Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
It was funnier when cards were just horribly airbrushed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

ElwoodCuse posted:

It was funnier when cards were just horribly airbrushed

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Had a nice little mailday today adding to my burgeoning Reds autograph collection. Got an 08 UD Signs of Greatness (or somesuch) Brandon Phillips autograph and a 2008 Topps Chrome Johnny Cueto rookie auto.

Also if anyone wants any 2011 Topps Series One base sets, get at me. I've got probably a dozen left over and need to get them out the drat door.

Hydrogenated
Apr 9, 2010
I have a shoebox or two of baseball cards. Probably nothing of any value though. I got them when I was younger, and they are all mid 80's to very early 90's. The only good thing about them is that they all look fresh out of the wrapping. I haven't looked at them in years so I have no clue if I have anything special, but I highly doubt it.

I've thought about getting back into cards, trying to collect more valuable ones, but I don't know yet.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

The 2011 Topps 60 relic reprints are pretty cool but kinda goofy looking. I pulled an Ernie Banks out of a pack that I bought as a whim which is kinda neat. It's this card (but number 15/60)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

eviLduke
Jul 5, 2006

cardsharkbreaks.net

purkey posted:

The 2011 Topps 60 relic reprints are pretty cool but kinda goofy looking. I pulled an Ernie Banks out of a pack that I bought as a whim which is kinda neat. It's this card (but number 15/60)

That is a sweet card, what's the value on it? I am trying to organize a SA box break in the football card forum. Any interest in here?

ed: looks like you could get $50 for it, but I'd keep it. I am starting to collect these again but only because I've started to collect signed memorabilia.

DrGonzo90
Sep 13, 2010
I ended up buying a box of series one and had a blast opening the packs. All I ended up with for my effort, though, was a Lou Marson catcher steals autograph and a Brian Matusz Silk Collection, there really isn't much less exciting than that. What are people using to store cards these days? Does everyone still use the books and 9 card sleeves?

I asked my local card shop guy about jumbo boxes, he says they're really tough to get ahold of. Is there any way to get them or do I just have to get lucky when the next series comes out or pay above retail on ebay?

Also, does anyone know when series 2 comes out or do they not really release that info beforehand?

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

eviLduke posted:

That is a sweet card, what's the value on it? I am trying to organize a SA box break in the football card forum. Any interest in here?

ed: looks like you could get $50 for it, but I'd keep it. I am starting to collect these again but only because I've started to collect signed memorabilia.

It's a pretty cool Ernie Banks card. No way I'd sell it for less than way, way more than it's worth.

DrGonzo90 posted:

I asked my local card shop guy about jumbo boxes, he says they're really tough to get ahold of. Is there any way to get them or do I just have to get lucky when the next series comes out or pay above retail on ebay?

Blowoutcards dot com has jumbo boxes for about $141, but I don't know if that's a good place to buy from or not.

purkey fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 19, 2011

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

DrGonzo90 posted:

I ended up buying a box of series one and had a blast opening the packs. All I ended up with for my effort, though, was a Lou Marson catcher steals autograph and a Brian Matusz Silk Collection, there really isn't much less exciting than that. What are people using to store cards these days? Does everyone still use the books and 9 card sleeves?

Also, does anyone know when series 2 comes out or do they not really release that info beforehand?

Series 2 comes out in mid-june, I believe. If you're set on getting a jumbo box I'd preorder one as soon as you have the cash, since they're ~90 bucks right now and they'll probably end up selling for 120-130ish.

As far as storing stuff goes, it depends on how much I care about it. I have a complete Topps Series 1 set in penny sleeves in a cardboard box, then Rangers team sets/parallels in a binder, and the autos/relics I have on display are in magnetic hard cases on little stands on my entertainment center. Everything else gets shoved unsleeved in a 500 count box until it's full, at which point I give it to my local card store that donates cards to kids.

