Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I wouldn't bother changing his custom title, it wouldn't stay changed long. He has powerful enemies. If only he'd put that discount on my mom's account like I asked :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Krittick posted:

He should check his PMs first. I bought him a gift certificate for one the other day. Dude is helpful as gently caress.

Oh I checked it, I havent applied anything yet due to focusing on not being an unemployed bum. Much appreciated.

big mean giraffe posted:

I wouldn't bother changing his custom title, it wouldn't stay changed long. He has powerful enemies. If only he'd put that discount on my mom's account like I asked :argh:

Yeah I have dropped the ball on that one. All she has to do though is stop by a sprint store and she is set.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what

TheBlackMallard posted:

My wife installed the Optimus update yesterday and hasn't had any problems so far.
My wife installed GB on her Optimus S yesterday and was all excited when the phone seemed to overall be running smoother. Then it didn't charge at all last night. Turns out her phone doesn't like the USB wall charger charger anymore. Works fine plugged into a computer though, so it's not the end of the world or anything.

I'm assuming taking it to the store won't fix anything and an update is coming hopefully sooner rather than later.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
I'm going to hold off until 4:30ish or so to see if the lady at Employee Services calls back. I tweeted Ben Popken at the Consumerist about it, and he told me to use the Consumerist hotline for Sprint.

Woo.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Voodoo posted:

My wife installed GB on her Optimus S yesterday and was all excited when the phone seemed to overall be running smoother. Then it didn't charge at all last night. Turns out her phone doesn't like the USB wall charger charger anymore. Works fine plugged into a computer though, so it's not the end of the world or anything.

I'm assuming taking it to the store won't fix anything and an update is coming hopefully sooner rather than later.

Is it the official LG wall charger? If so rake it in , you may be able to swap it.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Whelp...I got my answer regarding Premier. I got a letter in the mail today -

"Your phone ending in XXXX is eligible for the Sprint Premier Annual Upgrade starting on 06/01/2011. You will be able to take advantage of that upgrade through 03/31/2012. Rest Assured, after that date you may continue to be eligible for upgrade discounts under the Sprint New for You Upgrade Program."

So...gently caress. Looks like I'll be getting the Nexus Prime (if Sprint even gets it) within the next few months...and after that I may look into jumping ship elsewhere.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

I spoke to a Tiffany in Employee Care today, and we established who said what and what offers were made...

...and then, "Sorry, we can't offer that." Then "Download handcent." Which...doesn't change the keyboard.

Next up, tomorrow morning, Sprint's Consumerist Hotline. I'm totally willing to buy it on eBay, I just want to know why it was offered, why it's acknowledged it was offered, why they quoted me the price with shipping even though they knew I wasn't eligible for upgrade, and why they can't deliver on that after I accepted the offer.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Handcent...as in the SMS app?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint-4g-data-plans-changing

Wow, Sprint. How many more perks can you kill off?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

brc64 posted:

http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint-4g-data-plans-changing

Wow, Sprint. How many more perks can you kill off?

No kidding...Whereas Sprint was the "scrappy underdog rebel" that I couldn't help but root for a year ago...now they're really no different from AT&T or Verizon...and with worse coverage and spectrum that doesn't penetrate buildings as well.

It's becoming hard to justify staying with Sprint.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Ozmodiar posted:

No kidding...Whereas Sprint was the "scrappy underdog rebel" that I couldn't help but root for a year ago...now they're really no different from AT&T or Verizon...and with worse coverage and spectrum that doesn't penetrate buildings as well.

It's becoming hard to justify staying with Sprint.

This latest kick in the balls doesn't really affect me, but still, it's sad to see them take away the things that gave them an advantage over other carriers one by one.

Next week: Sprint announces its plans to provide data service only, splitting their voice service off into a new company called Talkish.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

The Electronaut posted:

Handcent...as in the SMS app?

Yes. Exactly. I knew it wouldn't, but figured I'd entertain the request.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
So I understand GB made the phone generally lovely, but I don't get the keyboard bit. Are we talking about the change from the Froyo keyboard to Gingerbread? Or is there some crap LG keyboard on these devices.

