Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Heritage is a tough set because of the short prints. I'd recommend buying jumbo boxes of Topps. You usually get a full set in each box plus an auto and two relics.

I've thrown out commons for years. The only time its come back to bite me was 2011 Topps Update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

WillBBC3 posted:

Love me some Rendon. Can't wait to see him back.
/5

/66

I bet you already have them but I have the SP and the chrome refractor if you need them.

I Am Frick
Mar 26, 2004

The lesser half
of Frick and Frack

tarlibone posted:

Now, for my stupid question: is there such a thing as just regular baseball cards anymore? Everything now seems to be some special edition or another. I remember this starting to happen back in the 90s, when brands like Score and Upper Deck popped up. (Before then, there were 3 brands: Topps, Donruss, and Fleer. And Topps was by far the most commonly available.

There are a few. We call them "flagship" releases just for the lack of a better name.

Currently, Topps, Bowman and Donruss are the ones you can count on for flagship releases. Topps' flagship set comes out as two series, though some also consider Update to be a third series (same design as series 1 and 2, but it has different numbering). Bowman is a single set of... I think it's 220 cards. Lots of rookies. Donruss is a shorter set... I'm doing this from memory (currently on vacation) but I think it's 195 cards in the base set then 50 cards bearing the 1981 Donruss design, all of which are short-prints. Some treat it as an insert set, even though the numbers are a continuation of the regular set.

The next level up are sets that are a bit more unique than flagship sets, but still basic enough to appear at Wal-Mart. In this category, you'll find Topps Heritage (which prints 500 cards using an old design, this year based off of 1966 Topps), Topps Archives (typically about 200 cards using four older designs and another 50 short prints at the end), Bowman/Topps Chrome (both sets released with really reflective foiling and in smaller sets, though Bowman Chrome always seems to be larger than the flagship set), and Bowman Draft Picks and Prospects (if you thought 2015 Bowman had a lot of rookies, this set is ALL rookies).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

My favorite is Topps Heritage Minors. They've been doing it since 2011 and it's cool to see the minor leaguers on those cards. I have a lot of them signed.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Allen and Ginter often appears in WalMart, so does Gypsy Queen. Both are a retro look, on very heavy card stock and look quite nice. Both are small-ish sets, 350 for A&G and 300 for Gypsy Queen, I think. A&G has mini versions of every card while Gypsy Queen has photo variants. Those are just the tips of the parallel icebergs that are present, because within those minis there three to seven different backs that they could have, or sometimes different borders, or printed on wood not paper or... who knows what they will come up with.

I like Allen and Ginter because it features some non-baseball stuff, like Stan Lee and the Revolving Door. They also have some cool insert sets, my favourite was the evolution one for a couple years ago. Put all the cards together to form a picture!

I'd put that picture here, but I can't find it.

A&G does all kinds of kooky stuff. They are the ones that have bits of hair of famous people encased in cards, there are ones you can plant and a card you are apparently supposed to rip apart to get at a maybe better card inside. That said, you're pretty much going to see those things only on ebay, your three hits are probably all jersey cards and I sure hope you enjoy Aaron Hill white jersey swatches.

Gyspy Queen gives you two guaranteed autos in a hobby box, and I think they are on card. I think that's a better average value, but you may not really want to own a Daniel Norris auto.

The closest experience to opening packs as a kid is Topps Opening Day. It's the same look as Series 1/2/Update but cardstock instead of foil at various points of the card and a large and rather ugly Opening Day logo on the cards. It's started to experience the creep of the parallels and chase cards that other sets have too... but mascot autographs are cool I guess.

WillBBC3
Sep 24, 2010

Boinks posted:

I bet you already have them but I have the SP and the chrome refractor if you need them.

I do, thank you for the heads-up though. I just found out there's a blue-back parallel as well. Haven't seen one surface just yet.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Opened two hobby boxes of 2015 Gypsy Queen yesterday, and pulled this bad boy out of the mini pack in second box:

To be honest, I didn't even know who Joc Pederson was until I Googled him. Saw the news reports stating he's a rookie who has hit 5 home runs in the last 7 days for the Dodgers. Needless to say, I was very happy to find that out and checked the card on eBay. Only one there sold Sunday night for just over $200, so that's where this one is headed. It'll pay for both of the boxes I broke and then some, hopefully.

