Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Ordinary Jester posted:

Post-metal maybe? I've never liked that term because it sounds like metal is dead. I still think it fits this thread.

I think the Red Sparowes talk is in the post-rock thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Idioteque Dance posted:

Meanwhile, I just learned to play the oft-linked Dopefight - Saviour on guitar and while pretty simple, it is really really fun to play. Anybody have any other good songs they've been learning on guitar? I need to stop jamming so much and start building a repertiore, but I'd rather it be stoner/sludge/doom than more popular rock songs.

My guitar playing lately has been tons of fuzzed-out desert rock, throwin' out riffs from Fu Manchu and The Atomic Bitchwax.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Cluricaun posted:

Does anyone else think that Entombed's stuff from the Wolverine Blues ep forward kind of fits in this discussion? I was blasting Hollowman on the way to work this morning and while I know that they're commonly referred to as Death 'n Roll or whatever I could see that kind of stuff fitting in with plenty of others already mentioned in this thread.

Entombed discussion can probably either go into the metal thread or possibly even the punk thread. There's a resurgence of hardcore punk bands that use Boss HM-2's that have been labeled 'Entombed-core' in the vein of Trap Them and Black Breath.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

amplifier worship posted:

That Red Fang EP is fucken boss, been listening to that and Clutch and Kyuss at D&D nights and now all my fellow nerds are feeling the sludge, it's awesome.

Three of the most Dungeons and Dragons stoner bands.

The Sword, High on Fire, and obviously Sabbath are rad for the same kind of feel. I also once had a DM run a game based on Mastodon's Blood Mountain.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

New Album is an anime soundtrack.

Attention Please is an entire album of dark, mellow songs with Wata singing and fuzz solos.

Heavy Rocks has a lot of crushingly heavy thick riffage but also a bit of their bizarro experimental hair metal ala Heavy Rock Hits.

edit: Don't forget, Boris also released another super-limited collaborative EP this year with Merzbow called 'Klatter'. It includes some rerecordings from Akuma No Uta and a Jane cover.

plester1 fucked around with this message at 09:02 on May 19, 2011

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Cold Day posted:

I'd suggest you broaden your horizons if you would consider it an anime soundtrack.

Shoegaze, industrial, electronic.

Chill out bro, its a joke. :banjo:

I like New Album but its very easy to make fun of. You can tell why they only released it in Japan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyuDYqqL8Po&t=49s

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

katatonic posted:

Is there a reason Ufomammut never tours in the states? :smith:

They're from Italy.

:smith:

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Samael Jackson posted:

Also, please suggest other post metal stuff for me to try out!

Rosetta is my absolutely favorite post-metal band. Their full lengths are The Galilean Satellites, Wake/Lift, and A Determinism of Morality. They're all great.

The Galilean Satellites comes as a 2-disc set, one metal album and one ambient. Play them together in sync and its absolutely massive.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

EkoEkoAzarak posted:

Rosetta is good stuff. Their guitar player is my Amp tech. Which has currently left me sans one of my heads while they tour Europe.

Big fan of Panopticon, Oceanic and Wavering Radiant from isis.

That's awesome, I met him once at a show in Denver and we just talked shop about amps and about how he was jumping ship from his job at Penn to do the tech thing full time. I later ended up buying a bunch of his gear like an LPB2ube and some speakers. My pedal chain is basically cribbed from his blog.

Dyna Soar posted:

New YOB rules.

This is truth. I love how the last tracks of each new YOB album end up being dreamy, drifting preludes to the crushing finale.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Bondage posted:

Blog address?

http://www.anchorstates.net/

edit: Pedalboard post is here

plester1 fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 20, 2011

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Great pics! It's funny I couldn't make out the guitar inlay design and I was standing literally right in front of him. Anyone know what's up with his guitar, is it a custom? If you know about how he tunes that would great to here about to.

Both Mike Scheidt and Stevie Floyd were using custom Monson guitars.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Crimsonjewfro posted:

You know, this reminds me that I've been thinking about who the hell decided to go ahead and call this genre "sludge". I mean, it's a pretty apt name for dirty-sounding music that sounds like it's oozing from the speakers, but I've never seen an explanation about it at all.

We could always go with the Beavis and Butthead descriptor: "this music is slow and fat"

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

nosophoros posted:

I kinda want to buy an orange amp

*snip*

I'm mostly going to be playing at home, obviously, learning the ins and outs and all that.

If you're going to be playing mostly at home, don't buy a high wattage Orange tube amp. You can really only dial in a volume between "deafening" and "obscene". A practice amp will be less than $100 and you'll actually be able to play at home without the neighbors calling the police.