I have a stack of cards I'm about to send off for TTM autographs, it'll be fun to see if any come back signed.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

JohnWilkesGoonth posted:

I have a stack of cards I'm about to send off for TTM autographs, it'll be fun to see if any come back signed.
If you tell me who you're sending to I can tell you who signs. I've been doing that for like 6 years now.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

If you tell me who you're sending to I can tell you who signs. I've been doing that for like 6 years now.

Do you have an index or database or anything? TTM is something I've wanted to start doing for a while now, just haven't.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Looking to buy a box of UD for my friend for his birthday. I'd rather buy a wax box with packs but the listing for a complete set is _way_ cheaper than the wax box. Both are unopened. What gives?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Chief McHeath posted:

Do you have an index or database or anything? TTM is something I've wanted to start doing for a while now, just haven't.
If you want to see what players' habits are, sign up for an account at sportscollectors.net. It's the biggest database that I know of as far as sports TTMs. Or, you can tell me who you want to send to and I can save you stamps on those guys that don't sign.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Strong Sauce posted:

Looking to buy a box of UD for my friend for his birthday. I'd rather buy a wax box with packs but the listing for a complete set is _way_ cheaper than the wax box. Both are unopened. What gives?
In a wax box you're basically paying extra for the chance to pull inserts (like numbered cards, autographs, game used stuff, etc.). The problem is that the prices are so inflated, and you can get some of the higher-end pulls for like half the cost of the box.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

In a wax box you're basically paying extra for the chance to pull inserts (like numbered cards, autographs, game used stuff, etc.). The problem is that the prices are so inflated, and you can get some of the higher-end pulls for like half the cost of the box.
Thanks. I'm essentially buying it for the opening packs factor. Anything from 1991 is not going to be worth that much anyways, just wondering why the factory set was something like half the cost of the wax pack. I don't even remember anything in 91 that was _that_ crazy in terms of inserts/pulls.

Also do you know what is the difference between a Final Edition Factory Set and a Complete Factory Set? The final edition is cheaper and is in the shape of a wax pack box and not a normal complete set box.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Strong Sauce posted:

Also do you know what is the difference between a Final Edition Factory Set and a Complete Factory Set? The final edition is cheaper and is in the shape of a wax pack box and not a normal complete set box.
I've honestly never heard of that before. My guess is that the packaging is different, or they were sold in different places? What set is this?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

I've honestly never heard of that before. My guess is that the packaging is different, or they were sold in different places? What set is this?

'91 Upper Deck

Edit: Did some researching, looks like the "final" means its about 100 cards with all the called up rookies/traded players.

quote:

1991 Upper Deck baseball final edition card set. 100 card set features rookie cards of Jim Thome, Ivan Rodriguez, Pedro Martinez and Kenny Lofton. 1991 All-Stars, late season trades and rookie call-ups as well as the best Minor league Diamond skills players are included. Great addition to your regular 1991 Upper Deck set

eviLduke
Jul 5, 2006

cardsharkbreaks.net
I want to set up a SA baseball box break! The football thread is getting messy, so I am just going to throw something out there. I will buy a decent baseball box between $80-$125. What I need is 4 other (first come, first serve) goons, besides me of course, that are willing to spend anywhere from $16-$25 (plus $2 for shipping?) for fun! Each goon will receive 6 teams which we will draft. Details are that I'd like to draft over AIM to not poo poo up this thread, I have a webcam so I'll be able to air it. I am totally open to ideas, but I think this will find at least 4 goons, so it'll be the first to post that they're in and want to do it. I will decide what box based on price versus number of cards and more importantly "hits" as in autos and memorabilia. Who's in?!

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

eviLduke posted:

I want to set up a SA baseball box break! The football thread is getting messy, so I am just going to throw something out there. I will buy a decent baseball box between $80-$125. What I need is 4 other (first come, first serve) goons, besides me of course, that are willing to spend anywhere from $16-$25 (plus $2 for shipping?) for fun! Each goon will receive 6 teams which we will draft. Details are that I'd like to draft over AIM to not poo poo up this thread, I have a webcam so I'll be able to air it. I am totally open to ideas, but I think this will find at least 4 goons, so it'll be the first to post that they're in and want to do it. I will decide what box based on price versus number of cards and more importantly "hits" as in autos and memorabilia. Who's in?!

The problem with doing these things as a Pirates fan is that stuff from the Yanks, Sox, Cubs, etc are worth waaaaay more than anything from the Pirates, but I still have to pay the same. So as long as I can pick a "valuable" team with my first pick, and get the Pirates with my second, I'm in.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

So I'm just checking out whats good in a '91 UD basic set and apparently its the Chipper Jones/Mike Mussina rookies and the Michael Jordan card. Apparently some people got it graded by PSA to increase the Jones card from 0.84c to asking price of anywhere from $30-$40. Kinda :lol: http://www.checkoutmycards.com/Cards/Baseball/1991/Upper_Deck/55/Chipper_Jones_RC_PSA_GRADED_10

Edit: Apparently Ivan Rodriguez/Jim Thome/Eric Karros and Pedro Martinez rookies as well.

eviLduke
Jul 5, 2006

cardsharkbreaks.net

camoseven posted:

The problem with doing these things as a Pirates fan is that stuff from the Yanks, Sox, Cubs, etc are worth waaaaay more than anything from the Pirates, but I still have to pay the same. So as long as I can pick a "valuable" team with my first pick, and get the Pirates with my second, I'm in.

Wow, no other interest? This really took off in the football thread and it was my idea :saddowns: but another goon has taken it over.

If you are looking for "value", you have picked the wrong hobby. I won't be buying a Topps Tribute box or anything, one within that price range so everyone still gets something. The box I buy will at most have a couple of autos or memorabilia but those still aren't going to be worth a poo poo. I thought it would be fun, but if there's no interest, that's cool too. We could also figure out a way to value the teams we pick, but I just merely wanted to do it for fun.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
We should do it later in the season, when there's more "fun" products out.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

eviLduke posted:

If you are looking for "value", you have picked the wrong hobby.

Yea, but I can trade a Jeter insert for almost a team set of Pirates base.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

eviLduke posted:

I'd be keen, as long as shipping to New Zealand isn't too much trouble Obviously I'd pay a little more to cover the added cost. Drafting over AIM would be difficult due to timezone issues in addition to not being an AIM user.

eviLduke
Jul 5, 2006

cardsharkbreaks.net

camoseven posted:

Yea, but I can trade a Jeter insert for almost a team set of Pirates base.

Then maybe if we have 5 goons in, we divide the teams randomly by payroll. The top 5 will be randomly divvied out. Then teams 6-10 on the list and so on. And then we can trade!

Jono C posted:

I'd be keen, as long as shipping to New Zealand isn't too much trouble Obviously I'd pay a little more to cover the added cost. Drafting over AIM would be difficult due to timezone issues in addition to not being an AIM user.

We could use whatever medium we decided on, I figured AIM was the most common but we could also just start a thread for it.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
I can ship combined orders to anyone internationally who wants to do this and the football breaks.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Screw a box break, be a man and make it a case. That is if you can find 30 goons to jump in.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

So I got a box of cheapos (Opening Day) and not-so-cheapos (Gypsy Queen), which one should I open first?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Strong Sauce posted:

So I got a box of cheapos (Opening Day) and not-so-cheapos (Gypsy Queen), which one should I open first?

Do the Opening Day first, then the Gypsy Queen. And post what you get here!

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Well no autographs from Opening Day. Too many Yankees as well :(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

LOL why in the world would you buy Opening Day?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Cause its stress free pack opening and its cheap? I also liked collecting the Stadium Lights series and I thought those were pretty cool. I had way more fun opening those then sweating out what turned out to be a lovely box of Gypsy Queen.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Yea Opening Day is pretty fun.

