Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
At least we can settle with the prospect of new Kyuss for the time being (or at least a "Kyuss Lives debut").

Think I'd much rather listen to a follow-up to Dopesmoker, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Psychedelius posted:

Is it wrong that I'm going to see EYEHATEGOD simply for the fact that Church of Misery are opening?
Not Bristol on Saturday by any chance? Because The Fleece is doing a small doom festival:

EYEHATEGOD + Church Of Misery + The Gates Of Slumber + Witchsorrow + Dopefight
+ Thread + Hang The Bastard + Crossbreaker

£15.

I know I'm gonna be there.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Psychedelius posted:

Oh I wish I was there. It's Vienna for me so it's Eyehategod, Chāchi obu Mizarī and Torn From Earth from Budapest.

Should be great, especially because I'll see Boris and Russian Circles just a few days later. Can't wait for the drummer to get his "WWOOOOOOOO" on.
Just found out Boris and Russian Circles played here a couple of days ago. How did I miss that :(

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
True, Shep's guitar doesn't actually play over the riff very much, a lot of it is slow textures and harmonies. I think if you learned them and put them in a new layer on the song it'd give it a fair bit more life.

Her voice is loving sick though, I hope she puts it to good use in the future.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, their first EP had a lot of potential so I'm glad to see them following up with something worthwhile. Anyone else get a big Bong vibe from this album? (the band I mean, although...) Particularly like the first half of track 3 for example.

I'm sober at the moment though so I look forward to listening to it tonight :)

Thanks also for people chiming in on guitar advice, I haven't quite got there with getting a proper amp yet (only just starting to get together with other fellow doomers), more getting the right guitar, pedal and tuning. Think I'm also gonna try out those ultra thick strings too, I usually go heavy but not quite 13-66. The very idea arouses me.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

What's different about the setup he plays now that minimizes the flop? Higher action? It seems like you would have to have more tension but I don't understand how that works without changing the pitch.

I've only been able to listen to it once and that was the day after my ears got the YOB live treatment but it does seem that the guitar sound has a lot less high end than most of their other albums. It almost has the "Elaborations of Carbon" sound. I don't think it sounds bad, just a touch different than the most of the others. I'll be able to make a better comparison when I get back home next week.
I agree, it definitely sounds like a deliberate artistic choice for the overall tone of the album. I'm really enjoying it so far ( :siren: The new YOB album is very good, least surprising news ever :siren: ) but a change in tone at least lets it stick out in the discography a bit. I was quite taken aback by it because it seems like YOB's production gets crisper by the album, but after giving it a few listens I'm enjoying it just as much as any other of their albums.

I'm seriously so jealous of all you fuckers getting to see them live.

Re: the strings. Sorry if this is a stupidly obvious answer but wouldn't simply replacing the string with a heavier gauge increase the tension? I'm not exactly a guitar tech so I'd like to be corrected if not. I put 60-13s in my guitar recently and tuned it into drop Ab (sort of: Ab Eb Ab Db Gb Bb, like a 7-string without the bottom string) but could probably do with a little less flop too.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
drat - the entire The Atomic Bitchwax discography for $5 (except for The Local Fuzz, understandably).

Anyone listened to Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats yet? Their LP "Blood Lust" is sick.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Saw Karma to Burn last night. Tight, solid, powerful, no bullshit stoner rock. The openers, Gentlemens' Pistols and Black Spiders played surprisingly not poo poo hard rock too. Met a guy who recognised me from roadburn too which is always nice.

Glad they got back together in any case!

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Not a huge surprise but pretty nice news, Scott Reeder is replacing Oliveri for Kyuss Lives.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

HMorg posted:

Has anyone mentioned Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats?
I just got their album yesterday, sounds like it's been pulled straight from the seventies. A cd pressing is out now and a vinyl pressing will be out soon.

Here's the track convinced me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjO5PuXJO48
Mentioned them a page or two ago, don't think I really stressed how much Electric Wizard/Sabbath/retro stoner doom fans need to check them out. It's a really great album - keep an eye on them, they're gonna get popular for sure.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I also really enjoyed "The Archer and The Owle" which seems to be an EP of Summmit b-sides. I never would've guessed that though, it's really solid.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

nosophoros posted:

SLEEP headlining Roadburn 2012, and Om is also attending.
Think I'm gonna sell my kidney if I don't have enough money.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Talking about going into post-rock territory, you'd definitely like *shels - Sea of the Dying Dhow. Ambient, atmospheric, cinematic but original post-rock with some brutally heavy sludge segments.

