Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
Food and Liquor 2 is out there. It's aight so far, preachy lupe. But I like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

alansmithee posted:

On the Lupe stufhink Lamborghini Angels is my fav, but there's some other decent tracks. And yeah his content is a bit better (although if you actually suffer through and listen, a lot of the Lasers stuff isn't bad raps or content, it's just the corny production) but it's still a disappointment. And I don't even think it's just the electropop sounding stuff, it's that there's all this dumb singing over everything and it's supposed to be epic or something and it just sounds generic and bad.

Yeah, pretty much this. It seems like every other hook is supposed to be lupe beating his chest yelling at the sky in the rain or something. Lupe's still strong lyrically but the whole thing just seems devastatingly average. There are some worthwhile tracks though. Still not a worthy "sequel" to F&L. I don't think he will ever put out anything near as good as The Cool or F&L ever again. Bummer.

And on top of all that Lupe's wholier then thou persona has grown kind of annoying even though I agree with a lot of his politics.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

this is scary he needs to lay off the powders. Rap can't lose DMX right now :(

hobbez fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 21, 2012

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

That I don't want him to go to jail or die? He's constantly wasted. What do you think?

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Cool Buff Man posted:

I think you should get "off the powders" if you think rap can't lose DMX right now :(

I just meant I don't want him to hurt himself

NAH THE GAME NEEDS X

I didn't mean it like that.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Clique, clique, clique, clique

they want the... they want theeee

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

GKMC is solid so far. Might prefer Section 80 though. Still, it's good, and it will take more time for me to figure it all out.

How do you people listen to Gucci. :colbert:

E: Like check out this listening session. Gucci looks like literally the only person feeling his music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL6MLSJhfTs

hobbez fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 18, 2012

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

GKMC is probably a classic concept album. It's not illmatic, but it was never going to be. Kendrick is definitely his own breed. The mixture of everyday quirkiness, street life, and introspection is awesome.

This verse sums up a lot of album.

quote:

Hot sauce in my Top Ramen, ya bitch
Parked the car and then we started rhyming, ya bitch
The only thing we had to free our mind
Then freeze that verse when we see dollar signs

Just awesome. Comparisons to MBDTF are pretty accurate imo. It's like the hood version of that album or something. Take out the money, the cars, and the success in general, you might get GKMC.

On a song by song basis, Section 80 might be stronger. Anyone that flips through the clips on itunes will probably be disappointed. None of the choruses catch me like Ronald Reagen Era or even ADHD did, so I was initially dissapointed. But Kendrick is going for something different here I think, and it works better as a whole.

also my friend works at a record store where kendrick did a signing recently and apparently he was kind of a dick

hobbez fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 19, 2012

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Wezlar posted:

I think anyone comparing GKMC to MBDTF is reaching pretty drat far

NAH

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

farmtrill posted:

its the one rap album non rap fans will listen to this year you cant really blame them for trying to relate it to the one rap album they listened to last year, 2010, whatever

Thats not me homie. Its a bit of a stretch but i still think the comparison works. Sonically, theyre very different, and kdot n yeezy are very different rappers, but both albums explore a lifestyle though two very different ones.

Or maybe not

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

FIRE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWyHZNBz6FE

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Why isn't cartoons and cereal on the album. Is it because it's too old at this point? Cuz that would probably be a top three, if not the, strongest track on the album. It k-dot at his best imo.

Also the cocaine biceps review of GKMC is the best. Thats one of his best Drake tares in a while.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Doctor Tupac posted:

Kid Meero (who is one of the funniest dudes ever, his blog has made my stomach hurt from laughing)

:cry: Thank you for this I did not know of this amazing person :cry:

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

temple posted:

Point being, there are far more listeners than are easily grouped into conscious versus trap/dipset/whatever ignorance is popular. Which is why it is so annoying for people spend so much time trying to write off GKMC by discussing who they think are his fans instead the actual album. The only criticism of his music I've read is
1) the beats are trash
2) he does weird voices

Rap music has this weird god-complex, hero worship poo poo embedded into the culture. In most other genres, I feel like you can release an album and just it is what it is amongst the fanbase. But nah, rap releases need to "CHANGE THE GAME YO, IM TALKIN STRAIGHT FIRE WE BE KILLIN IT UP IN HERE THE ALBUM CRAZY KNADADAMEAN".

