Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Looking to buy a box of UD for my friend for his birthday. I'd rather buy a wax box with packs but the listing for a complete set is _way_ cheaper than the wax box. Both are unopened. What gives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

In a wax box you're basically paying extra for the chance to pull inserts (like numbered cards, autographs, game used stuff, etc.). The problem is that the prices are so inflated, and you can get some of the higher-end pulls for like half the cost of the box.
Thanks. I'm essentially buying it for the opening packs factor. Anything from 1991 is not going to be worth that much anyways, just wondering why the factory set was something like half the cost of the wax pack. I don't even remember anything in 91 that was _that_ crazy in terms of inserts/pulls.

Also do you know what is the difference between a Final Edition Factory Set and a Complete Factory Set? The final edition is cheaper and is in the shape of a wax pack box and not a normal complete set box.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

I've honestly never heard of that before. My guess is that the packaging is different, or they were sold in different places? What set is this?

'91 Upper Deck

Edit: Did some researching, looks like the "final" means its about 100 cards with all the called up rookies/traded players.

quote:

1991 Upper Deck baseball final edition card set. 100 card set features rookie cards of Jim Thome, Ivan Rodriguez, Pedro Martinez and Kenny Lofton. 1991 All-Stars, late season trades and rookie call-ups as well as the best Minor league Diamond skills players are included. Great addition to your regular 1991 Upper Deck set

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

So I'm just checking out whats good in a '91 UD basic set and apparently its the Chipper Jones/Mike Mussina rookies and the Michael Jordan card. Apparently some people got it graded by PSA to increase the Jones card from 0.84c to asking price of anywhere from $30-$40. Kinda :lol: http://www.checkoutmycards.com/Cards/Baseball/1991/Upper_Deck/55/Chipper_Jones_RC_PSA_GRADED_10

Edit: Apparently Ivan Rodriguez/Jim Thome/Eric Karros and Pedro Martinez rookies as well.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

So I got a box of cheapos (Opening Day) and not-so-cheapos (Gypsy Queen), which one should I open first?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Well no autographs from Opening Day. Too many Yankees as well :(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Cause its stress free pack opening and its cheap? I also liked collecting the Stadium Lights series and I thought those were pretty cool. I had way more fun opening those then sweating out what turned out to be a lovely box of Gypsy Queen.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

EllisD posted:

I used to have tons of Topps from the 80s. Probably still do but they're buried in storage at my parents' house. I do have a 1987 Topps Barry Bonds that I would love to get signed, but I heard Bonds is completely unapproachable when it comes to signatures. Corners are perfect and everything, It's been air-tight preserved since I opened it 20 years ago. I like to think if I got it PSA graded it would fetch a 9 but it's not worth nearly enough to go through all that trouble.

It will likely remain a $5 card for the next few decades. :smith:

http://cgi.ebay.com/21-card-lot-1987-Topps-320-Barry-Bonds-Rookies-/150597383359?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item23104db4bf#ht_500wt_1156

Its really sad how overproduced these cards were. I wonder what would have happened had the '94 strike not occurred and made everyone realize what was going on.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Jono C posted:

http://www.checkoutmycards.com/Cards/Baseball/1987/Topps/320/Barry_Bonds_RC

Overproduced is one way of describing it.

That's only like 120 something. I don't really think that shows the complete gluttony of 1980s/1990s baseball cards.

Thinking about buying some Basketball, Really like the Panini Classic design. Anyone else buy any?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

As someone who bought a box of GQ Hobby, I'm not sure what this set offers. I was initially excited about it but now I'm not sure if I'm going to bother to complete it. At least Allen & Ginter's non-baseball cards were of famous people. Not sure why people should care about collecting Gypsys.

Also disappointed in the fact that Topps dropped the ball and left out an autograph from the retail box. Both because it reduces getting an autograph if you're opening random packs and because I know when I mail in to get my autograph they're just going to find some random low draw autograph.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Gibson signs a ton of stuff too. He was just at the LA Card Show signing balls for $69.

Edit: Anyone surprised to konw that Bob Feller is still alive?
Edit 2: You could probably sell things for more money if the autographs were on separate balls and at least had a picture of the player signing it. I don't see the connection between the 3 other than they all pitched no-hitters?

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 10, 2011

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

jeffersonlives posted:

He isn't :smith:

FFFFFFFFF dammit I was looking through Wikipedia and saw his age which I distinctively assumed was next to his "Born" date.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Do they make penny sleeve / toploaders for minis? Trying to find one that holds the Gypsy Queen mini parallels. Size seems to be ~2.625x1.25 which is slightly bigger than the tobacco card holders.

Edit: Also any difference between BCW and Ultra Pro?

Edit 2: Maybe tobacco sleeves can hold these cards... not sure exactly.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 06:00 on May 15, 2011

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Yeah definitely is tobacco sized, or at least will fit it. Had to download a ruler and compare it on my monitor.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

This guy is still in A-ball and the guy who pulled his red 1/1 wants $25k for it?? I mean even if he produces and gets to the majors next year, is it still going to be worth that much?

This is just one thing I don't get about "The Hobby" but whatever floats your boat I guess. I'm glad I haven't broken any Bowman and not really planning on it.

Also, I'm collecting some Gypsy Queen minis so let me know if you guys have some you want to dump. Looking to buy in larger quantities so I don't have to waste so much money on shipping.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Not sure if I'd want to pay that much for only about 10-13 cards Jono C. I'm still trying to bid on eBay to get a large majority of the cards. Once I start narrowing down individual cards I'll see if you still have what I want/need. You do have a couple of SP runs that may be harder to find.

Also, whether you're a fan of Olbermann or not, I thought this was pretty funny..

http://www.mobypicture.com/user/KeithOlbermann/view/9606964

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

It's about 2 flower cards per case. Also all the Tampa Bay relics are from their plaid uniforms they wore last year. Also pulled a Wee Man relic.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

DaFuente posted:

Absolutely getting it slabbed. From what I can tell, that's one of the biggest advantages of getting the actual card. A lot of these things will hit ebay in November, but most folks will be putting them up immediately and be hoping for a quick return. A graded card is going to be more legit to buyers.

Speaking of which, does anyone know anything about the different grading services? Where should I send it?
You will probably want to send it into BGS for Bowman Chrome cards.

However, I pulled a Bryce Harper Bowman's Best from Bowman 2011, I was going to get it slabbed by Beckett except I noticed that they don't use SSL on their page when you type in your credit card. Yeah no thanks.

Probably just going to sell it "raw" on eBay later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

What should I do with all these holograms?????!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread