Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Reading over the the gear tips, would pretty much all the guitar recommendations transfer over to bass as well? I got a little practice bass amp for cheap about a month back, but haven't got around to actually getting something to plug into it yet. Doom and sludge have long been my "home" sub-genres, so that's what I'm most interested in playing, obviously.

I'm not a total musical neophyte if it matters, but my background is not in the stringy or hitty bits. I've always trended to the lower end in the past though, so I figured bass is where I should go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Just discovered Glorior Belli. Is France just a series of swamps and I just never heard about it?

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Houseplant posted:

For the longest time I would have said to go to the BM thread with this, but their new album is loving nutty and fairly southern so I have no idea what to say. The new album is definitely worth a spin or two just to experience it.

What I heard was the newest one, yeah. I'll dig back a bit into their catalog in short order though, even if it's less...southern(?) sounding.

Killsion posted:

They come from Paris, so no. I'm really not into their new style though. It just feels so disjointed. I much prefer their earlier straight orthodox records like Manifesting the Raging Beast. I can absolutely rec that, but nothing after.

I kind of enjoy how it shifts around, myself. I'm not a huge black metal fan, though I can certainly enjoy at least some of it. I solid am from southern US though, and it just amazes me how dead on they can nail that feeling down coming from somewhere entirely different.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Juaguocio posted:

Anyone have any nominations for album of the year? For me, it's From The Ages by Earthless, with Mario Rubalcaba as MVP.

For me it's probably between Church of Misery and Windhand.

CoM always hits the part of my brain that just really wants to hear some dirty blues that makes me want to drive fast and murder people. I've tossed Brother Bishop at people who aren't into that side of metal usually and it always gets a look of "oh poo poo," so I figure that's worth something in and of itself. I don't think this album surprised anyone or reinvented anything, but they can drat sure write riffs.

Soma's a totally different thing though; it slows me down. It's something I try not to listen to while I'm at work because otherwise I can't get a damned thing done. The tempo sinks into my bones and that's all she wrote. So I listen to it while driving home or whenever I start to get frustrated with something. Basically it's chill out much for me, in the best possible sense.

I also really enjoyed Pelagial by The Ocean, but I'm not sure they belong in this thread. It isn't quite up there with Precambrian for me, but I much prefer it to Heliocentric/Anthropocentric.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Not sure if this has been posted, but I just saw this and it's the greatest thing I've ever seen in my life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nze_JpRrksQ

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Oh gently caress, I loved Gates of Slumber and was bummed when they broke up. Now this.

gently caress this year it needs to stop already.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Friends Are Evil posted:

Really kickass metal fest got announced in Tampa. It's called Southern Darkness Fest and it's on August 23rd. Lineup so far's leaning towards filthy sludge/Southern Lord bands.

Here's who's been announced so far:

Pelican
Black Tusk
Bongripper
All Pigs Must Die
Lord Mantis
Mouth of the Architect
Phobia
Yautja
Zoroaster
ASG
A Storm of Light
Junius
Weekend Nachos
Jungbluth
Everything Went Black
Strong Intention
Coke Bust
Sannheit

As well, there's a ton of great local Florida bands like Maruta, Centuries, Set and Setting, and Traitor Crucifix playing. If you live in the South, you need to go to this. There's still more bands to get added to the bill, but considering they just added Bongripper today, I feel like the rest of them are going to be crazy.

Yessssssssss. This is going to be amazing and I'm going to drag my ska-playing friends to this and crush their tiny, ska-playing minds. gently caress yes gonna see Bongripper :2bong: :black101:

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Oliver Reed posted:

Anyone listening to Dopelord, specifically Black Arts, Riff Worship & Weed Cult? I'm digging it.

Haha at first I thought this was, like, a bunch of EPs that I had missed or something. Thanks for the heads up, I really enjoyed Magick Rights so I'll be sure to check these out.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FmfxZi3NqQ

Weedeater and their buddy Scott I guess? It's kinda cool, I guess...

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

nerve posted:

New Sleep single this summer and they are playing some dates. I am going to get to see Sleep, so that owns.

Oh please come to Florida oh please oh please :pray:

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yeah, Uta Plotkin is my favorite female clean vocalist in metal. She's got a hell of a set of pipes. Cauldron of the Wild was a very underrated album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bWJjLMGFsc

I'm down with this. Lots of great female-fronted doom going these days but Uta is my favorite hands down.

New song rules, any word on a date for the full album or whatever it winds up being?

