Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I haven't had service for quite a while, and I still have my old Treo 700wx. I like it and couldn't give less of a poo poo about getting a new phone. Can I get ERP without buying a phone from them?

Javid fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Jensen posted:

I mean, is there a need for dual core computers?
Sure but I don't do software builds, video encodes, or large number crunching on my phone. Outside of those applications there's nothing I do on my computer that requires dual core, and there's few things that see significant responsiveness improvement from it.

There was a fairly critical need for phones to get better/faster computationally up until the most recent generation, as previous devices simply weren't sufficient to do mobile web browsing as adequate as we would like them. At this point, Opera on my Epic runs well enough that at least 90% of sites I visit render timely and I have no browsing issues with them. I don't imagine the type of sites I'd want to visit on my phone are going to get significantly more complicated over the next two years, given they haven't over the past five or six. Multitasking maybe, but again, I don't really see my multitasking habits changing too dramatically.

As always, mobile gaming will probably be the first big push of mobile multicore. So the real question is, how much do you game?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Sure but I don't do software builds, video encodes, or large number crunching on my phone. Outside of those applications there's nothing I do on my computer that requires dual core, and there's few things that see significant responsiveness improvement from it.

There was a fairly critical need for phones to get better/faster computationally up until the most recent generation, as previous devices simply weren't sufficient to do mobile web browsing as adequate as we would like them. At this point, Opera on my Epic runs well enough that at least 90% of sites I visit render timely and I have no browsing issues with them. I don't imagine the type of sites I'd want to visit on my phone are going to get significantly more complicated over the next two years, given they haven't over the past five or six. Multitasking maybe, but again, I don't really see my multitasking habits changing too dramatically.

As always, mobile gaming will probably be the first big push of mobile multicore. So the real question is, how much do you game?

You aren't forward thinking at all. Look at the Atrix. You take your phone, and you make it a laptop. Obviously there's always a need to make better and faster phones because eventually you won't even need a home computer. It will just be your phone.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Right now I have a Palm Pre, so not very much, plus my battery life is bad enough without doing any gaming. My basic concern with Android is that Google comes out with a new, improved, version of the OS and unless I have a Nexus phone I have no idea when I'm going to get the updates. I like the look of the Epic but am scared that its not going to get any new updates. I'd rather not have to root it and install a customer rom that may or may not work very well. I didn't like changing roms on my old Windows Mobile Phone.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I don't mean to come off as argumentative, and this is probably do to my technical background/lifestyle, but I find these sorts of comments ridiculous.

My phone is NO WHERE near the speed of my desktop computer at anything. Every single type of computing I do on it is a massive compromise because of the tiny power-sipping processor.

Why the hell wouldn't I want millisecond page rendered multi-tabbed browsing? Full HDMI out that let the phone become my personal computer? Multi core processing to be able to handle higher def videos in both decode and encode and to support higher megapixel cameras?

Until my phone is as fluid, responsive, fast, and as capable as the most powerful computers I currently use, I'll always want more horsepower. And I bet when they do finally catch up, there will be new computing paradigms that I take advantage of that will even require MORE power.

"Good enough" is a backwards looking position in my eyes.

That being said there is a huge draw to a stock nexus device as well. You definitely have to weigh the pros and cons of software vs hardware.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Jensen posted:

That being said there is a huge draw to a stock nexus device as well. You definitely have to weigh the pros and cons of software vs hardware.

If you're a stranger to custom ROMs, then you don't realize that 80% of the "cons" that come with phones are contained within that software part.

For example, I flashed MY GIRLFRIEND's Hero to CM7. Now, CM7 is a gingerbread ROM, whereas the Hero was never developed past Eclair by HTC. However, it's fast as hell and has better battery life now.

I understand that manufacturers have next to no incentive NOT to customize the poo poo out of their phones, but it creates a shitton of overhead on the resources of the phone that aren't needed unless you really need that Sense UI integration between SMS and Facebook and Twitter and simply won't settle for an app to do it.

Granted, on a baseline level, faster processor, more RAM = faster phone. It's just that you don't realize exactly how powerful the phones are because they have crappy manufacturer builds of the OS sandbagging it to hell and back.

