Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

His haunts are not confined to the valley, but extend at times to the adjacent roads...

phractured posted:

The OFWGKTA thread has more posts than the entire hip-hop thread. People ride them so hard.

You gonna be alright man?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

His haunts are not confined to the valley, but extend at times to the adjacent roads...

KidDynamite posted:

It's like a trainwreck I can't look away.

Edit: It gets better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMFsJiAcELY
http://youtu.be/BMFsJiAcELY

rockin in the club, catch me on an elephant

This is the greatest.

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

I'll be honest, I have no loving idea who this guy is, but apparently after a few years of the mixtape game he'll be putting out an LP sometime this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oriaCAoz5yU

Really great production on this track.

also yes i found this on 2db

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

dude shut the gently caress up about white people and massas and poo poo

jesus christ

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

cool, what i've heard off of SiC so far is good.

so this is something i never pictured coming out of my mouth but is it just me or is can a drummer get some... pretty decent? it definitely has its share of stinkers (the slaughterhouse, kid cudi & slash features to name a few) but tracks like if you want to, knockin, jump down, and raw poo poo are fun bangers. album isn't special or anything, but it's impressive, enough at least

Perpetual Ascent fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Aug 3, 2011

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

DividedFrame posted:

Judging by the recent posts here, I might be barking up the wrong tree, but I'm looking for some less-mainstream hip hop that has the same sound and feel as stuff like Kanye or Doomtree. Most of the names that I saw dropped lately (Ferrari Boyz, Royce) have, in my opinion, a really flat sound. The beat is the same throughout the entire song and there's nothing to really keep my interest, musically. And then the lyrics and videos are just guns and money, ad nauseum. It gets old pretty fast.

Other things I like: Eminem, Tech N9ne, Childish Gambino (hipster alert?), some Dre and Jay-Z.

Or if you want to take this opportunity to tell me how wrong I am :argh:, fire away.

hahaha

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

jsun posted:

Here's an interview of The Game where he gets instantly heated at the mention of Lil B.

http://read.mtvhive.com/2011/08/22/game-sees-r-e-d/

:roflolmao:

Ahahahaha oh god

Aye look man, gently caress you and Lil B. Eat a dick. Peace!

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

Well it's weezy's best album since TCII.

I like it.

e: To elaborate a little. this album's biggest problem is definitely wayne's verse structure and not just because of lines like "what goes around comes around like a hula hoop" or "i'm a monster, exorcisms - tote tools like mechanics, mechanisms", i mean that's been weezy's thing for quite a while now and i can dig his clever punchlines. that being said 90% of this album are bars like that and it's a little tiresome after a while. not enough to ruin the album though.

standout tracks: Megaman, Interlude, Abortion, So Special, I Like The View

e2: why the gently caress is shyne on this poo poo?

Perpetual Ascent fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 25, 2011

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

Is it really news to anyone that Wayne doesn't give a poo poo anymore? Wayne hasn't given a poo poo since TCIII dropped. The only poo poo he's put out worth listening to since 2008 is the No Ceilings mixtape.

TCIV may not break any ground or even be at all impressive, really, but it's still a much better offering from him when compared to poo poo like Rebirth, I Am Not A Human Being and Sorry 4 The Wait.

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

bakka bakka posted:

Your ears are broken.

I dunno man, he kinda sucks

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

farmtrill posted:

so dmx is as dmx as ever http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMuZTvL8QR0

holy poo poo this is so good

i'm so surprised

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

I'm loving hooked on Freddie Gibbs. Two things:

1. Is his album with Statik Selektah on the same level as his two mixtapes?
2. Anyone out there like Gibbs? I love krit but I'm burnt out on him :(

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

dethkon posted:

Gibbs

Cool post

Yeah, I had been hooked on Gibbs since I heard Miseducation but after Midwest it really became a problem. I have both Str8 Killa and Str8 Killa No Filla and they're both great.

Thanks for the Str8 Slammin' rec, hadn't heard of it before and it sounds like it's the poo poo

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

alansmithee posted:

Tupac is just a stupider 50 Cent. Tupac was too busy going to art school and dancing early in his career, so had to pretend to be a superthug when he was actually getting real money and got shot by real thugs (and wasn't talented/smart enough to have a career w/o that thug image). 50 Cent actually WAS a "thug", but quit doing that poo poo when he was actually making money. He only started poo poo with people he KNEW wouldn't do poo poo back and now gets to live however the gently caress he wants in a mansion. I'm pretty sure he also sold more than Tupac and therefore was more popular and better than (although Eminem is better than both, because he sold even more). Now the national stage is theirs, and Tupac is dead. Check And Mate.

As for when the last time I heard a Tupac song anywhere was, I'd say outside of "California Love" his music isn't really played much anymore I'm ever at. That song was still getting some play 2 or so years ago though (in that it wasn't surprising to hear it in a set).

Holy poo poo

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

Gibbs talk - drat, B.A.N.ned goes

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

Anyone listen to Pac Div? Admittedly I only know them from rap blogs but they've dropped a few good tracks recently. They're dropping a 12-song, LP-length EP on the 8th and you can hear the snippets here.