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Preorders for the new Yob are up now, but I'm kinda irked that the shirts that come with the CDs are different from the ones that come with the vinyl. I want that purple shirt, but I don't really do vinyl because I don't have anything to play it on and CDs are a lot less hassle anyway.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Looks like The Body are trying to buy a van. I kicked them a few bucks for the limited album, figured that maybe some of the other stoner metal goons would be interested.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Maybe I'm a YOB weirdo but Catharsis is the track I listen to over and over again.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Gonna say this now while before I crash for the night:

If any of you have never seen Bongripper live loving GO JESUS CHRIST. Holy poo poo they're soooo good and I only wish they'd have had a longer set.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Friends Are Evil posted:

I'm assuming this is about Southern Darkness Fest, but holy poo poo I still agree with this guy. Bongripper's amp blew partway through their set and they only got to play 2 or 3 songs, but their set was still the most metal thing I've ever seen.

Also, Southern Darkness Fest was killer. Yautja and Bongripper are particular highlights. I hope it comes back next year (and it sounds like it will).

Yeah, that's where I was. Losing what...10 minutes? to equipment failure does suck but anytime they were playing it was mindblowing. So loving good.

Any idea what the chick who got up on stage, tried to tell the band something, and then dove off and bolted was about?

Missed Yautja because I was at ASG's set, and they do a pretty damned good job too. Was kinda bummed that Black Tusk was playing against Bongripper, but what can you do? Had some hard choices to make.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know much about Bongripper's merch, specifically if they only do limited runs of things? I really want that loving goat shirt and it's sold out, so I'd like to know if there's hope of me getting one or if it's a pipe dream.

Also, looks like High on Fire's coming through in a few weeks. I really do love it when the stars align and I'm swamped in awesome shows.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You should sign up to Bongripper's mailing list, they're very good for emailing about merch. They put it up on their Facebook too.

Guess I'll do that then, thanks for the heads up.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
So uhhh I guess Slow Southern Steel is up on youtube for free now? I'mma have to set some time aside and watch it this weekend, been waiting for years.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Agustin Cienfuegos posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHi8mHZQa7o New video from Birmingham's Alunah, female fronted trad doom kinda stuff. I dig it.

Thanks for this, I'll probably snag the album when it drops.

Been listening to the new Yob since it got to my door last week and I gotta say I love it. Not much to add to what other people have said about it, just wanted to chime in. Also the first time I've actually bought something on vinyl and I have to say that it looks pretty damned sweet.

Get to see High on Fire this Friday :hellyeah:. Will be the first time I've gotten to see Matt Pike live, so I'm super stoked about it.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Just a heads up for interested people: Bongripper's going to have represses of the Miserable vinyls up today at 10:00 AM CST, along with some shirts and stuff. Finally going to get my goat shirt :hellyeah:

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Wow! Thanks for the tip, I didn't know the represses were coming around. The marble grey looks fantastic! Alas, no goat head shirts and limited sizes of the others.

Yeah, saw that. Bummed about the no goat shirts but glad you got some use from the tip at least.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Still B.A.E posted:

I just listened to Satan Worshipping Doom for the first time. It's quite something.

Do yourself a favor and listen to the live album from Roadburn. And then play it as loud as you loving can.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Stoner/Doom/Sludge: Recently Reinvented By Pallbearer

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Dyna Soar posted:

that's the joke, altoho i'm not sure if he really thinks they did. that album got incredibly rave reviews. some of them said pallbearer are the saviours of doom and the best doom band in the world. totally not their fault, but goddamn the hype around their first album was out of proportion.

No I do not really think that :colbert:

I did listen to their latest album that got all the crazy praise something like three times through, but nothing ever grabbed me. The hype did crack me up, though.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Allen Wren posted:

I haven't heard that one, admittedly. My biggest encounter with them was getting about halfway through Christs, Redeemers and just wanting to die.

e: Maybe like a quarter of the way through. It's basically why I stopped listening to black metal. I'm just like "STOP WITH THE SCREECHING AND SCRAPING."

Sounds like you'll really be into I Shall Die Here :v:

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'll have to dig back and find out what came out earlier in the year but I know that Yob's and Witch Mountain's albums have both been in pretty heavy rotation for me since they got to my door. Good poo poo.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo Bongripper goat shirts on sale again :hellyeah:

They have another goat shirt too, this time with snakes. I got the thread mascot though, because it's loving awesome.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Just got in from Destroyer Fest in St. Pete. Lots of good stoner-y metal goodness all night, and topped off by the mighty Weedeater. Best $15 I've spent in a long time. Fuckin' tired now, getting old kinda sucks.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

nerve posted:

Sometimes I want to complain that bands skip Milwaukee constantly, then I look and see what it would be like to live in the south, and I feel better.