I also pulled a 1/1 printing plate (my first 1/1 ever) of Craig Kimbrel from the first box, along with a David Cone (Yankees) auto, so it was a great break overall.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Anton Chigurh posted:

Opened two hobby boxes of 2015 Gypsy Queen yesterday, and pulled this bad boy out of the mini pack in second box:

To be honest, I didn't even know who Joc Pederson was until I Googled him. Saw the news reports stating he's a rookie who has hit 5 home runs in the last 7 days for the Dodgers. Needless to say, I was very happy to find that out and checked the card on eBay. Only one there sold Sunday night for just over $200, so that's where this one is headed. It'll pay for both of the boxes I broke and then some, hopefully.

I also pulled a 1/1 printing plate (my first 1/1 ever) of Craig Kimbrel from the first box, along with a David Cone (Yankees) auto, so it was a great break overall.

Wow you hit the jackpot. That guy is the new Kris Bryant.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Boinks posted:

Wow you hit the jackpot. That guy is the new Kris Bryant.

Thanks Shawn! I've had great luck with my last few breaks, but they're so few and far between I can't really say it's a streak.

My last break was in April/May of last year, it was case of 2012 Topps Archives -- the set with the Darvish and Harper rookies. I pulled both the Darvish auto and the Harper SSP out of that case, along with the Martin Kove Karate Kid box topper auto (heh) and enough base cards to fill the hot tub in Derek Jeter's penthouse suite.

You want the David Cone auto I pulled yesterday? If so, I'll take a look at your online tradelist and see if there's anything I need. Let's run it through SCF if we make a trade, I haven't made any "official" trades in ages.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Anton Chigurh posted:

Thanks Shawn! I've had great luck with my last few breaks, but they're so few and far between I can't really say it's a streak.

My last break was in April/May of last year, it was case of 2012 Topps Archives -- the set with the Darvish and Harper rookies. I pulled both the Darvish auto and the Harper SSP out of that case, along with the Martin Kove Karate Kid box topper auto (heh) and enough base cards to fill the hot tub in Derek Jeter's penthouse suite.

You want the David Cone auto I pulled yesterday? If so, I'll take a look at your online tradelist and see if there's anything I need. Let's run it through SCF if we make a trade, I haven't made any "official" trades in ages.

Is the Cone auto in a Yankees uniform? :)

I think my site is pretty up to date. I haven't had any time at all to mess with cards since my daughter was born in August (or anything else really haha).

http://boinkscards.blogspot.com/2010/11/photobucket-links.html

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Here's the last box I opened:

It was fun to open but I have no idea if I got anything good.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Boinks posted:

Is the Cone auto in a Yankees uniform? :)

I think my site is pretty up to date. I haven't had any time at all to mess with cards since my daughter was born in August (or anything else really haha).

http://boinkscards.blogspot.com/2010/11/photobucket-links.html

Yep, Cone is a Yankee in the pic. Cranking up to throw what looks like a 97 mph heater, low and inside. Here's the scan:

Congrats on your daughter! I missed that announcement somehow if you posted about it. I've been off the trading sites for awhile, just now getting back into it again...

Anton Chigurh fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 5, 2015

I Am Frick
Mar 26, 2004

The lesser half
of Frick and Frack
This is kind of long, so here's the TLDR - I'm making hundreds of images of baseball teams and their cards throughout the years, by year, by manufacturer. I've uploaded five early samples and want your feedback on them. Links below.

I'm an avid baseball card collector since the late 80s who, over the years, started focusing my attention more on collecting digital images of the cards rather than busting boxes and things of that nature. There are pros and cons to this - less money spent, but then again I'm not actually collecting anything physical - but recently I started doing something else with my massive image collection that I think you all would take interest in.

I created a digital card encyclopedia to house and organize the image collection. Today it contains 23 gigs worth of card images - that boils down to 149,878 cards, front and back in high resolution, spread out over 410 sets ranging from the early 1900s to this year (I've already got 2015 Topps, Heritage and Donruss). That doesn't include another six gigs in images - 25,430 cards over the span of about 300 sets - that I have images for but haven't actually added to the project yet.

Recently, I snagged the domain BaseballCardArchive.com at about the same time that I started collaborating with one of the major card viewing sites on the web and, as part of my project, wrote some code to automatically generate desktop images for these sets.

My plan is to have every team broken out in every major set flagship release, including Topps (1952 to today), Heritage, Bowman, Archives, and the main releases for the other older manufacturers, including Upper Deck, Score, Donruss and Fleer.

Before I start mass-producing these images though, I'm still tweaking the layouts and figured I'd show what I have done to you guys to get a feel for how you'd like them to change. Obviously, I'll be making these for cyberbrowsin' folk, and it would be silly to not get your input before putting the time into mass-producing these.

BOSTON RED SOX: 1993 Stadium Club
LOS ANGELES ANGELS: 1991 Score
NEW YORK YANKEES: 1952 Topps
OAKLAND ATHLETICS: 2015 Topps Heritage
SEATTLE MARINERS: 1989 Donruss

So if you could, please let me know what you think of these!

