Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Just listened to Dedication 4, poo poo is pretty disappointing. After the abomination that was the Carter IV I don't know why I expected anything else. It is pretty clear that Dedication 2 will now go down as Wayne's best mixtape of his career. Am I missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

doctor thodt posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9DMMSkRNg8

How can you not like Big Sean? Seriously.

His mixtape drops tomorrow at 6 btw.

No, seriously, how could you like him?

Edit: also thanks to those who pointed out "Da Drought 3" - dunno how I missed this. I like this better than Dedication 2 - same high quality Wayne verses, minus the obnoxious amount of DJ Drama drops. Drama does pick nice beats though generally.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 5, 2012

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Perpetual Ascent posted:

I used to hate Big Sean and i still wouldn't go out of my way to check something of his out but i tend to dig his guest features. Mercy and Burn are two of my favorites in that regard

His spot on Mercy is tolerable. I really think working with Kanye brings the best out of guests (even 2 Chainz drops a pretty good verse on Mercy). I don't think I could listen to an entire mixtape/album of Big Sean though.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
That Goldeneye Caverns track is just begging to be sampled though... wow.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Tremendous Taste posted:

What should I look for from Q, I'm not familiar?

All of the obnoxiously bad spelling gimmicks and alternating caps that I thought we had left behind in the 90s but he seems determined to resurrect...

Seriously though Q is pretty good, check out his mixtape Habits and Contradictions. Also he is all over that A$AP Rocky mixtape (LiveLoveASAP?)

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

animal drums posted:

Actually he was on one song on it, for one verse.

I was highly confused throughout that entire post... sorry about that. I'm still not sure what I was thinking of as Schoolboy Q isn't featured on very many songs outside of his own mixtapes.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I'm kinda digging the beat on "The Diet" - has this producer Cylla done anything else?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
"I'm Back" was a decent T.I. song but besides that and maybe his verse on Big Boi's album (Tangerine) nothing recent of his comes to mind as being "quality" or anywhere near the calibre of his earlier pre-prison work. He was already in decline before the prison sentence IMO. Am I missing anything?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
As someone new to Freddie Gibbs (BFK is my first tape of his and I like it - a lot) what are some of his best tracks considered? Getting that Miseducation tape now...

edit: nvm, answered my own question about Datpiff. Thanks for all the Gibbs recommendations! \/\/\/\/

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 27, 2012

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Muck and Mire posted:

I think it's the premier example of vaporware at this point, Duke Nukem and Chinese Democracy actually did come out

Yep and they are good cautionary tales.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Can someone run down the notable TDE/Black Hippy releases from this year besides Habits & Contradictions?

ninja edit: I think the production on Schoolboy Q's album is pretty top notch...

\/\/\/\/ agree re: BFK, I actually made this post because I have utterly worn out that tape since it came out and need some new stuff to listen to.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 6, 2012

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Any idea if tickets are available for the RZA show in Atlanta? Isn't GZA playing here this week also?

Kanye produced this Pusha T/Future track? The beat is kinda meh for a Ye production, like he phoned it in, but I like the song overall. I think Future makes it for me.

edit: btw I heard RZA is doing a signing at Criminal Records... possibly a performance also. It says on their site you need a ticket... not sure if they're talking about a ticket to the Vinyls how but probably.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 10, 2012

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Blade Leader posted:

Is Macklemore the new official rapper that white people like?

Well he did an AMA on Reddit so... yes? Personally I had never heard of him before until this thread.

Bob NewSCART posted:

What mixtape is "Oh I" by lil wayne off of? and what else of his poo poo sounds like this song because holy

It's on this tape and maybe others?

edit: For other Weezy songs like that.. a lot of the stuff from like Dedication 2/Da Drought 3 era sounds like that imho. So circa 2006-2007 when he was still trying.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 11, 2012

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Big Boi's live show was good when I saw him at Bonnaroo a couple years ago. He had a band so it wasn't just him and a handful of mediocre hype-men on stage. But yeah most major artist rap shows are horrendous. I like going to see battle raps at a local club though, best way to see live stuff like that imho.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
And a lot of them are still putting out really high quality stuff, especially Ghostface and Raekwon on the rap front and RZA on the production front. Then there is Method Man's acting career, he was actually really great on the Wire (whether or not that qualifies as 'acting' is another debate though).

