Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Jesus, Nemo you alright?! Spaz! .... Stop Smiling!
Just got done listening to Oneirology and that's the first I've heard by CunninLynguists. Are the rest of their albums worth pickin up? I loved the tone throughout and I sort of agree with Beowulf in that the production was better than the actual rapping was but it's still nothing short of great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

vanbags posted:

Haystak vs Eminem

I feel like nobody should even know about this. It's like publishing a 14-year-old's rant about the government.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Bulging Nipples posted:

They're out of Dallas

I should be paying more attention to my local scene I guess.

Edit: I was never really all that big on Cheers...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-SESh707V4

I'm pretty surprised Violent J didn't make it into the background somewhere.

HatchetDown fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 29, 2011

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Bulging Nipples posted:

apparently Picnic Tyme produced the whole album. I'd never heard of them, but I'm gonna keep an eye out from now on

They get respect for using the "Me So Horny" sample in a way that wasn't corny as hell.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Did the Del interview last night and I ended up giving him a ride to his own show which made me nerd out pretty hard. We talked about what he's doing and trying to do. He said that they're actually nowhere near done with Event II yet and he's supposed to hook up with Automator after the tour. The other thing I'm excited about is he said his label is trying to get Doom to do an album with him but it's hard to get in touch with the guy because he's slowly become a complete recluse.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

alansmithee posted:

That's pretty cool, any way we could check the interview out? I will say I'd actually be surprised to ever see another album with Automator though (is anyone even checking for that anymore?) Did you ask anything about his thoughts on the industry currently?

And I remember when Doom first started having people pretending to be him doing his shows there was some speculation that he had some health problems, I'm wondering if that's not the case. I can't think of anyone else who was that prolific just totally disappearing right when they started breaking through (especially since Doom never been shy about how money-focused he is/was). Or maybe now the money's just not enough to make him bother.

I would say a Doom/Del album would be...interesting. Not sure how it would work though, since neither of them has a real high-energy flow.

Yeah that was one of my first questions actually and I'm going to post it as soon as I can, my home computer is down.

He mentioned the whole fake Doom thing and how he's pretty sure that that's all that he was doing, coming out with an album every time he wanted to make some cash and just stays with his family. Afterward Doom's excuse for having another guy do his shows was that Doom is techinically a character and Del was like "C'mon man you can't just say that poo poo after the fact"

I just like the idea of Del/Doom because after ICP/Twiztid they were the two rappers that really got me into hip hop. Realistically it might be a little off-balance. I think Del is sort of high energy, or at least his flow has its own special kind of emphatic, while Doom's voice is real grainy and mellow.

Speaking of I.C.P. I'm actually doing this for a Juggalo News site so don't :stare: when you see the credit for Faygoluvers.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

I know it might hurt your head but I got my first copy of Masters of the Universe from a Juggalo. They listen to everything.

Edit: But they still stupid.

HatchetDown fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 4, 2011

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

alansmithee posted:

From what I've read in interviews, pretty much Doom was procrastinating and Ghost just moved on.

I'll wanna check the interview, seems interesting.

That sounds like it would be the case. Unfortunately my conversation about Doom was just in the car, though he does mention briefly that he's trying to work with him in the interview as well as the slight possibility of working with Dangermouse.

Has anyone caught any of those G4 Freestyle101 spots?

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Here's the Del Interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83dSaniJNlA

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

alansmithee posted:

Why did you choose to lead in with a Deltron 3030 song?

Also I thought it was a bit depressing, tbh. I remember hearing about that promotion he did where you could get a song/album/verse with him (part of his album package) and like there's a lot of rappers of way less profile who charge $10k for a verse, not a whole EP. I wonder if he would've kinda catered more to a different fanbase if he would be getting a bit more support. IIRC he's from Oakland and I know the bay area usually supports their artists pretty strongly. Just seems like a lot of the Deltron crowd has moved on, and he doesn't have many "rap" dudes left. Or maybe I'm wrong, idk.

Because how Virus sounds appeals to more people in the fan base I'm dealing with. I completely agree, he's kind of burnt out but he keeps chugging on producing music every day or else according to him he get's "real irritated" when he doesn't and it's taken a lot of steam out of his style. He also made mention of how every time he tries to get a little experimental his fan base hates it so he has to expand his sound in small doses. I think he just needs to get hooked up with a good producer again so he can concentrate more on writing his raps.

Maybe I'm alone on this one, but he also needs to work with Aesop again. Those two would sound phenomenally better together than if he finally ends up doing the project with Doom.

Subject change, does anyone have any locals they want to promote? I'm still sorting through the ones here in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area and I have to deal with poo poo like this on a constant basis because of the site I work for.

Somebody save me.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

How much power would a label have to push a project through if both artists are on the same label?

For anyone who hasn't heard the Del/Aesop awesomeness: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7vSzgDhF3Y

Seconding Kendrick Lamar being awesome, especially Monster, but I haven't heard much about him since "Look Out For Detox" came out.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Who does pretty good rapid fire that isn't Tech or Twista?

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Thanks for all the great recommends guys, especially lovin T-Rock. I think this is my new favorite NMD thread.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Jerome Agricola posted:

If you can stand his hubris, Machine Gun Kelly

As it turns out I cannot lol but I have to admit he does his thing well.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

I know people who think Method Man is one of the Wayans brothers.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

He's listed as one of the Songwriters for Come Around on Kala, and though the rapping is pretty meh to me I did love the beat. I'm not completely informed on how MIA does her thing in the studio, does anyone know if it was just Timbaland doin the beat or if it was an actual viable collab?

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Yeah that's the one hahaha.

