Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

plester1 posted:

If you're going to be playing mostly at home, don't buy a high wattage Orange tube amp. You can really only dial in a volume between "deafening" and "obscene". A practice amp will be less than $100 and you'll actually be able to play at home without the neighbors calling the police.

Orange's small amps are nothing at all like the big ones and are basically interchangeable with any other brand's practice amp.

Listen to this post. Further, if you're just starting off on playing guitar, I'd focus a bit more on selecting a guitar that you're comfortable with that also sounds good. I'm not the biggest fan of Epis, personally. The PRS SE guitars offer much more bang for the buck and can be had used at good prices.

I've played sludge/doom-y stuff for many years, and in two bands my friend and I wrote 90% of our songs playing on Tech 21 Trademark 10 amps at low volume.

Don't invest in expensive gear until you've actually learned how to play guitar and you're ready to put a band together. If it's just you in a room, stick with a practice amp. Most of them are interchangeable and sound fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

Trabant posted:

QotSA have released a mocumentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Shgpssp9ZpA

Your amusement may vary, but it's still better than most "peek inside the studio" things bands release.

God I really want them to release an album worth listening to.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

The new Indian is incredibly good.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

DroneRiff posted:

So, because I some sort of slacker, I've yet to hear anything by Thou. As Heathen was going for cheap on Amazon, I've just ordered myself a copy. Given all the good talk from this thread, I'm sure I'll love it.

It's a scary band to get deep into because they put out a new album every four days.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

kirkjames posted:

The Body's solo albums are pretty loving boring for me, but both the collab albums they did are top-notch as far as crushing, slow music goes. The Haxan Cloak one is especially hateful.

Agreed, I never boarded The Body's hype train. They're better when they're working with someone else - feels like they pull out of their own asses more.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

Laserface posted:

I saw High on Fire last night. second time I have seen them and it was pretty obvious that Matt is recovering from a recent fall off the wagon :(

on the plus side it was still a good show and there is a lot more facial hair in the band now.

That's unfortunate, but it really is hard to imagine Pike sober.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I remember when I saw Sleep in Dublin a couple of years ago, Pike came out staggering all over the stage like a drunk. He then proceeded to break into the opening riff of Dopesmoker and he looked totally focused. It was either a really good act or the dude can really play drunk. Al was also ripping a bong between songs. So good.

I always thought he was a pretty severe alcoholic, to the point where he needs booze just to function. When he has enough he's fine.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

Tool have also had Isis and Mastodon (circa Blood Mountain I think) open for them.

I saw Isis open up for them, and I felt terrible for the band. The audience couldn't care less. I often wonder if that's why the band broke up (other than Aaron Turner needing to do his own thing in the mysterious forests of the Pacific Northwest)...Like they did those shows and figured, "This is as big as we're ever going to get, and this is what it's like, we've had our taste and let's pull the plug now."

Since I love Tool and Isis, I thought it was a great show. :(

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

Detective Thompson posted:

Would've liked to seen that show. But speaking of Aaron Turner, I'm going to see Old Man Gloom on Wednesday and I'm stoked as heck.

He seems to be in top form. I saw Sumac a few weeks back open for Neurosis and it was drat amazing.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

Snowy posted:

Is he really being a troll by bringing all those good bands on tour? I guess only if he knows that his fans are incredibly closed minded because that just seems like a cool thing to do otherwise.

I've never been able to get into any Tool but their seemingly consistent choices in quality opening acts make it seem like they have decent taste at least.

I think Maynard despises the Tool fanbase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

Detective Thompson posted:

Yeah, I saw the Neurosis show in Boston and Sumac was great. Was he working the merch table at your show, too?

Nah, Brian Cook was. Since I was a music journalist for a long time I always feel weird being a fanboy with people in bands, so I just bought a Sumac shirt and said I looked forward to the show. :)