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I dunno, I loved the Clipse too but I think Pusha has gotten better at rapping in general. Especially on some of the verses he has put out under the watchful eye of Kanye.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

OH WORD SON posted:

obviously i had no idea young jeezy sent someone to rob gucci mane or gucci killed that person.

welp

welp, you're an idiot. That did happen like 7 years ago though.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

the black husserl posted:

What is with this? We could link you to a hundred fire tracks but its obvious you'll still have the same ignorant opinion. Here we go anyway: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzWbJYAS-r8

Gucci has been all over the map quality wise throughout his career... but yeah I will not stand by and have him slandered as "a loving horrible rapper" either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZx0nm1ghCg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIEpif82k0E (bah nevermind the quality sucks on this and I couldn't find a better version)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5P4yKFk-nI

edit: also on the track linked in the post above
edit 2: the two other parts (part 3 of which is 7 pages) of that BMF story and a nice chart Creative Loafing put together just in case anyone missed it -

Chart of the players in case Jacob the Jeweler was involved in
Part I
Part II
Part III

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 17, 2012

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Trap God is pretty tight so far despite the terrible 1017 drops at the beginning of a few songs. Nice production on what I've heard.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I assume everyone here already knows what Gucci is referring to when he says zone 6 but just in case...

edit: \/\/\/\/ yeah zone 6 is pretty much all of the parts of East Atlanta that fall under APD jurisdiction. Most of eastside is Dekalb county (and a different police department) but people from Decatur and such still tend to rep Zone 6. gently caress the technicalities. T.I. and Jeezy are westside... probably zone 1. Or 3. Somebody will have to correct me on that. Anyway, all the zones are pretty hard except 2 and 5.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 18, 2012

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Blah after finishing Trap God it is actually kinda meh... I like a few of the songs but there is way too much mediocre-to-bad stuff in the mix. I guess I need to get on that Kendrick leak.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Oh poo poo ya'll were not kidding about GKMC. As was pointed out earlier in the thread, Hit-Boy's production on Backstreet Freestyle is so dope.

edit: as is the extended version of Swimming Pools

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 18, 2012

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Though it has lots of great moments I agree after a couple listens that GKMC is kind of a chore to get all the way through because of all the Churchy filler (which IMHO is very boring). I will be skipping the end of a lot of songs as a result.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Every time I hear "Real" off GKMC I can't help but think of how much the synth on the beat reminds me of "Excuse Me Miss" I'm warming up to the album but I still think there is way too much filler. They could have left 'Sing About Me' intact as is and cut the rest of the filler sections and it would've been a much tighter album IMHO. Also the Drake feature is terrible, cut that song as well.

Rap artists shouldn't be afraid to release <60 min albums (GKMC minus bonus clocks in at 1h8m).

edit: Funny thing I just noticed, MBDTF is also 1h8m (actually 16 seconds longer). It has its fair share of filler too but I think stuff like the Chris Rock section, the vocoder solo, the extended instrumental section on Devil in a New Dress seem to fit a little bit better in the context of the album. Still hate the Nicki intro though.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 20, 2012

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I think the comparison kinda works because of the introspective nature of the two albums. They're both pretty maximalist in terms of style and production. Dense and substantive, they both utilize in-depth themes in the way they examine the harsh realities of life. The picture painted is more gritty and at times visceral than most major label rap -- for lack of a better word: more realistic. It isn't all just idolizing the money and women; Kendrick seems to rap more cautiously around those subjects while considering how the thug mentality/lifestyle can weigh heavily on one's soul.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
What's with this compulsion to compare GKMC to other albums anyway?

I begrudgingly agree with Bstyles, as much as I like GKMC: Outkast (especially ATLiens/Aquemini-era) > Kendrick, and by a huge loving margin

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

UP AND ADAM posted:

Has anyone who didn't like GKMC come around on it? I like Aquemini and Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, but this album didn't seem to have any specifically good songs, unlike those albums. I was just wondering if I should keep listening to see if I change my mind.

I wasn't wild about it at first but I have come around to it. I like most of the songs, I think the standouts have already been pretty much identified as: Backseat Freestyle, Money Trees, Swimming Pools, and M.A.A.D City. There isn't really an especially weak song except for the Drake one.

Also I don't think it holds a candle to Aquemini or MBDTF (but to be fair it is only his 2nd album).

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Bstyles posted:

I hate how you say "worst" rappers in the game right now. I hate all those musicians you listed too but those guys are what most people listen to nowadays as rap as rap goes and they're making millions? :confused:

Just FYI, here is what we'd be stuck with if we let what "people listen to nowadays as rap" dictate the terms of what is good and what is bad.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Robert Analog posted:

Yeah look at those good songs by good artists people in this thread like, gently caress the mainstream. I only listen to real hip-hop like Atmosphere.

