Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Thanks for everyone's insight so far in this thread.

I got started largely around 84 and was done by 93. I have "Card Sharks" about the rise of competition to Topps, namely UD. I haven't been around any of it since then, mainly shaking my fist at these kids in the long term. Can anyone suggest any books (E* or otherwise) about how the market has taken a poo poo?

theacox fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

streetlamp posted:

This thread has driven me to bid on random low priced prospect hobby boxes on ebay and some single weird cards of giants affiliated players. Wanted a nice Brandon Belt card and he has some crazy prices on a few cards.

You seem easily influenced.

Also, Craig Counsell bobblehead day just happened at Miller Park, but I haven't seen any variations. Is there one?

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
As someone who basically quit collecting about 15 years ago and doesn't know much of the story about what happened with Upper Deck other than what little I see here, I'd like to know more. Anyone have any links to a semi-concise and somewhat-truthful version of the story?

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Anyone know when the Topps Golden Giveaway site is set to open?

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
I've been out of this for a long time. What's the general opinion on the Ebay box break team thing?

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

AsInHowe posted:

We're doing some hockey box breaks in the hockey thread!

If you wanted, I could get one going here too.

I like me some hockey, at least peripherally. But I'm really retarded for baseball. If anyone wants to do a goon baseball box break, I'd be interested.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

purkey posted:

I'm up for this type of draft, but not really down for selling a possible big hit since that kind of the fun of doing this kind of thing!

Same here. I'm pretty new to box breaks, so I'll probably have a bunch of questions.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

AsInHowe posted:

What are your questions?

How exactly does the draft system work? What do we do with multi-player cards? Also, what do we do with redemptions? Will we do a live break?

e: Are trades allowed?

theacox fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Mar 5, 2012

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
I think that pretty much covers everything I had questions about.

I realize it can vary greatly depending on product, but what kind of per team price can I expect? What I mean is $20 or $200?

e: I'd also be happy with the first and last in your options.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Count me in for pretty much anything.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Maybe it would be easier if you gave us some choices, Howe.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Antifreeze Head posted:

So how about prices for
2012 Series 1 HTA
2011 Gypsy Queen
2010 Heritage
2009 Turkey Red
2008 UD Masterpieces
2007 UD Masterpieces

EDIT: Looks like the new Heritage is out next week. That's probably the best bet if people are willing to wait, though it has only one relic or auto per box. But you might get a chunk of Shea Stadium, so that's pretty neat.

I'd do any of these.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

camoseven posted:

I'm down for the 2012 Series 1
That av is quite a thing

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
I'm in.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
I was in the local Shopko tonight. While waiting for someone else, I perused the card section and pick up 4 packs of 2011 Bowman plat. When I got home, I saw a redemption for this...

(Sorry I don't have a scan of the actual redemp.)
:byodood: Does it normally take 3 GD months for them to ship something like this?

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
e: Nevermind. I decided to do something different.

I'm still in on the Heritage break.

theacox fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Mar 9, 2012

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Looks like we got at least 10 huh?

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Me!Me!Me!

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

AsInHowe posted:

$8.50 per box

15 slots (or ten slots)

Two teams assigned when it's full

Team trading is allowable

And let's get it going.

Random? or draft? I'm in for 2-3 of either one.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

AsInHowe posted:

- Total break

- $25.50 per person

- International rates will be calculated tomorrow

- Teams will be randomized once everyone pays and all

Paypal gifts to gordie dot fall at gmail dot com

Sent!

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

AsInHowe posted:

Does anyone have any favorite teams among the guys that already sent?

Please, no Yankees/Red Sox/Cubs/Giants/Dodgers.

Brewers

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
I'd be willing to listen to offers for the A's, if anyone is interested. I think I'd like to keep the Giants, but if you really have a hankerin' for some Timmy we could probably work something out.

fake e: A 3D Dinger machine card would own.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

streetlamp posted:

I'll offer Minnesotta for the A's

And I would give up any of my teams for Giants (Minn, Tampa, Toronto)

I'll definitely take Minny for the A's. Can we call that one a done deal?

Let me see if I have any other offers for the Giants.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

streetlamp posted:

Done deal

You heard the man, AsInHowe. A's to streetlamp. Twins to me.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

camoseven posted:

Do you have interest in the Dodgers? If streetlamp gave me the Rays, I'd give you the Dodgers, and he could get the Giants.

This is a do-able deal for me. What do you think streetlamp?

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

streetlamp posted:

book it

This makes it Giants to streetlamp, Rays to camoseven, Dodgers to me.

I'm done trading unless someone overwhelms me.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
You gonna do a final rundown of who has who before the break?

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

AsInHowe posted:

If you have never sent your address for a box break, please send it to my email.

I will ship out once I have your address and final contents.

I assumed it was the same email as your paypal. Sent!

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
I'd like to keep mine. Sorry Antifreeze Head.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Just got my cards from the Heritage break. What happened to the rest of the videos?