If the former, what's wrong with the GB keyboard, I thought everyone liked it?

If the latter, why not install the GB keyboard from the Market?

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

The GB keyboard is great on a screen larger than 3.2". I have fat ugly fingers, and the FY keyboard on the Optimus S is just right for my usage.

It's the stock GB keyboard, as well.

Edit: here's a quick comparison shot of the keyboards.

Matlock fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 22, 2011

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
I don't quite understand why Sprint is killing off so many perks with the iphone soon to be released. If they still had all their perks then I'm sure more people would be willing to join sprint and get an iphone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Drevoak posted:

I don't quite understand why Sprint is killing off so many perks with the iphone soon to be released. If they still had all their perks then I'm sure more people would be willing to join sprint and get an iphone.

Because the iPhone is ridiculously expensive? In all seriousness, Sprint is not just killing a bunch of user end features, but commissions to reps have already gotten cut too. The claims are that instant rebates for any phones that are $199 or higher are really expensive, and honestly to a point I do believe them. The list price for the current crop of Android phones is $550, so for a $199 sales price that is a $350 subsidization by Sprint (and more if you count the current port credit). Considering that Sprint charges less than AT&T/Verizon and has to pay more fees to said two carriers, it is a big margin to make up for within the 2 years. And that is not even factoring in Apple charges even loving more for their retarded phone than Android makers do.

Sprint's problem is still the same: most people are on its CDMA network, and because backhaul at some point goes through AT&T/Verizon, its more expensive for Sprint to provide cell service than it is for frickin AT&T. That was the big goal of Clearwire WiMax 4G that failed, to get away from that (Clearwire 4G goes through microwave I believe, so it bypasses the backhaul of most towers).

I'll be the first to bitch about Sprint speeds, but with TMobile up in the air (either bought out or out of business in some aspect), the question also comes down to "what choices do you have now?" So far in terms of customer service, value, etc, Sprint is offering a decent value vs AT&T and Verizon. Honestly, Sprint never has claimed to be the cheap carrier, and judging them that way is a mistake. Its supposed to be a one stop shop to get what you want at one good rate.

And to add to that, once TMobile eventually goes away (and it likely will, sadly enough), for those who have poor credit, need savings, or just don't want Verizon/AT&T, what choice do you have otherwise? If you think Sprint Internet currently is slow, spend a day with a Cricket phone: its absolutely awful coverage and reception wise.

iroguebot
Feb 15, 2001

Nerf this!

Sorry if this is pointed out in the OP, I admit I looked but didn't see if this was one of the proving points that fell under the ERPR section... If I already have a Sprint account, there's no way I can get the ERPR discount is there? My HTC Hero I got from here two years ago for 99 cents is tanking on me hard, I'd like a Nexus S, since it's about sixty dollars cheaper than the EVO, and I really don't want to add ten.. then twenty just for a new phone. Granted, I'm bitching about a phone I got for less than a dollar before, and this one which is sitting at twenty-nine dollars currently.

And edit: When I've tried previously to fill out the ERPR form in the OP, everything goes good until I get to the checkout, and the last thing I want to do is add a entire new account on accident, so this is where I'm assuming it's a big fat negative?

Edit #2: Thanks man. VV

iroguebot fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 22, 2011

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
No, you can't do EPRP on an existing account.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Because the iPhone is ridiculously expensive? In all seriousness, Sprint is not just killing a bunch of user end features, but commissions to reps have already gotten cut too. The claims are that instant rebates for any phones that are $199 or higher are really expensive, and honestly to a point I do believe them. The list price for the current crop of Android phones is $550, so for a $199 sales price that is a $350 subsidization by Sprint (and more if you count the current port credit). Considering that Sprint charges less than AT&T/Verizon and has to pay more fees to said two carriers, it is a big margin to make up for within the 2 years. And that is not even factoring in Apple charges even loving more for their retarded phone than Android makers do.

Sprint's problem is still the same: most people are on its CDMA network, and because backhaul at some point goes through AT&T/Verizon, its more expensive for Sprint to provide cell service than it is for frickin AT&T. That was the big goal of Clearwire WiMax 4G that failed, to get away from that (Clearwire 4G goes through microwave I believe, so it bypasses the backhaul of most towers).

