Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

JohnWilkesGoonth posted:

Can someone explain the basics of how cards are sold? I was looking at the Topps 2011 set and there are like hobby boxes, jumbo hobby boxes, retail boxes, and a bunch of other poo poo. I don't really understand the differences between, say, hobby and retail.
Hobby boxes have more inserts in them, and far better odds to pull the good stuff. It seems like the retail boxes (or anything you get at the big box stores that sell cards) have virtually no inserts anymore, or the odds are astronomical.

Jumbo hobby boxes contain fewer packs, but each pack has like 20-40 cards in it, I forget exactly how many. There are also some inserts you can only get out of those boxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Somewhere around the house I do have an autographed toothbrush from Turk Wendell from the early 90's....luckily not game used.

I'm sure that I am not the only one here with a story like this but after I left for college my family decided to move and in the process of cleaning my collection of 50's era cards was thrown out. That 1954 Whitey Ford of mine is long gone, 1958 Mantle and Mays, and more. For some reason my folks were surprised when I didn't jump for joy with the knowledge that box after box of mid 80's through early 90's commons were saved though!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Hobby boxes have more inserts in them, and far better odds to pull the good stuff. It seems like the retail boxes (or anything you get at the big box stores that sell cards) have virtually no inserts anymore, or the odds are astronomical.

Jumbo hobby boxes contain fewer packs, but each pack has like 20-40 cards in it, I forget exactly how many. There are also some inserts you can only get out of those boxes.

Thanks for the info. I might buy a box for fun down the line, but it seems like, for me, just picking up a Rangers team set off ebay is the way to go.

WillBBC3
Sep 24, 2010

I remember the first BGS Gem Jeter SP rookie that went on eBay probably back in 99 or so for over 30K, it was unreal. It'll still pull huge money (2500-3000) but holy poo poo, it was ridiculous.

I firmly believe the 01 Bowman Chrome Pujols rookie will be the last truly great card. The hobby just has such a hard time now creating cards/sets/brands that really stand out. That card had so much going for it. A low print run of 500 that was only about 80% filled--great looking card and it's Albert loving Pujols. The guy's a beast.

Also--I think the 96 Select Certified Mirror Golds may have sold for more than the 93 Refractors if I remember correctly. The Griffey used to pull 2-3K the few times it'd ever show up at a show/auction. They only made 30 of each.

97 they added the Mirror Black cards which were gorgeous but they didn't pull the same kind of numbers.

I wish eBay was huge back in October 1996 so I could see how much the Andruw Jones Bowman's Best Refractor would've sold for. Think Bryce Harper prices but...more.

WillBBC3 fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 18, 2011

DrGonzo90
Sep 13, 2010
I'm thinking about getting back into collecting by just buying a few packs here and there to mess around with this year (or maybe a few boxes if I'm having fun), but I have a few questions.

So Topps is basically the only game in town anymore, with Upper Deck doing as best it can and then a couple other also-rans? And Topps releases like 20 different kinds of insert cards/autograph series along with the base set?

Does everyone just buy hobby boxes hoping to get really rare autographed and cut-up jersey insert cards?

Basically, can someone fill me in on the baseball card landscape as it stands right now and the best way to get back into the game in order to have fun and maybe get something cool? Are there low-budget and high-budget groups or does everyone just buy random packs/boxes?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

DrGonzo90 posted:

So Topps is basically the only game in town anymore, with Upper Deck doing as best it can and then a couple other also-rans? And Topps releases like 20 different kinds of insert cards/autograph series along with the base set?

Topps is the only game in town since last year, as they have an MLB-exclusive license. Except for Topps, there's one small company that does a prospects series, but other than that, it's just Topps.

Upper Deck got into a major lawsuit/scandal for counterfeiting Yugioh cards, and lost their MLB, NFL, and NBA licenses.

Typically, a set will have a large base set, and 4-5 small insert sets. There's also a jersey card set, and an autograph set per product. Super high-end products will have a lot more jersey/autograph cards, if not entirely those.

DrGonzo90 posted:

Does everyone just buy hobby boxes hoping to get really rare autographed and cut-up jersey insert cards?

Depends. Hobby boxes are much better to build a set with fewer doubles, hobby boxes have better odds at getting jersey/auto cards (and better ones), and there's usually certain extras that come with hobby boxes (like special inserts or promotions).

