Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

gently caress Bongripper owns. So much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I saw High on Fire last night. second time I have seen them and it was pretty obvious that Matt is recovering from a recent fall off the wagon :(

on the plus side it was still a good show and there is a lot more facial hair in the band now.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Is this the thread where I talk about discovering Elder And being blown away? Holy balls.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

FanaticalMilk posted:

I think he's come out of rehab and is currently sober though. Though I don't think that'd hurt is playing or anything.

He was out of rehab the last time I saw them live at the end of 2012. I read a thing about 3 weeks ago saying he had fallen off the wagon recently.

His performance wasnt bad, but definitely not as good as the last time I saw him.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Seeing Conan next week - whats the best place to start listening to them?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Well I went into the Conan gig blind because I was too lazy to check them out prior and I was happy with what I saw/heard. Their vocalist should just let the bass player do all the vocals though, it fits way better than the weird angry tiny man voice.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I missed Windhands show :(

After having my mind blown by Elders Dead Roots Stirring and checking out their other stuff....uhhhh, what?

the first album is like some weird 90s local dumb metal band-vibe stuff that is just boring, but makes sense as a finding their feet sorta scenario.

then you have DRS, which is incredible on every level. the band matured.

after that, Spires burn/release and its sorta 60/40 split between the feel of the first album and DRS but no where near as impressive.

I dont think I have ever come across a band with such varying styles between releases.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The opening riff on Satan after the noise and black metal tremolo is my favourite riff EVER.

This is correct. The transition into the other more grindy riff after that is awesome too.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Sleep played Sydney last night. But to jammy/improv for my taste, but the slower versions of dragonaut and aquarian owned.

High on fire is where Matt really shines. Their new album is high on my anticipation list.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Is there a good way to find out what bands are touring another country on specific dates?

Im headed to Japan soon and want to see if theres anyone in town while I am that I can check out. Some of the smaller bands dont make it to Aus.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I tried but it doesnt let me specify what dates I want to know about, it just tells me about the 10 gigs for mainstream acts that I dont care about that have been announced or are in the future.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The thing with Elder is that even Elder dont sound as good as Dead Roots Stirring anywhere else in their catalog. the stuff before is all really stoner metal, and the stuff after is a bit of a mix of the two.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I found one video of something from the new Elder album. The quality is terrible, but gives us an idea what to expect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qIxGJGS-dc

EDIT: color haze are cool but too vocally. Anything similar along the lines of the track "Love" ?

Laserface fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 28, 2014

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Apparently I was conceived during a listening session of Paranoid so gently caress All Y'all.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The new Elder album has leaked.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

kukrunkarmaskin posted:

I'm going to wait and buy this because holy gently caress this might be album of the year already :stare: http://www.stereogum.com/1739960/elder-legend-stereogum-premiere/mp3s/

Edit: Just pre-ordered The LP AND the CD for €20 + shipping from Germany. You can buy just the LP as an "Import" here in Sweden for loving €70 :laffo:

Its no Dead Roots Stirring, thats for sure.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Really digging Ruby the Hatchets album, been listening to it non stop for the past day and a bit.

Thanks for posting it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

kukrunkarmaskin posted:

Yeah, It's an amazing record alright. They've got such good chemistry between them but the guitar work especially is stunning.

If I were to nitpick, I'd say that the vocals are a bit uninspired at times. Also I'm wondering how it will hold up live, considering there are multiple guitar parts overdubbed pretty much from start to finish, and they only have one guitarist.

Dead Roots Stirring is currently my favorite album of all time but I am in no rush to see Elder live. They sound kind of bad.

I mean they'd never tour Australia anyway, so its not a big deal.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The Doobie Brothers.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I have been listening to Orchid a bit lately, and while I am enjoying them, the lyrics are all pretty repetitive. He uses Brain/mind/lies/eyes/sleep like every second line.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Proud to be Australian right now. :australia:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

After I lost my set and had to buy new ones, I took the advice of the store selling them that 'most people only need the small ones. its the weirdos that need the bigger ones'.

The smaller ones were way more comfortable and just as good.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

King Parrot are loving garbage and I have no idea why anyone finds them funny or musically enjoyable.

Psycroptic is the superior Australian (non-doom/stoner) metal band.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

A human heart posted:

There's lots of excellent metal bands from Australia, what are you getting at?

Im pretty out of touch with the local scene, its harder to find gigs (or even rock gigs) at all these days.

But my main point is King Parrot are terrible.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Juaguocio posted:

I saw King Parrot open for Down, and to me they sounded like a bad Pantera clone.

Are you sure you dont have the bands mixed up there?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Yeah you dont know who or what you are talking about.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I need some good instrumental recommendations. Stuff like Bongripper.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

This owns FYI.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Still need more riff-heavy instrumental stuff. I feel like vocals just doesnt suit a lot of stoner/doom metal, or the vocalists are terrible.

Vocals I can tolerate if its more towards the rock end of the spectrum (Elder, Sleep)

Mostly I am finding some of the suggestions in here recently good musically but end up turning them off as soon as the vocals start. They just sound like slower black metal, and I loving hate black metal.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

Also most stoner/sludge/doom vocals sound nothing like black metal at all

eh, probably so. My point is that Im yet to find one with vocals that is a good fit. Conan and Yob are both cool bands but the vocals ruin it for me (Yob less so.) I checked out Venus Sleeps and it was all good until someone started wailing.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

It sounds a lot like Frost Hammer, and even very similar to Slave the Hive which is going to be on the same album.

But its still better than anything you guys suggested on the last page :v:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

HoF are definitely great, theres always a handful of songs on each album that are really awesome and work well live.

10,000 years is probably my favorite, but I feel like their writing has gotten better since then.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

I just started my morning by listening to Dead Roots Stirring by Elder and holy poo poo I'm an idiot for not noticing this in 2011. Somebody get this band on a bill with Wo Fat and Church of Misery and start a riffpocalypse.

I dont care much for Knot and III but yes, I had this revelation one day and I now listen to it probably every day.

Dead Roots Stirring is probably the best song I have listened to in my life.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

So I actually endured the repetitive lyrics of Orchids Mouths of Madness and after Marching Dogs of War the album actually gets good.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

nerve posted:

Just saw Sinister Haze play to a crowd of all of 25 people. Was really, really good.

https://sinisterhaze.bandcamp.com/album/betrayed-by-time

Out in a few days, they played some off of it, sounds great.

Theres no play button in the site.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Doesnt feel as samey as the other song thats been previewed off the album, bit more melodic which is cool.

Keen as poo poo for anything Matt Pike so yeah.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

High on Fire is absolutely my poo poo and this album owns.

EDIT: they sped up Slave the Hive and changed the structure a little, it feels like.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jun 8, 2015

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Slave the Hive, The Falconist, Dark Side of the Compass all own.

The album opens pretty strongly too. enjoying it much more than the last album (although I dont think I will ever hear a riff as evil and gigantic as Madness of the Architect ever again)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

It's not as good as dead roots stirring, so imagine how quickly you'll click buy for that one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The Sword chat: What album is most like Age of Winters?

thats the only one I sorta like.