Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
My brother has a signed 8 by 10 headshot of Ron Gant that we can't remember where it came from. I have an autographed Lou Brock ball and a bunch of Mark McGwire 1998 memorabilia that I'm sure has declined in value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Just a random thought I had, is there a de facto most valuable 90s card? If so, is it worth over 10 bucks?

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

AsInHowe posted:

Upper Deck got into a major lawsuit/scandal for counterfeiting Yugioh cards, and lost their MLB, NFL, and NBA licenses.

This is hilarious to me.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

I was a store in a mall the other day that sold a bunch of stuff like movies, video games, comics, and cards. In their card case, there was a Willie Mays card for only 15 bucks. At first glance, it looked too old to be a reprint, but it was still in a decent condition. So are there actually older Mays cards that are worth that little, or does the person who runs this shop know more about the other areas of the store and knows nothing card pricing? (I'm 99% sure it's the former but I can dream)

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

It was definitely a SF hat he was wearing instead of NY, so looks like it was market value. Is there a particular manufacturer from the 60s I should look out for as higher value?

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Please post a picture of that D-Train hat

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

I would totally wear Expos pants around the house

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

That was me, and that was well worth the wait

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Sotar posted:

From my few boxes of 2012 Bowman Platinum I did pull one of the sickest patch cards I think you will ever see.

http://imgur.com/9tTn2

Dude how did you get a Roy Halladay Phillies card 6 years ago?! (seriously that's cool as hell)

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

I would be interested in doing a Topps 2013 break

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Have the Allen and Ginter cloth minis been worth anything in years past? I hit on a Jeter #/10

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

That's really cool. I'm totally selling this because A) I could care less about owning Jeter stuff and B) I really don't see the appeal of a card thats made out of a fabric that isn't game used or anything like that.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Well, yeah, I understand the value is in so few made. It just holds much value more to me personally unless it's something like a special inscription on an autograph (Millville Meteor card) or a really awesome jersey patch.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

theacox posted:

If you haven't, check out haulsofshame.com. If you believed authenticators were on the level, you won't if you believe half of that site.

The best part about Hauls of Shame is that in a former life he was Prime Minister Pete Nice from 3rd Bass.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Boggs is maybe the best guy out there at signing through mail

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Boinks posted:

Nice hits. The bad thing about prospect products is you usually have to wait 5 years to see if you got anything good!

If he wanted to flip them, Wacha is probably at his peak value right now.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

As someone first getting into the hobby, I recommend Allen and Ginter. It is more of a binder full of cards, but it's a set that looks great and has fantastic autographs and relics, some coming from outside of baseball. This year's set isn't out yet, but for example, last year had autographs from Henry Rollins, Pele, Nick Saban, and a whole lot of other non-baseball people. Last year's relics include a loving DNA sample from JFK, a patch from the grassy knoll, and patches of clothing from random celebrities

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

If you're just looking for some dumb fun, then I'll 2nd a recommendation for Allen & Ginter.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Between the kind of seasons they're having and the fact that Appel's isn't numbered, I would guess Abreu's costs more.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

1959 Topps is a really nice looking set and is pretty cheap all things considered. The most expensive card is the Bob Gibson rookie and it goes in the $150 range iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

I wasn't counting the Mantle since he had one but I guess that came out wrong. I wanna say you can get a poorer condition unslabbed Mantle for 600ish

• Locked thread