Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric
I've been on a bit of a drone kick this week, but I'm having trouble finding something that suits my taste. I really dig a bunch of the recommendations in the OP and figure maybe yall can point me in the right direction. Random/glitch/noise types just don't do it for me right now. Early Earth seems so close, super simple and focused on the guitar's tone, but the sound is way too clean.
Its hard to explain, maybe an example of what I want will help: http://soundcloud.com/modemo/evil-procrastination

It doesn't have to be that simple, but maybe something I can play around with, or play over, or keep on in the background w/o getting too distracted. I dunno... Doom Goons, can ya help a brother out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric
Yessss... That'll do nicely. Looks like they've got a number of releases out going back a ways, should keep me busy.
Thanks

edit: any others?

Xlyfindel fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 14, 2011

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric
Got a link to the new Boris video yesterday http://pitchfork.com/tv/#/music-videos/558-boris/2765-hope-riot-sugar/
Wata.
I don't even know wtf, but I'm mad as hell right now since I missed them last time they came through.

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric

Asnorban posted:

And completely opposite I thought they were great live. They could have come out and played just the Great Cessation and I would have been happy.

Just saw them last night and I have to agree. Their usual drummer was out though they still crushed. They also played one song off The Great Cessation and it was incredibly heavy.
In general I'm not a big fan of vocals, but i guess hearing them live makes all the difference. Dark Castle's were pretty drat intense, and a couple of Yob's were loving surreal.

There was a local act opening, and they might have been alright, but the lead decided to crank his poo poo way too loud in the middle of the first song so i listened to the rest of their set from outside.

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric
Not to derail too much, but I know we have some musicians in here and I need an opinion about a fuzz pedal... I've been looking around and need help choosing between a Fuzzy Lady from PlumCrazy FX or a Hoof from Earthquaker devices. Or maybe another one I just missed completely? I'm leaning towards the Hoof right now.

For content, I picked up Elder's new release Dead Roots Stirring last week and got around to listening to it today, and I gotta say its another pretty solid release by Meteorcity. I guess they have pretty good ear for choosing their lineups cause so many oftheir bands consistently nailed that stoner/sludge sound. I'm not blown away or anything, but it was like :10bux: so I'm not disappointed at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izca21HMt20

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric
Oh yeah I know, its taken me a while to narrow it down to those 2.
I don't play stoner/doom exclusively, so I'd like to be able to use it for other things. But I do play it for fun and I want to be able to nail that sound and maybe a couple others when I do so I figured I'd ask here. I've been getting close with just my overdrive cranked to fuzziness, but it isn't the same as a dedicated fuzz. Thanks for the Black Arts tip, definitely good stuff there.

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric

Friends Are Evil posted:

About to go see Boris, I'm really excited for it.

Would love to hear what their set-list is like, i'll be seeing them in New Orleans or Austin this weekend.

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric
Nice, I really had no idea what to expect but that is definitely good to hear, thanks.

Also thanks to everyone who recommended Celeste here a while ago, I finally got around to listening to their stuff over last month and I liked it a lot. A whole lot.

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric

nomapple posted:

Seventh Rule are giving everything away for free on their Bandcamp for Black Friday. Go download some Kongh, Indian, BATILLUS, Lord Mantis and Author & Punisher.

Also Panopticon is the best ISIS album.

Thanks, just found Speak Loud Say Nothing by Wizard Rifle there and I think its loving good, it isn't free, but if the other songs are as good or better than Megatherium I might get it.

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric
Boris has tons of stuff so it might change depending on what you like, but I don't think you can go wrong with Pink or Heavy Rocks (the first one).

Melvins gots tons too, but I started with Gluey Porch Treatments and don't regret it at all

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric

QPZIL posted:

Very awesome.

Huge, Rainbow, Pink, Vanilla, Statement, Angel, Cosmos, and then Flood in its entirety.

My eardrums got blown out my butthole.

edit-- and I will say that if anyone knows how to do atmosphere with fog and lights, it's Boris.

Hell yeah dude, I saw them on Saturday playing an outdoor stage and the sound, lights, and smoke were like perfect.

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric
can anyone tell me if the 1997 Ahab - Käpt'n Ahab are the same as the 2006 Ahab that put out call of the wretched sea? They sound really different and one tracklist/album is in German while the other is in English so I'd like to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric

Polegrinder posted:

New YOB track from Roadburn. Pretty brutal! Hopefully it works, youtube has been a turd all day today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BxCSeVfmQg

Last time I saw Yob they had Dark Castle's drummer and it was super dope. If they have a new album coming out and are going to tour soon I am going to be so loving hyped, the venue they played here has closed down but they are so good I'd travel to see them if they play nearby in a place like Austin.

I really want to see a good Drone set played live for once, something like Black Boned Angel or stuff off of Altar w/ Sunn0))) anyone know of some bands still doing that or planning to soon?