Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Earwicker posted:

I know I'm late on this but I'm really, really digging the new Cult of Luna

Likewise. In fact, I've never really been that into them before - they were an alright Isis alternative with some good tracks but nothing special - but this album has blown me away with how incredibly good, and original, it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

ElectricWizard posted:

The new Chelsea Wolfe album really is something special, and a contender for aoty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvbJY2CjrUI

Thanks for this recommendation, most awe inspiring album I've heard this year, maybe longer. Seriously, everybody should give it a try.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Does anyone have any recommendations for stuff like Chelsea Wolfe's newest album? Because I can't stop listening to it and her older stuff, while good, doesn't have the same feel.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Thanks for the recommendations, working through them. So far Marriages and Emma Ruth Rendle are great.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Dyna Soar posted:

new agoraphobic nosebleed is straight up NOLA worship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBngZL0gfec

Reminds me of Raging Speedhorn but better.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

The Cult of Luna/Julie Christmas split took a couple of listens to really click but now I think it's their second best album, just behind Vertikal. Julie's vocals work so well.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Am I the only person who actually prefers II to NOLA?

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Peturbator and Dance with the Dead are both good but seem really out of place on that lineup. I have to be in pretty much the opposite mood to listen to them vs the other bands.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Do y'all know Witchrider?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fVPepMmmfw

Very Desert Sessions in sound.

I've listened to this album pretty much every day since it was posted 2 weeks ago. I thought maybe it was a little too much of a Queens ripoff at first but the songwriting is so good it really comes into it's own.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I remember Raging Speedhorn being compared to Iron Monkey back when I listened to them, but that was when I was a teenager with questionable taste so I don't know if they were actually any good.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

If they've been around for 20 years they might actually be small scrawny horses.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Me: I wonder what the dude from Isis got up to *listens to Sumac for the first time*

You've probably already listened to Old Man Gloom's stuff but if you haven't, it's pretty good too.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Isis have pretty close to a perfect discography IMO.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I'm slightly biased because Oceanic was the album that got me past my (then) dislike of harsh vocals, but I do genuinely love their work. They're not the most fun band though, so I can understand why other people might not like them so much.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

The only Neurosis albums I've listened to much are Through Silver in Blood and Neurosis & Jarboe, the rest aren't bad but never really clicked for me. Isis are definitely influenced by them, just as Neurosis were influenced by Swans, but each add their own twist - I'd never confuse one band's songs for any of the others. There's a reason Cult of Luna used to be called Isis clones and not Neurosis clones.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

edit: literally everyone in this thread loves Baptists, I'll bet the farm on it.

I'd never listened to them before but hell yeah this is great

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Are you mishearing "and claw" as "hey claude"? Because they don't say hey claude in the song.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Listened to this blackened post metal that's somewhere between Altar of Plagues and Neurosis with a hint of My Dying Bride today, it's very good IMO:
https://goldenantennarecords.bandcamp.com/album/sundown-pleasures

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

No problem, I'm always happy when someone enjoys something I post. I haven't listened to the new one yet myself, actually, I should do that soon.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Some decent Stoner Rock that's like... Kyuss/Early QOTSA mixed with a bit of 90's grunge? It's a little derivative but fun:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bQU7d4lz2I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I always get The Sword and Wolfmother mixed up, probably because they have both always been bad.