DrGonzo90 posted:

Basically, can someone fill me in on the baseball card landscape as it stands right now and the best way to get back into the game in order to have fun and maybe get something cool? Are there low-budget and high-budget groups or does everyone just buy random packs/boxes?

Right now, Topps is making about a dozen releases over the course of a season. Here's what is out, so far:

- Topps -

The basic set that has come out for 60 years. 330 base cards, along with gold, diamond, and HOF parallels. This set also has a bunch of inserts, a Topps 60 jersey set, a Topps 60 autograph set, and in jumbo hobby boxes, cards with leather nameplates embedded in them.

This set has been out since February. Series 2 comes out in April/May.

- Topps Heritage -

This set has come out for over ten years, and it is a vintage style set with each release paralleling a historical Topps set. This year's version is in the style of 1962 Topps, with similar looking cards, insert/jersey/autograph cards relating to 1962, and gimmick cards (like stamps) that were produced back then. There are only 1-2 big hits per box, but those could include HOF jersey cards and autographs. One big thing in this year's set is Sandy Koufax signing for the first time in years.

This set came out this week.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
The last sets I actually collected were the first two years of Topps Heritage (and the original Gallery Heritage inserts). Those cards own a lot.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

AsInHowe posted:

Right now, Topps is making about a dozen releases over the course of a season. Here's what is out, so far:
There's also Topps Opening Day, which is the bargain set aimed at younger collectors. It's a smaller set, I think, and has some fun-themed short prints and insert sets, like presidential first pitches and mascots. It's also got 5 of the "Happy 60th Topps" inscribed autographs, so if you're looking for one of those (#'d to 60) that's one set you can find them in.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Friends of the family bought me the Topps complete sets from the year of my birth (1984) to like 1996 or 7ish. Most of the 80s and early 90s ones are not in sealed condition or anything because, being a kid, I naturally wanted to open the boxes and look at the cards. I should go back through all that stuff. I also had a bunch of 3 ring binders with random poo poo I collected via packs and what not.

What happened that the bottom fell out of the baseball card market? People stop caring?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

stuart scott irl posted:

What happened that the bottom fell out of the baseball card market? People stop caring?

Overproduction, then overexposure, then putting out too many low numbered insert cards.

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
I have a Topps A-Rod rookie somewhere in my room at home (the pic attached). I have no idea where it is but it's in excellent condition and I have no idea what it's worth.

I also have my collection of really lovely player autographs including a game used Brandon Wood autographed bat and 8x10s of Jeff Francoeur, Jack Cust, Yuninesky Betancourt, Nick Punto, Willie Bloomquist, and RA Dickey

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dick Williams fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 19, 2011

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

jeffersonlives posted:

Overproduction, then overexposure, then putting out too many low numbered insert cards.
Basically. It was a common joke among collectors that in the late 1980s Topps produced an entire set of cards for every man, woman, and child in America. But yeah, there was extreme overproduction throughout the '80s and early '90s, followed by a million different sets being released each year from 1997-2005 or so. At this point you start to have Pacific losing its baseball license, followed by Fleer going bankrupt and being bought out by Upper Deck (the beginning of the end was Donruss/Pinnacle going bankrupt in the late '90s).

Today there are several companies still doing unlicensed stuff that isn't all that terrible, like Tristar and In the Game. But

Horse Pepsi
Aug 26, 2010

by T. Finn

I CHALLENGE THEE posted:

I have a Topps A-Rod rookie somewhere in my room at home (the pic attached). I have no idea where it is but it's in excellent condition and I have no idea what it's worth.

I also have my collection of really lovely player autographs including a game used Brandon Wood autographed bat and 8x10s of Jeff Francoeur, Jack Cust, Yuninesky Betancourt, Nick Punto, Willie Bloomquist, and RA Dickey

Did you just call R.A. Dickey really lovely? :ssj:

Most of my baseball memorabilia is in old team yearbooks. Some old Mets and an late 70s Red Sox one among them.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

I CHALLENGE THEE posted:

That's an Upper Deck SP A-Rod rookie, one of the few cards that is worth decent money from that time period, especially in top condition because the foil and borders can get ugly. Although a lot less than it was before STEROIDS.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I always think of this when I think "iconic-90s-card:"

(My hosting.)

