Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
lemonparties with wippersnapper
I actually think De La Soul's skits are genuinely funny. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004

TenaciousTomato posted:

I couldn't listen to a whole Das Racist song if someone paid me

My friend really likes that one song they do where they rap about White Castle (I don't know what it's called) and she will occasionally play it when we hang out together with friends. It's seriously some of the worst hip-hop I've ever heard. Do they produce in-house too? The song sounds like someone listened to Bomb Squad beats and thought, "Hey, this is cool but you know what? There's not enough happening on this track", snorted some Adderall, and made a "beat" that sacrifices riding ability (and listening ability) for stuff happening all the time. Lyrically, it seems like they listened to Talib and thought he was a good rapper but didn't tend to over-stuff his rhymes with excessive words enough, and went crazy with a rhyming dictionary and thesaurus. I've listened to this song far more than I would like to admit because of my friend. D:

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
this is prob entry level poo poo so i'm sorry but considering the recent explosion of (perhaps for lack of a better term) psychedelic hip-hop -- beast coast posse love their shrooms and 'cid -- i was wondering what some precursors from the '80s/'90s/2000s to this would be since they must surely exist but i can't think of any? in terms of rapping about psychedelics and whatever and "trippy" beats. maybe tech n9ne; i remember he had some song about tripping on dxm and getting his dick sucked in a bathroom stall or something??

edit: i guess non phixion and gravediggaz would be two more :shobon:

also i stayed up all night listening to the three 6 links y'all posted and i'm a convert now since i didn't know much by them before. thank you hip-hop thread~

Did That on Television fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 22, 2013

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004

John Brown posted:

I made a post similar to this and got buried for it. But I guess it's ok for you to say it because you're white?? I'm not attacking you specifically but all the dudes in here who gave me poo poo for it. As I said, when a lot of these young white kids grow up they won't give a shot about rap.

E: and of course this is generally speaking. You guys in here are most likely the exception to this.

be white, bump dead prez "i'm a african"

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
apparently ak of underachievers released a solo track, "times change", about two months ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c52RiKFipc

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
man that dude should be where macklemore is now, poo poo comes hard

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
i guess this is what stic.man is up to these days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu8QthlZ6hY

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004

Boywhiz88 posted:

However, the craziest loving thing, and if you check Danny's twitter, he got his dick sucked during Kush Koma. On stage. Chick just pulled his dick out and started going to town. Afterwards, she was pulled by his tour manager and brought backstage. Oh music concerts!

Here's the pic he retweeted after Kendrick asked him via Twitter if it was true:

:drat:

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
I don't think this was posted here but probably was in the Kanye thread? Lou Reed on Yeezus.

Lou Reed posted:

Very often, he'll have this very monotonous section going and then, suddenly —"BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP!" — he disrupts the whole thing and we're on to something new that's absolutely incredible. That's architecture, that's structure — this guy is seriously smart. He keeps unbalancing you. He'll pile on all this sound and then suddenly pull it away, all the way to complete silence, and then there's a scream or a beautiful melody, right there in your face. That's what I call a sucker punch.

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
My friend played me "That's Gangsta" yesterday night and I'd not heard his poo poo before. Good poo poo...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enZRB_TjJ00

..then I saw his response to Kendrick today. :( His voice sounds shot which kinda ruined everything else for me, unfortunately, because it was otherwise good. Weird.

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV56-JUHEgE

This song goes hard like early Bomb Squad-produced Cube.

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
I finally just watched Style Wars and it was a great documentary. I already agree that graffiti isn't vandalism so it was amusing to see just how worried the mayor of New York and various other officials approached the issue, not once grasping how it might be a form of social recognition for oneself and others too. It did briefly touch on the two other pillars of hip-hop culture, rapping and breakdancing, but obviously didn't go in depth. And now I'm curious: What are some documentaries in a similar vein but for the musical aspect of hip-hop culture, ideally ones done "at the time" rather than retrospectively. I also have a copy of Check The Technique at home I've yet to get into which I'm excited about too!

I also saw that Tribe documentary a little while ago too. I didn't think Tip came off well in that very much at all, hooboy... It was cool seeing how he created beats though!

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
Yeah, for some reason the first couple times I listened to Better Off Dead I wasn't feeling it. I don't know why that was because I listened to it a while ago again for the first time in a couple weeks and... it's as good as y'all have been saying! I thought Juice went in on that tape too, whereas he felt more like the hype man on the first. Ark's beats are great as usual, and his verses were much improved too I thought. Except that Danny Brown feature, I still think that collab could've been way more than it ended up being. I'll be damned though if the chanted drug names isn't catchy as hell, haha.

edit: the gently caress, how did I miss boywhiz88's post. Condolences :(

Did That on Television fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 14, 2014

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
http://www.teamsesh.com/ has four albums but I guess he's released much more than that? He has a Soundcloud too: https://soundcloud.com/TEAMSESH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
is yasiin bey worth seeing live? he's playing here on saturday with the hypnotic brass ensemble and although i like mos def, i don't really know much about what he's up to now as bey.

• Locked thread