Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrBagpipes
Nov 21, 2003
I AM A STUPID SHITHEEL
Is there a difference in signability between the $3 Rawlings balls and the $19 ones? If I mailed one off, would it be less likely to get signed than the official MLB one?

I had a signed rookie card for Luis Gonzalez. He drove in the winning run for the Diamondbacks in game 7 of the 2001 World Series. I heard about his used chewing gum going for insane prices afterwards, so I'm sure the card could've gotten some money, but it had personal value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBagpipes
Nov 21, 2003
I AM A STUPID SHITHEEL

jeffersonlives posted:

The quality of the leather is hugely different. The official ROMLBs sign much nicer and last much longer. You can get a case of 12 for in the $140-150 range online. Target usually has them cheapest of the brick and mortar stores, $15 or so.

I'd only send balls to guys who are known to sign larger objects through the mail since between the cost of the ball and the cost to mail it twice it's not an entirely insignificant expense. Never hurts to send an initial letter asking if you can send a ball.

Yeah, after reading some more the durability of the official balls is cited as the best thing. Apparently signatures fade on the cheaper ones.

The SCF address database thing you posted does mention a few guys signing baseballs with no problem, so I'd feel confident in sending one to, say, Mariano Rivera based on it. Not a bad idea to send letters ahead of time to other guys, though.

Of course, since I live in Florida I should maybe just get off my rear end and go to a game.

DrBagpipes
Nov 21, 2003
I AM A STUPID SHITHEEL

zakharov posted:

Already taken care of thanks to the magic of Twitter, it was AJ Burnett. Apparently he isn't very memorable.

The event I was at was a YES Network event, if that helps.

AJ Burnett is memorable for being terrible.

But that's an awesome bat.

• Locked thread