Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!
Due mostly to boredom (and dirt cheap prices) I've recently started buying rookie cards of all my all-time favorite players off eBay. I'm not very concerned with quality, I just think it's cool to own the cards that my 12 year old self would have loved to own. Just bought Ripken, Dawson, Yount, Raines, Hernandez, Carter, Mattingly, Strawberry, Gooden & Molitor rookie cards for under $100. Still can't believe how the value of these things have dropped. I remember saving up to buy an Eddie Murray rookie card back in 1988 for $25 and imagining I'd be able to sell it for hundreds of dollars when I was older.

Also, the holy grail of baseball card collecting for me is still to own the complete set of 1956 Topps. What a gorgeous set. Saw a near mint set on eBay going for 5 grand. Someday...it shall be mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!
I won a severely miscut Mike Schmidt rookie card off eBay, so my "Hall Of Fame Players I Like" rookie card collection is progressing nicely. I'm trying to find a Pete Rose rookie that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!
There are not enough photos of baseball cards in this thread. Show us your prized possessions and/or favorite cards.

Here's that miscut Schmidt rookie I just got. I actually love that it's so unique (even if it's worthless.)

Am I the only one who loves really old beat up baseball cards? They have so much character and just bleed nostalgia. I'm thinking about wasting a paycheck on this 1921 Babe Ruth (although I probably won't):

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!
Do any of you buy reprints of vintage cards? I might actually buy this reprint Musial for $5 instead of the original for $250.

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!

Man-Thing posted:

There is no reason to ever purchase a reprint. It might as well be a counterfeit, there is no guarantee they won't simply print more. If you're getting it for $5, you're essentially throwing five dollars away. Save up and buy an original that is graded much lower (PSA 3-5) for $40-60 and you'll be much happier.

Unfortunately, I have yet to find this Musial card for less than $200. Also, would the example above be a reprint or a counterfeit considering there is nothing on the card that tells you it was made recently? Seems whoever made that card might have been looking to fool someone.

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!

Man-Thing posted:

Get the best version you can afford, hang on to it, and be ready to sell it to finance the next step up.

This is good advice, and will probably be what I end up doing. Thanks.

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!
What is the oldest card you guys own? I might pick up some cheap 1909 - 1912 cards just to have something from that era. eBay has a bunch of these cards for under $20 (poor quality, no-name players of course.)

The idea of owning a Walter Johnson or Tris Speaker card is crazy to me considering as a kid I thought those players were mythological beings or something with the kind of stats they put up. I'd love to save up for one of those.

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!

jeffersonlives posted:

Wow...great card.

Do you know a good online source to research the value of these cards? I'm seeing T206's on eBay but no way of knowing if they are overpriced or not. The only online references I find are other auctions.

I have no interest in completing sets, but I wouldn't mind spending good money for a few nice pieces (something I can hopefully pass on to my children someday.)

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!
I'm guessing the original owner was a Red Sox fan.

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!

streetlamp posted:

Anyone pick up Topps Marquee yet? I dont really like the base cards but most of these are pretty sweet.

http://topprospectalert.com/2011/09/13/some-of-the-coolest-2011-topps-marquee-cards-to-surface/

I just did some research on this and is it true the real valuable cards have metal framing that allow hobby shops to identify the boxes that have them by using a metal detector and keep them away from suckers like me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!
Can't believe the Hockey cards thread has twice as many posts as the baseball cards thread. That's just un-American.

• Locked thread