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

I Am Frick posted:

So if you could, please let me know what you think of these!

That is an impressive task you have undertaken.

Will you also be providing the cards in the individual series in sequential order 1-###? That's how I've always organized my cards.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Anton Chigurh posted:

Yep, Cone is a Yankee in the pic. Cranking up to throw what looks like a 97 mph heater, low and inside. Here's the scan:

Congrats on your daughter! I missed that announcement somehow if you posted about it. I've been off the trading sites for awhile, just now getting back into it again...

I am interested in the Cone, let me know what you want for it! Feel free to send me a PM on SCF. :)

I Am Frick
Mar 26, 2004

The lesser half
of Frick and Frack

Antifreeze Head posted:

That is an impressive task you have undertaken.

Will you also be providing the cards in the individual series in sequential order 1-###? That's how I've always organized my cards.

I was thinking about it and certainly could, but it'd be easier if you just head over to the Card Cyber Museum since they have that functionality built in already, and the hosting to match it.

But on that note, would you actually want desktop images of the sets in sequential order?

On that note though, here's what my card project actually looks like...

Set encyclopedia, and clicking any image shows it in full resolution to the right. Clicking the card face on the right flips it over.

It includes a pack opener so you can pretend-collect the sets.

Here's that pretend collection.

Automatic lists of subsets in each set...

Easy access to flagship releases of card sets (this is how you access the encyclopedia, pack opener, and subset lists)

Clicking a player name shows you all of their cards in the project...

... Here's Derek Jeter. As you can probably tell, I haven't added most of Donruss yet.

And clicking the team name on the right side shows you the entire team from that set in the center pane.

I Am Frick fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 8, 2015

I Am Frick
Mar 26, 2004

The lesser half
of Frick and Frack
So I tinkered with things and added colored backgrounds and stuff, and I just ran all of 2015 Topps series 1 and uploaded them to my webspace. Anything else you guys think needs changing beyond what you see here?

AMERICAN LEAGUE EAST

AMERICAN LEAGUE CENTRAL

AMERICAN LEAGUE WEST

NATIONAL LEAGUE EAST

NATIONAL LEAGUE CENTRAL

NATIONAL LEAGUE WEST

Note - There isn't anything I can really do about the horizontally laid-out cards beyond hate them. Unless anybody has any bright ideas...

I Am Frick fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 9, 2015

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I Am Frick posted:

Note - There isn't anything I can really do about the horizontally laid-out cards beyond hate them. Unless anybody has any bright ideas...

An inelegant solution would be to expand the image size so that instead of the standard aspect ratio in portrait format, it would be a square. That way, you could center the image in portrait or landscape format depending on the orientation of the card, and the cards would still line up in neat rows and columns. Of course, if you're using JPEGs, this means you'll have letterboxes and pillarboxes. If you can handle the additional storage of PNGs, you can just set the mattes as the alpha, and you need only set the alpha for those sections of the card images (meaning you don't have to worry about random parts of the card being transparent). This would be a laborious process, though.

Conversely, if you're arranging things in tables, you can set up the tables so that they can handle either orientation equally well--you know, make each cell into a square. Then just make sure your images are oriented naturally, and there you go.

I Am Frick
Mar 26, 2004

The lesser half
of Frick and Frack

tarlibone posted:

An inelegant solution would be to expand the image size so that instead of the standard aspect ratio in portrait format, it would be a square. That way, you could center the image in portrait or landscape format depending on the orientation of the card, and the cards would still line up in neat rows and columns. Of course, if you're using JPEGs, this means you'll have letterboxes and pillarboxes. If you can handle the additional storage of PNGs, you can just set the mattes as the alpha, and you need only set the alpha for those sections of the card images (meaning you don't have to worry about random parts of the card being transparent). This would be a laborious process, though.

Conversely, if you're arranging things in tables, you can set up the tables so that they can handle either orientation equally well--you know, make each cell into a square. Then just make sure your images are oriented naturally, and there you go.

Huh... why didn't I think of that? That's actually a really clever way of doing it.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

I Am Frick posted:

I was thinking about it and certainly could, but it'd be easier if you just head over to the Card Cyber Museum since they have that functionality built in already, and the hosting to match it.

But on that note, would you actually want desktop images of the sets in sequential order?

I wouldn't necessarily want Topps 1989 Series 1 Cards 82-90 displayed for ever and always, but if I could get all the sequential pages and have the active desktop background rotator going, I'd think that would be pretty neat.

