Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The new Bongripper is out tonight at 12am CET.
gently caress. Yes.

Sex Tape/Snuff Film 7"
as well as a remastered 12" of doom only Hate Ashbury (no noise/drone)

Hail Satan. Worship Doom.

Ordered these just now! They also have new stock of those bad rear end goat head shirts, which I also promptly ordered.

In other news, I really hope YOB and Dark Castle play a show in Vancouver or at least Seattle. If the latter, I should really go get my passport. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
The full YOB/Dark Castle tour has finally been posted:

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2011/05/yob_dark_castle.html

7/1 - Seattle, WA @ El Corazon w/Samothrace, Aranya
7/2 - Portland, OR @ Branx w/Wizard Rifle, Sloths
7/3 - Boise, ID @ Redroom
7/4 - Salt Lake City, UT @ Club Vegas w/Eagle Twin
7/5 - Denver, CO @ Larimer Lounge
7/6 - Lincoln, NE @ Duffy's Tavern
7/7 - Dubuque, IA @ Off Minor
7/8 - Chicago, IL @ Subterranean w/Indian
7/9 - Columbus, OH @ Ruby Tuesday w/Deadsea
7/10 - Cleveland, OH @ Beachland Tavern
7/12 - New York, NY @ Le Poisson Rouge
7/13 - Providence, RI @ Machines With Magnets
7/14 - Montreal, QC @ TBA
7/15 - Toronto, ON @ The Courthouse w/Sons of Otis
7/16 - Philadelphia, PA @ Kung Fu Necktie
7/17 - Baltimore, MD @ Sonar
7/19 - Charlotte @ TBA
7/20 - Savannah @ TBA
7/21 - Jacksonville, FL @ 8B Warehouse
7/22 - Orlando, FL @ Will's Pub
7/23 - Tampa, FL @ Orpheum
7/24 - Panama City FL @ C Level
7/25 - Atlanta, GA @ The Earl
7/26 - Nashville, TN @ Little Hamilton w/Loss
7/27 - Memphis, TN @ Hi Tone Cafe w/Crowlord
7/29 - New Orleans @ One Eyed Jacks
7/30 - Houston, TX @ The Mink
7/31 - Austin, TX @ Emo's w/The Roller
8/01- San Antonio, TX @ Korova Basement
8/03 - Scottsdale, AZ @ Rogue Bar w/Rituals
8/04 - San Diego, CA @ The Casbah
8/05 - Los Angeles, CA @ The Echo w/Ancestors, Of the Horizon
8/06 - Berkeley, CA @ Gilman St
8/07 - San Francisco, CA @ TBA
8/08 - Arcata, CA @ The Alibi

Well I guess it's finally time to get my passport (Vancouver goon) so I can catch the Seattle show.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

Juaguocio posted:

Hey folks, my band decided to call it a day, so our album is free for the taking: http://hugenelk.bandcamp.com/
I hope to get something else going in the doom vein, but we'll see what the future brings.

Ah, that sucks dude. I'm from Vancouver too and just started listening to you guys, was hoping to catch a show. :(

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

Juaguocio posted:

We'll be back in some form, I'm sure. I'm gonna go see Bison, Black Wizard and Haggatha next week at the Rickshaw, are you going to that?

I was thinking about it. Depends how late I work, really. It's 5 bucks at the door, yeah?

Either way I'll be at the Sword too.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
anybody wanting good merch deals... https://www.allthatisheavy.com is having a pretty decent sale right now

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Thanks dude.
T-shirts for 9 dollars? Sweet deals.

No problem!

I picked up a Baroness Hawk shirt, and US Christmas - Run Thick in The Night on colored vinyl with the accompanying shirt. Pretty sweet!

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
Not sure how many people in here dig The Atlas Moth, but they posted a new track from their upcoming album today:

http://stereogum.com/760891/atlas-moth-coffin-varnish-stereogum-premiere/franchises/haunting-the-chapel/

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

plester1 posted:

Both Mike Scheidt and Stevie Floyd were using custom Monson guitars.

Nate from US Christmas does too.

This was like a Monson showcase tour. They played with Indian in Chicago, and Will plays one too.

