Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ

Ghumbs posted:

My wife surprised me with a few retail packs of 2011 Allen & Ginter the other day and I may have been sucked back into cards since I quit a few years back. Anyways, I'd be interested in any minis you might have to trade from either 2011 or 2008 A&G.

camoseven posted:

I, too, collected in 08 and am just now getting back into it. I'm trying to finish off the 08 A&G base + sp set and the World Leaders minis set. I can PM you a list of what I've got and what I need when I get home today.

I'm also working on updating my bucket, and I should have all my GU, autos, inserts etc scanned soon. It'd be cool to get some trades done on here.

E: just saw your break on SCF, nice pull on the Pedroia Bazooka back!

I cracked three boxes of 2008 A&G back in the day and if either of you want, you can PM me with a want list to finish your sets. I have about half of the World Leaders mini set somewhere. I don't have much energy to commit to this hobby but I still enjoy seeing new products and box breaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ
This is probably the best thread to ask. I'm headed to Anaheim in two weeks and while I don't personally care for the Angels or the Twins, I wouldn't mind checking out the stadium. More importantly, I'd like to try and get Vernon Wells (or other players, I'm a Jays fan so it'd be nice to get up close to a former player) to sign something. What are some tips to getting in-person autographs?

I'd likely hit the Sunday afternoon game. To the guy who PM'd me about A&G, I'll get back to you with what I have in that long list you give me Monday night.

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ

jeffersonlives posted:

Be very very very careful with the Roses. That's probably the most counterfeited card of all-time.

Not baseball, but Michael Jordan's RC and the 86-87 Fleer set is probably up there as far as counterfeits go.

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ
That site is getting crushed right now.

Not sports related, but I caught this in my recommended videos section. I wish he recorded the opening of his 2012 Leaf Oval Office case (break at 2:50, the first part is a summary of other breaks): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu4ky-pqJys

How do you react to pulling a signature like that?

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ

Spork Heidelberg posted:

I looked up the cost of one of those boxes on dacardworld, they're $1,400. :v:

Yeah I figure the price point would be enough to generate the hype, especially with 276 cases in the entire set. Some people are just loaded with disposable income.

There was another set of dead politicians to only 99 or 100 cases a few years back made with similar price points - a couple of guys in the Philippines owned 14 out of a possible 100 cases, as well as frequently busting cases upon cases of exquisite basketball a time. It was later discovered they embezzled a few million dollars from his investors to buy the cards. link

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ
Allen & Ginter's chase cards included things like a strand of Lincoln's hair, Reagan's hair, and I believe wooly mammoth. There are also the fun chances of pulling rip cards and silk cards. For a fairly affordable box, the thrill of pulling one of these cards kept me interested and updated to the news.

Then I saw a thread on scf about a guy who opened 20 cases of A&G and I went :stare:

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ
Will a silver sharpie last a while on a black new era hat? I bought the black 2011 Jays hat so that Jose Bautista can sign it on Sunday. It was only $20, so I figured why not.

I'm expecting a horrendously long wait time for the signing to happen.

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ
Thanks. Bautista, Brett Cecil and Loup are coming to my town for a free signing. I might get Bautista to sign the hat I just bought and Cecil and Loup will sign a Jays hat I've previously worn :v:

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ
Blue Jays winter tour trip report.

I showed up at the mall after 9 with a small lineup at the doors. Good thing is was only -10C because I didn't dress up for anything colder. I chatted up the line to pass time with a family of 3 and two others who showed up alone. Security opened up the doors at 10:30 and everything was pretty civil about maintaining the order of the line. Bautista, Cecil and Loup were signing from 11:30-1.

There was already a group lined up in the centre court. Apparently there were three line-ups around the mall and let them in one by one. We were second. The line-up went halfway down the mall.

Lots of security and Jays staff were onhand to make sure no one jumped or cut the line. I really applauded their efforts because a lot of people were trying to do that. It took another 15 minutes before I had my turn and briefly chatted with the three Jays about the upcoming season.

I bought a silver sharpie just in case. Turns out they already had them available. I guess I was the first one who had something black signed, because they were all capped. I only mention it because Bautista tested out the marker on the table before he signed my cap. Really adds a personal touch because so many athletes just rush their signature for fans these days.

Afterwards we were given Jays toques and a Jays beat writer interviewed me and the family I hung out with. I imagine I'll have a stupid quote about Jays baseball in a future article. Great time overall, would do it again.

pics

His auto is so clean.

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ
They were open to signing anything as long as it was one per person. People brought bats, cards, baseballs, jerseys, and they even supplied cards for people in line who had nothing to sign. They also signed babies' t-shirts when they were wearing it :3:

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ
There might be a few basketball RC's of guys who have recently been inducted in the hall of fame. The only problem with the Fleer Jordan RC is it's one of the most counterfeited cards in basketball card history. If you have sealed boxes of 86-87 fleer basketball, you have a goldmine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ
There's an insane former NBA-er Larry Johnson collector who managed to get a sealed champagne bottle from his wedding. I don't know what he did or paid to get something like that.

• Locked thread