Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Backup Snacks
Jan 27, 2006

WHO THE FUCK TOLD ME NOT TO SPOKE?
Just doin my part:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac7MFWXXc4U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
I think this new Atmosphere/Aesop song is pretty dandy.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Rah! posted:

more requirements for Guru day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E3rJI1rGXo

Jazzmatazz Vol 1 was definitely my favorite solo Guru album. I'm a sucker for live Jazz instrumentals.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

I think this new Atmosphere/Aesop song is pretty dandy.
Sounds pretty good, I wish Aesop Rock would come out with another solo album already. Or at least finish his supposed projects he's working with with Cage and Rob Sonic. It's been a while.

One of my good childhood friends actually got featured as the rapper guy in one of the Capcom 3DS commercials that's getting overplayed whenever I'm watching the playoffs and other poo poo. I see it played on TV a lot, I wish him luck though I'm not too sure where his rapping is gonna take him, other than as maybe one of those nerd rappers like maybe MC Chris.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_-_s_6WD10

He's been rapping for a while, pretty decent though a lot of people complain he sounds too much like Eminem.

Another song by him, much older-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq6P0WymfM8

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 20, 2011

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
Postnasal dripcore

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

on point like a unicorn, strapped like tha unabomb
everyday a work day but dont wear a uniform
Gucci Mane a dapper don, capper like a Capricorn

TheFallenEvincar posted:

One of my good childhood friends actually got featured as the rapper guy in one of the Capcom 3DS commercials that's getting overplayed whenever I'm watching the playoffs and other poo poo. I see it played on TV a lot, I wish him luck though I'm not too sure where his rapping is gonna take him, other than as maybe one of those nerd rappers like maybe MC Chris.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_-_s_6WD10

there's a world of difference between making hip-hop about traditionally nerdy poo poo like fighting games and comic books and making nerdcore, especially if that's not all you're rapping about. It's cool that Capcom picked up his song for the commercial; they're probably the video game company that's most down with rap. And realistically, having a song in a commercial will probably do more to boost your friend's money-making potential than any amount of blog hype.

On the other hand, this inspired me to look up the dude who did the Street Fighter 3S rap and he's done basically nothing since then. I tracked down his one EP and it's pretty okay late-90s boom-bap by way of Canada.

e: ugh the youtube comments for that commercial are so goddamn bad, even worse than I'd have expected

Jock Mocken fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 20, 2011

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hopsin

Hahahaha

SirLoin
Mar 9, 2004

Let all your conscious go and blow it by the O
Just a friendly reminder that Curren$y dropped his new mixtape Covert Coup. Get it here:

http://jetsfool.blogspot.com/2011/04/curreny-covert-coup-mixtape-download.html

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman
If you like feel good sunny weather hip hop that sounds like it came out at least 10 years ago, my friends The Gnu Deal put out their mixtape today. Feel free to check it out if that kind of stuff is your thing:

http://thegnudeal.bandcamp.com/album/swaggeroni-steez

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

SirLoin posted:

Just a friendly reminder that Curren$y dropped his new mixtape Covert Coup. Get it here:

http://jetsfool.blogspot.com/2011/04/curreny-covert-coup-mixtape-download.html

I really like this here. I feel like all of Alchemist's beat have that simple understated catchiness that just feels great to the ears and leaves plenty of room to be rapped on.

Currensy has really become a favorite of mine recently, he's so consistent and his smooth buttery voice is lends itself well to both analyzation or just chilling and vibing.

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

preemo on hot97, guru tribute 1 year on

http://www.mixcloud.com/WorksOfMart/guru-1-year-anniversary-tribute-live-on-hot-97-04192011/

SpaceReflex
May 4, 2010
Just plugging the new free Prodigy release "The Ellsworth Bumpy Johnson EP". Production from Sid Roams and the Alchemist.

http://immune2wack.blogspot.com/2011/04/prodigy-ellsworth-bumpy-johnson-ep.html

And the Curren$y album is great too.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
anybody know what sample this is?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToR5QaKIfjo

nevermind, it's carole king

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Apr 20, 2011

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

haha I love the part about 50 min in where premier and flex just start talking about how they met/their rides back in the day

caveman thug poo poo posted:

