Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time
new minsk is really good, welcome back boys
http://minskband.bandcamp.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
beatles - i want you(she's so heavy) was the first

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004

nate fisher posted:

I'm a big fan Black Mountain's In the Future, and I wish they would finally release a new album.
Steve Mcbean's new band Obliterations first record Poison Everything is out and rules though

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Mcbeans new bands he plays in are death-folk Grim Tower and hardcore Obliterations, while he still masterminds BM and Pink Mountaintops. His old project was Jerk with a Bomb and when he was a kid he played in metal band Mission of Christ/Jerk Ward but he's also done vocals for UNKLE.
The latest Pink Mountaintops is really dope and pretty close to BM on songs like The Second Summer of Love, less mellow than the other PM records but still dripping with sex.
Year Zero was just a comp album I don't think it had anything new but there's a subpop singles club with 2 good non album songs Lucy Brown/Shelter
So yeah he's in 4 bands that could come out with a record anytime, although I would love a new Jerk with a Bomb record.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004

chunkles posted:

I really love this poster

4/19 poster pal, got this silkscreen(8/24) for :10bux: and signed by the drummer with the Battlefields Forever LP at the show yesterday

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
burnt offering was pretty cool too

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004

Skilleddk posted:

Is this the place to talk about Chelsea Wolfe? Because she just put out album of the year, or even decade, holy poo poo. There's just nothing to improve. No tracks to skip, she reached perfection with this album.

her live at roadburn record is really good, I also sat next to her while she ate a hot dog one time. GOOD TIMES

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

Tool have also had Isis and Mastodon (circa Blood Mountain I think) open for them.

yup saw isis open for them in 2006, got tickets through a newspaper i was working for and people thought they sucked and ruined my night

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
I already have 2 purple Baroness records, a split with Unpersons I got when they played with Ghengis Tron and Bison BC and a single with a Descendents cover. I guess it's just a variant but A Grey Sigh in a Flower Husk might be my favourite thing they have done.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004

Argali posted:

He seems to be in top form. I saw Sumac a few weeks back open for Neurosis and it was drat amazing.

Sumac owns so hard, Nick works at a drum shop in Kits neighbourhood of Van with my bud Alan who plays in Black Mastiff. BM just got a new split single with John Garcia-who recorded the new album and they might be touring with Brant Bjork in the next year.

The Gasmask posted:

I miss these guys, Board up the House is one of my favorite albums ever.

Yessss, the lineup for that show was so much fun and they were so good live.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
I went to the 13 tour last year, I was disgruntled about Geezer but I think the reality is that he couldn't really physically fill the position. Didn't have high expectations, figured I should still see them but holy gently caress they were awesome and I had the best time.
an elderly lady took a hit off my blunt too which ruled

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004

Dyna Soar posted:

You mean Ward?

yurp, thx
might get tix for the show in my town after i decide on kraftwerk which is coming up sooner in a nicer venue

also Chelsea Wolfe chats- listen to her live at roadburn record, it's some of her old poo poo but more doomy for the roadburn crowd. was a very pricey lp but just got reissued by outer battery

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004

Juaguocio posted:

The name is unfortunate, and I wish they had changed it when they started moving in their current direction, because they're an excellent band, and much more than a stoner cliche.
do they still sell shirts of eddie murphy with a wizard hat?

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

I thought this was pretty cool, shows a lot of how everything thinks Sunn O))) is better live, as the volume is so high the physical feeling of the sound is part of the experience.

In Seattle in 2009 they did 2 shows, one with Attila and one as a 2 piece doing the early stuff/Grimmrobe. Saw the latter :getin:

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
not too many tours come through northern Alberta but lots of local/regional bands like bonglord to keep us busy

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Waingro is cool, gonna peep that new album.
Indian Handcrafts played last night and it was pretty sludgy. Two piece that's kind of mix of Melvins/Big Business/Black Cobra, new album on Sargent House engineered by Toshi Kasai. Seen them open for Boris before and wasn't expecting much- was actually there to see the grungey openers Greys.
Also Shooting Guns/ ZAUM collab is good
https://shootingguns.bandcamp.com/album/himalaya-to-mesopotamia

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

Can anyone reccomend the best earbuds for doom/sludge? I'm trying to find the best ones that can really deliver that bass and low tones (as well as earbuds can really)

AIAIAI's gear is generally very dark and well designed- never used their earbuds which are called pipe but the tma-1 and tracks are wicked

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Sleep should bring back pikes dreads and hot lava man

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt8aKL8p6jM&t=1020s
lights his guitar on fire and smashes it at the end

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004

Darthemed posted:

Anybody in here going to this?

maybe

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004

A human heart posted:

It makes a certain amount of sense to dislike bands like that if they're getting mainstream attention but aren't particularly good. I don't really care about pallbearer but they seem like pretty unremarkable doom to me, which makes the critical attention they've gotten sort of baffling. Wolves in the throne room were the best example of this - a not very good band that got a lot of attention by people who didn't know anything about black metal just by having certain stances in interviews and being from the us. If the band hadn't gotten that attention at all then probably people wouldn't have bothered to voice an opinion even though they didn't like them, because why bother to talk about yet another mediocre band?

lol

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

They like Weedeater so much they stole their font!

it's the down font, they toured together in 2009

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004

Snowy posted:

I could do without most of the jokes in stoner/doom, I don’t really think it adds much usually. But I guess I like more deadpan humor and a lot of the jokey stuff in doom is just too campy and on the nose for me.

Thank you for customizing music to my taste

join the church of ra

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
new mournful congregation is cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-Mu6mhCXA8

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
and some shows with Guevnna :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004

Elissimpark posted:

Would anyone know any stoner or doom bands that are keyboard or organ based?

I know there's a whole bunch of psychedelic bands, but I'm thinking more of a Sabbath or Sleep sound.

Or is it impossible to play doom on an organ without sounding like Iron Butterfly?

Skepticism?