I wanted to say, though, that their new LP (Plains of the Purple Buffalo) is just stunning. It doesn't fit into this thread really, but people here who are into their post-metal should really check it out.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I've been jamming with a dude who's opening for Ufomammut in his band, so he's gonna try and get me backstage when they play in Bristol - let's hope so.

And then there's Yob a week or so after! For the first time in my life. Holy poo poo.

That said, you guys really make me want to put Earth 2 on repeat right now. It is a loving amazing record

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Listened to that album (Sonic Prayer) like three times tonight :)

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Weedeater are fuckin' great live, and the only band that for me have come close to Sunn O))) in terms of sheer volume. Definitely go for it.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
More great Roadburn news, Bongripper are playing two sets, one of them being Satan Worshipping Doom in full.

No words.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Just saw this, anyone going to this is a lucky person. I don't think they ever played Haillive yet.
Personally I love the whole album but when I'm in the mood for something heavy as poo poo, "Doom" really does it for me.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah I absolutely love the middle section - one of those riffs that's good enough on its own merits that it can be played over and over for 10 minutes. Nice use of delay/looping too. The ending is great, too. Good to hear their roots anyway but Hippie Killer is definitely a superior follow-up

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
So anyone else loving the new Black Cobra?

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Crimson Sox posted:

Church of Misery, Jesu and Pelican all playing on same day.
That is an amazing lineup.
Black Cobra are now on the bill, as well as Yob playing 2 sets; all of the unreal never lived on Friday and then all of Catharsis on afterburner. Plus a few other cool bands. Jeez roadburn, you're going to be amazing, WE GET IT.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I really enjoy Bardo Pond's self-titled; I was pretty gutted to miss them opening for Circle recently. Any suggestions for which ones to listen to next?

Slabdragger tomorrow!

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Elijah Snow posted:

Roadburn gently caress yeah.
Tickets in the bag. Gonna be the best weekend ever, again.

edit: My mate missed his alarm though - any suggestions where to keep an eye out for more tickets in the future? He's really gutted.
edit2: Nevermind! He kept refreshing ticketmaster and just scored 2.

Idioteque Dance fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Nov 26, 2011

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Elijah Snow posted:

Getting kinda freaked though, I still haven't received confirmation on my personal e-mail. I can see my ticket on the ticketmaster.nl website, but nothing came through yet...
If you can see it all purchased and confirmed on your ticketmaster account then I wouldn't worry. Obviously check your spam folder, otherwise just wait a while and send an email or two if it doesn't come after, say, a week.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Elijah Snow posted:

Yeah I'll mail that Walter guy tomorrow if this doesn't come through. So loving happy I get to go back there 5 years later. Virginia Hand Rolling Tobacco for a few more months and I can afford a nice stay and a shitload of weed while I'm there.

edit: Bunch of Portuguese friend and acquaintaces that are going this year too, yeeeeah
I've gone off the weed to line my pockets a bit lot more too - I foresee a heavy, heavy April.

It's fine, listening to Dopesmoker really loud is enough to get me stoned all by itself.

So three of my best mates, and other friends I made at the campsite last year all got their tickets. I really can't wait.

Idioteque Dance fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Nov 26, 2011

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

:( Sheeit.
Keep your eyes on this forum, you're bound to come across a spare ticket soon enough http://www.foreverdoomed.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=37

Also keep trying ticket master for the rest of the day. My friend got his an hour after it was "sold out". You never know.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
So this is coming in February:

Probably gonna own.

Know I've mentioned them before but The Christpunchers stuff is amazing, fans of Bongripper will lap it up. Check them out.
Just on the second track but that's a very good first impression

Idioteque Dance fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 2, 2011

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Has anyone checked out Juan Montoya (ex-Torche)'s new band Stallone? Their first EP is on bandcamp and I love it. He was clearly the guy in Torche who was way more into the heavy stoner sound than the other members and it shows, I enjoy it far more than Songs for Singles (if it's fair to compare the two like that).