Orange's small amps are nothing at all like the big ones and are basically interchangeable with any other brand's practice amp.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Saw Bison BC last night, ears ringing. Highly recommended if you like early Mastodon and beards. I believe they are kicking off their tour along with Weedeater, Saviours and Fight Amp.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Fruits of the sea posted:

Any recommendations on bands similiar to Baroness? I really like how they go between furious noise and just jamming with southern rock stylings.

I've already been listening to a lot of Sleep/Isis/Electric Wizard, but I guess I'm looking for something that's a little more dynamic instead of a wall of noise. Isis nails the southern rock vibe though.

If you're into Baroness you'll probably like Intronaut's latest album Valley of Smoke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1LmYsCzAgw

edit: That's probably the first time I've ever heard Isis described as having a "southern rock vibe".

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Fruits of the sea posted:

I really like the mellow, twangy guitar work in Isis' stuff

Check out Red Sparowes, its basically all mellow twangy guitars and shares at least one member with Isis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4s6Oo5T86c

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

seiken posted:

Holy poo poo, life-changing thread. As a dude with a pretty deep love of a vast number of different musical styles I always felt kind of ashamed of my opinion that metal basically started great and got progressively worse from the 70s on. I never liked the really fast really heavy stuff or the wanky theatrical stuff much, and screamy vocals make me cringe; that poo poo is awful. I think the most recent metal album I liked enough to bother hanging on to was Rust in Peace by Megadeth

Anyway recently I stumbled across this http://www.pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/13120-earth-angels-of-darkness-demons-of-light-ii/ and goddamn how was I not aware this genre existed until now? This is seriously the best! People have been making awesome metal all this time it's just that nobody bothered to tell me. So I am gonna check out a lot of the stuff in this thread, thanks for posting it all. Or if you wanna recommend what to listen to first, go ahead, I'm all about the chill stuff and the bluesy stuff

Based purely on your post, I'll go out on a limb and say I think you would like Graveyard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeXChfKnh3I

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Also check out Dead Meadow, Witchcraft, and Earthless if that was up your alley.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

whooping crane posted:

I'm normally not a fan of metal, but I've recently discovered I love stoner-sludge metal and that I absolutely love Sleep's Jerusalem and Dopesmoker. I'm a fan of Electric Wizard's Dopethrone and Come My Fanatics too. Not so much a fan of the other stoner-sludge that was posted in the OP besides Black Sabbath. Could anyone suggest albums most similar to Jerusalem and Dopesmoker? I'm looking for something sludgy, slow, and shoegaze-y, like Sleep's later work or the more recent Have A Nice Day's Deathconsciousness. Thanks for any suggestions...

I would suggest Ufomammut and Bongripper. Maybe YOB if you want more shoegazey.

edit: Also, if you didn't know, Sleep split into two different bands: Matt Pike formed High on Fire, and the other two formed Om. High on Fire became faster and thrashier, Om kept going in the direction of fuzzed out and droney.

plester1 fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 15, 2012

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

SlowlyChoking posted:

Was able to grab one of the last few copies of Huata's Atavist Of Mann yesterday. God drat I am loving that album.

This is awesome.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Steve Von Till of Neurosis fame has some cool solo stuff in that vein.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

mogran posted:

I'm trying to get caught up with the sludge scene. Neurosis seems like a good place to start. Anybody got album suggestions? I know they were hardcore/punk first I'm kinda thinking of skipping that part for now. Souls At Zero maybe?

If you haven't seen it, the OP has a fantastic list of must-have albums.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Earwicker posted:

Hi I have not listened to this sort of stuff in a while but used to and lately have been obsessing over ISIS's Celestial and Panopticon as well as Pelican's first self-titled EP. Wondering if someone can recommend some new bands or albums I might like. I tried listening to some more recent Pelican today (City of Echoes) and really didn't like it. I am looking for something with really good atmosphere and composition.

Whenever anyone wants something similar to Isis, I recommend Rosetta without hesitation.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

ChickenArise posted:

I am loving the new Zozobra. Unsurprisingly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeBHjEeA_k4

I'm glad that they are unashamed to sound like new Cave In, considering all the members are former Cave In.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Polegrinder posted:

What are some of the better female fronted doom/stoner bands out there? I've had Windhand on heavy rotation since 2010 when they put out the Practice Space demo, High Priest of Saturn is another I like, I have Devil's Blood, Rituals of the Oak, The Wounded Kings, etc. I'm just feeling like I'm missing some. I like the way the female vocals sound against the heavy crushing riffs. Hopefully stuff that is painfully slow and heavy.

Thanks

Two more that come to mind are Dark Castle and Kylesa.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Gils posted:

Someone posted the same setlist in the Boris thread

Whoa, there's a Boris thread? Link?

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

If you like Witchcraft, check out Graveyard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

I just saw the Intronaut/Emma/Cult of Luna show last night in Hollywood and Joe played the whole set sitting on a stool and walked off with crutches. The show was fantastic and super tight.