I'll be the first to bitch about Sprint speeds, but with TMobile up in the air (either bought out or out of business in some aspect), the question also comes down to "what choices do you have now?" So far in terms of customer service, value, etc, Sprint is offering a decent value vs AT&T and Verizon. Honestly, Sprint never has claimed to be the cheap carrier, and judging them that way is a mistake. Its supposed to be a one stop shop to get what you want at one good rate.

And to add to that, once TMobile eventually goes away (and it likely will, sadly enough), for those who have poor credit, need savings, or just don't want Verizon/AT&T, what choice do you have otherwise? If you think Sprint Internet currently is slow, spend a day with a Cricket phone: its absolutely awful coverage and reception wise.

The problem that Sprint has is exactly that they don't own a backhaul network anymore and their IP network keeps getting worse and worse. While everyone thinks that it is cheap for Verizon and AT&T, but they too also lease some of the backhaul, they just get to lease less of it. I work for a company who's wireline customers are all of the major wireless providers. The other problem that Sprint has is that they relied on roaming agreements for much of their network and now they have to look into expanding their own coverage as LTE doesn't roam easily. The expansion is going to cost them and they're having to pass that cost onto the customers. Like I said Sprint doesn't have the wireleline business that AT&T and Verizon do that they also get to make money on.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
I seem to remember that when SprintPCS came about, it was in a good position because Sprint owned a lot of backhaul and could wire up the towers. If Sprint (after it removed the PCS part of its name) gave away its own favorable position (no doubt to become "lean" and "focus on its core business") then that's its own fault.

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

MBAs not looking out for the long term growth of a business in favor of short term gains in the numbers on the books? Color me shocked.

To add some more content, has there been any more rumors about Nexus Prime? It's really quiet for a phone that is supposed to be on shelves next month.

Appachai fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Sep 22, 2011

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/22/install-windows-8-onto-your-htc-shift-today-give-it-a-reason-to/

Windows 8 on the shift~~

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I wonder if Sprint will crack down on roaming data now too. A few months ago I used pdanet and a laptop and pulled down a few gigs off a Verizon tower with no issue, and I roam all the time at work too.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Because you posted this in the Sprint thread; I thought this was about the HTC Evo Shift 4G--the phone. Turns out it's some odd duck micropc HTC Shift that originally ran Vista. I assume it's an x86 device? I didn't think ARM support was released in the Win8 Developer Preview.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

goku chewbacca posted:

Because you posted this in the Sprint thread; I thought this was about the HTC Evo Shift 4G--the phone. Turns out it's some odd duck micropc HTC Shift that originally ran Vista. I assume it's an x86 device? I didn't think ARM support was released in the Win8 Developer Preview.

Oh, huh I thought it was the phone too actually. Durr

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I currently have a TP2 on the SERO $30 plan. My phone is starting to die...is there something like a TP3 I should get, or is this the end of the line?

Should I just wait for the iphone...how much would that add to my plan(10+10?)

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

We don't know iPhone pricing yet, or whether it'll even be allowed on SERO - that would be the cheapest iPhone plan ever.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Just adding fuel to the rumor fire:
iPhone 5 specs

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Just adding fuel to the rumor fire:
iPhone 5 specs

This list is complete bullshit.

It's a list of uncited rumors and fan boy wish list found on forums and blogs.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

LorneReams posted:

I currently have a TP2 on the SERO $30 plan. My phone is starting to die...is there something like a TP3 I should get, or is this the end of the line?

$10 if they don't require the "premium data" addon. $20 if they do.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

LorneReams posted:

Basically the end of the line. Anything above winmo6 is still an 'iconic' device and requires Sero Premium ($40), and anything with 4g requires an extra Premium Data fee (+$10). AFAIK, non-iconic smartphones (tp2 is your best option here) can still be activated at the $30 price*, as can dumbphones, but you're never getting anything newer.

Nobody knows anything about the iphone. Theoretically, it should fall into one of those price points, but nobody would be surprised if sprint threw out some new exception or surcharge (anything from 'Premium Data fee, even if it's 3g' to 'extra $15 superpremium multimedia data fee' to 'no ios devices on sero, period').

