Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Teepkick Shakur posted:

If I like wu-tang clan who else would I like?

alternately, look everyone! forever zero is back!

anywho, drat good OP (and thread title) Jock. I'll continue from the last page of the old thread by reposting exactly what I posted there ok

caveman thugga posted:

so I finally remembered/got around to downloading the money making jam boys mixtape and in the process of finding a link that wasnt IMPOSSIBLE TO DOWNLOAD i found out about this:

im pretty psyched for this but im also a giant black thought nerd so maybe yall can go gently caress yourselves? hmm

Jocka Flocka Flam posted:

close this thread and talk about it in the new one you big dummy! :argh:

also I'd never even heard of that mixtape but I always like the Roots tracks with Dice and Peedi the best so I'm downloading it now, thanks for the mention

after a very flimsy once over I'm kinda "MEH" on the MMJB thing but there's no way I'll be disappointed with a black thought EP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
its hard to believe that snoop still had all that prime tattoo real estate but good thing he did cause that is A Good Tattoo

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Bluetooth human being posted:

Is Tech N9ne the guy who does that song about Malibu, Pineapple or something else (basically rapping about a mixed drink or something)? Cause I hate that song, but never heard anything else by him. Crybaby is pretty good so far though.

Edit: Found it just after I posted. Caribou Lou. Was there another version of it? My sister-in-law would play it all the damned time.

if you want to hear Tech at his best you'd have to listen to Anghellic. If you don't like Anghellic you don't like Tech N9ne.

e: I kinda didn't like "Caribou Lou" at first either (mostly because of the hook and the "poppyness" of it) but once that second or third verse kicked in with "Tarbender, I need a druther nink" and he flips out like "SAAWIIING BATTA BATTA (TECH, YOU'RE NOT MAKIN ANY SENSE!)" i was sold

oh and big ups to alan for the crucial conflict/do or die nod. sometimes i feel like im the only one who remembers those dudes

E.T. NO HOMO fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 29, 2011

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Gaupo Guacho posted:

Ok forget wu-tang i was going to say something like Odd future anyway.

i read your post like 6 times and even replaced wu-tang with OF and still don't get what you're trying to say

also sage francis does rap about real poo poo sometimes its just that hes not very good at it and its usually boring and way too "free form" for at least me and mostly everyone else

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
this just in: rappers are kinda abusive towards women unless the song is about how awesome pussy is

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

alansmithee posted:

Sage Francis is actually a very good MC and is someone who I think the way a lot of his fanbase reacts to him really colors how other people view him. I didn't listen to his last album really (still mean to), but I liked everything before that.

eh I felt kinda weird even writing the "not very good at it" part because there was a song or two, once upon a time, that i kinda dug but my "too free form" comment still holds water i think. i couldnt stand to listen to an entire album of Sage but i do know that the dude can rap

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
just wanna post this aesop song because if you didnt like None Shall Pass you're broken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc9qJS-GG-c

right now what are you doing? what are you do-ing.?

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

cardedagain posted:

yeah, caveman, be careful for you might be referencing the rapper that google can't find.

eh, the whole "just aesop" is kinda ringing a bell but thats probably because a big hunk (no homo) of the last page was about aesop rock so aesop aesop aesop - but i like that you took a little unprovoked jab at Splits about it, thats what keeps us on our toes

i think theres one thing that alan has said that yall should really listen to more and it was "like what you like" and loving post about it if you like it because I might like it too (Senate won't like it but don't worry, he doesnt even listen to hip hop anymore). there's always gonna be someone here who will call you a human being, because you probably are a human being, but not because you like LMNO more than Raekwon or because you dont know the words to C.R.E.A.M.