Thanks for putting a bunch of words in my mouth. I was just pointing out how limited the mainstream charts are, since they're missing all the artists/tracks that people here have been raving about lately: Kendrick Lamar, Freddie Gibbs, Gucci Mane, Ab-Soul, Schoolboy Q, etc.

I never said they weren't good songs by good artists (I like almost all of them, but come on, Mercy and Turn On the lights in the top 10 still?). I actually love pop music in general. I'm definitely not one of those overly pretentious rap fans that you seemed to be picturing when you made that post.

edit: I guess to be fair, Swimming Pools is at #14 this week.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 23, 2012

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

temple posted:

I think Donald Glover is somewhere crying listening to GKMC. He thinks he's making that kind of hiphop.

Lol yes that is so true. God I hate people who think Donald Glover is good at rapping.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I knew Bstyles was an idiot when he was trying to get people on here from Atlanta together at the Varsity a while back. Also I'm guessing he isn't actually from here because nobody would be stupid enough to say n-word casually.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Bstyles posted:

I can't stop listening to Kendrick Lamars new album. So good.

We're all so fortunate you came back after that totally unjust banning to post this loving deep rear end insight.

PS growing up with black people doesn't give you license to say that word. Even if your alleged "black friends"
say it is ok, that doesn't mean you can go to any public place and start using it and expect not to be called out for being an idiot/piece of poo poo.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I like most of the rap tracks from the OST, haven't checked out the score yet. I'm listening to it on Spotify, a few songs are blacked out (such as White Dress and the Wiz track). It is good to hear from Method Man again, but I was hoping to hear more RZA production, especially on the Wu stuff. Not very familiar with Frank Dukes but he did a good job anyway. Some of those beats even sound like RZA joints especially "Six Directions of Boxing."

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
The only tracks I would skip are Poetic Justice and maybe Real. Oh and the ends of lots of tracks that devolve into MORE voicemail messages. It is a pretty stacked album otherwise but far from perfect. The Dre verse on 'Compton' is pretty bad and feels out-of-place/tacked on but K dot and the Just Blaze beat make up for it.

The bonus tracks are pretty high quality and fill the gaps, especially 'The Recipe' - I get that it doesn't really fit with the story of the album but it would've been nice to put on anyway.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

quote:

I'M NOT MAD AT IT BUT IT'S DEFINITELY PUSSY EATING IN THE CABANA TUNEZ B.

Lol. Also he lays in Dre pretty well for that weak rear end (allegedly ghostwritten by Kendrick?) verse on Compton. And dude does have a point about some of Kendrick's more obnoxious/gimmicky flows. The writing style is meant to be like that btw... it isn't a "serious review."

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
It is hard to take white people wearing 'Thug Life' gear seriously (regardless of how 'thug' they really are) but that's all I'm gonna say cause it's pretty unfair to judge rap when you can't understand the lyrics.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Yeah you know it just isn't the same if I haven't personally seen dude bagging up work like right in front of my eyes and gone on a drive-by with him through Compton or another popular urban area certified "hard" by SA forum members who have most def been there. Basically if Bstyles doesn't think the rapper ages like fine cognac I don't really gently caress with em because authenticity.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Robert Analog posted:

I'm sorry but you guys are dumb if you don't see the appeal of someone with an actual story to tell over someone like Drake making poo poo up to get away from his upper-class Toronto suburb silver spoon degrassi acting youth.

I don't think anyone is denying the allure of someone rapping about hard street poo poo who you also know has hard street credentials. But on the other hand, I don't enjoy Drake, Rick Ross, Jadakiss, and the like any less because of their real life histories. Shrug. It isn't a requirement to be a talented rapper I guess is what I'm saying.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Re: Gunplay I don't really get the hype either. I've only heard 601 & Snort and yeah there's a couple bangers there but overall I thought it was pretty average. What are his best tracks supposed to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

GET MONEY posted:

Why would you list Jadakiss there?

I was referring to this interview I read a long rear end time ago on Jada from when he had just gotten hot in the early 2000s. He was talking about how he exaggerates in his music: especially about violence and killing. Anyway I just tried to dig it up but i couldnt find poo poo so its either been scrubbed really thoroughly from the internet or I was thinkin of some other rapper. I know Jada has a few lil weed charges and a gun charge on his record so whatever I guess that makes him thug... Not really though cause many fools these days, rap game or otherwise, have that type of sheet.

• Locked thread