Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I would go to a Kreyshawn show where she just did Gucci Gucci for like 45 minutes because that song on repeat was basically how I spent summer 2011.

Has she had any good tunes since then? I've listened to a few of her tracks as they came out and they were just so boring :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

snyprmag posted:

I love deathgrips (and have been a huge Zach Hill fan for a long time too) but they already get a poo poo ton of popular press compared to the other discordant, yelling based rap out there

Is that really an actual genre? I was kinda blown away when I listened to a few of the tracks off No Love Deep Web just because it sounded legitimately sinister (though once I actually learned to understand MC Ride's voice it lost a lot of that, since those lyrics are kinda garbage :v:), unlike any other rap I've heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iZZ16QUAjQ

It succeeds at doing what a ton of gimmicky artists have tried before by using weird-rear end beats and tons of distortion instead of really loving dumb lyrics about serial killing and whatnot. I wouldn't count myself as a fan or anything, but I'm not aware of anything else that sounds like them.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Farm Frenzy posted:

Death grips are alright but I can get my weird shouty rap and instrumentals better elsewhere.

Mind posting bands/links? I honestly haven't heard much else like them :shobon:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Harley C posted:

I saw death grips live the other day and it was one of the best live performances I've ever heard. The songs are so much better and they destroy the stage. By the end the snare had massive dents in it and was on the ground, at parts he was hitting the drums with his fists too. To the people who don't think it is rap, it certainly was more rap than the weak kanye west impersonation childish gambino put on afterwards.

Not that I was planning on seeing them anytime soon, but I'm still glad to hear that. I like their albums well enough but the Youtube videos of their performances have been atrocious, and I wasn't sure how much of that was them and how much of it was cameraphone mic quality - a lot of the drumming just didn't seem to "fit" with the music. Either I'm not watching the right videos, or they managed to get it together recently.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

for anyone mad about rap Grammys, just look at the awards for "rock". apparently the best rock song of the year was a gimmick track with Paul McCartney, and the best album was a led zeppelin live album.

basically the Grammys are comically irrelevant, and not just when it comes to rap. the Grammys are a window into "popular" music that doesn't actually exist outside of top 40 radio and network television, so no, fuckin problems or new slaves was never gonna win anything

• Locked thread