Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

ASL NIGGA posted:

His rap voice is not his talking voice and that bothers me.

he probably isn't even raally name danny brown

XXX title track is the shiznit, beat, rhymse everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

Baron Patsy posted:

can people please stop posting lovely youtubes of their rear end in a top hat friends trying to rap

at least he wasn't wearing a wig inside of a walmart, good catch on the fingernails i had to use maczoom to spot that poo poo

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
"i get booster boostin, i get computers 'putin"

See this track has some ill wordplay and patterns, "Oh Boy" relies entirely on the beat to finish almost everyline, and by the end I'm pretty much ignoring the emcees in favor of Just Blaze but maybe that's just me.

"wanna hit it from the back she agreed that i'm loony, but proceeded to moon me"

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

the black husserl posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBGKAdS6dbU

I tear up to this poo poo! "We shared chicken sandwichwhes....they was a dolla fifty" :(

i literally had a one dollar drumstick @ 3am the other day, it was the only food i had for two days

i feel this poo poo, like really feel it

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
the bitch with the unibrow and all the sudden the dude with one leg is just busting out on crutches over that tupac beat

had to look it up, but i know the track, def not all the words tho

i didn't really grow up on dipset

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
i hope i don't meet him in real life and have to say this to his face but this poo poo is wack and fake IMO

e: i admit i feel the beat and if i didn't know any better i'd probably like it but i do know better an this flow is for jerkoffs

never thought i would say this but i prefer the soulja boy cut, what has earth come to

THNDRTHF fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Dec 29, 2011

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
"since the sky's the limit this the flow that could kill a ceilin"

"if i lose a leg i throw a shoe on my 3rd one"

"i'm the west coast savior why you think they yellin church when my verse done"

fuckin crooked i drat

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
This Raekwon tape has some joints on it but some of it sounds like he made it in CoolEdit

e: chupa cabra is totally a sample jack from that nas song

THNDRTHF fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 2, 2012

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

This one was the most interesting to me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHZFk4fuscY

I was curious to see how long he could ride out the "All-star small part Marge and Bart Simpson with a small twist I'll fart and start your car engine." kinda scheme.

Turns out not very long.

Yeah they turned up the Eminem dial on this track for sure http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzV7F_nOO8g

just FYI he rhymes "hell no" with "pesto" or something uhhhhh

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

who in the hell is JD Era? He's outshining Raekwon, how dare he

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2292yzt8L4
^ highlight

I still don't really understand the difference between a mixtape and an album - feh.

A few tracks have mixing problems and they're going to re-up those.

And a link: http://www.datpiff.com/Raekwon-Unexpected-Victory-mixtape.295793.html

Mixtapes are like "here's some fuckin music" which might include other people's beats and generally doesn't follow a strict album format. In many cases there's some rear end in a top hat screaming over the top of the beginning of all of the tracks. Quick and dirty, they are used for promotion for the real album that may contain many of the tracks from the mixtape, although often in more final form. Nowadays many mixtapes never see actual production, they are released digital only and show up on social networking sites and poo poo like that. Mixtapes are mostly free, though they were a major source of revenue starting with cats like Kid Capri. Mixtapes aren't always for single artists either. Dudes like Whiteowl put out huge 30 track tapes with themes or groups of artists that relate somehow. Mixtapes almost always predate actual release and are sometimes used to generate media interest in advance of physical release although some tapes are almost compilations to get recognition for singles that might have gone un-noticed when the album dropped because an artist lacked backing at the time.

An album is more like "we have carefully selected and mastered all of these tracks for your listening enjoyment". More care is taken not to get sued, and all of the songs usually have been completely finished and samples/beats are cleared. Not always the case but major label releases in general are pretty careful nowadays with licensing. These albums see phyiscal pressing and end up in brick and mortar stores through networks of distribution set up by record labels.

e: i should mention there's obviously still a huge indy hustle entirely seperate from the label system which consists of a bunch of cats pressing up albums on thier own, the internet has made this possible and is responsible for most of the world's really terrible and ultimately forgettable music, although major labels are not entirely innocent of putting out poo poo

ee: here's another example of what some people do with mixtapes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz-8B6pl19g (pretty much just a mashup, but you almost never see a legal real release like this barring the collabo b/w jay and linkin park :barf:)

THNDRTHF fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 2, 2012

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
forgot to cop that thanks for the reminder

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
Snoop was on The Price Is Right lol

http://jumpoff.tv/posts/view/snoop-dogg-takes-over-the-price-is-right/

his gameshow voice is classic

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
Yeah for about 10 seconds I didn't think I would like it but that poo poo is p fresh, kinda new school but still rooted

plus i <3 me some weed songs

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
i like the beat on schemin tho

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

bows1 posted:

Freddie Gibbs video for Thuggin'

Drugs, Guns, Booty's. Its got it all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vbxcPy1qJTU

this is fuckin ill but it got me worried about this dudes well being for real

"that's the life of a g i guess"

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
Gibbs is sick, rarely off. I have heard tracks by him that I like less than others but his poo poo is consistently good.