Re: Topps, on top of Series 1, 2 & Update and Heritage, you'll get Topps Chrome, Topps Allen & Ginter, Topps T206 (may have been discontinued this year for...) Topps Gypsy Queen, Topps Pro Debut Series 1 & 2 (minor league players), Topps Finest, Topps Tribute, Topps Sterling and Topps Triple Threads.

drat. The exclusive license really did nothing to deter "too many sets being made in any given year" other than making it a singular company that is making too many sets.

Personally, I think Topps is WAAAAAYYYY overdoing it with the modern-vintage crossover crap. One set a year is cool, but I don't need Heritage AND Ginter AND 206 AND Chicle AND Gypsy Queen. And a drat lot of Topps sets have those mini-card inserts which are a pain in the rear end. If you want to keep your good minis in decent shape that's YET ANOTHER size sleeve/top loader/page you've got to buy.

I understand that it's a way to introduce young people to the history of the hobby, but I was under the impression that the lessons we've all learned about over saturation have already been learned.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

AsInHowe posted:

Upper Deck got into a major lawsuit/scandal for counterfeiting Yugioh cards, and lost their MLB, NFL, and NBA licenses.

This is hilarious to me.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I love Topps Heritage but cant stand how they short print so much of the set. Same with Allen & Ginter.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Groucho Marxist posted:

This is hilarious to me.
It gets even worse: UD's CEO was actually caught in his office shredding some of these cards at one point as someone walked into his office.

WillBBC3
Sep 24, 2010

Chief McHeath posted:

I always think of this when I think "iconic-90s-card:"

(My hosting.)

Re: Topps, on top of Series 1, 2 & Update and Heritage, you'll get Topps Chrome, Topps Allen & Ginter, Topps T206 (may have been discontinued this year for...) Topps Gypsy Queen, Topps Pro Debut Series 1 & 2 (minor league players), Topps Finest, Topps Tribute, Topps Sterling and Topps Triple Threads.

drat. The exclusive license really did nothing to deter "too many sets being made in any given year" other than making it a singular company that is making too many sets.

Personally, I think Topps is WAAAAAYYYY overdoing it with the modern-vintage crossover crap. One set a year is cool, but I don't need Heritage AND Ginter AND 206 AND Chicle AND Gypsy Queen. And a drat lot of Topps sets have those mini-card inserts which are a pain in the rear end. If you want to keep your good minis in decent shape that's YET ANOTHER size sleeve/top loader/page you've got to buy.

I understand that it's a way to introduce young people to the history of the hobby, but I was under the impression that the lessons we've all learned about over saturation have already been learned.

I like the Heritage sets but am not a fan of the Topps 206 or Gypsy Queens cards. The images look like they were done that just found out how to use Photoshop filters and went to town. They don't look like paintings at all. If they are actually paintings--I apologize.

Anybody here read Mint Condition? Came out about a year ago--author gets into such great detail about some great collectors/collections and the history of the whole hobby, really enjoyed it.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

FlamingLiberal posted:

It gets even worse: UD's CEO was actually caught in his office shredding some of these cards at one point as someone walked into his office.

Having worked in the industry for like 5 years, nothing surprises me anymore.

(this is coming from someone who held a 3000ct box that had 100 card lots of every 96 Certified Mirror Gold in it)

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Isn't Upper Deck also infamous for 'backdooring' a percentage of low serial numbered cards by giving them or "losing" them to employees rather than actually placing them in product?

DrGonzo90
Sep 13, 2010

AsInHowe posted:

Topps is the only game in town since last year, as they have an MLB-exclusive license. Except for Topps, there's one small company that does a prospects series, but other than that, it's just Topps.

Typically, a set will have a large base set, and 4-5 small insert sets. There's also a jersey card set, and an autograph set per product. Super high-end products will have a lot more jersey/autograph cards, if not entirely those.

Depends. Hobby boxes are much better to build a set with fewer doubles, hobby boxes have better odds at getting jersey/auto cards (and better ones), and there's usually certain extras that come with hobby boxes (like special inserts or promotions).

- Topps -

The basic set that has come out for 60 years. 330 base cards, along with gold, diamond, and HOF parallels. This set also has a bunch of inserts, a Topps 60 jersey set, a Topps 60 autograph set, and in jumbo hobby boxes, cards with leather nameplates embedded in them.

This set has been out since February. Series 2 comes out in April/May.

