Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

've lived a thousand times. I found out what it means to be GBS.

Just put this on based on the previous few comments. Reminding me of a sludgier Earthless so far. What a jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

Snowy posted:

All metal is dad metal

I do however concur on never getting into baroness. It’s just never really stuck for me. Mastodon however.. Leviathan, blood mountain, and crack the skye are near perfect records and I will argue with people over that fact :colbert:

Also Brann is an absolute beast on drums.

However there is one key ingredient to all of Mastodon’s best songs: Scott Kelly

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

hatelull posted:

Scott Kelly is featured in this short rear end live set and it slays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEVSPWOnyeQ

I was cool with some of the early Baroness records. I want to say Blue is good and I like Yellow & Green. I could not get into that latest one at all.

I've watched that video countless times. Mastodon at its best lmao

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Scott Kelly should just be Mastadons lead vocalist full time.

I do find it incredibly cool that Brann and Scott bonded when today is the day toured with neurosis to the point that Scott Kelly is routine called up (and agrees) to guesting on songs. Turning them into Mastodons best songs.

More than any other concert this year (aside from hitting Wacken) I was looking forward to and hoping for a Neurosis west coast outing. Didn't get to see them play in my area in 2019 so I figured I would get to this year. gently caress off covid

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

Yeah neurosis is just out of this world. Their concerts are a singular experience. I only saw them for the first time in 2015 or so as well and I regret not making a point to see them sooner all the time.

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

Snowy posted:

I started listening to them when the word as law came out and just never bothered to see them live :negative:

E- my friend even booked this show

I’m an idiot

I just didn’t start getting deep into metal until about 2011. I grew up a punk and even though metal was around me I didn’t pay it the attention I ought to have. Then I had an electronic music stint when I moved away from all of my band mates.

Only started really listening to neurosis in 2010-2011 and I will always ALWAYS regret not going to their back to back NYE shows in 2012.

I couldn’t get a ticket by the time I heard about it. I’m bummed all over again just thinking about it

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

When I saw Baroness live last year, they brought Scott Kelly our for like half an hour to do all their collab songs and it elevated the gig to absolute godly levels, Scott is just a loving beast on a mic. I saw him with Shrinebuilder and he was also great then.

Wait wait you mean mastodon right? does SK have songs with baroness?

also gently caress you for getting to see scott kelly with (i am assuming) mastodon. I mean it in the nicest sense of the word.

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

Eat The Rich posted:

I havent listened to much Neurosis but they are one of those bands that I've always wanted to see live.

Neurosis opens the gates live

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

they have 3 vocalists and they're all awesome and distinct from each other and it's one of my favorite things about the band, I dunno where they get that idea from

Agreed, one of the things that always keeps mastodon interesting to me. Then a 4th singer that steps in to blow the loving roof off once in a while.

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

Ingmar terdman posted:

The three distinct vocals is cool and used to effect on Oblivion but that was also the last time they really did it for me. I think it's a minority opinion by Crack the Skye was a letdown. Always spin their new release at least a couple times (the latest one was pretty solid)

Dang sorry to hear about Crack The Skye, I do love that album for sure. I did enjoy once more round the sun quite a bit for what it was when it came out, emperor of sand really didn’t do it for me at first but I’ve come to feel it’s a pretty solid album as well and has some bangers on it

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

Snapes N Snapes posted:

Brent sounds like a hoarse grandma with a cold tbh.

Thats kind of what makes me like it. I always feel like drat brent is really forcing some vocals out right now lmao

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

Finally getting a chance to sit down and listen to the new Pallbearer track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH9GggAVjpg

I kept thinking I wasn't into it at moments, then finding myself totally swept up in it. By the end of the song I found I really appreciated it and enjoyed it. Not sure why it was such a rollercoaster for me. I can't wait for the new album.

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

I just cant get into windhand.

I liked their split with cough when I heard it, and I bought soma, but it rarely gets play. I saw them live in early 2015 or so and I was bored. By the time griefs eternal flower came out I was over it, I haven't listened to eternal return.

That's my windhand post, I hope it doesn't trigger anyone.

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

Snowy posted:

Type O Negative on the other hand has felt corny to me since they first started. And I mean musically, let alone this kind of stuff

Hahaha man thats pretty cringey. I've never been a huge Type-O Negative fan, but like their "hits"

Pallbearer's cover of Love You to Death rules.