EDIT: Mike tunes to some form of A tuning, whether it is Standard/Drop/Open...no clue.

ethan fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 21, 2011

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
I'm getting a Monson guitar built for me right now, talking to Brent he said the usual 25.5" scale would suit the tuning I use (AEAEAC or AEADGbB), a proper set up is more the key than the length. My Gibson Explorer holds it's tune flawlessly and it has a 24.75" scale (14-68 strings).

Also, Mike's amps are MetroAmp built Superbass clones. His pedalboard is a Subdecay F Bomb, some old digitech delay, an mxr compressor clone and an mxr phase 90 clone. (Will from Indian said so anyway!)

I'll also be at the Vancouver Weedeater/Bison show :hfive:

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

fozzie dunlop posted:

Ugh this. I'm usually all for exuberant "YEAH WOO"s from musicians playing kickass songs, but there's definitely a level where it becomes overdone. They're still a pretty killer live act, and I'd definitely take the opportunity to see them again. Who are they touring with this time?

The Vancouver show at least, they are billed with Tera Melos and Master Musicians of Bukkake (who opened for Six Organs of Admittance last time I saw them)

Should be good times.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

Xlyfindel posted:

Not to derail too much, but I know we have some musicians in here and I need an opinion about a fuzz pedal... I've been looking around and need help choosing between a Fuzzy Lady from PlumCrazy FX or a Hoof from Earthquaker devices. Or maybe another one I just missed completely? I'm leaning towards the Hoof right now.

I haven't played the fuzzy lady, but it looks pretty good for those 60s style sounds.

The hoof is a pretty killer pedal for stoner and doom stuff. It really depends on the sound you're after, as there is a pretty much unlimited amount of fuzz pedals out there!

I bought a Black Arts LSTR and I couldn't be happier with it, but it's the sound I wanted.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

Juaguocio posted:

"Treehead" does have some good riffs, but recording it killed it for us, unfortunately, because we became acutely aware of how lame some of the parts are.

I'm still proud of "Tarnation," though, which is odd considering I'm usually my worst critic. That's the only tune on the album that I'm solely responsible for writing and arranging, so I should be able to whip something up for you. It's in the key of B in drop D tuning if that helps you any.

EDIT: I almost forgot- many, if not all of you will probably dig BC heavy riffers Weirding, who just put out an album on Bandcamp.

Weirding rules. It was funny when Old Crowe cabs provided the backline for the Riffs Not Riots show...but they just HAD to lug their Electric cabs in too. That's determination!

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
I hear tons of complaints about the last half of The Hunter, but honestly I think I like that section the most. Creature Lives made my ears perk up for the rest of the album, as the first half was fairly standard/expected Mastodon fare.

Can't wait for Weedeater/Bison...hometown show for Bison so it's going to be insane.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

Juaguocio posted:

I believe Scheidt has two kids from a prior relationship.

This past Sunday, nine of Vancouver's finest sludge riffers got together at the Astoria to lay down some doom. The interesting part is that five of them are drummers.

Aw what the hell, how did I miss that?!

Crap.

Ah well, checked out Fight Amp/Bison/Saviours/Weedeater last night, it was pretty solid. I was mostly there to see Bison and they ripped it up. Can't wait til their next local show.

I left halfway through Weedeater, I was tired and everything was just melting together at that point.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

Geddy Krueger posted:

John Dyer Baizley (of Baroness) is a fantastic artist. He's done the art for all of Baroness's albums as well as several other bands, including Kylesa, Black Tusk, and Skeletonwitch. This wiki page lists albums he's done art for, but he's got some other great stuff around the net too.

He also did the awesome cover for Twilight Ritual by Deadbird who everybody in this thread should check out. Sweet sludgy metal, featuring members (ex and present) of Rwake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjLEpXmzbnY

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

Juaguocio posted:

Hey, thanks! 2nd place behind Sleep sounds pretty good to me, haha. That reminds me- I need to put our old demos back up somewhere now that Megaupload is dead. If you're interested, I'm currently playing doom with Psilocybin, and I'm hoping to get another band going in a more jammy, hard rock kind of vein. Our second drummer Max is playing groovy psych stuff with Three Wolf Moon, also featuring members of Black Wizard.