E.T. NO HOMO fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 2, 2011

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
also I dont think Celph has dropped an n-bomb in quite some time.. I'm thinking back to the AOTP/Apathy albums and I dont really remember any

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
its cool to see joey getting a little love seeing as how someone went out of their way to edit him out of the slaughterhouse record. i mean i can see why some people dont like him or whatever but i like every one of his verses on on slaughterhouse and his solo work is great for when you feel like killing yourself

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
welp i guess i toss in my hat on the celph doesnt say nigga debate then

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Sarx posted:

Also, Blueprint's album is out today and its really good. I've been a fan of the guy for a long time and I think this is the best I've heard him.

ive always liked print and ever since his song on bk-one's album ive been checking for him. the stuff that rhymesayers posts on facebook was enough to get me interested in the album so thanks for mentioning that its out, ill check it out

also heres that song for yall busters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlxPOnnNRMs

im like drat fam.. u prolly right

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
how did i totally miss that pharoahe monch dropped a new album with all kinds of crazy features? oh thats right, yall were arguing about 3 6 mafia. you guys are terrible at your job

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
meh, desire wasnt necessarily my jam (although i can never get the "i spark tireless illumination fire sixteen bars wireless communication LETS GO" line out of my head) either but i'll give anything pharoahe does a fair shot at least

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
for those of you just cluing in to Lif, you should prolly check out The Perceptionists too. I used to bump Black Dialogue all the time plus theres a hilarious song with Shock G on that album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiwZe9CBytU

son, im known to get money

E.T. NO HOMO fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 14, 2011

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
hey everybody i dont have anything new to post but i jammed out so hard today to Juggaknots "Clear Blue Skies" album (or more truthfully the re-release of that album, aptly titled "Re:Release") that I felt it necessary to declare it "hey everybody go listen to Juggaknots again" day or week or whatever, whenever you can get around to it.

here is some reasons why to do what I say:

I could listen to Trouble Man on repeat for at least 20 minutes and for some reason Breeze's verse about giving birth to a rhyme turns me on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QVFG8VvP80

"next time I see you imma kill you" and was jettin. Hmm. that's different:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEXYQCY1gf8

behold the fungus among us:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZradKNT7SI

so if you've already heard the album as many times over as I have it's probably been a while since you've listened to it so go ahead and rock out whaddya say ok

and if you've never heard of juggaknots or this album or w/e then you're welcome

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Final Fart Buttball posted:

Nobody is allowed to listen to anything but Gang Starr today. All violators will be arrested

gently caress i can't believe it's already been a year. I listened to NY Niggas on the way home today without even realizing it was mandatory because thats how hip-hop i am

Rah! posted:

Looking around on google i see "youth ranch" applied to everything from christian camps, to "family help camps", to state correctional facilities. I'm sure horror stories from some don't apply to all of the others.

Yeah, but i'd bet you it's a whole shitload better than being in jail/prison (or one of those "youth camp" correctional facilities). I'm assuming once he's 18 there's no way for them to make him stay there, since it's a school that his parents sent him to (at least that's what it looks like judging by the website). The criteria for admission to that place include things such as ADD, depression, academic under-performance, and difficulty making friends. Considering that, I really doubt it's a bad place. I guess i could be wrong though, and the website is a lie, and it's actually run by people who love terrorizing kids and destroying them mentally.

youre the only one implying terrorism and mental abuse and sodomy (you didnt say sodomy but i know you were thinking it)

E.T. NO HOMO fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 19, 2011

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
get better friends

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
dont worry none of my friends appreciate cerebral rap or grimey shoot-a-nigga rap or rap at all really but i also live in the country rear end part of NY so they only listen to people named garth or toby or li'l

i stopped caring a long time ago when i realized that me being all elitist and pushing [insert dope artist here] on people was only annoying them and frustrating myself

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

Call me ignorant (i am) but there's a part of NY that listens to country? Cool.

cool?

nah but yeah, its basically like this: there are the cool parts of NY that everyone knows about (the 5 boroughs) where its always a hip-hoppin b-boy pop-lock party right? then theres the rest of NY which is one big backwoods meth lab and it rains a lot.

