Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

1500quidporsche posted:

Its pretty nuts. You can't even get 14s anymore and at 15s I'm pretty much on the limit of no power steering being acceptable.

May as well start asking as well, whats the go to small FWD 15 inch tire? In canada so we don't see alot of extreme heat.

Thats what I was asking! Seems like the RS3, version 2. (Build date of 2014 or later, older RS3s had a different compound)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

nm posted:

They're both in 195/50/15. The ship date on the RS3 is 3/23, but I don't plan on buying before that anyhow.

I didn't know that the R-S3 had a smaller size in 15" now. Word.

+1 with tire prices getting wonky. We picked up a set of Advan AD08 Rs in 255/40R17 for the Lexus since R-S3s are coming "eventually" and Z2s were significantly more expensive. I think the R-S3s in 255/40R17 are $162 a tire versus $180ish for the Z2.

Probably going to wait to cord these Rivals before buying a new set on the Miata, though. :(

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

nm posted:

Thats what I was asking! Seems like the RS3, version 2. (Build date of 2014 or later, older RS3s had a different compound)

Will have to go with that then. There's an old guy at our club that is a diehard dunlop fan and always ranting about how RS3s don't provide enough feedback at the limit, but he's the same guy who recently asked for advice about sizing his front sway bar so my stock in his opinion has diminished.

Going to have to wear out my RE11As first.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Phone posted:

We picked up a set of Advan AD08 Rs in 255/40R17 for the Lexus since R-S3s are coming "eventually" and Z2s were significantly more expensive. I think the R-S3s in 255/40R17 are $162 a tire versus $180ish for the Z2.

Tire rack shows 3/12 availability date on the 255/40R17 at $152 each.

For me the tires aren't the hang up, it's finding a suitable wheel to go with them. The only one I can find with the correct offset are O.Z.'s at $275 each. Ouch.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
What car? We couldn't find wheels for the SC300, but Konig Torches clear the brakes (finally). They're boat anchors, but 17x9.5 for $490 shipped is the right price.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Focus ST - 17x8 with 55mm offset. 95% of the wheels in 17x8 (OEM is 18x8) are 45mm offset, and by the rules +/- 7mm is max allowable. I've found a couple others, but they are ugly and weigh in at 23 pounds! The O.Z. are 17.x pounds. I'm not super worried about the weight, but I'd like something under 20, and not ugly as hell.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Wow, 5x108. They don't even make RPF-1s in that.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

There are a metric poo poo-ton of 17x7 and 17x7.5 in 45mm offset, which are all useless to me, but in 17x8 and 48+mm offset.. not so much.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah, I wanted to do a Focus ZX3 with the PZEV motor, but the options for 15x7 4x108 wheels is uh... loving nonexistent.

Phone fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 6, 2015

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams
Picked up some RS3 at the Denver Tire Rack warehouse this morning. Smells good in the BRZ now.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Chriskory posted:

Picked up some RS3 at the Denver Tire Rack warehouse this morning. Smells good in the BRZ now.

Why do you hate tables, what did they ever do to you?

timg is your friend.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
There's also this wildcard:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE-71R

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Don't have a lot of faith in bridgestone. Wasn't that impressed with the RE-11As and now a year later we have a completely new tire...

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Phone posted:

Yeah, I wanted to do a Focus ZX3 with the PZEV motor, but the options for 15x7 4x108 wheels is uh... loving nonexistent.

Stock alloy (10 spoke) 15x6 wheels are 15 lbs confirmed on my lovely scale and cost about $80 for a set of 4. 205/50/15 is reported to fit rather well. Plan is a set of DZ102s because I am poor.

What does this have to do with your post? Nothing because you wanted 15x7s not 15x6s I am just a lovely poo poo idiot poster and should stop posting forever. However tire rack sells Ultraleggeras in 4x108 15x7.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 7, 2015

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

nm posted:

I'm also pretty shocked how little I am saving with a car with 15in wheels. Only $20 more for 225/45/17s v. 195/50/15s. Autocross tires ain't cheap.

There's a huge difference in price the wider you go. It's almost $60/tire more for 245/40/17 vs. 205/45/15 in most compounds. A set of V2 RS3s for the S2000 was almost $700 while it's barely $400 for the miata.

The Locator posted:

There are a metric poo poo-ton of 17x7 and 17x7.5 in 45mm offset, which are all useless to me, but in 17x8 and 48+mm offset.. not so much.