Oh cool, you took over the bass role for Psilocybin. I recall hanging with Dragos back when he was in Shores of Tundra...good times from what I can fuzzily remember. I'll try to make it for the March 2nd show, should be rad.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
New Conan album is streaming on Metal Hammer, and it's loving good.

http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/heavy-alert-conan-stream-new-album-monnos-exclusively-with-metal-hammer/

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
Try Jesu as well if you like shoegazy doom.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
I now will be referring to 4/20 as Matt Pike Day. First, I get this in the mail:

and then I order Dopesmoker on vinyl.

Good days, indeed.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
I bought the picture disc/CD/Shirt/Poster combo. I would pay 20 for the vinyl and 20 for a shirt, so why not?

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
For me, punk metal doesn't get much better than Disfear

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

Rion.exe posted:

This is badass, thanks man.

No worries. It's a supergroup of sorts with members of At The Gates and Entombed, so it's pretty much a guaranteed winner.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
I go to plenty of shows by myself, just drink beer and talk to people.

I am jealous that you get to see Cough.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

Trees and Squids posted:

Matt Pike is a very cool man. Glad that he recognized he has a problem and is getting it sorted out, but I hope this doesn't adversely affect his marijuana consumption.

"Weed? Nobody gives a gently caress about weed." - My friend's psychiatrist when he checked into rehab for alcoholism.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
There's a repress of Blood Lust by Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats on vinyl happening soon. Pre orders up:

http://tinyurl.com/bohlrvb

I got mine from Amazon in Canada because it was cheaper, but yeah it's out there.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
US Christmas fits right in there somewhere, too.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

bleedbackwards posted:

Are people talking about the new Conan album, Monnos yet? The first track had me headbanging within ten seconds of the fist riff and it only gets better from there.

e: Looks like it leaked months ago so I'm late on this but drat it's good.

It was released in Europe in April, it just recently got a proper US release.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
Altar Of Plagues
Dead In The Dirt
Nails
Black Skies
MAKE
White Hills

Not all doom, but all good metal(ish) bands.

ethan fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 4, 2012

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

Velocirocktor posted:

Speaking of real good, I just got through a couple listens of the promo for the new Bison BC record Lovelessness. It's a way bigger sound for them, bleak and angry as hell and it loving slays.

Lucky bastard. How'd you manage that? The 2 or 3 songs they've released so far are awesome as hell. I knew something great was going to happen when they mentioned working with Sanford Parker.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

Velocirocktor posted:

I write for a friend's tiny website that is in a lot of press pools so we get some cool promos now and then. I've listened to it a few more times since I posted and it's just getting better.

Ah sweet. I can't wait to get my grubby mitts on it. My work is right next to their jam space so maybe I can sweet talk my way into hearing it early.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
I still stick by Buried At Sea's Migration being the heaviest thing ever.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
Woven Hand/16 Horsepower talk in the Stoner Doom thread?

I love you guys.

EDIT: Also listen to Jay Munly.

ethan fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 6, 2012

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
I'm seeing them on Sunday. It was 25 bucks or so. All 4 bands on the bill kick rear end though so I don't mind.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
Also shout out to Translink for making me miss the last half of High On Fire's set! I had the same qualms with the sound so I didn't mind having to leave. Ancients definitely deserve more love, glad to see them on the up.

The Richard's show was awesome, my favourite was the Red Room show on the Blessed Black Wings tour, that was amazing.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
It's not the slowest, but drat it if Migration isn't the heaviest thing I've heard. That's the album I use to test new speakers/headphones.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
Meth Drinker rule pretty hard in that department.

http://methdrinker.bandcamp.com/

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

It's their Live at Roadburn album where they did SWD in it's entirety.

Nabbed a smoke vinyl of the split, pretty happy with that.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

casual poster posted:

Any reason why Hail was not played? Or was it just a lack of time?

On another note, I know I only recently got into the stoner/doom style, but I always enjoy finding someone else that likes Sleep or Bongripper, it's just a silent nod of "yeah, you like good music too."

Hail is up to stream from the same album on their bandcamp. :confused:

http://bongripper.bandcamp.com/album/live-at-roadburn-2012

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
Caught Yob last week as well, in a small venue. poo poo was a straight up religious experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
I have 2 of those shirts (with the other font). :smuggo: