Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

Bulging Nipples posted:

I get the feeling this is gonna be decisive in this thread but A.Dd+ dropped a free album today. They're out of Dallas; I've been following these guys for a bit, and they've grown on me. It's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, it's a really weird album. I get the feeling Andre 3000 is a huge influence of theirs, though they're no where near his level. Production is nice.

I found it started kinda slow but standout tracks for me are Southbound, Greedy, Mary Go, Likeamug, Goodwill

http://addplus.bandcamp.com/album/when-pigs-fly

This is dope. They don't sound that weird to me, but they are definitely tight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

cardedagain posted:

http://www.xxlmag.com/news/2011/03/killer-mike-to-give-live-interview-on-xxl/

Killer Mike and El-P spend 40 minutes talking about themselves and the joint album they're working on.

I'm really really excited for this album. El-P's my favorite producer ever. I hope this whole album is as dope as that snippet.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman
Mac Lethal put out his new mixtape North Korean BBQ here: http://maclethal.bandcamp.com

I don't know if anyone's interested. Mac's hit and miss for me, but this is mostly a miss. I prefer his older stuff and his guest spots myself. Ever since his stint with Rhymesayers I've not been impressed by him.

Also, Blueprint's album is out today and its really good. I've been a fan of the guy for a long time and I think this is the best I've heard him.

Noah 23 came out with his new album last week, but if anyone listens to that kind of stuff, they might dig it. It's called Fry Cook On Venus.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

edit: as a small sidenote I remember when Relapse came out and I believe the consensus here was it was not very good. I remember I said that I think it is a classic. I just wanna say I stand by that opinion in terms of modern albums.

While I defend the subjectivity of art, this is an example of an opinion being wrong. Relapse is not only not a classic, but it is Eminem's worst album hands down.

To label it classic, in fact, cheapens the term classic.

Compare it to the new Kanye, which while I think is a good album, I wouldn't call classic, but I have heard many people label it as such. There's no way you can even say Relapse is in the same league as that album.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

I'm interested in your reasoning as to how this album is "hands down" worse than Recovery and Encore.

edit: The voice thing is not a good enough reason.

Okay, hands down may be a bit strong for Recovery because I think both albums are very close to each other because I think there's one listenable song on each of them. Relapse has Underground, which is awesome because the song is in 5/4 time which almost no other hip hop song is in, and the fact that Eminem rides that beat so flawlessly is very awesome. Recovery has "On Fire" which is an absolute banger with some of the best Eminem verses since the Eminem show. However, Recovery is full of insufferable boy band hooks while Relapse has Eminem trying to reclaim his "horrorcore" style from his first album, but it just comes off as ridiculous. Which is my main problem with both of the albums, they don't sound genuine. They sound artificial and overwrought.

That's the only thing that I think puts Encore above them to me. While Encore is full of the same "dad raps" as Recovery, where we see glimpses of a mature Eminem talking about his daughter and about trying to squash beef and prevent tragedy, it at least sounds kind of believable and genuine as where Recovery and Relapse sound fake and "try-hard".

Regardless of how you order those three albums, none of them are even close to classic. Think of other classic albums: ATLiens, Illmatic, Death Certificate, The Chronic, Stress: The Extinction Agenda, Midnight Marauders, etc. I don't believe you can put Relapse amongst company like that genuinely.

You can defend the album as something you enjoy, and that you really like, or even as a personal classic perhaps, but a classic is something defined by listeners at large.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

Okay I definitely see a lil more of your point now, at least you aren't one of those "OMG THE VOICE" people. I mean obviously ATLiens and those are on another level, but I feel like they are also entrenched in a different era of expectation and music.

Recovery definitely has Eminem unnecessarily stepping into that trying-to-be-catchy bullshit poppy production, which is overall a less honest place for Em to try and be but I think he basically succeeded although the product is just not dope in the face of, or in the same way as, what he used to be capable of.

Relapse I guess you could say he is trying to be too murderous but the rhyme schemes and atmosphere (something Recovery entirely lacks) make it have more replayability. Early in his career, the "crazyness" of his music did feel more natural. In Relapse it is artificial but in a creative "artistic" way. It's like stepping into a crazy carnival of serial killing and just rhymes on top of rhymes. Definitely reeks of artificiality but in a good way in my opinion.

I mean Same Song and Dance, Stay Wide Awake, Must Be The Ganja, those are all just really cool songs. I would say go back and listen but you probably are pretty cemented in your opinion.

But yeah, I'm thinking maybe they are more personal classics than anything but as far as mainstream rap at least it has a lot of hardcore rapping.

tl;dr I'm a Relapse fanboy.

I still listen to some Relapse joints every once in awhile. I'm not a fan, but I know the songs well enough that I am pretty firm in my opinion. I didn't just listen once and throw it in the trash because I really wanted to like the album. Eminem's first few records are great to me, and I want him to make more good music.