I have a set of Motegi Traklite 2s in 17x8 with a 45mm offset for sale. S2000 bolt pattern though.

Sadi posted:

I had RS3 v1s on my miata, then Dunlop ZIIs, and now RS3 v2s on my m3. So far my favorite is the RS3.

RS3 V2s are a great, they were faster than Z2s in the dry and barely slower in the wet. My only complaint is the sidewall was softer and they felt imprecise compared to the Z2s. Rivals are awesome and easy to drive but don't have the pace to keep up.

I'm getting a set of the new Z2 star specs, I've heard they're way better than RS3 V2s but haven't had any first hand experience.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
I did ice racing today while waiting for autox season to fire back up. It was a 2 hour drive there but worth every second. If there are any around you I highly suggest doing it. Just don't hit any snow banks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj4x2sbAtq8

shane86
Aug 7, 2008
Ahhh.. the joys of a new tire year and the frantic speculation of "what's the best tire" before the season starts.

I'm just a silly Dunlop fanboy, so the new Star Specs will be going on the Z in a few months.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Are they making the Z2SS in 225/45/15?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
245/40/17 RS3s on 8.5" vs unmounted "245"/40/17 eagle RS.

"Should have sent a mustang". Apparently they narrow down to A6 size when mounted.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Does anybody know what class a spec miata goes into?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
D Mod or something.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Crustashio posted:

245/40/17 RS3s on 8.5" vs unmounted "245"/40/17 eagle RS.

"Should have sent a mustang". Apparently they narrow down to A6 size when mounted.

That's what happens when you pinch the hell outta tires. I run my 225 RS3s on wider wheels than your 245s.

Rcomps tend to play fast and loose with tread width as well.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

1500quidporsche posted:

Does anybody know what class a spec miata goes into?

DSP. You can run any tire you want on a SM legal wheel.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

FatCow posted:

DSP. You can run any tire you want on a SM legal wheel.

yeah, I was just curious about PAX. pretty sure a guy in our club is going to run Toyo street tires a Canadian Nationals this year to win some Toyo money or something since nobody else is going to actually run them. Thought if he was in Dmod or something I might be able to swing beating him on PAX, but if its DSP I don't stand a chance of beating him.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Race or trash?

GOD IS BED fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 16, 2015

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

GOD IS BED posted:

Race or trash?

i don't know how you would race on grayscale pixels

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I'm not sure can you post a bigger version?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I will suggest that you lower your pressures a little.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
Sorry guys, phoneposting. Couldn't tell how big it would turn out.

I am definitely lowering the tire pressure, just wondered if they would survive another autox.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Cords showing? I wouldn't.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Can't say anything about non-SCCA, but the SCCA rules say if there is any cord visible, it doesn't pass tech.

Had a good autocross day today. The Focus continues to impress me with how much fun it is to drive in anger, but I am certainly going to need to get good tires if I want to keep autocrossing it after the spring season. I may grab video off the dash cam and see if it looks interesting at all.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

GOD IS BED posted:

Race or trash?

Trash.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Yup. Cord showing at the bottom.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
Ordering new shoes tomorrow. Thanks everyone.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I'm looking to do some autocross in my '13 Focus ST this year. Would running on the stock Goodyear f1s be okay for a first timer? I'm in Illinois by Orland Park and was curious if any goons can help me out I where to go, etc.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

They should be fine, but won't be fast. For learning, worse tires are better though, they make you a better driver.
Make sure to get the alignment chwck though.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Ringo Star Get posted:

I'm looking to do some autocross in my '13 Focus ST this year. Would running on the stock Goodyear f1s be okay for a first timer? I'm in Illinois by Orland Park and was curious if any goons can help me out I where to go, etc.

I am driving my 14 ST on the OEM tires, and while I don't really care for how they feel, they are plenty good enough to go out and learn if you will enjoy autcross.

I've been top 3 in our PAX class all three events this year on them.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Ringo Star Get posted:

They'll be fine, they're a bit finicky in the cold or wet which is good for learning to be smooth on inputs. They're also quite quick in the dry when warmed up.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
Ok, so checking reviews on Tirerack and I think I've got 3 main contenders: Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Hankook Ventus R-S3, and Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Specs. Any advice from goons on these? Car is a 2011 Mazda Miata.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
R-S3s or BF Rivals.

Here is what people went with for Dixie.

http://sololive.scca.com/CS.html

• Locked thread