarupta fan, Mike from Inter Arma did some guest vocals on their new album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKAKlDkI7MA

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
People still smoke? I thought it was all vapes and oils and volcanoes and gummies now.

Me, I mainline my weed.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Detective Thompson posted:

Saw this earlier today. Love seeing Inter Arma live, and it's far enough in the future to see how live shows go before this one happens. I live closer to Boston, but have friends in NYC and have been wanting to get back to St. Vitus, so two of those dates work for me.
Inter Arma is fantastic live. I had tickets to Deafheaven/Inter Arma before the pandemic, and they ended up canceling instead of rescheduling, so I really hope they link up again in 2022. I saw both open for Carcass a few years back and the whole show ripped.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Not content, but this is a slow thread so gently caress it. I'm seeing so many potential S/D/S band, song, and album names on this car.

Fear God, The Devil, An Them Evil Voices
Them Evil Voices
I got saved because I'm afraid of hell
Is your lover the devil
2 voices in your head

My new post-rock band is called 2 Hour Parking At All Other Times

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Boredoms were easily the loudest band I've ever seen, and it's not even close. Earplugs were almost not enough. Part of it was that they performed in a venue specifically designed for trapping acoustics. If you walked outside you couldn't hear a thing, but as soon as you opened the door you'd be assaulted by a wall of sound. But it's also that they had 7 drummers and insane guitar effects. I could feel the reverb in my chest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Huntsmen released a cover of Crosby, Stills & Nash's 'Carry On' ahead of their upcoming EP.

https://huntsmen.bandcamp.com/track/carry-on

Really on-brand for them since their style is pretty much blending stoner doom & CSNY-style harmonies. I think I've recommended them here before.