That being said, right this very moment I'd prefer a Nexus S over an Evo 3D and will likely continue to do so until/if community development gets rolling on the Evo 3D.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
It seems like the Nexus will be out by the end of the month. I really don't think I'd use most of the Evo's features and 4g is no where close to my city.

I actually want a Pre 3 but HP seems to willingly lock up information.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

"d[-.- posted:

b"]Look at the Atrix. You take your phone, and you make it a laptop.
I may have misspoken. It's not that I think there's no point to improving the processing power of phones, or that dual-core phones are useless. It's that the factors that compelled me to get a dual-core workstation aren't nearly as compelling on a phone, so I don't feel the need to invest in it right now.

Or put another way, dual-core is probably one of the last features I'd look for in purchasing a phone today, if I wasn't particularly interested in gaming. On the other hand, if I was choosing between two phones where every other factor was the same, I probably would go dual-core, even if there was a proportional price increase.

The Atrix is another story. The laptop dock is silly expensive, and I don't understand the point of such an accessory when netbooks are cheaper. I'm not the only one who thinks this either.

Jensen posted:

I don't mean to come off as argumentative, and this is probably do to my technical background/lifestyle, but I find these sorts of comments ridiculous.
Ridiculous? It's just my opinion, you're welcome disagree.

In any event, tech enthusiasts will almost always want the fastest/best/most capable. There's nothing wrong with that.

My point was that every smartphone I used/owned prior to this generation felt woefully underpowered for doing something as simple as browsing slashdot, so upgrades were very compelling. "gently caress I wish this was faster" was a very common complaint of mine. But with this generation, I feel my phone does everything I've been wanting it to do over the past few years, timely and responsively. If I had to improve one aspect about it, it wouldn't be dual-core but double the RAM.

Now, the current generation of phones might not be fast enough for your needs, and if so, then dual-core is a much more compelling feature. That's OK.

With that in mind, the Evo 3D is quite a bit of an upgrade from the Nexus S. Aside from dual-core, I imagine it has a very-welcomed 1 GB of RAM, bigger, higher resolution screen, SD card slot, etc. Which makes that particular purchasing decision a tough choice, particularly since we won't know how hackable the device is until it's released, which is some time after the Sprint Nexus S has been on the market.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

TLG James posted:

It seems like the Nexus will be out by the end of the month. I really don't think I'd use most of the Evo's features and 4g is no where close to my city.

I actually want a Pre 3 but HP seems to willingly lock up information.
The nexus s is also 4g.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
My biggest concern looking at the EVO 3D would be battery life. It does have a much, much needed 1700 mAh, but people are having battery troubles (albeit very few) with the Atrix occasionally, so HTC's track record bothers me in that regard. I hope it is adequate for the device. I was already burned by the Thunderbolt once.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Cozmosis posted:

My biggest concern looking at the EVO 3D would be battery life. It does have a much, much needed 1700 mAh, but people are having battery troubles (albeit very few) with the Atrix occasionally, so HTC's track record bothers me in that regard. I hope it is adequate for the device. I was already burned by the Thunderbolt once.
Atrix is motorola, but I'll end the suspense and tell you right now: battery life won't be the evo3d's selling point.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Jensen posted:

My phone is NO WHERE near the speed of my desktop computer at anything. Every single type of computing I do on it is a massive compromise because of the tiny power-sipping processor.

Why the hell wouldn't I want millisecond page rendered multi-tabbed browsing? Full HDMI out that let the phone become my personal computer? Multi core processing to be able to handle higher def videos in both decode and encode and to support higher megapixel cameras?

Until my phone is as fluid, responsive, fast, and as capable as the most powerful computers I currently use, I'll always want more horsepower. And I bet when they do finally catch up, there will be new computing paradigms that I take advantage of that will even require MORE power.

"Good enough" is a backwards looking position in my eyes.

I think the biggest con for me with Android is the same con I had with windows mobile, you always want to cut out the crapware they load it up with. I've been more than happy with my pre for almost 2 years, but have been angry that they've abandoned the current model and Google doesn't seem to be doing that with the Nexus phones. I think I'm looking to get the Nexus as its the best chance I have of getting all of the updates.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

wooom wooom vroooom ksh ksh vooom
Word to your mother.

I should be back a lot more now.

My daughter was diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy, but she should be ok, just some therapy, maybe some braces, and some medicines for a while, but in the end she should be a normal little girl. Now that this 14 month nightmare is finally over, and we can focus on getting her better, I should have some more time for personal poo poo.

With that out of the way,

The Nexus S is awesome, except it's made by loving Samsung. I will never EVER EVER buy a Samsung phone ever. They are all giant pieces of poo poo. I don't care if you or your mother, or your best friend has one and it sucks your loving dick every hour and wire transfers 8 billion dollars into your bank account every 10 minutes. gently caress Samsung.

I've quite literally swapped out thousands of Samsung phones, including the "high end" ones, because they are pieces of poo poo. It's one thing when some idiot drops their phone over and over again and wonders why poo poo isn't 100. It's totally another when you get a phone that looks like it was just pulled out of the box, and has completely failed. Be it the touchscreen, charging port, speaker, etc. gently caress Samsung. If they gave me a Nexus S I would go ahead and just break the charging port over and over again until I was swapped into something else, because it's going to loving happen anyway.

Don't get me started on their software bullshit either. loving sweaty nerds in their basement can get gingerbread running 99% flawlessly on the EVO, but teams of people whos only job is to code loving software for a loving smartphone cant get MOTHERFUCKING FROYO WHICH CAME OUT LAST YEAR, to work on the giant hunk of poo poo known as the Epic, because TouchWiz is a such a poorly coded bloated pile of poo poo software.

Once again, gently caress Samsung. Even their lovely free flip phones dont work right. The m240 won't even keep your call history. Do they release a software update to fix that? No, they don't. Samsung is the cause of about 95% of my getting cussed out by customers, because their lovely software or hardware is failing for absolutely no loving fault of the customer. I know people who have been through 6 moments, 3 intercepts, and now on their fourth transform. All for legitimate swaps.

Chappy fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 4, 2011

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

WoG posted:

Atrix is motorola, but I'll end the suspense and tell you right now: battery life won't be the evo3d's selling point.

I realize both of those things. I don't care about battery generally, as long as I can get a day's use out of my phone. I was not that lucky with the T-bolt.

george soros irl
Nov 12, 2005

make friends and then buy & sell money always

Chappy posted:

I've quite literally swapped out thousands of Samsung phones, including the "high end" ones, because they are pieces of poo poo. It's one thing when some idiot drops their phone over and over again and wonders why poo poo isn't 100. It's totally another when you get a phone that looks like it was just pulled out of the box, and has completely failed. Be it the touchscreen, charging port, speaker, etc. gently caress Samsung. If they gave me a Nexus S I would go ahead and just break the charging port over and over again until I was swapped into something else, because it's going to loving happen anyway...
Samsung is the cause of about 95% of my getting cussed out by customers, because their lovely software or hardware is failing for absolutely no loving fault of the customer. I know people who have been through 6 moments, 3 intercepts, and now on their fourth transform. All for legitimate swaps.

I think I went through 4 instincts before I just said gently caress it and bought an Evo, and I swear I'll never buy a samsung phone again. But, my roommate has an AT&T captivate and legitimately enjoys it, reasons that it is the better of the two android devices, even with his phone running a bloatware heavy touch-wiz build of 2.1. I wait daily to hear about how the touch screen on it has stopped working or that it won't take a charge anymore, because I'm utterly convinced that Samsung's mobile division is run by autistics

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

Cozmosis posted:

I realize both of those things. I don't care about battery generally, as long as I can get a day's use out of my phone. I was not that lucky with the T-bolt.

The T-bolt wont let you disable LTE without a third party app. When you turn LTE off the battery is fine.

tehfox0r posted:

I think I went through 4 instincts before I just said gently caress it and bought an Evo, and I swear I'll never buy a samsung phone again. But, my roommate has an AT&T captivate and legitimately enjoys it, reasons that it is the better of the two android devices, even with his phone running a bloatware heavy touch-wiz build of 2.1. I wait daily to hear about how the touch screen on it has stopped working or that it won't take a charge anymore, because I'm utterly convinced that Samsung's mobile division is run by autistics

I had blocked the loving instinct from memory. gently caress that heap of poo poo.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Chappy posted:

I don't care if you or your mother, or your best friend has one and it sucks your loving dick every hour and wire transfers 8 billion dollars into your bank account every 10 minutes. gently caress Samsung.
I think the Samsung issue is more complicated than people give it credit for. I've heard a lot of negativity about the Epic specifically, but the better question is why were people buying it in the first place? It's a one-off Sprint-only model with the best elements of the Galaxy S series (generous internal storage, super-thin chassis) removed, and the additions of a stupid WiMax radio and a bulky-rear end, beyond-pointless-in-the-large-capacitive-touchscreen-era keyboard that Hesse and co. surely demanded in order to better "differentiate" it from the Evo.

The Instinct smelled like loving failure from a mile away, and anyone who bought that thing got what they deserved. Another Sprint/Samsung exclusive collaboration. Maybe the real problem is that Samsung can't bring themselves to say no to Sprint's retarded ideas for riffing on designs, and will build whatever catastrophic shitbox they ask for as long as the burlap bags of cash keep flowing in (see also: Samsung Upstage, truly a shameful phone).

The sliding-keyboard dumbphones you mentioned also suck, but I mean really, poo poo like that is pretty much advertised as garbage. Those phones strike me as honeypots being spat out as cheaply as possible just to see if they can dupe dummies into a signing horridly-overpriced Sprint contract. Back in the flip phone era, I recall people looking upon Samsung's "luxury flip phones" like the A900m and the M610 quite fondly, with many considering the M610 to be the finest flip phone Sprint's ever carried.

You surely see the worst of the defects as a Sprint employee. I'd sure as poo poo never carry an Epic personally for about a million reasons, but I don't think it's fair to shun Samsung wholesale. Admittedly, I'd also never push a non-technical friend or loved one toward a Samsung device over an HTC (Nexus S notwithstanding) because you're right, the software is basically a guaranteed catastrophe. But shout me an internet holler when HTC bothers to start including 16/32 gigs of internal storage and decent DACs that don't hiss like a loving snake with sensitive IEMs in their smartphones.

The Vibrant and Captivate are simply much better as audio players than any of HTC's current stuff, and thanks to the Herculean efforts of the bros over at xda they've both got super serviceable clean Froyo ROMs (with a manufacturer base) and a mostly-working CM7 port. It's pretty ridiculous that you have to deal with a GPSfix, a lagfix, an audio fix, and probably three hundred other fixes I don't know about, but once that stuff's taken care of the phones are pretty pro. I'm a lot happier with my hacked Vibrant than I was with an Evo running CyanogenMod. Samsung's shitware can be removed; you can't (easily) retrofit a beefy husk of flash memory or a new audio chip into an Evo. And call me a rare snowflake, but my launch-day Vibrant that's changed hands through three owners charges just fine. :v:

The real reason to skip the Nexus S? WiMax. :smug:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

kalibar posted:

I think the Samsung issue is more complicated than people give it credit for. I've heard a lot of negativity about the Epic specifically, but the better question is why were people buying it in the first place?

I don't know, recommendations from people those buyers trusted for advice?

Tons of places (including an earlier Sprint thread on these forums) expressed a lot of optimism for Samsung not redoing the previous failures with the Epic. I believe the term was "turning the corner." Additionally, a lot of reputable sources up to and including Sprint reps were and have been, up until it was actually rolled out, promising an upgrade to Froyo "soon." If the Epic was made by any other company, and came with the same issues, it would have been seen as a misstep by whoever. Except it's Samsung and now it's a pattern of phones long on bling but short on reliability or even basic operation adherent to the capabilities listed on their sales sheet. After multiple different ROM flashes I still don't have working GPS on this thing. The keyboard skips keypresses. Volume issues persist when it comes to having alarms go off when needed. The screen has a terrifically short burn-in time, and mine has slight burn-in from one night where I left it on the dock and expected the screen to sleep automatically like it does on the charger. It didn't and now I've got a few squares and "September 09" burned into the screen - faint, but on a blank white BG it's clearly there.

kalibar posted:

It's a one-off Sprint-only model with the best elements of the Galaxy S series (generous internal storage, super-thin chassis) removed, and the additions of a stupid WiMax radio and a bulky-rear end, beyond-pointless-in-the-large-capacitive-touchscreen-era keyboard that Hesse and co. surely demanded in order to better "differentiate" it from the Evo.

That's good to know now considering I came from a Hero when I bought the Epic and was hoping to make use of said hardware keyboard. It didn't do the trick, by the way, and I've learned that I'm just better off using the software keyboard, but that's neither here nor there on the actual issue of the phone and more my failing.

kalibar posted:

You surely see the worst of the defects as a Sprint employee. I'd sure as poo poo never carry an Epic personally for about a million reasons, but I don't think it's fair to shun Samsung wholesale. Admittedly, I'd also never push a non-technical friend or loved one toward a Samsung device over an HTC (Nexus S notwithstanding) because you're right, the software is basically a guaranteed catastrophe. But shout me an internet holler when HTC bothers to start including 16/32 gigs of internal storage and decent DACs that don't hiss like a loving snake with sensitive IEMs in their smartphones.

I bought this drat thing in the understanding that fixes were incoming for what were decidedly identified as software, not hardware, problems. Had I known then that neither Samsung nor a whole gaggle of basement coders at XDA could get proper GPS working I'd have gone with the Evo in a heartbeat.

The track record from Samsung at this point is abysmal on the software front and mildly poor at best in the US on the hardware front considering the shitstack hardware they crammed into this thing. It's like all of that vertical integration means they just take QA for granted and never really consider that they might be releasing phones that are about as solid internally as Sarah Palin. Again, I went through two separate updates that were reported to have fixed GPS before saying gently caress it and searching for a custom ROM that got GPS working. Still haven't found one but at least now my phone is rooted and doesn't take 10-15 seconds to adjust the screen orientation. Yes, GPS is important to me because I like the idea of being able to locate my phone if it gets lost or navigate if I want to find somewhere with an address that doesn't conform to the grid system in my city. Buying a map is something I shouldn't have to do after paying over $500 for a phone that specifically listed GPS navigation as a capability.

kalibar posted:

The real reason to skip the Nexus S? WiMax. :smug:

Considering Sprint is looking like they'll hop over to LTE at some point you're right. The time frame on that is unknown so there may be time to upgrade to an LTE phone on the 2-year timeframe. Besides, who knows if they'll even roll it out to my area. I'm not in a coastal metropolitan area but I'm in a relatively large Midwestern city that by all rights should have had WiMax by this point considering it's within daytrip range of Sprint HQ.

All in all for me the ownership of an Epic has been a learning experience in more ways than flashing ROMs. It has taught me that for my money an unproven quantity or quality is as good as a failure. Take the HTC Arrive for example. A year ago I would have jumped at that beautiful WP7 beast and the solid design of the thing. Now I know that WP7 is not proven long-term just yet and I want to wait a while until the platform is a little more mature before considering making the switch from Android to WP7. As for the thought of buying a Samsung phone either in manufacture alone or in both hard- and software? gently caress that. Nothing short of a 12-month retrospective review on a Samsung phone wherein the reviewer states that Samsung has clearly cleaned up their act would change my mind on this.

So yes, I've made the decision to never buy a Samsung phone again failing the condition at the end of the previous paragraph. I took into account their prior track record, took into account advice from trusted sources that they were looking to make good with this, and got burned for half a grand plus. Now I'm desperately looking for someone to swap me an Evo for it because prior to 4/1 there was no way in hell I was re-upping for a two-year contract just to have a phone that would be likely EOL'd by the time t came up for an upgrade again. On the bright side this mistake will only be hanging with me for another 6 months.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Apr 4, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Chappy posted:

Samsung hate

Could not have said it better myself. Seriously, I don't care if a Samsung phone has one or two benefits like sound and screen quality, the overall product sucks, and what happens is regular users don't realize its Samsung, they usually blame android or maybe Sprint. What sucks is times like now when both the evo and evo shift are Frickin backordered, so all I have to sell is Epics.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
The funny thing about the Samsung GPS issue is that you always get all these people, in this thread and others on the internet, claiming that their GPS is fine and everyone else must just have a defective unit.

I think part of the problem is that it does work at points, but it's always flaky as poo poo taken as a whole. That and I think some people just have really low expectations of how a phone GPS should work.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

"4G" on a phone is a gimmick right now anyway, unless you are using it for a hotspot.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Jensen posted:

The funny thing about the Samsung GPS issue is that you always get all these people, in this thread and others on the internet, claiming that their GPS is fine and everyone else must just have a defective unit.

I think part of the problem is that it does work at points, but it's always flaky as poo poo taken as a whole. That and I think some people just have really low expectations of how a phone GPS should work.

The GPS issues on the Samsung phones are a combination of hardware and software problems. Some units work fine while others are terrible; however, if you install a custom ROM with a better-working modem the GPS will improve, assuming your GPS chip isn't busted. I had a poor GPS experience with my Captivate until I flashed CM7 with the JK4 modem, and now it just works with little or no issues.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chappy posted:

"4G" on a phone is a gimmick right now anyway, unless you are using it for a hotspot.

I rarely use it because I still find it shaky with CM7, but I do have to say it helps in scenarios like downloading apps or watching videos.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I am starting to question my decision to get a EVO 3D this summer. I looked at the Nexus S (of course not the Sprint version) at the Best Buy and it felt like a real nice phone. It was sleeker than my EVO and nicer display. I loved the size (it felt great in my hand) and how thin it was. Only thing I didn't like was the black glossy look. It was not bad, but I would of went different.

My major concern with the EVO 3D is battery life. I am concern because the EVO doesn't have a good battery life. I have tried different ROMs and kernels, but if I didn't work in a office where I could plug it in my EVO would never make it through the day. I know the EVO 3D will have a bigger battery but because of the new features I would guess it would be a net even or worst than the EVO.

Does anyone know what kind of battery life the Nexus S gets now? It shouldn't be that much different than the Sprint version for me since I don't use 4G. I guess what I am saying I think I would take a phone as powerful as the current EVO that last all day over the EVO 3D that only lasts until 2pm. Now who knows but I could be wrong and the EVO 3D have great battery life (I really do doubt it). Plus I am so over Sense now after using CM7. As stated before what if you can't perm root the EVO 3D?

One more question since Samsung is having nothing to do with the software on the Nexus S does that mean Google gets to push the updates?

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 4, 2011

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

nate fisher posted:

I am starting to question my decision to get a EVO 3D this summer. I looked at the Nexus S (of course not the Sprint version) at the Best Buy and it felt like a real nice phone. It was sleeker than my EVO and nicer display. I loved the size (it felt great in my hand) and how thin it was. Only thing I didn't like was the black glossy look. It was not bad, but I would of went different.

My major concern with the EVO 3D is battery life. I am concern because the EVO doesn't have a good battery life. I have tried different ROMs and kernels, but if I didn't work in a office where I could plug it in my EVO would never make it through the day. I know the EVO 3D will have a bigger battery but because of the new features I would guess it would be a net even or worst than the EVO.

Does anyone know what kind of battery life the Nexus S gets now? It shouldn't be that much different than the Sprint version for me since I don't use 4G. I guess what I am saying I think I would take a phone as powerful as the current EVO that last all day over the EVO 3D that only lasts until 2pm. Now who knows but I could be wrong and the EVO 3D have great battery life (I really do doubt it). Plus I am so over Sense now after using CM7. As stated before what if you can't perm root the EVO 3D?

One more question since Samsung is having nothing to do with the software on the Nexus S does that mean Google gets to push the updates?

I think you are mistaken in your thinking about the EVO3D battery life. It should be better than the EVO. Things like the 3d cameras shouldn't have any effect on battery life if you aren't using them. The only thing that might impact battery life is if Sense 3.0 is running more background services that wake up the device and use data.

Talk time will definitely be better and standby time should be better. The new processor is based off of a 45nm die and therefore is more power efficient. It also has lots of tricks where it can conserve power by down clocking itself and shutting off cores.