Juggaknots

The album isn't as good as Clear Blue Skies, but I always liked "Hey" off of Use Your Confusion. Queen Herawin is dope in her own right but my favorite thing about the song is her "guess you not an all-star" after the Smashmouth sample. Also, I KNOW I've heard that one female "hey!" sampled before but I can't for the life of me remember where agggh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IKlmcwJ-j0

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous
I do some volunteer work writing concert reviews and music articles for the local independent radio station here in St. Louis and was sent to review the Cee Lo Green concert tonight.

Hoodie Allen opened and sounded great, but the real poo poo went down halfway through Cee Lo's set.

He sends the girls in his backing band offstage and asks if we knew where he came from and what he did before his fame with Gnarls Barkley and the new album. He goes on about Atlanta and poo poo and says "Here, let me introduce you to my family" and brings out Khujo, T-Mo, and Big Gipp.

The four of them nearly tore down the house running through Cell Therapy and Soul Food. As they went off stage, Cee Lo said they'll have a new album coming out soon.

Am I the only one who didn't know they had reconciled to the point where they were going to record again?

SpaceReflex
May 4, 2010
That interview with Premo is fantastic, I watched the whole thing a while back.

Been on a run lately looking for new music. A lot of good homemade HD video is starting to pop up on Youtube. 5% or so of what I look at from unknown artists is high quality.

SpaceReflex fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Apr 24, 2011

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures

BigHustle posted:

I do some volunteer work writing concert reviews and music articles for the local independent radio station here in St. Louis and was sent to review the Cee Lo Green concert tonight.

Hoodie Allen opened and sounded great, but the real poo poo went down halfway through Cee Lo's set.

He sends the girls in his backing band offstage and asks if we knew where he came from and what he did before his fame with Gnarls Barkley and the new album. He goes on about Atlanta and poo poo and says "Here, let me introduce you to my family" and brings out Khujo, T-Mo, and Big Gipp.

The four of them nearly tore down the house running through Cell Therapy and Soul Food. As they went off stage, Cee Lo said they'll have a new album coming out soon.

Am I the only one who didn't know they had reconciled to the point where they were going to record again?

That's amazing. I didn't know they were back together either, I would've been spazzmatic if I was there. As for re-union records though, I'm not gonna hold my breath.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

dethkon posted:

That's amazing. I didn't know they were back together either, I would've been spazzmatic if I was there. As for re-union records though, I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Sadly, most of the crowd was there to hear 'Crazy' and that 'Forget You' song from Glee and had no idea who the Goodie Mob were. What was really cool is that they only had two mics so they were passing them back and forth between verses. It was pretty sweet.

Cee Lo said that they already had some tracks recorded, so it may actually happen.

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

BigHustle posted:

Sadly, most of the crowd was there to hear 'Crazy' and that 'Forget You' song from Glee and had no idea who the Goodie Mob were. What was really cool is that they only had two mics so they were passing them back and forth between verses. It was pretty sweet.

Cee Lo said that they already had some tracks recorded, so it may actually happen.
yessssss I have been waiting for this poo poo ever since those reunion concerts in Atlanta and at Cypress Hill's Smoke Out in 2009. As I understand it Cee-Lo wanted to finish up his pop-crooner solo effort before going back to real rap.

But yeah like I said earlier in the thread people who like gently caress You or whatever have no clue that the GOOd DIE Mostly Over Bullshit and don't wanna hear dude rap really fast in a voice like he just inhaled a bunch of helium instead of sangin' (he can sing pretty drat well though, the full version of Free from a radio rip owns)

also I wanna recommend that everybody listen to this mixtape if you like introspective raps about THUG LIFE:

juicy_J
Jun 25, 2004
I.O.U. one gmail invite
I think goodie mob's been back together for a while now. I remember seeing them on jimmy fallon at least a year ago performing soul food

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Am I the only person who has friends that think that Kid Cudi and Wiz Khalifa are the pinnacle of rap? (note: I like them both in moderation. but they hold them as the golden standard of rap.)

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

Yep. you're the only 18-24 year old white person posting here .

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

Beowulf LaGrange posted:

Yep. you're the only 18-24 year old white person posting here .

Bahahah. No but how do you deal with it. They don't let me play any other music.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
get better friends

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

get better friends

My friends like Die Antwoord :sigh:

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

DEAR RICHARD posted:

My friends like Die Antwoord :sigh:

lord have mercy on thine soul.

anyone here looking forward to the beastie boys album? :lol:

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
dont worry none of my friends appreciate cerebral rap or grimey shoot-a-nigga rap or rap at all really but i also live in the country rear end part of NY so they only listen to people named garth or toby or li'l

i stopped caring a long time ago when i realized that me being all elitist and pushing [insert dope artist here] on people was only annoying them and frustrating myself

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Call me ignorant (i am) but there's a part of NY that listens to country? Cool.
Also completely agree with last sentence. But its annoying as balls when I'm in the middle of listening to a Mouse on the Track tape ~*~IN MY CAR~*~ and this is interrupted by "WHAT the gently caress ARE WE LISTENING TO? Put on some Kid Cudi or Wiz."

gently caress

I would like to use my limited credibility to say that the last 4 E-40 albums are amazing and everyone should listen to them.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I know people who would think that Busdriver is just a Busta Rhymes wannabe.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Jesus, Nemo you alright?! Spaz! .... Stop Smiling!
I know people who think Method Man is one of the Wayans brothers.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
I feel like such a poser but are the only really great possible albums coming out in the next few months Royce, Lil' Wayne, and maybe at some point in the future Kingdom Come?

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

I also know people.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

cool?

nah but yeah, its basically like this: there are the cool parts of NY that everyone knows about (the 5 boroughs) where its always a hip-hoppin b-boy pop-lock party right? then theres the rest of NY which is one big backwoods meth lab and it rains a lot.

there's "The City" and "Upstate" and "Upstate" is balls

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

Jock Mocken posted:

also I wanna recommend that everybody listen to this mixtape if you like introspective raps about THUG LIFE:

Sorry, I'm not very good at the internet today, where can I find this?

VampireRobot
Apr 4, 2004
Pastor Troy is the best gangsta rapper out right now

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

Also completely agree with last sentence. But its annoying as balls when I'm in the middle of listening to a Mouse on the Track tape ~*~IN MY CAR~*~ and this is interrupted by "WHAT the gently caress ARE WE LISTENING TO? Put on some Kid Cudi or Wiz."

gently caress

I would like to use my limited credibility to say that the last 4 E-40 albums are amazing and everyone should listen to them.

grow some balls and tell your bamma-rear end friends they can get the gently caress out of your whip if they don't like what you're playing

glorp
Dec 12, 2004

by T. Butt

cool?

nah but yeah, its basically like this: there are the cool parts of NY that everyone knows about (the 5 boroughs) where its always a hip-hoppin b-boy pop-lock party right? then theres the rest of NY which is one big backwoods meth lab and it rains a lot.

there's "The City" and "Upstate" and "Upstate" is balls

haha theres a rapper in atx who always claims upstate (troy, to be exact) does this mean that hes not really a real new yorker

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

glorp posted:

haha theres a rapper in atx who always claims upstate (troy, to be exact) does this mean that hes not really a real new yorker

"upstate" can also mean "prison" too so protect ya neck

glorp
Dec 12, 2004

by T. Butt
there is no way that fool is from rikers or green or whatever...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Korak posted:

I feel like such a poser but are the only really great possible albums coming out in the next few months Royce, Lil' Wayne, and maybe at some point in the future Kingdom Come?

What is a great possible album?

This is outdated but relevant nonetheless:
http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/editorials/id.1642/title.hiphopdxs-2011-release-preview

BigHustle posted:

Being from the south it hurts my heart to admit that I've never heard a Goodie Mob album...this must end so which should I go for?

Also: I suck at writing reviews apparently and could use some improvement. Any pointers?

John Brown fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 22, 2011

• Locked thread