I like the different colours for various teams. Gradients might make it look a little more modern, or you could go with a backdrop of a slightly blurred photo of the team's home park from that year. That's a tremendous amount more of work (the photos anyway, gradients probably less).

And not gonna lie, I'm probably going to abuse that Pack Opener feature....

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

What's the lowest I should go on a set of 2001 Stadium Club Super Teams Exchange? I sent in the Mariners redemption card back in 2001 and got two of these sets and an autographed 11x14 of Nick Johnson. I was thinking of selling one of the sets and using the money to get a Jeter autograph.

I believe the redemption cards were 1:874 packs and you had to get one of the final 6 teams to win something so 1:4370 packs. I have no idea why Topps sent me a 2nd set but I never complained.

I put one set up on Ebay last night and already received a $240 offer....but I bet there's less than 25 of these things and I don't want to get low balled. The only prices I can find are commons selling for around $10-15 each.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-Stadium-Club-Super-Teams-Exchange-Set-1-30-RARE-Jeter-Griffey-Jr-SCAN-/191587624065

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Nevermind, I took an offer of $285. Should be able to get something decent.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

WillBBC3 posted:

I like these a lot! I can't say no when I'm at Target. Are they doing magnet chips again this year?

Since you don't have PM - are you interested in trading for chipz of players I don't care about (Miguel Cabrera, Carlos Gomez, and others)?

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Bought a pack of Topps series one for the hell of it and pulled a card. "Cruz, Carter & Trout, American League Home Run Leaders."

On the back it recognizes that Trout and Jose Abreu were actually tied at 36 for third. But Abreu doesn't get his picture on the front, he doesn't even get his name on the front. gently caress you, Topps.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Xenophon posted:

Bought a pack of Topps series one for the hell of it and pulled a card. "Cruz, Carter & Trout, American League Home Run Leaders."

On the back it recognizes that Trout and Jose Abreu were actually tied at 36 for third. But Abreu doesn't get his picture on the front, he doesn't even get his name on the front. gently caress you, Topps.

I think they've done this before and series 2 will have the same card but with Abreu instead of Trout.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

My hits from an Archives blaster. Everything is already up on Ebay, hoping to make my money back. 2003 RoY, too bad it's not worth 2003 prices.

Base autographs are 1:86 packs or 1:11 blasters. That's $220 per hit. :wtc: I remember in 2003 when Archives had autographs 1:12 packs retail, and with a bunch of HoF players too.

I also want to complain a little about how lazy this product is. Without the auto I'd have 3 inserts out of 8 packs..what is this, Panini? If it's supposed to be a 'collect the set' type of thing why are 30 of the cards short printed 1:45 fuckin' packs? People are going to buy it anyway to try for the 1:25000 Will Farrell auto.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

look at this shiz

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Quantrill posted:

look at this shiz

My childhood :3:

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
God I stole so many Fleer Ultra and leaf '93 packs in my childhood I still feel guilty about it to this day.

Fleer Ultra was 92 though, loving loved that set

Post your hits!

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Quantrill posted:

look at this shiz

Total value of cards in those packs: 12 cents.

Although the nostalgic value is much, much higher.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

maniacripper posted:

God I stole so many Fleer Ultra and leaf '93 packs in my childhood I still feel guilty about it to this day.

Post your hits!

Only thing I ever shop lifted in my life was a pack of 1990 Upper Deck. I remember I got Kirby Puckett.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Boinks posted:

Only thing I ever shop lifted in my life was a pack of 1990 Upper Deck. I remember I got Kirby Puckett.

I was such a strange dumbass kid. The only time the cops ever called my house looking for me was when a friend and I drew dicks and swear words all over a load of cards, re-sealed them up into a wax pack and then put it into a wax box at a local card store that we didn't like. The anti theft.

Owner of the shop was so pissed off when a kid opened the pack in the store with his mother by his side that he checked his cameras to see who had done it. Knew us immediately and had our names from previously selling cards to him.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

maniacripper posted:

Post your hits!

Leaf 1993 was one of the best designs, though I didn't have many cards from that set.

What I do have are a ton of 1989 Donruss and 1991 Fleer, two of the ugliest sets made. There was a Griffey rookie in the former, though, and if you got a box of Donruss and found that in the first few packs, you knew you'd have a lot of them as Donruss tended to follow the same patterns. At least they did through 1991.

The packs cover some real changes. Donruss, Topps and Fleer all had snazzier side sets issued for the first time in 1991 (Studio, Ultra and Stadium Club*) before jazzing up their regular sets in 1992.

* Not including Desert Shield, which is seemingly the only set from that era still worth anything.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

maniacripper posted:

Post your hits!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

RIP Expos.

• Locked thread