Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

Cobra Commander posted:

Listening to Oneirology for the first time, I'm about halfway through Predormitum and it's pretty cool so far. I'm a fan of backpacker Rhymesayers stuff so this should be pretty up my alley right?

Yea, I think Oneirology might be on par with SouthernUnderground. It's a solid album all the way through, with the stretch of Hard As They Come, Murder, My Habit, and Get Ignorant being amazing. I had my mind blown a few years ago when I was getting into hip-hop and discovered Atmosphere, CunninLynguists, Dilated Peoples, Jedi Mind Tricks, etc, since it perfectly satisfies my need for hip-hop that I can listen to while studying or driving. I've also been informed that I should go back and listen to early Mos Def and Talib Kweli, which I've been putting off for way too long. I do have Black Star though -- that album loving owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Roymega posted:

Definitely.. And if you haven't already, check out Kno's solo project released back in October -- Death Is Silent

Can't praise that album enough

Thanks for the recc -- I had no idea this even existed, and it's killer. I also just found out that Kno and Tonedeff are collaborating for an album due out this year, which should be awesome. Tondeff's verse on Love Ain't has some of the smoothest, fastest flow I've ever heard.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

After the Joe Budden discussion on the last page, I picked up Padded Room. This poo poo is amazing -- his flow is amazing. I had never heard In My Sleep until it came up, and it floored me.

What else should I pick up by him? Wiki lists a few digital albums and four mixtapes -- how many of those are worth grabbing?

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Who Gotch Ya posted:

This reminds me, if anyone hasn't seen Killa Season, go try to find it now. That poo poo is loving hilarious.

He flips poo poo crazy on this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXdAK7GSQe0

Goddamn that sample has been in a lot of songs. I recognized it from Big Daddy Kane's "Young Gifted and Black", and Atmosphere did a sort of homage to it with "YGM". I just looked it up on WhoSampled and it's been in like a dozen tracks.

But yea Breeze is pretty smooth on everything he's on.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Thanks for the Bay Area rap chat. I know way too little about it despite growing up in San Jose. I need to catch myself up for sure.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

HatchetDown posted:

I totally agree with you. I think he's of the mind where fast=good or is still under the 8 Mile spell.

Even then, some Twista and Tonedeff take the prize if fast=good.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

DividedFrame, there's a playlist that has made its rounds on the internet for years, so it's a little out of date. It's basically the Arbitrarily Rated Top 500 Hip-Hop Songs from 1987-2007. The best thing I ever did for myself was go through that and find out what artists and what style of hip-hop I really enjoy. It has everything from golden age hip-hop to 90's west coast gangsta rap to hyphy to backpack rap to whatever the gently caress.

Then again, I still have no idea what my genre is since that PackFM track by ASL NIGGA was hot, but Blackstar is my favorite album ever, the rapper I'm following the closest lately is XV, and I can't stop dancing to Big Sean and Kanye's "Marvin & Chardonnay". Whatever.

Edit: Also if you're not following XV, what the gently caress. Go download Square in the Circle, Everybody's Nobody, Vizzy Zone, and Zero Heroes. Those are in chronological order, but he pretty much just gets better over time. drat near all of Zero Heroes is top-notch. There's some solid chill beats with great lyricism like "Me, You" and "Mirror's Edge" and "Reset Button", but he also has some poo poo that's just fun like "Awesome" and "Foreign Exchange Student".

Aggro fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Holy poo poo -- hip-hop in Miami Beach is awesome in September. The 13th is the Raekwon/Ghostface/Mobb Deep show, the 16th is Atmosphere, the 27th is Black Star. gently caress yes.

• Locked thread