Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Cobra Sandwich posted:

Anyone going to see Kyuss Lives?

Got me a ticket for the Glasgow show in April

Yup, going with my girlfriend (who introduced me to them) in Bristol. I got an email today telling me my tickets have been dispatched. I'm just going to get them out and look at them for time to time before the gig.

I actually had John Garcia's sig on a ticket for Hermano when we saw them in London in 2007 but I lost it because I'm an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

jadias posted:

Only a week and a half until I get to see Kyuss Lives! I'm so loving stoked...

Bristol? I'm seeing them there on the 6th and I'm starting to get excited now, I have a feeling I'm going to be listening little else for the next week or so.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

jadias posted:

Manchester on 5th :)

This is especially awesome because I was too young to catch Kyuss the first time around. This is the closest I'm gonna get. I'm as excited as I was when I applied for Led Zeppelin tickets a few years back, except I can actually see Kyuss (well, 3/4 of them) without raping my bank account or winning a lottery with odds of a million to one.

Yeah same, I didn't get into them until about 2005 and they started me down the whole stoner road, it was sheer luck that I found out they were touring. I even found a Kyuss t-shirt my girlfriend made me back then which I thought I'd lost forever to wear to the gig.

I also found out I just missed Masters of Reality touring in support of The Cult about a month or so ago. I need to play closer attention.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Faffel posted:

I wish I had enough money to trade my stupid (bad investment!!!!) bass guitar in for a real man's electric guitar. That is loving awesome.

Bass guitar is loving wonderful man, stick with it. All the stoner stuff I've listened to from Clutch to Kyuss to Sleep has made me want to learn to play bass more than anything else.

I mean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6uwcvHkYvg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyjmd00s-_Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAXGu81Rk1g&feature=related

and some classic Sabbath as well just because http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwWMKC3U01w

I'm still seriously considering buying an acoustic bass just to learn to play these songs.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Cobra Sandwich posted:

Was great to finally see John Garcia perform this stuff live, hope you get as good a show as we got last night

I remember being really really impressed by him when I saw him with Hermano in 2007. He basically sounded exactly like he did in the studio, his voice was just as raw and powerful like he was really going for it the whole time. I was really impressed by them live in general.

I'm off to see them in Bristol tomorrow so it's going to be Kyuss all the way for the 3 hour train ride.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Holy poo poo Kyuss Lives was loving excellent. I'm constantly amazed at how John Garcia can sing like that for so many years and not start to lose it.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

smile.jpg posted:

Also now I feel obligated to check out some Dozer. Any recommendations?

You can't go wrong with either Beyond Colossal or Through The Eyes of Heathens.

Colossal even has a bit of Neil Fallon.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Glad I got to see them when I did. This probably means the supposed new album is done-for now unless they get Scott Reeder back on board (I hope they get Scott Reeder back on board.)

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Idioteque Dance posted:

Not a huge surprise but pretty nice news, Scott Reeder is replacing Oliveri for Kyuss Lives.

gently caress yes. I don't have a problem with Oliveri but I've always preferred Reeder so I was hoping this would happen when he got arrested not along ago.

...I don't mean that to sound as horrible as it does.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Clean Cup posted:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=162051 AHHHHHHH NEW BLACK SABBATH WITH ORIGINAL LINE UP.

So much blood rushed to my penis that it exploded.

:stare:

If this actually lasts long enough to become a thing and I get a new album from them and to actually see them live then I don't even know.

My favourite bit is "It's more back to the old original stuff." gently caress.

edit: just to ruin everyone's day.
http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/black-sabbath-reunite-official/
"However, I0ommi’s management have now strongly denied the authenticity of this story, claiming that the guitarist hasn’t spoken to the paper for two months!"

edit number 2: word from Iommi:
http://tonyiommi.com/index.php?story=128
Doesn't seem to be loading but here's what it says on Facebook:"Tony Iommi Comments on Today's Posts:

I’m saddened that a Birmingham journalist whom I trusted has chosen this point in time to take a conversation we had back in June and make it sound like we spoke yesterday about a Sabbath reunion.

Thanks to the internet it’s now gone round the world as some sort of “official” statement on my part, absolute nonsense. I hope he’s enjoyed his moment of glory, he won’t have another."

Crackerman fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 16, 2011

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Fun Times! posted:

Hey all, I've listened to Queens of the Stone Age and Kyuss for years (and the Desert Sessions) and just recently have been binging on everything John Garcia has done and I'd like some recommendations for similar stuff. I just listened to Sleep's Holy Mountain for the first time (holy poo poo) and I like it a lot but it's more slow and doomy than I'd like at the moment. I like the spacey desert blues sound of songs like Space Cadet and the overall feel of Welcome to Sky Valley. I'd love to hear any bands/albums that are just as awesome. Thanks. :D

Didn't see anyone mention Lowrider. VERY obviously influenced by Kyuss, but if you don't care about something being derivative then you should really like them. As far as I know they only ever did one split with Nebula and one full album. The stuff on the split is excellent while the album is mostly good but pretty boring in places. Still worth getting though.