It's become pretty clear that a trend for a bigger artists with their own label will have their own clan of choice artists signed to their label. I'm so used to people like Kutt and Big Kriz from Strange Music and for a little while Opio from Heiro but I never researched many others. There's gotta be something gold I've been missing, anybody have ideas?

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

The trash talk ITT is top notch.

Seconding the big ups on Death Grips, poo poo's rough.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

It's a Doseone kinda day. Every time I hear somebody talk about 8 mile and how hard it was for Eminem to build his career as a white rapper I throw them the old vid where Dose tears him apart.

http://youtu.be/GB2ezgb_bWU

http://youtu.be/EgZVZE5USl4

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Who are some good producers that put out Instrumental albums aside from Madlib, Dilla, and Nujabes?

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

For those who might find it amusing, Daddy X from the Kottonmouth Kings got stabbed in the neck.

http://www.tmz.com/2011/05/02/daddy-x-kottonmouth-kings-stabbed-in-the-neck-lead-singer-hospitalized-surgery/

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

If all the people attending are white suburban kids you should be able to just put Tha Carter III on loop and get away with it.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

John Brown posted:

Well this is a question anyone can feel free to comment on. I'm planning on starting a label with a friend within the next year or two and dropping some mixtapes. I've got some long-lost connections here in Dallas that I could possibly resurrect but I was thinking of moving to Houston. Nowadays does location really matter seeing as the internet has become such an intricate part of the game?

I write reviews for that Juggalo website and I'm in Ft. Worth. We promote poo poo around the metroplex all the time if you wanna pass somethin off to me, I'm kind of really really really tired of the terrible ICP/Tech N9ne knockoffs we get all the time. Actually I'm about to finally finish doing the Underground Spotlight article for A.Dd+. If you don't want to be associated with it I totally get it but between the two I'd say Dallas just because of how much competition you're facing in Houston.

Obviously social networking can get you pretty far but I'd go one step beyond since we've passed the rush of people getting into it and now were the apathetic Facebook generation. A Facebook page nowadays is more of a reference point than it is a promotion tool. Find whatever it is you think is most unique about your style and exploit the poo poo out of it, find a promotion technique that fits it best.

I remember there was this horrorcore group out of some northern state that took a Haunted House tour in a beat up van. They would roll up to the line, open up the side where it housed a few speakers and their main MC jumped out in straight jacket rapping about how he was being held against his will and he would get chased by the two other guys while he was rapping until they finally nabbed him on the last verse and dragged him kickin and screamin back the van. They had it timed perfectly and I haven't seen showmanship or dedication like that since. They never got in trouble with security either because it was so unexpected and it was over within 2 or 3 minutes. I wish I could remember their name but they disbanded after one of them was shot.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

I love Tech but "Mama Nem" just isn't good. Definitely one of the least deserving of a video.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

John Brown posted:

Do you have PMs?

Yepper

I have a deep and sincere dislike for Chris Brown but I love the beat on Look At Me Now.

http://youtu.be/s_pBf0QbR3Q

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

I've got an interesting challenge that's surprisingly hard for me. I have a friend who challenged me to "find him a rapper that goes harder than Eminem". While this sounds easy enough, he's not exactly what I would call a true rap fan. He's completely submerged in top 40 stuff so I can't give him a lot of the better rap I have because I think it'll go unappreciated. All I can think of off the top of my head that'll satisfy him is a bunch of old Three 6 mixtapes or maybe Kendrick Lamar since he's current. Any ideas?

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Chade Johnson posted:

Maybe Vinnie Paz or some of the newer Jedi Mind Tricks Stuff? Ill Bill would fit in here as well.

Methinks some Army of the Pharaohs is actually gonna work.

Thanks y'all this list is lookin good.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

caveman thug poo poo posted:

im sayin, i could rattle off a list of rappers who have at one time or another "gone harder" or at least "as hard" as even early Eminem, but for someone who holds Em in such a high regard where he needs to have proof laid out before him that there are other rappers on that level, they really arent in a position to have that view changed

I totally agree with you. I think he's of the mind where fast=good or is still under the 8 Mile spell.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Aggro posted:

Even then, some Twista and Tonedeff take the prize if fast=good.

:doh: and Busta. How did I not immediately think of Busta.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Fuuuuuuck I'm keepin those for myself.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Tech & Lil Wayne leaked

http://smokingsection.uproxx.com/TSS/2011/06/tech-n9ne-feat-lil-wayne-and-t-pain-fck-food

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

I don't mind Danny Brown's rapping, but there's something about his voice that bugs the poo poo out of me.

Edit: proclick on the Dispensary Music, loved the whole thing.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

alansmithee posted:

He's got kinda a high-nasally voice, but I think he makes it work with his flow. I've also listened to a lot of Lif and even Doseone though, so my tolerance for odd voices might be high.

I love Doseone equally. I just give his voice a pass because he's racially ambiguous to me and believing everyone from Idaho speaks that way is too much fun.

Backup Snacks posted:

:respek: That and Denver Doobies have been my :420: filled early summer rotation, I hope they make it so 3oh!3 is not the legacy of Denver hip-hop. gently caress 3oh!3.

It's okay I don't think you have anything to worry about, their fans don't even like Rap.

HatchetDown fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 8, 2011

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

The Rising Suun posted:

It's lovely cause the urban radio station has had a ban on Trae for a minute and has even fired DJs for playing him.

Forgive my ignorance, but why the gently caress?

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Has anyone in here heard of Azealia Banks? Just got passed these two tracks and the very least I can say is I'll take her over Kreayshawn and Minaj any day.

There's a free download on her site that isn't too shabby either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

I'm reviewing a show with Claas, Whitney Peyton, Black Pegasus, and RA The Rugged Man. I was wantin to see if I could get some opinions if any of yall recognize those names.

• Locked thread