This is compounded by some serious sepia-rear end nostalgiaization of albums past. Mother fuckers will seriously defend their list of "classics" and will fight to the death if anyone wants to annoint a newcomer. But the whole argument if an album is a classic is so loving arbitrary. Nah we can't just take a great album for what it is we immediately need to throw it up against the illmatics and reasonable doubts of the world. Does a great rock album today need to immediately be compared to the Beatles? No.

Much of the rap community has seriously fetishized the GOAT mentality and they are hungry as gently caress for the next tupac or nas or whatever, that blend of rawness and intelligence, and this is kind of manifesting itself in the GKMC release I think.

And bitch I love it.

hobbez fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 29, 2012

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Kendrick drops a new track today, it's dope. Also album sales estimated at ~242,000 :dance:

http://rapradar.com/2012/10/30/kendrick-lamar-debuts-high-on-charts/

hobbez fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 31, 2012

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

If you like Sean P this is a must watch. Fuckin hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMZgLf220ro

"Yo son, Popeyes is closed."

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Bstyles posted:

SOmeone was asking about good trap music in this thread, Armstrong. Check this dude out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yGzHTWxdHM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynne68fqlNo

EDIT: I've been thinking about making a thread about meeting "Armstrong" or maybe a story in this thread about this guy(met him in prison). It'd be an alright story to tell perhaps.

Make a thread please

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Boywhiz88 posted:

To lighten the mood: Nardwuar vs Waka Flocka Flame! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRcfiZmwQtg

I think we can agree that Nardwuar vs Chief Keef would be awesome. Just due to how awkward it'd be.

Waka seems like a really chill dude in every interview i've seen with him.

E: And supporting artists like Chief or Lil Reese is a moral hazard in that it encourages that sort of behavior in other young Chicagoans. It does. In fact by doing so we endorse it.

So steal that poo poo like i do. :filez:

Sosa is not getting anywhere near my :20bux:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

het posted:

NMD is much much more relaxed about mentioning piracy than other forums but the Look At Me I'm The Cool Guy Pirating Music shtick is always and forever lame.

I pay for a lot of my music, I'm just saying no way my hard earned dollars are going to Keef of all people.

E:

the black husserl posted:

So it doesn't have anything to do with their musical/lyrical content and is really about stuff that rappers say about themselves on twitter/gossip blogs? Makes sense, but I'm never going to be interested in that stuff.

No, the musical/lyrical content is really important. In GKMC, Kendrick sounds repentent, and struggles with his city's culture of violence. He never entirely condones or condemns it, but narrates and reflects on it. Keef blatantly condones and encourages it.

It doesn't help when you compound that with Keef and Co.'s history of mocking gun violence and beating women though.

hobbez fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 13, 2012

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Yeah man it's hosed up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf4ec6IX6ms

Lil Reese is considered one of the more talented in Keef's crew. I think he's signed to interscope still.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Hahaha mos def is relentless.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

doctor thodt posted:

Wow Wiz's new album is impressively bad.

My roommate was bumping this earlier and it was painful. He also played that french montana ochocinco song and holy gently caress do i hate that song

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Ironically NMD Raps is probably the deepest NMD thread.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

1 train knocks pretty hard i dunno what yall are sayin.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

What's wrong with atmosphere? He's alright.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Incorrect Username posted:

I saw him two nights ago and he was great. Nothing overly spectaclular or energetic but if the crowd is digging it, you should too. Except a lot of Section 80 in the first half and some GKMC in the second half. He really seemed genuinely happy to be there. If you get a good crowd you should have a great time. Expect a lot of sing-a-longs for choruses too.

Hahaha honestly how he kept repeating the choruses and telling the crowd to join in got kind of annoying but overall it was a good show.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

I am so over this dude. "Somebody tell MF Doom lets make an album" Shut the gently caress UP SON you make an album how about that. I know it's supposed to be done but this dude has been stringing his fan base along for like three years. The last thing I can remember from this guy was that loving mountain dew commercial and that call of duty track smh.

i just want da alllbummm

But that list is supposed to be ironic right? He just listed off like the top 25 most popular rappers around right now. "Big Sean detroit tape is album of the year" Like he gotta be kidding right.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

What is a "boutique" rapper?

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Kim is pregnant yall.

18 years, 18 years
she got one of your kids
she got you for 18 years.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

This is really nice. kind of reminds me of big L with the wordplay and general feel.

Is Joey Bada$$ usually this decent? Maybe I'll check him out.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Varg posted:

Saw G-Eazy last night in NYC with Skizzy Mars and Ground Up.. too much fun, G puts out some of the only rap I can listen to over and over.. helps that he makes all his own beats too

if you've never heard.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArKO9XsWRNU

"I got that ocean type swag bitch, I'm "eel".

It's harmless I guess but that one song is pretty boring.

I only like rap that leaves destroys everything in it's way!

hobbez fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 7, 2013

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Temple you post like a rap radar troll.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

the black husserl posted:

I accidentally clicked on the "battle rap" thread and I'm so shocked and confused. There's like this whole universe of something I can't understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLxQMjax4ic

Wack mountains beyond wack mountains...

Proclick

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Drunken Lullabies posted:

You know, I thought all Atmosphere fans were dorky white guys with mustaches until I actually saw them and noticed there were more Not White people there than most rap shows.

Believe it or not it's the artists that try really hard to fit racial stereotypes that pull in the whitest crowds
example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcOUw4fYGnM

Like seriously go see some garbage rear end blackface-level rapper live and tell me with a straight face that Atmosphere has whiter fans. I skimmed a few pages and I'd say a solid half of the artists you guys talk about in here have a whiter fanbase.

Basically my point is that white kids are attracted to poo poo rap like they were flies, and Atmosphere fans aren't as white and nerdy as you'd think. (and seriously look at some of those white people in that video I linked.)

This is so bad. What the gently caress are you talking about. You don't think any white people like Gorilla Zoe?

Most rap concerts I go to are pretty racially diverse considering I live in a pretty white state. Everyone likes good music you weirdo.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

GUYS GUYS GUYS

Proof jay-z reads yo nmd raps. He posted this via Rap Radar today

Hov posted:

A word from Hov

Last night I performed at the University of Arizona, I had a ball!! Through all the excitement and joking around (as well as the technical difficulties) I missed out on the opportunity to say something important..

On the show as well were Third Eye Blind and Kelly Clarkson.. I thought that to be the oddest pairing EVER but, soon realized, it’s what I’ve always professed..There is NO such thing as BLACK music or WHITE music only GOOD or BAD music..It’s stupid cool to like things that are not like you, and that goes for outside of music.. If you’re an African American you can have a jewish friend. Wait, does Lyor having some Israeli mixed with his jewish count? (Sure they are paranoid but, so are black people after they’ve smoked weed, haaaaa, and plus the JEW fro and the BLUEprint fro are the SAME thing.)

I think concerts like this should happen more often. ( Outside of the one or 2 festivals a year or “Zootopia”) I’m putting that into the universe..next up Taylor Swift and Uncle Murda!!

Sorry I don’t “Tweet” (do I?) so this will have to do..

Love.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

That one fool with the afro avatar that keeps posting the link to wefunk is right this site is the poo poo just so you know. Thanks bro.

http://www.wefunkradio.com/show/2012-11-23#play_aa

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

caveman thug poo poo posted:

really surprised (pffft) to only see two other mentions of CZARFACE cause holy moly its great..

I initially gave it a quick once-over and wasn't impressed but I'm listening to it now with headphones and yeaah man.. I can deal with this

has 7L always been this retarded? i know Esoteric and Deck well enough but 7L is impressive here for sure

This seems to bang thanks for the headsup.

I don't even know who 7l and esoteric areeee but obviously i know the inspectah so it's all good.

I don't understand the hate on macklamore not all rap music needs to be agressive.

hobbez fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Mar 6, 2013

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Ok so what Danny Brown album should I get.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

YUMMY. Nice raps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp09snLms5E

Jay also really sold drugs for many years on the streets so it's hard to begrudge his success.

hobbez fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

asap-salafi posted:

I don't get future. Tried a few of his mixtapes but he just sounds like someone with a voice impediment to me. Can someone put into words what exactly is so amazing about him?

Shhh. Just get lost in the sensational warbling of a real musician. Don't ask too many questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIrhcTkHX_A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djE-BLrdDDc

This is 2AM music

"I wanna tell the world about you just so they can get jealous..."

• Locked thread