From the split:
Lameneshma (ignore the dumb video)
Shivaree
Upon the Dune (you should like this if you like Space Cadet)

From Ode to Io:
Flat Earth
Caravan
Saguaro

Thanks to the guy who mention Asteroid as well, I ended up buying the latest album altering Spotifying it.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Are they still playing nothing from Wretch? I'm not a huge fan of the album but I would have loved to have heard Katzenjammer or Love Has Passed Me By when I saw them.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

an audible groan posted:

Katzenjammer or stage III woulda been great, but it was basically all blues for the red sun and sky valley, plus fatso forgotso and one or two off circus leaves town, with spaceship landing for the encore.

Amazing show anyway, and I don't regret the noticeable hearing loss in my right ear :unsmith:

From what I remember we got quite a bit from Circus which surprised me. Honestly I would have been perfectly happy to pay £30 to watch them do Whitewater over and over for hours.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Clutch fans - Neil Fallon was interviewed in Aisha Tyler's Girl on Guide podcast on the 7th:

http://www.girlonguy.net/girl_on_guy_with_aisha_tyler/girl_on_guy_with_aisha_tyler.html

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

NuclearGuru posted:

This is awesome, thanks for posting. Neil is the man.

Yeah, he's really laid back and there's no nonsense or "frontman" thing about him he's just a guy.

Metanaut posted:

I think she talked more during that interview than Neil.

She's terrible for this in all of them. She doesn't stop in the Jon Benjamin interview and I just want to hear his lovely voice.

Clutch are supporting Thin Lizzy in Cardiff in February and I would love to see them again because they are fantastic live but I have zero interest in Thin Lizzy.

Neil says some stuff about Black Sabbath at the end involving Rick Rubin and "new material" that is pretty interesting considering this countdown and the recent rumours that were stirred up about another reunion (although Iommi staunchly denied it.)

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Silver Brushes posted:

Surely they can at the very least top Never Say Die?

The major problem with Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die is that they are extremely overwrought albums. Too much fuss, too much production and too much work. The first three are classic because they're so bare and stripped down and raw sounding. There's a simplicity that makes so many of the songs so memorable. They lost that a bit from Vol. 4 on, but they struck a good balance between flamboyance and straight rock and roll until Technical Ecstasy, but it all got out of hand after that.

Heavan and Hell's The Devil You Know was decent because it stripped everything down again. It was a bit too slow for me and I got boring, but it showed there's still potential there for basic heavy rock.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Just bought tickets for Orange Goblin in Swansea next month. I missed my chance to see them when they played Cardiff uni's student union years ago so I'm not passing it up again, especially since Eulogy for the Damned is the best thing they've done since Big Black.

I really miss their Frequencies/Time Travelling Blues sound though.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Any idea how Orange Goblin are live?

No idea. A Youtube search would suggest they're reasonably good but nothing amazing, but it just seemed like a fun gig and it's cheap.

Hogscraper posted:

My problem with Orange Goblin is that a lot of the riffing is just generic pentatonic guitar stuff. It sounds like dad rock to me. Which I know, I know, Stoner Rock is always straddling that line anyway. But I just want to hear something unique and I don't hear that in OG. I'm down with someone being heavily influenced by another band like Black Sabbath and taking it to a different place but if all you're going to do is rehash all the same old tricks I'd rather just pop on Paranoid and call it a day.

I know what you mean, especially from Big Black on. I like Frequencies and Time Travelling Blues because there's a little psychedelic streak in them that they really lost later where they moved away from being a "stoner rock" band to just straight up heavy metal with nothing to make them stand out. Ward's voice can be really grating as well because it's totally flat and a lot of the time it sounds like he's making GBS threads himself.

The new album is a little bit fresher, but it's all sort of background music rather than something you actually listen to or get involved with.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Saw Orange Goblin on Thursday and they were great. I'm not a particularly huge fan but they had a lot of energy and really seemed to be enjoying themselves. The setlist had a lot of variety too rather than just stuff from Eulogy.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Do Torche count as stoner rock? I'm reasonably sure I got them from this thread and I've barely stopped listening their new album Harmonicraft since it came out. It's probably one of the most uplifting things I've heard recently if that's what you're into.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Geddy Krueger posted:

Pitchfork is streaming another new Baroness track, "March to the Sea".

It's not what I was expecting based on the videos I've seen on YouTube, but I can't say I'm not excited as hell for this album.

I heard never heard any Baroness until I clicked that. Then I went straight to Amazon and preordered the album.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Asnorban posted:

Sort of a Torche-y sound.

Probably why I liked it so much since I haven't been able to get enough Torche lately.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

rxcowboy posted:

So I've been listening to Torche--Meanderthal and I love it. "Sludge Pop" is the closest I can describe it, like a balls out Foo Fighters. Besides the new Baroness, are there any other bands out there that resemble Torche? They are almost a missing link between sludge and more guitar oriented indie rock.