- Topps Heritage -

This set has come out for over ten years, and it is a vintage style set with each release paralleling a historical Topps set. This year's version is in the style of 1962 Topps, with similar looking cards, insert/jersey/autograph cards relating to 1962, and gimmick cards (like stamps) that were produced back then. There are only 1-2 big hits per box, but those could include HOF jersey cards and autographs. One big thing in this year's set is Sandy Koufax signing for the first time in years.

This set came out this week.

OK thanks for the info. It sounds like there are still a ton of sets, they're just all Topps now - that's kind of annoying. I guess maybe I'll start with the basic set and pick one of the other sets to mess around with. The problem is that I don't like feeling that my collection is incomplete but it would be impossible to collect all the sets. It almost makes me not want to start collecting again at all. If you give people too many choices it makes it harder to make a decision.

WillBBC3
Sep 24, 2010

DrGonzo90 posted:

OK thanks for the info. It sounds like there are still a ton of sets, they're just all Topps now - that's kind of annoying. I guess maybe I'll start with the basic set and pick one of the other sets to mess around with. The problem is that I don't like feeling that my collection is incomplete but it would be impossible to collect all the sets. It almost makes me not want to start collecting again at all. If you give people too many choices it makes it harder to make a decision.

I think your best bet may be to do some research and find a set, be it modern or vintage, that really makes you want to chase down a few cards.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

DrGonzo90 posted:

What kind of sets would you be looking for? Even though all the sets are made by Topps, there really isn't much of a connection between the majority of all the sets.

WillBBC3
Sep 24, 2010

If anybody's looking for some modern stuff just name a player and I'll let you know what I've got. I'm looking to get rid of a ton of modern cards over the next few months.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

WillBBC3 posted:

If anybody's looking for some modern stuff just name a player and I'll let you know what I've got. I'm looking to get rid of a ton of modern cards over the next few months.

Base cards or memorabilia hits or what?

WillBBC3
Sep 24, 2010

Any and all of the above. I have a ton of certified autos--the memorabilia cards never did much for me. I'm focusing 95% on vintage now and just trying to make room.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm looking for cool Rangers cards, so if you've got any of those we can definitely work something out.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Crossposting from N/V: I was at Yankees ST in Tampa today and collected a few scrawls.

edit: there's more all around the barrel

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

You did extremely well, Yankees camp is usually terrible.

Looks like you got the following on the bat:

-David Wells
-Mark Teixeira
-Robinson Cano
-Joba Chamberlain
-Jesus Montero
-Andruw Jones
-Justin Maxwell

there's also part of a signature that isn't fully visible

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

From what I recognize/remember:

Robbie Cano
Andruw Jones
Mark Teixeira
Jesus Montero
David Wells
Freddy Garcia
Justin Maxwell
Joba Chamberlain
Derek Jeter
Goose Gossage
Joe Girardi
Nick Swisher (nicest dude ever)
Tony Pena
...and 1 that I don't remember or recognize. It's all kind of a blur.

I got into this special event through a family connection. How do you recognize so many autos?

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Man if I were a baseball player my signature would be way loving uglier than any of those, to the point where people probably wouldn't want it

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

zakharov posted:

I got into this special event through a family connection. How do you recognize so many autos?

Most of those guys have very recognizable graphs, the only one I didn't get immediately was Maxwell.

stuart scott irl posted:

Man if I were a baseball player my signature would be way loving uglier than any of those, to the point where people probably wouldn't want it

So basically Miguel Cabrera or Fernando Martinez.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

zakharov posted:

I'm an autograph collector.

Was this at the Yankees luncheon thing they had this week?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah that was this morning.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

zakharov posted:

Yeah that was this morning.
OK, that must have been something different from what I'm thinking of. I was just curious because a good chunk of those players never sign at the games.

Also if you post the signatures you aren't sure of I can probably identify them for you.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Already taken care of thanks to the magic of Twitter, it was AJ Burnett. Apparently he isn't very memorable.

The event I was at was a YES Network event, if that helps.

DrBagpipes
Nov 21, 2003
I AM A STUPID SHITHEEL

zakharov posted:

Already taken care of thanks to the magic of Twitter, it was AJ Burnett. Apparently he isn't very memorable.

The event I was at was a YES Network event, if that helps.

AJ Burnett is memorable for being terrible.

But that's an awesome bat.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Heh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

stuart scott irl posted:

Heh

At least they bothered to photoshop the change, most of the time the first Topps set of the year keeps them in their same uniform from the previous year.

• Locked thread