I think absolute worst case scenario it's the same as the EVO, but I would bet it is better. Remember, Gingerbread is a little easier on the battery itself.

I agree with you on the actual physical characteristics of the Nexus though. I too prefer its smaller size and display.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

Don't forget that the Nexus S has internal memory, and no card slot. I know 16gb is enough, but when your port eventually fails or your phone just decides to stop working just because, and all the data on your storage partition is gone, don't say I didn't warn you.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Jensen posted:

I think you are mistaken in your thinking about the EVO3D battery life. It should be better than the EVO. Things like the 3d cameras shouldn't have any effect on battery life if you aren't using them. The only thing that might impact battery life is if Sense 3.0 is running more background services that wake up the device and use data.

Talk time will definitely be better and standby time should be better. The new processor is based off of a 45nm die and therefore is more power efficient. It also has lots of tricks where it can conserve power by down clocking itself and shutting off cores.

I think absolute worst case scenario it's the same as the EVO, but I would bet it is better. Remember, Gingerbread is a little easier on the battery itself.

I agree with you on the actual physical characteristics of the Nexus though. I too prefer its smaller size and display.

I guess my main concern was the dual processor, but isn't the display 3D? I would guess you could cut that off also like with the 3DS (which is also getting complaints about battery life).

Chappy posted:

Don't forget that the Nexus S has internal memory, and no card slot. I know 16gb is enough, but when your port eventually fails or your phone just decides to stop working just because, and all the data on your storage partition is gone, don't say I didn't warn you.

Wow I missed that. That might of killed any love I had for the Nexus S.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
So I really want to switch from Verizon to the Sprint EPRP 500 plan with an EVO but I notice it's STILL sold out in the EPRP store. Would I be able to go to a sprint store with all of the EPRP info (the employee email/number) and get what I want?

Or should I just wait for the EVO 3D?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

FlyingCheese posted:

So I really want to switch from Verizon to the Sprint EPRP 500 plan with an EVO but I notice it's STILL sold out in the EPRP store. Would I be able to go to a sprint store with all of the EPRP info (the employee email/number) and get what I want?

Or should I just wait for the EVO 3D?

I am using a loving HTC Hero still and I plan on waiting. It's only a couple more months. I'll live.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

Honestly, just wait. The EVO 3D will probably be the same price as the current EVO, but better in every possible way.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

kalibar posted:

I think the Samsung issue is more complicated than people give it credit for. ...

I've heard Samsung is making the WP7 team's life hard, especially with the patches. This is second hand info though so don't quote me or anything.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Gazaville Slugger posted:

I am using a loving HTC Hero still and I plan on waiting. It's only a couple more months. I'll live.

Yeah, the thing is I'm stuck on Verizon with a $75 bill (500 mins, 250 texts, 10MB data) per month with a lovely dumbphone when I could be paying $5 less for a nice android phone with unlimited 4G data and all the fancy bells and whistles. I can wait longer but it's getting harder and harder.

Any idea when the 3D will be out? And will it have the same availability problems?

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Jensen posted:

Just to add to what nimper said, I think the real difference between people who do have GPS problems vs. people who don't is that the latter group installed custom software from XDA that fixed it whereas the former group seems to think using a Samsung device with the stock software loaded makes any kind of sense whatsoever. My Vibrant's GPS was pretty inaccurate on the stock ROM, but it functions just fine after I loaded a Team Whiskey ROM (that claimed to have "GPS fixes" incorporated).

They're simply not devices for people who don't want to gently caress with them, because yeah, Sasmung's software development efforts are criminally bad. Don't buy a Galaxy S for your mom.

Given the small subset of people who are interested in hacking their phones, it does make you wonder how Samsung's poo poo stays so popular, though. They don't exactly include detailed instructions in the box for logging onto XDA and fixing all the bullshit wrong with their phones.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kalibar posted:

Just to add to what nimper said, I think the real difference between people who do have GPS problems vs. people who don't is that the latter group installed custom software from XDA that fixed it whereas the former group seems to think using a Samsung device with the stock software loaded makes any kind of sense whatsoever. My Vibrant's GPS was pretty inaccurate on the stock ROM, but it functions just fine after I loaded a Team Whiskey ROM (that claimed to have "GPS fixes" incorporated).