Oh and here's two of the songs they've dropped or something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WsQlfW28q0

this is goofy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATlFIF1jA8g

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

ostesaks posted:

woooooooohoooooo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP-vA7KzPjM

poo poo, i might be becoming a pac div stan because this poo poo bangs

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

maniacripper posted:

New Mac Miller is good too. Unleash your disapproval you fat, hating-rear end goons!

no actually. you know i actually kind of hosed with donald trump but his album is loving wack. also the first 5 songs are all singles? never seen that before

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

That new Luda tape bangs yall. I'm not feeling 2 Chainz like a lot of people are right now but his feature on here is dope.

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

Guderian posted:

First time posting in this thread (which is a great thread). Thought I'd actually take the time to contribute. This is a Seattle area rapper who recently released a new mixtape for free. Here is the review that sold me on it.

This is a pretty good summary. His music is not that complex or technically proficient, but he has some hilarious punchlines and his music seems pretty original to me. You should check it out and give it a chance, because his music really grew on me. Hopefully someone gets some enjoyment out of his music besides me.

Blue Sky Black Death on the beats? Sold without even listening

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

onefish posted:

Any recommendation on other great BSBD productions? I'm enjoying For the Glory--I like rap by dudes who like playing with words--but especially liking the beats.

Check out Slow Burning Lights

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

Yall hear that Madlib/Gibbs tape yet? Well it's more like two tracks and two beats but it's sick.

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

some terrible Machine Gun Kelly song got a spot in a new HTC rezound commercial

this was the one white boy i was sure wouldn't make it :smith:

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

Scorched Spitz posted:

So I finally jumped on the Big K.R.I.T. bandwagon and downloaded Return of 4Eva. He's a decent enough emcee, but he really shines as a producer.

Sorry for the poo poo post but i didn't really like return of 4eva. krit wuz here is really good though and i'm not exactly sure why i like one and not the other. maybe return is a bit more production-centric than it is rapping or something.

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

Huh, for some reason i thought that the Live From Gary, Indiana gibbs tapes were actual live recordings so i never listened to them

And that was stupid. poo poo bangs

e: Sorry for lovely new year post

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

Hey is meek mill good? I think I heard he's good or something and his feature on TI's new tape was pretty good so maybe he's worth checking out.

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

farmtrill posted:

his dreamchasers mixtape is a pretty good representation of his new (lil rozay) sound so check that out

well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HDDafuqhKM bangs but i dunno about the rest of the tape. only had one good rozay feature which was odd

e: which was the song right after this one, Ima Boss

Perpetual Ascent fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 6, 2012

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

alansmithee posted:

Please quit posting non-English rap that stuff is universally garbage. Thanks a lot.

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

Sarx posted:

This song is so boring. Gangster rap used to be so much better than this.

Why do you feel this way

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

Harley C posted:

ah thanks, try this :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5MB8ctd8ak

whoops excuse my poo poo post. but this blows

Perpetual Ascent fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 29, 2012

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

Harley C posted:

Did I say 'gently caress your opinion' to him or did I just critique the use of the word horrible as excessive but even then follow that by saying taste is subjective.

actually you argued that the song wasn't horrible simply because of its chart position or something

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

Bulging Nipples posted:

Waka

Waka is the poo poo. Unironically i might add. Here are some other buck rear end Waka songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1LCmeYOB-4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBDc1EkUS0s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeO7nVifhHY

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

That Jump Out joint is insane

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXmo0zsG3q0

never heard of this dude til a few days ago and i don't even remember how that happened. pretty cool poo poo though, rest of the mixtape isn't bad either. you can listen to it on soundcloud i think

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

So here's a dumb question - do most people prefer the original Dead Presidents or the album version? I always thought that the second one was held in really high regard but I think I might have it mixed up.

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

Agreed posted:

I'd like to hear more rap out of Alabama

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0eHPdd0pX4

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

UP AND ADAM posted:

I wouldn't agree that he's gotten better at all. I think he's gotten worse in every conceivable facet of rapping, personally. I thought that it was an awesome question, and also I was thinking "where did this kind of mainstream scrutiny of hip-hop come from." Maybe I didn't make that clear.

He's better because he sells more records and makes more money than before.

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

The Rooster posted:

Also, Freddie Gibbs dropped one with TI and Jeezy, http://www.sharebeast.com/l0613rijqrml , which makes me wonder, does anyone have an ETA for Babyfacekilla?

I like everyone on the track but poo poo that chorus is just loving obnoxious.

I really want to like it :(

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

farmtrill posted:

oh i havent heard it yet, more just referring to the fact its streaming on npr, which says a lot. entering roots-levels of adult contemporary rap

haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

farmtrill posted:

e:oh and when all my dudes get done crying over the downfall of def jux + tribe, get back to 2012 and realise that the new FLOCKA is out there! oh man oh man oh man oh man

Holy poo poo i've been waiting for dude's followup to flockaveli for what seems like forever. Here's hoping it isn't poo poo

e: clean

Perpetual Ascent fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jun 7, 2012

• Locked thread