EllisD
Mar 14, 2004

WHAT IS THIS BULLSHIT!?
I used to have tons of Topps from the 80s. Probably still do but they're buried in storage at my parents' house. I do have a 1987 Topps Barry Bonds that I would love to get signed, but I heard Bonds is completely unapproachable when it comes to signatures. Corners are perfect and everything, It's been air-tight preserved since I opened it 20 years ago. I like to think if I got it PSA graded it would fetch a 9 but it's not worth nearly enough to go through all that trouble.

It will likely remain a $5 card for the next few decades. :smith:

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

EllisD posted:

I used to have tons of Topps from the 80s. Probably still do but they're buried in storage at my parents' house. I do have a 1987 Topps Barry Bonds that I would love to get signed, but I heard Bonds is completely unapproachable when it comes to signatures. Corners are perfect and everything, It's been air-tight preserved since I opened it 20 years ago. I like to think if I got it PSA graded it would fetch a 9 but it's not worth nearly enough to go through all that trouble.

It will likely remain a $5 card for the next few decades. :smith:

http://cgi.ebay.com/21-card-lot-1987-Topps-320-Barry-Bonds-Rookies-/150597383359?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item23104db4bf#ht_500wt_1156

Its really sad how overproduced these cards were. I wonder what would have happened had the '94 strike not occurred and made everyone realize what was going on.

EllisD
Mar 14, 2004

WHAT IS THIS BULLSHIT!?

Strong Sauce posted:

http://cgi.ebay.com/21-card-lot-1987-Topps-320-Barry-Bonds-Rookies-/150597383359?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item23104db4bf#ht_500wt_1156

Its really sad how overproduced these cards were. I wonder what would have happened had the '94 strike not occurred and made everyone realize what was going on.

I'll stick with my price guide value :colbert:

What really hurts is I'm sure everyone has a grandpa story like mine where "your grandfather used to have a lot of old baseball cards but got rid of them" and you realize if it wasn't for their carelessness you could be sitting on a gold mine right now.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

Strong Sauce posted:

http://www.checkoutmycards.com/Cards/Baseball/1987/Topps/320/Barry_Bonds_RC

Overproduced is one way of describing it.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Jono C posted:

http://www.checkoutmycards.com/Cards/Baseball/1987/Topps/320/Barry_Bonds_RC

Overproduced is one way of describing it.

That's only like 120 something. I don't really think that shows the complete gluttony of 1980s/1990s baseball cards.

Thinking about buying some Basketball, Really like the Panini Classic design. Anyone else buy any?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I bought a blaster of Gypsy Queen from Target, it seems like a pretty cool set. I pulled a couple of x/99 Sepia minis, but nothing else of note. I might pick up a base set off ebay, a 350 card base set seems like it'll take multiple boxes to put together.

Strong Sauce posted:

That's only like 120 something. I don't really think that shows the complete gluttony of 1980s/1990s baseball cards.

Thinking about buying some Basketball, Really like the Panini Classic design. Anyone else buy any?

I do singles from Panini, my favorites probably come from the Absolute Memorabilia sets but those are really expensive to buy by the pack. For random packs I'd get either Classic or Studio, whichever you like better.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insideoutsider
Aug 31, 2003

You want a van? I get you a van.

JohnWilkesGoonth posted:

I bought a blaster of Gypsy Queen from Target, it seems like a pretty cool set. I pulled a couple of x/99 Sepia minis, but nothing else of note. I might pick up a base set off ebay, a 350 card base set seems like it'll take multiple boxes to put together.

I do singles from Panini, my favorites probably come from the Absolute Memorabilia sets but those are really expensive to buy by the pack. For random packs I'd get either Classic or Studio, whichever you like better.

I've picked up a few retail boxes of Gypsy Queen from Target and I'm really liking it. I haven't pulled anything too special, a Brett Cecil certified autograph and a Josh Johnson game used relic (unsigned) but I really like the look of the cards.

My last box/card purchase was a box of 99 Ultra so it's been a long time. I really need to control myself as I was really bad with spending literally all my money on cards as a kid but if I keep it to 1 or 2 sets a year I think I'll be ok. Gypsy Queen seems to be the set for me this year.

• Locked thread