Also I might as well post this here.

Let me tell you how much it sucks living in Florida :words:

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

clearly not a horse posted:

hell, I haven't even listened to Black Sabbath.

:psyduck: This is unreal. Sabbath is like the foundation of this thread. Everything is built on Sabbath. Seriously do yourself a favor and go through the first four albums because if you enjoy stoner metal even a little bit, you'll enjoy Sabbath.

Henry Rollins said we should rename el Nino to The First Four Black Sabbath albums, because they've wiped him out on numerous occasions.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Heading out to Orlando for Clutch and Torche in a bit. Should be a good time.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Double post but Torche and Clutch were both pretty solid. Kinda bummed for no Spacegrass or Dragonfly, but they played Pure Rock Fury so I can deal.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

From 1995 to 2005 I have probably seen Clutch a dozen times. By 2005 they played almost nothing from the S/T album. Personally, I didn't care most of their albums since Pure Rock Fury either. Then, I caught them last year supporting Earth Rocker, which I would consider a true return to form. They played Spacegrass, Escape From The Prison Planet and I Have the Body of John Wilkes Booth!!! Finally... Redemption.

Seeing Torche in just a few days. I'm anxious to hear the new stuff.

I think the real curveballs last night were Texan Book of the Dead to start the set off, and the encore started with fuckin' Animal Farm. As a whole the set felt Blast Tyrant-heavy (Cypress Grove, Profits of Doom, and Regulator all got played), but it was pretty well balanced. Elephant Riders and Pure Rock Fury! :toot:

Torche were pretty good. It's the first time I've seen them live but I've listened to them for a while. Was pretty stoked to hear Vampyro, made me smile. Obviously no idea how they stack up to the days of yore but once they started playing I was very quickly in "yeah that's definitely Torche" mode. I'd like to see them in a smaller setting I think, but they worked for me at least.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

zenless posted:

Ugh, want to see Yob but have no interest in Enslaved.. why isn't YOB headlining??

Enslaved are actually pretty good live. I caught them opening for Amon Amarth without really knowing much about them and was really impressed with their show. I say go for Yob for sure, and then give Enslaved a chance. Not much to lose, yeah?

Also, super jealous of you people that will be able to catch that tour. Atlanta is the closest they're coming to me and that's like 7-8 hours away. Floridaaaaa :doom:

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Digging that new Elder track, definitely picking that one up. Thanks for posting that link.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Dyna Soar posted:

hahahaha new acid king album cover, what the gently caress

They've been down too long in the midnight sea and this is what's become of them. Clearly.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Cross-posting from the metal thread since I love this thread so much. I hope you don't mind a little shameless self-promotion real quick.

I put together a website for metal tour dates in the US and Canada - www.metaltours.us. I got tired of searching through all sorts of bullshit to find shows coming by me so I made this site. There's no reviews, interviews, top 10 lists, or any of that - just metal tour dates. It auto-publishes the feed to the facebook site and the twitter feed, and I've got a mailing list you can sign up for that I'll use to send out weekly/monthly updates.

Anyways, this page just started off as a personal project of mine that's sort of taken off (hit 666 likes 2 days ago on the fb page, almost at 800 now, and I submitted the link to reddit/r/metal last night and it's getting a lot of good feedback, so I wanted to share with you goons. Right now it's just one guy (me) doing the updates whenever I find them, but I'm hoping this thing can get even bigger and become the go-to place for this stuff. Hope you guys like it!

Thanks to this I know that Yautja is coming through in April and now I don't feel so bad about missing them back in August. This thing rules.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ElectricWizard posted:

If you like Uncle Acid, Blood Ceremony, or Mount Salem, you'll probably like Ruby The Hatchet. Their debut full-length is out soon, and the cover art is pretty great:

Unfortunately I can't find any tracks from the full-length online, but here's a track from their EP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Circmpbzm6M

Thanks for this, bought a copy of the EP that song's from, plus they have a 9 song album up as a "pay what you want" download.

I can get behind this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
After you get through Torche and Floor it's time to go back into the far past and dig up Cavity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsydNUrMviA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvBEcZV-2Kc