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

Zoben posted:

Just chiming in to say that I love Type O Negative and Peter Steele. I used to listen to a local radio station when I was like 13-14 in 1994 or so, this show called "The Mosh Pit" would be on from, say, 2 AM to 5 AM. I would listen to it and tape songs (on CASSETTE) which I liked or requested (on the LANDLINE PHONE), so the first one I heard was "We Hate Everyone" which I fell in love with, mainly because of the slower middle breakdown part. Their poo poo was so tongue-in-cheek and sardonic, and it was obvious that Pete was just being contrary and edgy in interviews and lyrics and such. I mean, yeah, today it's cringey but I loved reading the front page of SA in 2001, and the monkey cheese humor in the forums was a blast. Looking back at any post from then is awkward as gently caress.

I feel like Pete would have changed with the times and kept making killer romantic doom/goth music, maybe doing a more croon-y side project or something. Some of the edgelord imagery notwithstanding, by all accounts the guy was a sweet fellow at heart.

Nostalgic follow-up about that radio show: I used to listen to it and be a zombie the next day at school because I got 0-2 hours of sleep, but it was worth it. Through that show I discovered Korn when their first album came out in 94, when they were refreshing and heavy; I heard "Ball Tongue" and I thought they were like an odd Japanese band. I also discovered Acid Bath, which would make it worth it just by itself, Morbid Angel, Amorphis, also weirder stuff like Anal oval office, Brujeria, Gwar, and X-Cops. And TON of course.

Sounds like good times to me, I remember taping songs off the radio myself, though that was like 98. Classic

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

Vibing really hard to the latest Samsara Blues Experiment this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow7YUscjiO8

This album deserves a better (louder) listen than me trying to work and post in my basement while listening to it. At least I've got quality headphones on.

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

When it comes to Thou I like their albums, and I enjoyed the first few covers I heard. However at this point after hearing an entire album of nirvana covers among tons of other covers I think I'm just a bit oversaturated, and don't feel the need to hear his voice over every song by other bands.

That being said I loving WISH i had been at the Thou/Emma Ruth Rundle misfits cover set at the skatepark at roadburn.

Anyway...

Just noticed this in the OP

quote:

Melvins - Houdini - I... don't think I can quite explain The Melvins

Man I loving love Melvins. Pretty sure I've made that known since I began posting in this thread, but it never hurts to say it again. One of my all time favorite bands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgUMnLnRTi4

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

Snowy posted:

I haven’t listened to anything of theirs that’s come out in the last 15 years or so but I still consider them one of my all time favorites even if Buzz is turning out to be a dick.

I dragged a friend to this show at cbgbs 30 years ago because of all the things I had read about them in MRR.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2etSqqzJSbw

Turns out it was a full bullhead set but I didn’t know any particular songs at the time.

I was tripping on some green windowpane acid and the whole thing was revelatory. Now I feel like I already mentioned this here before but gently caress it.

After the show I had to tell the band how blown away I was so I pour my heart out to the bass player who finally says “thanks but I’m only in the band for this tour” :v:

Then I leaned against the rotting wall which bowed in, and combined with the acid I felt like I was falling through the wall. I think while I was bugging at that the dude snuck off.

Sounds like a hell of a time. Of course I'll always be most fond of early melvins, but I've found great appreciation for the (death) side of a walk with love and death. Nude with Boots is my easy favorite of their later catalogue.

And yeah, buzz... he's definitely wired differently. I mean poo poo he literally goes by "King"

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

Saw them at GAMH in SF in '11 or '12 with 2 drummers, that was a fully epic show. Last time I saw them was with 2 bassists, and that was definitely not as cool as 2 drummers, and to be honest I just found the sound too muddy with 2 bass players live. Still rocked though.

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

I'm so triggered right now.

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

Weaponized Cum posted:

This video is pure loving rock and roll art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFgzPojlwIE

The amount that this video excites me is the reason I am ok not knowing more about Buzz...

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

Parachute posted:

i forgive buzz on grounds that having lovely boomer opinions seems relatively minor compared to the sex creep/nazi stuff that im burning band bridges for left and right.
Lmao, yeahhhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

im_sorry posted:

Yeah... I guess he could be a lot worse. I was just expecting more from him, because the Jelvins happened.

I wonder if Dale is cool... I read somewhere that he got Eyehategod to officially change the name of their song "White N(ope)" to "White Neighbor" before he would play on it.

Dale has always seemed very very cool. So I hope he actually is.