On a nice beat not many are truly loving with him, especially speaking in terms of current artists.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
i don't know who SGP is but it seems to me A$AP has some poo poo that is worth listening to

i understand that he is "STEALING" another regions sound, but i also find it hilarious to make sure that each artist doesn't do anything else that is being done or has ever been done all the sudden

and when someone IS doing something that is uncharacteristic of the genre's traditional formula people say "that belongs in _____ section of the record store" rather than being like "this rap has some ____ influence, dope"

there's this huge demand for new artists to completely break the mold in a genre that is founded on reusing snippets of old songs

to me this idea that dudes from new york are making music that sounds like it is from the south is entirely in line with the multiculturalism that is becoming more widespread all the time

for example hot chinese girls that only speak russian and my favorite: black chicks with british accents

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

dethkon posted:

You know... I don't really know? I guess biting styles isn't really an issue anymore since everyone does it. And I'm cool with it too, personally, as long as the music's good and they do justice to the style.

word

gimme some new poo poo to bang and you know what, gently caress it

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
this poo poo is no longer regional, its global man

kids in japan are buying this poo poo up, they could never probably tell you where the gently caress texas is in relation to new york

not that they control the industry or whatever but there's a new perspective on this, it's not just entertainment, it really is a culture and the culture is continually developing every year, it's crazy

there are not alot of "new" emerging cultures on the planet anymore and to be right in the middle of it is wild as gently caress; to place limits on it just seems to me to be counterproductive into developing it into its fullest potential

mahfuckas just need to ride out and get back to makin that ill poo poo, whatever it is to become, gently caress the fake dumb poo poo

i can see if you don't LIKE dudes like A$AP but to base it on the fact that they don't sound like where they sleep at seems a little closed minded

my 2c

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
I keep playing that "Thug Waffle" joint.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
also Xhibit was dope in Alkaholiks pshhh

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
i had this poo poo on rotate when it came out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvd4WFhQYdk

but thats the only song i've heard by him besides this (NWS):
http://www.hiphoplead.com/video/tyga-make-it-nasty-official-video/

what else has he done that is really good? i see potential but haven't found much else by him that i really like alot

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

Anderron Shi posted:

Check out these mixtapes (notable songs in parentheses):
-Well Done (Bitch I'm The poo poo, B.M.F., Hard In The Paint)
-Well Done 2 (Rack City, Yonkers, Snapbacks Back)
-Bitch I'm The poo poo (Haven't got around to listen to this one yet).

thanks workin on it

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
This is the first thing I heard by him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOkFZZFhwIE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

But yeah he hasn't really put out any serious bullshit yet.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

bows1 posted:

Anybody feelin Schoolboy Q's new record?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QNLvVY4gn8

I know, pitchfork, but its a solid record

I think this track is ill, never heard this dude before :shobon:

It is almost certainly sampling "As The Rush Comes" by Motorcycle or else they just found the same goddamn synth

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
haha

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
Bliss & Eso are p good but that's mostly it as far as far as I know, Aussies feel free to prove me wrong

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
Bust Down is also officially retarded.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
this thread is now about surfing down under

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
Aside from a couple of fumbled lines (big dude) this poo poo is ruggedocious

Also props on the beat

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

Anderron Shi posted:

I've been listening to a lot of Pusha T lately, anyone else feeling him?

He is nice, anything new I dunno about???

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
that pound on my muffin joint is really top-shelf

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

the black husserl posted:

Riff raff owns so hard I dont know what yall are talking about. I'm meh on bronson though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXZbc_zhrJg

i felt the opposite

i had only laughed at riff raff until this but i'm feelin it

that video where he's with soulja boy makes him seem actually retarded irl maybe he just does too much drugs or something

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

NeuroticErotica posted:

That's probably RIff Raff's best verse which is not saying a lot.

I'm really tired of the "Yeah we're making a video but we're not even going to try to lipsync." attitude of a lot of younger rappers these days. Drives me nuts.

ps this song needs a fuckin bike helmet

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
dudes voice reminds me of the RZA when he yells, never heard this gonna take a minute to get used to

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
Lol really loud

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
isn't that alchemist holding the duck in the Action Bronson x Riff Raff video

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
i thought so - he's more jokey in this video, i watched "the champion" by inspectah deck but he looked a little more stonefaced in that one

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
I always knew El was destined for greatness just depends on who is measuring I guess.

But yeah Bun & TI wouldn't have made the list of potential collabs 5 yrs ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
Even dudes like Clinton Sparks, while obviously white as hell, still seems to strike a balance. I guess he does Shady 45 radio so it makes sense I guess but really you shouldn't be anything you aren't. It doesn't hurt to be likeable and funny ;)

• Locked thread