Just get all the Torche you can. I've been listening to them constantly since Harmonicraft came out, particularly that album and the Songs for Singles EP, I can't get enough. Harmonicraft is probably my favourite new album of this year.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

As long as it's somewhere between gloomy and angry and has a few massive solos from Thayil I can't see a problem.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Listening to Earth Rocker now, I really like it. It's a bit by-the-numbers, but it has way more energy than Strange Cousins, which kind of falls asleep after during Abraham Lincoln and doesn't wake up until Sleestack Lightning. They sound like they're enjoying themselves again and making me want to see them live again.

Mastering isn't as nice and smooth as Strange Cousins though.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

So I'm not the only one who likes Sabbath's new album? The mastering leaves me wanting, but it's nowhere near as bad as Death Magnetic, and that's some pretty good poo poo for 65-odd year old men who basically birthed a genre. Zeitgeist and Damaged Soul are standouts, but there really isn't a track on there that I feel like skipping, and I keep wanting to listen to it.

It's no Sabotage, but if it ends up being their final album then I'm pretty happy.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Silver Brushes posted:

It was surprisingly solid, and Damaged Soul was straight up Goatsnake. :stare: But yeah, it's definitely a step up from Forbidden. Not that Forbidden is something aspire to

As much as I'm enjoying it all I do wish the whole album was 9-10 tracks of about 5 minutes long each that all sounded like Damaged Soul.

And with Zeitgeist in there somewhere because that song owns, Planet Caravan Part 2 or whatever, who cares.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Just heard Barcelonian by Vista Chino and I really like it. The production sucks but, well, whatever I guess. I get a really strong Orquesta Del Desertio vibe from that song, just a bit heavier and more focused.

I really can't wait for the album, I've booked two tickets to see them at the O2 in Bristol on the 1st of November. Same place I saw them as Kyuss Lives and they were awesome then.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Not sure what everyone's thoughts on not-Kyuss band Vista Chino are, but the new album is up for preview on Spin's website along with some words from John Garcia. I think it's pretty good myself.

Clicky.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

I think I'm glad that Vista Chino album isn't under the Kyuss name. It's similar to their style, but it's definitely not the 'same' band. I like it but apart from Barcelonian none of it really grabs me, it's background music for working out or driving or something. The weak link is definitely the new guitarist, which is a real shame. He's a passable Homme-a-like when they do old Kyuss songs, but unfortunately it extends to him being a bit of a pale and unremarkable imitation when he's coming up with his own stuff.

I really don't mind the mastering half as bad as some of you guys though, I prefer how it sounds to ...Like Clockwork, although I prefer that album.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Handen posted:

Some friends and I started a band not too long ago and we record all of our jams, if anyone wants to give a listen to this and give feedback that'd be rad. No vocals at the moment, writing the music first. This is one of the first songs we've got under our belts so it might be a bit rough around the edges, but I'm thinking I oughtta post it anyway because someone might get a kick out of it.

Influences: Black Debbath, Black Mastiff, Atomic Bitchwax, Monster Magnet, Church of Misery, Fu Manchu, Clutch, etc. :buddy:

I’d probably pay for more of that.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Orange Goblin would count if they still sounded like they did on Frequencies from Planet Ten and Time Travelling blues, now they’re just a somewhat decent but run of the mill heavy metal band.

I wish they still sounded like they used to.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

So John Garcia finally released his solo album.

It’s not terrible, although it doesn’t break any new ground or anything. It’s better than the Vista Chino album, partially because it’s shorter and more streamlined, but it’s pretty much exactly what you’d expect from a John Garcia solo album.

It’s pretty decent driving/workout music. The only track I feel like I need to skip is Confusion which is awful faux-trippy dirge.

Single - My Mind

Also good:

5000 Miles

Crackerman fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 17, 2014

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Handen posted:

straight out of Frequencies/TTB era

That’s all I need to hear.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Juaguocio posted:

Come on man, that's downright shameful. Go listen to their first 5 albums on repeat and reevaluate your life.

"Tony Iommi is your friend."
-Al Cisneros

Why would you leave out Sabotage? Sabotage is the best one.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

They went to poo poo after Sabotage but it’s a hell of an album. I’d say it’s certainly the best thing Ozzy ever did.

I guess it’s more straight-up hard rock than metal/stoner like the earlier stuff though.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage is were they started to sound a bit more over the top and less doomy, which went way off in the wrong direction with Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Day, full of overly-wanky guitar solos and bad 70s synth. All the songs on those two stumble in a million different directions.

I used to hate Sabotage but over time it’s become my favourite along with Master of Reality and 4. I can’t believe how good Ozzy’s vocals are on it

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

The opening part of Gypsy on Technical Ecstasy is great then it just collapses into poo poo.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Blast Fantasto posted:

It's not really doomy, but I'll rep for Heaven and Hell. Probably my 3rd favorite Sabbath after Master of Reality and Paranoid.

The first two Dio albums are great and Dehumanizer is pretty good despite its abysmal cover art. The other 80 albums outside of those are poo poo, though. A lot of it is because Iommi wanted to make solo stuff but his label insisted he call it Black Sabbath, despite him being the only member of the band on most of those albums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

It’s also not stoner, sludge or doom.

Although I do really like the Sabra Cadabra/National Acrobat mashup on Garage Inc and will defend it forever.