I think its even easier to see that the last three records aren't classic, because we're talking about an artist with two definitive classic records in his catalog. I'm pretty sure either The Marshall Mathers LP or The Slim Shady LP is in most rap fans top 10 ever lists.

I just think classic is often thrown around but its the kind of thing that isn't declared by one single person.

For instance, to me personally here are some classics: Hope by The Non Prophets, The Cold Vein, I'll Sleep When You're Dead, Shadows On The Sun. I don't know that they are definitively classics though because they are not largely agreed upon, so I don't declare them classic unless I add something like "personal" or "arguably" to the equation.

But I'm going to stop now that this has basically turned into a diatribe on the importance of adjectives.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

Jock Mocken posted:

how I feel about Relapse/Recovery era Eminem, for the most part: "you're too old, let go, it's over" - Marshall Mathers, 2002

I try not to be quite that negative. I think there's a way for him to make more mature music without going the route of making the rap equivalent of Creed albums. He should do what he did on Underground, and really try to innovate. He's one of the few mainstream hip hop artists who has the authority and fan base to do so.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

Jock Mocken posted:

With the success of Recovery, I think he's in Jay-Z territory now. He'll make occasional good songs and show up at bat on features but his albums are gonna be middle America chart and Grammy bait.

I totally agree. This is exactly what is most likely to happen. I just like to hope.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

This ones cool because every rapper is unique. I actually wasn't tired of a 10 minute song by the end, Jay Rock got cut off?
But the girl sucked.

Have you ever heard Secret Wars by Grayskul (feat. Oldominion)?

Probably my favorite posse cut ever, and my favorite album from a Seattle group ever. The album is a concept album based around Iron Age comic books so this last song every one of the MCs takes on a superhero alter-ego.

Here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0Hed1IUCWQ

MCs in order:
Onry Ozzborn
JFK a.k.a. Recleuse
Smoke M2D6
Bishop I
Barfly
Anaxagorus
NyQwil
Hyena
Sindel
Sleep
Pale Soul
Tremor
Mako
Destro Destructo
Snafu

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

farmtrill posted:

oh its def really cool, just cant resist a lil dig haha

can someone post raps about coffee?

really wanna hear someone rap about how great freshly ground coffee is. and xanax

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrsj653088E

It's kind of about coffee? haha...

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

Gaupo Guacho posted:

Not real rap but if can figure out knows what Bollywood song the vocals in this new Das Racist song are from it'd be cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnVJxaG25Vo

Why, pray tell, is Das Racist "not real rap"?

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

rear end in a top hat Frat Boy posted:

I wasn't talking about the youtube videos I was talking about Gibbs' CTE signing. I was just surprised nobody mentioned it yesterday, because Freddie Gibbs = "Real hip-hop"

I'm still confused. What makes certain hip-hop "real"?

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Any thoughts on the new Atmosphere album or Heavy Metal Kings (haven't listened to the whole album yet because I'm bumping "Children of God" on repeat)? I'm sorta enjoying The Family Sign, haven't totally absorbed it yet but I don't think I enjoy it as much as When Life Gives You Lemons or the recent EPs.

Also wondering if anyone liked Kill Devil Hills. I didn't really give it much of a chance, none of the songs seemed as good as Ill Bill's other albums.

The Family Sign is probably one of Atmosphere's better albums to me. It sounds like a halfway point between When Life Gives You Lemons and the earlier You Can't Imagine How Much Fun We're Having to me and it strikes the balance well.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman
If you like feel good sunny weather hip hop that sounds like it came out at least 10 years ago, my friends The Gnu Deal put out their mixtape today. Feel free to check it out if that kind of stuff is your thing:

http://thegnudeal.bandcamp.com/album/swaggeroni-steez

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman
What is the purpose of creating a label for you John Brown?

I'm just wondering because I know lots of people "who own their own label", and often times its a waste of time, money, and energy because without distribution and a great line-up it just means instead of having to build one brand as an artist you now have to build two.

Unless you have a lot of money or some really good investors starting a label from scratch with any hope of success is going to be really tough (and probably not worth your time).

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman
Last year on my birthday, my friends and I got together and decided to write and record an EP in one day. The EP actually became a full length project. I'm on five of these tracks, but I thought some of you might like it.

http://graves.bandcamp.com/album/1-day-to-live-compilation

If I had to suggest a couple highlights it would be 40 Days and Dusty Roads.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman
Cloudy Ocrober is dope. Iame is dope. I'm glad you were introduced to them.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't half of Grayskul because of an emergency though, because the other half is playing with his other group opening for Pharoahe Monch here right now, and the tour you went and saw was the Hold On For Dear Life tour which is the name of Onry's newest solo record, and as far as I know he did the whole tour without JFK.

Rob Castro was the bass player for Grayskul back in the Deadlivers era, but he hasn't really played with them for awhile now.

Grayskul is one of the most under appreciated acts on the Rhymesayers roster, so I'm glad to see that other people are into them, or their sub-groupings.

What's your suburb in Sacramento? I would love to play a show in the area next time I roll through on tour.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

warzero. posted:

yeah, i'm just going off of what they said, you're probably right though. either way onry was sick as gently caress and castro was a cool as dude for real. Iame had a real slug/eyedea vibe to his music which i liked a lot, and i got into sandpeople from this forum so it was a huge mindfuck seeing him live haha. cloudy was super impressive and an awesome guy. anyway, my suburb is called Woodland and it's basically 20 min from downtown sacto and like 15 minutes from davis. we have a bunch of bars that act as venues because we don't have any real venues haha.

Cool. I'm trying to come through in September/October. I will hit up those bars if I can.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

ASL NIGGA posted:

You from P-town?

I am from Seattle.

As for FOE from Denver, isn't he part of Blkhrts? That's probably my favorite rap to come out of Denver in awhile. I also dig Input quite a bit though.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman
Outkast - ATLiens
El-P - I'll Sleep When You're Dead
Organized Konfusion - Stress: The Extinction Agenda
Aesop Rock - Labor Days
Ice Cube - Death Certificate

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman
Anyone on here into Open Mike Eagle? He's one of my favorites coming up right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkQWs42FCL0

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

caveman thug poo poo posted:

The Senate (RIP) put me on to Open Mike Eagle a while back with his song Nightmares. I listened to it like 8 times in a row

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSf7RvaSS4A

that song you posted is loving nice too

Yeah, Nightmares is tight too. He's supposed to get on a track for my new album and I just recorded the rest of the track yesterday so I can't wait to hear what he does with it.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman
While I'm not a huge fan of Joell's rhyming capabilities. I do have to mention that out of Slaughterhouse, he's the only one who wasn't a total dick when I met them. So he gets points just for that.

I'm glad he's trying new stuff in his music and taking chances with it. I just think he should have honed all these angles before going public with them.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman
I put out a new EP. I produced the whole thing and did half the rapping. It's kind of a weird project with a lot of other genres folded in, but if you're into weirder rap you should check it out and let me know if you like it.

http://fatedempire.bandcamp.com

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman
I'm a huge fan of Despot and have been waiting for an album from that dude. I think my favorite verse though is the second dude from Das Racist's just for how off-the-wall and funny it is, while being totally self aware.

And I came here to post up the Nach Picasso + Blue Sky Black Death album but I see somebody beat me to it.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman
I'm going on tour again, if anybody is interested in checking out a show, here are the dates/cities:
9/29 - Seattle, WA at Chop Suey w/Sadistik, Kristoff Krane, No Bird Sing
9/30 - Mill Creek, WA at The Jet w/Boomzzilla and Trent Holliman
10/1 - Kingston, WA at The Filling Station w/ Graves 33 and Julie C.
10/2 - Olympia, WA at The Royal
10/3 - Medford, OR at Johnny B's
10/4 - Sacramento, CA at Zuhg Life (6:00pm, ALL AGES, FREE)
10/4 - Sacramento, CA at Marilyn's on K (8:00pm, 21+)
10/5 - Stockton, CA at The Plea For Peace Center (ALL AGES)
10/6 - Anaheim, CA at The Doll Hut
10/9 - Riverside, CA at Worthington's Tavern
10/11 - Las Vegas, NV at Las Vegas Country Saloon
10/16 - Denton, TX at Andy's Bar w/Infidelix, The Boombachs, Munster
10/20 - Springfield, MO at The High Life w/Trak Masta Tom
10/22 - Louisville, KY at The Highlands Taproom
10/26 - Minneapolis, MN at Cause
10/30 - Denver, CO at The Old Curtis St. Pub w/Proximity
11/3 - Boise, ID at The Shredder w/Arthur Maddox, Oso Negro, Juicy Karkass
11/4 - Eugene, OR at John Henry's
11/5 - Portland, OR at House Show (address coming soon)

I'll be filling in the holes over the next few days with some last minute shows, and also probably adding some house parties to the itinerary aware.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

Morphix posted:

What's your name? I find myself at Chop Suey once in a while, I'll check out a show.

My stage name is Sarx. The Chop Suey line-up is ridiculously stacked. Probably the best line-up I've been a part of in Seattle. My tour kick-off just happened to line-up with Kristoff Krane's tourdate in Seattle so we just combined them.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman
I know there's not a lot of people into this particular brand of hip hop here, but I thought I'd go ahead and link my group's first single.

http://fatedempire.bandcamp.com/track/boundaries-broken

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

Cool Buff Man posted:

I think most people here like bone thugs but this is a pretty nerdy attempt at biting it

I didn't know that Bone Thugs had the monopoly on tonal double-time. Especially since Freestyle Fellowship were doing it before they were and a lot of people even think that Bone Thugs bit that style from them.

Regardless, I appreciate the listen. I didn't think it would be popular here, but just in case one or two people liked it, I thought I would share.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

alansmithee posted:

Yeah the people who think that are all in Freestyle Fellowship.

Really if anyone can complain about Bone biting their style it's all the Memphis dudes from around that time.

I've met tons of people who think that who aren't even from the L.A. underground scene, let alone aren't in Freestyle Fellowship. I'm not saying I agree with it, because Freestyle Fellowship have done at least one track with just about every style of 4/4 rapping imaginable on it, so if that argument held weight pretty much everyone would be biting them at this point.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

xzoto1 posted:

I've been getting into Rap/Hip-Hop for the last year or so and I can't believe I have never discovered this guy. Holy poo poo this track is amazing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JHbUuWzVNE

The rest of his crew, Doomtree, are all pretty dope as well. They just put out an album called No Kings that is very very good. You might also want to check for some similar artists as these such as: Sadistik, Kristoff Krane, Ecid, Astronautalis, etc.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman
Awhile back I posted a single, I think somebody described it as me biting bone thugs in the nerdiest way possible. Anyway, there's a lot of other types of songs on the EP that single is for, which I just put up digitally tonight. Check it out if you want to listen to some "nerdy" poo poo or whatever.

http://fatedempire.bandcamp.com

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman
Cool, thanks for the listens dudes. Obviously my music is not for you, and that is okay.

Scorched Spitz, I'm big with the adolescent mall-goths so that's fair I suppose.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

temple posted:

I'm pretty sure anyone canonizing Thompson hasn't been near anywhere near a hood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8HcVzZm1E0

This is a pretty weird thought to have. I'm pretty sure you can be from the hood and still have read The Rum Diary dude. I don't know the dude that well, but I've met Nacho a number of times and have a few mutual friends/acquaintances, and I've never heard his credibility as far as being from the hood questioned, but he's also a very well-read guy. Its crazy how not everyone is a stereotype, right?

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

bows1 posted:

Freddie Gibbs video for Thuggin'

Drugs, Guns, Booty's. Its got it all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vbxcPy1qJTU

This song is so boring. Gangster rap used to be so much better than this.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

Perpetual Ascent posted:

Why do you feel this way

Super monotone delivery, that slurred lazy way of rapping that's just barely more coherent than mumbling. I understand that people love all these new "next-big-thing" blog rappers, and in truth I love some of them too (Danny Brown, Big K.R.I.T., Das Racist), but this dude is literally doing nothing special. If I want to hear raps about the same subject matter, which is admittedly pretty rare for me, rap's back catalog has already provided me with dozens of better options than this.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

Delivery's a little less monotonous. Subject matter is slightly less worn-out. Sound kind of reminds me of Cunninlynguist's A Piece of Strange album, which is a really good album, but I'm still not seeing anything that makes me think Freddie Gibbs is the best doing it or even close.

I mean, everyone's welcome to like what they want. I just don't think this guy is particularly special.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

Diodeous posted:

You can't try to convert people who come onto the internet to voice strong opinions that are only meant to be contrary and incendiary. You can post every song in Gibbs' discography, but if this guy is using A Piece of Strange as his reference point for discussing Gibbs then there is no point.

As for the discussion on Starlito, has anyone actually made it all the way through his musical yet? I've tried about 3 or 4 times at various levels of blunted, but I can't make it beyond 20 minutes. I've liked his mixtapes but watching him lip sync in FAMU gear gets a little boring. I swear someone on here was talking about how Starlito went to their high school in Memphis or Nashville, and supposedly it was a somewhat elite prep school.

I was relating it to a record I happen to like. I'm sorry that you find my opinion that Freddie Gibbs is average incendiary, but I think that's on you since I didn't say "Anyone who thinks this dude is dope has no business speaking on real hip hop" or something, I just said that I find older gangster rap more interesting, and it already thoroughly covered this subject matter. I wasn't being a dick about it, I was just saying I find him to be average.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

polpotpotpotpotpot posted:

I agree with you about that song specifically. Gibbs is sick over a good beat though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOkFZZFhwIE

This song is the best that I've heard. I like the rhyme pattern he rides for most of the song. I still don't think he's one of the best doing it, but this song is a banger for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman
Astronautalis' record was probably my favorite from last year. I doubt it will get much love around here though. Dude is a better performer than almost any other hip hop act I've ever seen too.

His record is barely hip hop though. I think it probably fits better in the indy rock section of a record store honestly.

• Locked thread