there's "The City" and "Upstate" and "Upstate" is balls

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

glorp posted:

haha theres a rapper in atx who always claims upstate (troy, to be exact) does this mean that hes not really a real new yorker

"upstate" can also mean "prison" too so protect ya neck

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Jock said on the last page something like how Cee Lo "really can sing though" and I know what he meant but I feel like I should mention again (I know I said it in the last thread) that his album "Cee Lo Green and His Perfect Imperfections" is loving incredible and if I wasn't slightly zoned out right now I'd post a bunch of youtube videos to prove it. so as always, do yourself a favor and get that album ok

gently caress it here's a couple for the road

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRxZ9gKD1oQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNp15l_rcjE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-02VRblPfMI

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

The Maestro posted:

Also, re: cavemanthugshit and Juggaknots - Trouble Man is definitely in my top favorite songs ever, every time I listen to it I discover something new. Plus that beat is dope as poo poo. I really love the format of the album too, all the really short songs with a couple verses and maybe one chorus. Always checking for new Breezely poo poo, I think he's one of the most talented MCs on the mic, even if Re:Release/Clear Blue Skies is my only evidence (it's not).

he's also part of Weathermen and has a killer opening verse on Aesop's song off None Shall Pass called Getaway Car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6rQvo5yYB0

ive been trying to think of a proper way to describe Breeze's flow and I can't pin it down, but I love it for sure. this is the most recent thing I've heard him on, if you've got something else let me know

oh and like 2 seconds of google and i stumbled on this from an interview lol:

quote:

Robbie: You’ve got a unique flow yourself. How did you develop that, or was it a natural progression?

Breeze: I wouldn’t call it natural. It comes from influences and just listening to a lot of cats. It’s just bugged… within the space of the bars, I’m trying to do a lot with it, but then at the same time, not doing too much, so that things are subtle. You wanna have punch-lines, but at the same time you don’t wanna hold the listeners hand. You wanna have it racey enough so that it’ll come by and be a nice flash, but you don’t want ‘em to miss the flash either. So just trying to keep that balance of being slick with it, and then not too overt with it – but obvious. It’s a cool challenge. If you got a good line – put it out there, but don’t say it like it’s the last good line you ever gonna have in your life!

and

Breeze posted:

“I’m Gonna Kill You”, is my favorite song I’ve ever recorded. If I never make anything like that from here on in, I’m good, because that song, right there is… I really couldn’t improve on it if I tried. Lyrically and musically and song structure-wise, that’s my favorite joint.
this is awesome cause i cant explain how much I love the line after the first little refrain "Hmm.. That's different." it's probably my favorite next to Trouble Man

E.T. NO HOMO fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 24, 2011

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

O__O posted:

The last page or so is a low point in the Something Awful Forums history.

says the 2011. y'aint seen nothin yet kid

HUSTLE HAWRD HOMIE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nJerx3aAmI

you'll never find a dime that ain't mine, motherfucker

e: haha what the poo poo john cena is in this song? pretty sure i win this argument now

E.T. NO HOMO fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 28, 2011

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
jesus that hook screams NAAAAAAATE DOOOOOOOGGG

also im glad royce explained that 'activator' line. made me chuckle.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

HatchetDown posted:

Who are some good producers that put out Instrumental albums aside from Madlib, Dilla, and Nujabes?

im pretty sure i have a large pro instru album somewhere

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

i was gonna mention that theres an instru version of Cage's Hells Winter cause i thought it was mostly Blockhead, but there's only one Blockhead beat on there. The rest is El-P, RJD2, the regular Def Jux cast..

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

alansmithee posted:

None Shall Pass was all Blockhead, iirc.

yep. i think what wasnt blockhead was aes himself

there are some pretty fresh beats on none shall pass too, while we're on the subject.. like citronella, keep off the lawn, getaway car, none shall pass (if you want to freestyle about colors on acid), and the harbor is yours

E.T. NO HOMO fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 1, 2011

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Robert Analog posted:

Be sure to get the C&S remix of Krit Wuz Here by Michael Watts. Hopefully he'll do Return of 4Eva too.

why did I think mike watts died? i just spent a few minutes googling and i guess im wrong but i could have sworn he did. I guess im thinking of dj screw?