Also got my Bowman Platinum Harper auto redeemed about 3 months faster than expected.:allears:

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
I just got back into this at the end of February after 15+ years away and I don't really open a ton of cards compared to some people.

I'm gonna consider this a pretty darn good month for me:

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

camoseven posted:

drat dude! How much product have you opened? I was stoked to get the Longo bat card from the Heritage break. Your stuff has me beat by a mile haha.

The Topps pulls came from 3 hobby boxes I bought. I was pissed on the first one because you're supposed to get an auto or relic in each box. I went back through and realized I got the squirrel. Evidently, it counts as a relic. :banjo:

My second box had a Kevin Youkilis patch card, which I thought was kinda weak, but whatever.

The third box I really regretted buying. I got it for under $50 off ebay and wasn't really expecting much. I nearly crapped myself when I saw how much the Pujols redemption was going for.

The Harper redemption I got when I bought 3 or 4 random packs on a whim at the local retail store. That was cool. I thought there was no way a redemption like that was in a retail pack.

I really haven't opened much else. No other full boxes. I've been a part of some small breaks, but never really got anything that wowed me.

Spork Heidelberg posted:

Nice pulls. You gonna keep that Rally Squirrel card or sell it? The ebay price has been dropping on it steadily since release, but it still gets $50-$70 or so.

Then if you want it for your collection, just buy it back in a month or two for $15. :v:

Just sold today for $53.50, so it basically paid for the box. Thought I'd take a pic of all to prove that I had them before they were sold.

Happy opening everyone!

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
The only way that headshot could have been better is if he put "Chicks Dig the Long Ball" on it.

fake e: So your stepdad is somehow responsible for his motorcycle accident...:v:

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
For all the Tribute breaks I've been a part of in the last month, I was always unhappy with the results, especially because I almost always only have the Brewers or the NL Central.

I finally hit my first 1/1, and it's an auto printing plate (go to 1:30).

I just hope this isn't a joke, considering the date.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
I can't help but think that my luck is bound to change.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

DrGonzo90 posted:

How does a Tribute break work? You aren't really guaranteed to pull any cards from the team you selected, from what I understand (though I know very little about the high-end sets). Do people sometimes pay money and get no cards?

Well, technically *maybe*. It all depends on who is doing the break and the way they set it up. I'm not sure of the exact rules that ebay has for this, but I know that the auction must be for something, not just a lottery chance.

I've seen this run a couple ways. Most common is that they say that you will absolutely receive a card from the team/division in the auction (normally a common/base card) plus any cards pulled from that team/division that come out of the break. Others promise you a link to the break or copy of the break in your choice of format (I have never received a copy of anything on these auctions,other than a link and the corresponding cards broken. This is probably working on the fuzzy edge of ebay rules).

The break itself can be for a hobby box or, depending on how expensive a product is, a single pack. Obviously, you have better chances of hitting with a box than a pack, but the price can go way up. A Tribute box right now goes for $300 or more on ebay, a pack for $50+ roughly.

I started bidding on some break auctions, but realized that I have the disposable income to front the money and do the breaks myself, only keeping what I want and auctioning the rest. With that being said, live breaks are becoming more common and seem to be the best way to prevent fraud. All my breaks are live on ustream.

Tribute is still showing some good movement on breaks from what I can tell. I'm pretty happy about this, as I think it is an awesome product. Museum just came out though, so there is competition.

I'm not gonna hawk my wares here, as it would probably get me probation for not being in SA-Mart (among other things). If you have any further questions for me specifically about product, contact me at theacox at yahoo. Otherwise, if you have more general box break questions, ask in this thread. I'm no expert, but I like to think that we're all here to help.

e: Thought maybe I should note that I am not a dealer or shop owner, just a nerd who loves baseball.

theacox fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 9, 2012

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

DaFuente posted:

Yeah...it's a really weird insert. I put it up on eBay at $300 OBO. I'm hoping to get somewhere around $150-$200.

I don't think there's anything in there to fool metal detectors, which seems ridiculous. I put the card back into the wrapper and shook it around- there's a REALLY obvious rattling sound. Like...if you were at a shop you could grab a stack of packs and shake them and know whether or not there's a coin in one of them.

I hadn't realized there was this cross-pollination from cards to coins. Is this natural, or just a reach?

Also, I don't want to brag but...

theacox fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 20, 2012

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Opened a box of Gypsy Queen this morning and got this:

:smug:

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
I don't get non-sports cards. Then again, I don't get anything other than baseball and a few football cards. Breaking any box without sports in it really just leaves me :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

jeffersonlives posted:

For me it's just the price point. Like, for $1400 you can buy a presentable 1951 Bowman Mantle or a nice T206 Cobb or a couple of strong presidential autographs, without having to play the odds hoping you somehow get a hit that gets your money back.

Well, I've paid less than that for a vehicle. I guess if the box came with a chance to get something easily re-sellable, I could justify it a little more. I just don't see the market.

• Locked thread