They're simply not devices for people who don't want to gently caress with them, because yeah, Sasmung's software development efforts are criminally bad. Don't buy a Galaxy S for your mom.

Given the small subset of people who are interested in hacking their phones, it does make you wonder how Samsung's poo poo stays so popular, though. They don't exactly include detailed instructions in the box for logging onto XDA and fixing all the bullshit wrong with their phones.

Samsung does a good job at the "bling" aspect of phones, so usually people will buy a Samsung Epic like they buy some crazy stand out chrome hubs for whatever crappy car they drive. Some people don't research. Some people dont get a Samsung bug on the phone or never notice. And of course some people buy phones at times when HTC is out of stock so there is nothing else to buy.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

IRC - Its nothing more than multiplayer notepad.

kalibar posted:

the latter group installed custom software from XDA that fixed it

Eh... not so much. I am running stock EC05 2.2 (although it IS rooted), and have no GPS issues. In fact, I use GPS for Google Navigation in the Samsung OEM car mount on an almost daily basis, and have not seen any problems. Now, I'm not doubting that there are a lot of people out there who DO have GPS issues with the Epic, but I think it more or less comes down to hardware batches or something. Some are good working units, others not so much.

That said, I've been considering going to a custom ROM, but have yet to really do any research on it. I was kinda waiting/hoping there would be a good, stable cyanogenmod for it, but I don't know if that will happen. Anybody got any good recommendations on ROMs?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

SneakyCracker posted:

Anybody got any good recommendations on ROMs?

I would be interested in suggestions too...since my brother picked up an Epic.

You, sir, are a better man than I am. I went out and BOUGHT MY OWN phone to use at work instead of that WinMo 6 POS.
\/\/\/\/\/\/

Ozmodiar fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 4, 2011

Eunabomber
Dec 30, 2002

Gazaville Slugger posted:

I'm still using a Motorola Q!

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Ozmodiar posted:

You, sir, are a better man than I am. I went out and BOUGHT MY OWN phone to use at work instead of that WinMo 6 POS.
\/\/\/\/\/\/

Actually, the Q was WinMo 5. (I used to have one.)

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Technogeek posted:

Actually, the Q was WinMo 5. (I used to have one.)

HAHA. Oops. Was the Q9x (or whatever the gently caress the "updated" Q was called) WinMo 6? Maybe I'm thinking of that.

EDIT:

Binge just posted this over in the Rooted thread.

Binge posted:

Has there been any discussion about this: P3Droid's news about upcoming policy changes with US Carriers regarding rooting.

So the big US Carriers are apparently getting pissed about rooted phones, and mainly the ability to tether. I have a Xoom, and an OG Droid, both have Verizon plans. I pay 30/mo for unlimited on the droid, and 20/mo for 1gb on the Xoom. My Droid has already had to be its tether when I went over my 1gb in my first month. I know there's the argument that it's their business, and they're trying to protect themselves. But this seems quite ridiculous. Is Verizon not raking in money by the second from billions of text message fees, data plans noone comes close to using their max on, etc? Do they really need to piss off an entire segment of their users to make a few extra bucks? Is it not ridiculous that I have 3 devices on my Verizon plan, and 3 different data plans? Plus data at home with my ISP?

I dunno, they're gonna have to pry my rooted/gingerbreaded Droid from my dead fingers before I return it to stock, if everything P3Droid is saying in that post is true.

I thought I'd ask here to see if any of the Sprint-people can comment on the linked article...

Ozmodiar fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

Ozmodiar posted:

HAHA. Oops. Was the Q9x (or whatever the gently caress the "updated" Q was called) WinMo 6? Maybe I'm thinking of that.

EDIT:

Binge just posted this over in the Rooted thread.

I thought I'd ask here to see if any of the Sprint-people can comment on the linked article...

It's exactly the opposite of what Sprint's policy just became. We are supposed to attempt to re-flash approved software first, and if the problem still happens, to swap the phone out.