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

snyprmag posted:

speaking of white rappers, Aesop Rock's group with Rob Sonic dropped their album and its a drat good listen for fans of that kind of thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss3VBFNCAGs

i love rob sonic in small doses but now every time one of his tracks pops up (other than Rock The Convoy) when I'm listening to my shits on random i skip it.. definite gonna check out this album tho

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Super Lazy posted:

So did everybody forget about the GBC?

New poo poo from Scoop and Ryu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH5znWezh6s[NSFW]

im pretty much the only other one in here who cares and i didnt forget ive just been too lazy to type all those letters in google and see whats up with the new album

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

farmtrill posted:

new elzhi tape, the long awaited nas tribute, elmatic http://www.mediafire.com/?d03jjue821lf864

yes yes yall

e: here's the xxl link in case yall dont wanna mess around with mediafire http://www.xxlmag.com/news/2011/05/download-elzhis-elmatic-now/

E.T. NO HOMO fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 11, 2011

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

phractured posted:

There was an excerpt from a book about Hip-Hop in the AP literature exam today. I thought it was an interesting departure from what I normally see on those tests.

what book? the only one i ever picked up was Cant Stop Wont Stop by Jeff Chang and i gotta admit it was a... challenging... read

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Also I really realyl did not expect to like that Elmatic tape, but drat its way good.

if you liked Elmatic go ahead and get Elzhi's 'The Preface' if you dont already have it. Elzhi is bonkers

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Rah! posted:

New video from DaVinci ft. San Quinn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f04ZqNA91mE

Pretty chill beat. You can download the song here: http://soundcloud.com/swtbrds/clean-rear end-whip-full-song

im really diggin this dude based off this and the last video of his that one of yall posted.. hes one of those cats i feel like i should already know more about

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

phractured posted:

The OFWGKTA thread has more posts than the entire hip-hop thread. People ride them so hard.

our last thread had 9,078 posts, and there was one before that with around the same amount. :whatup:

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

phractured posted:

How many of you guys know a decent amount about the history of hip-hop? For diversity day at my school, I made a presentation about the history of hip-hop, and I actually learned a lot that I never knew about. What are some interesting bits of hip-hop history that you guys would share?

I like to think that I know a lot about the history of hip-hop, but at the end of the day I just love beats and rhymes. I fell in love with hip-hop when I heard what people were doing with words, I remember being amazed that people could do that (i.e. 16 bars of 8 syllable rhyme schemes), and it's a lot easier for me to talk about how incredible it is that 'MC Y' or 'Producer X' did 'Thing Z' than the sociopolitical undertones of why it exists in the first place.

What were some of the things you discovered that suprised you?

e: also a little bummed about Akrobatik, hope he pulls through. i'll listen to some Perceptionists today because that will help

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

HatchetDown posted:

I've got an interesting challenge that's surprisingly hard for me. I have a friend who challenged me to "find him a rapper that goes harder than Eminem". While this sounds easy enough, he's not exactly what I would call a true rap fan. He's completely submerged in top 40 stuff so I can't give him a lot of the better rap I have because I think it'll go unappreciated. All I can think of off the top of my head that'll satisfy him is a bunch of old Three 6 mixtapes or maybe Kendrick Lamar since he's current. Any ideas?

if he's the type of person who needs to be convinced that there are rappers that "go harder than eminem" you won't be able to convince him that one exists

E.T. NO HOMO fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
im sayin, i could rattle off a list of rappers who have at one time or another "gone harder" or at least "as hard" as even early Eminem, but for someone who holds Em in such a high regard where he needs to have proof laid out before him that there are other rappers on that level, they really arent in a position to have that view changed

hopefully your friend comes to this realization with your help and youre bumping Black On Both Sides this time next week

• Locked thread