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Fruits of the sea posted:

Red Sparowes is loving awesome too.
Speaking of, here's some good news for fans of experimental sludge, Bossk are reforming for (at least) a Maida Vale session recording, some new material and a couple of shows.

Got me listening to their EPs again, just fantastic stuff. Here's a song to check out for the uninitiated.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

West posted:

It's pretty rad.

On a coincidental note, this dumb poo poo redditor thinks I'm a member of Pallbearer.

This is the last time I cross post reviews on that poo poo hole.
That's a shame. I used to enjoy posting songs to the stonerrock subreddit, nothing but cool dudes there from my experience. There's a sludge subreddit now too.

Been pretty quiet over here in Bristol, but Orange Goblin are playing with Church of Misery, Dopefight and Slabdragger the day before we leave to the Netherlands - and we're planning on going to another gig in Tilburg the day before Roadburn starts, then there's Roadburn itself of course, plus the Afterburner. So... :stare:

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Crackerman posted:

The new album is a little bit fresher, but it's all sort of background music rather than something you actually listen to or get involved with.
You're right, it was a great choice when I decided to clean up my place a few days ago.

Really enjoying the new Earth album too, I wasn't entirely convinced at first but now I'm really loving it. Only problem is that it's over so soon.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I'm staying in the campsite again - I really hope it doesn't rain this time. Still, I slept pretty well with a nice sleeping bag (not to mention being really stoned). Met loads of cool dudes last time, so I'm looking forward to it.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
The forever doomed forum is probably the best place to ask. Not that you shouldn't ask here but it seems like it's where most tickets are bought and sold.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Don't think anyone's posted this yet, new Ufommamut track. It sounds like Ufomammut and it sounds awesome.

Really like the new High on Fire on first listen, I've had problems getting into them in the past - never held my attention much apart from the odd standout track.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
A friend of a friend can't get to roadburn and has a 3-day, non-camping ticket going at face value. PM me if you want in.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Sleep-Dopesmoker (2012 reissue)

Details on the Dopesmoker reissue.

Art by Arik Roper

Unfortunately there's nothing higher-res out at the moment so those hoping for a sweet new wallpaper will have to wait.
It's a great cover. Pretty much exactly what I imagine when I listen to it. Looking forward to hearing the changes from the 2003 version for sure.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I'm in Amsterdam at the moment with four friends coffeeshopping it up before Roadburn, getting into Tilburg on Thursday. We got to warm up with an amazing night in Bristol on Sunday - Slabdragger, Dopefight, Grifter, Church of Misery and Orange Goblin, definitely a gig I'll remember.

So if you want to say hi at the campsite, as ever I'll be the guy with the beard. (really though, I'm the guy with long curly brown hair and four other stoners, also my friend looks exactly like Ben Ward from Orange Goblin)

Can't wait!

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

nosophoros posted:

End of Roadburn. It's been fun knowing you, frequency that Black Cobra just obliterated. Might look into earplugs in the near future.
The plugs for 2 euros at the box office work way better than your supermarket ones.

Just got back myself, and man. So much incredible music this time. has anyone else seen Celeste before? because holy poo poo.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Sounds like them. I'm not familiar with them but their performance was amazing. They filled the room with smoke/fog to the point where the other rooms and corridors were bellowing smoke so we went to check it out - couldn't see anything more than 2 foot in front, except the band who had a red headlamp on their heads while they played. A simple trick but it really loving worked.

Obviously Bongripper, Yob, Sleep, etc all fantastic. Sleep got in a good 25 minutes of Dopesmoker at least. Almost no disappointments, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Dog Jones posted:

Yo dudes, I'm new to sludge metal really. Is there anything as wretched as Absolutego? I think I'm spoiled because nothing seems to push it far enough in comparison to that record.
Absolutego is an absolute monster but 00 Void by Sunn should give you a run for your money. You'd definitely like Earth2 by Earth though it's not quite as downright noisy, it's still a drone/doom classic.

Also try Vonn - Victim One (Agony), not listened to it in years but that's a solid hour of loud, sick, evil noises.

You really jumped into the deep end with that one!