*other knowledgeable people here have stated otherwise -- in which case only a tep replacement of your tp2 will let you have a 'new' $30/mo smartphone -- but russ mcguire confirmed that exact scenario (1, confirmed in the next comment) in his blog when the last smartphone fee changes happened, and I don't think anything has officially contradicted that since.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Sprint Support Roundup Part 3:

I called the Consumerist linked Exec Support line; they couldn't access my account since I'm on SERO (welp) and stated that the offer was not valid nor did they have any idea why the offer was made.

Edit: And I just now got an email for them sending out an LG Optimus S with notification it would be $100-$120 for the replacement and not $35 as was stated on the phone.

Matlock fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 22, 2011

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

If they allow the iPhone on SERO at all, it will certainly require a premium plan. I just made the switch from the TP2 to a Photon and I'm feeling a lot of ambivalence. It's nice to have a "real" smartphone, but I can't shake the feeling that I'm paying $20/mo extra for a phone that seems to only be useful when I'm around a power outlet.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Appachai posted:

MBAs not looking out for the long term growth of a business in favor of short term gains in the numbers on the books? Color me shocked.

To add some more content, has there been any more rumors about Nexus Prime? It's really quiet for a phone that is supposed to be on shelves next month.

There's a keyboard rumor, might be a separate model or some carrier is getting the short end of the stick. Just hoping it's not Sprint because I don't need an extra fat phone.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Matlock posted:

Sprint Support Roundup Part 3:
Alright, seriously, if you could just get your existing Optimus S back to Froyo 2.2.2, would you be happy? If you have an hour, and are mildly technically competent, you can do that much yourself.

I assume prior to the OTA update you were running "VD", Android 2.2.2, for which an OTA came out in March maybe? You can revert to earlier versions too if you want.

Anyways, follow the instructions in this thread to revert your phone to an older firmware image. A few notes:

First, the directions assume you're reverting to V9 but you probably want to revert to VD--see the "Substitute these steps to Force Flash VD" section for the details, but basically the only difference is downloading the VD (not V9) firmware image, and checking against its checksum.

Second, stop at "s) Step 4 - Complete". Your phone should be good as new at that point. You don't have to root, and if you do want to root don't worry about what the rest of that page says, you can root from VD just fine.

Now, if you get bombarded with a message to apply an OTA update right away, don't. But if Sprint acknowledges the OTA is buggy they should've pulled it, they have before.

In the future when you get an OTA update, it'll probably be for GB. You can just ignore them if you want, but otherwise if folks report that the next GB is good, you can update, but you'll lose the Froyo keyboard. For that, there's a few options:

Root, before updating to GB, following the directions in this thread. Make sure to take a nandroid backup. Then if you update to GB you can restore the old Froyo keyboard by copying the LatinIME.apk and libjni_latinime.so files from your backup back over.

Alternatively, start looking for a keyboard replacement on the Market that suits your purposes. It might not be ideal, but it's a good option because you can keep using that same keyboard after a GB update or whatever. You might even like it better.

I suppose you could also pester a developer to take the Froyo keyboard code and make it a standalone package, kind of like how there's a standalone Gingerbread Keyboard that's installable on Froyo devices.

Edit: Actually, Sprint Repair Centers should have this very same capability to flash device firmware. I don't know why none of the customer service folks didn't mention it. But if you're not comfortable doing it yourself, call a repair center, tell them you got the GB OTA and it sucks and you're wondering if they can do a full reflash to the latest Froyo. It might cost $35 to have them do it if you don't have TEP, although frankly the repair center pricing is an utter mystery to me so who knows.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 22, 2011

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

I'll look into that tonight, it's a pretty helpful post.

As for Sprint Repair Centers; I took my phone to one and they denied it could be done. Tech Support noted the same.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Matlock posted:

I'll look into that tonight, it's a pretty helpful post.
Hope it works out for you then.

Matlock posted:

As for Sprint Repair Centers; I took my phone to one and they denied it could be done. Tech Support noted the same.
Wow, that's bullshit. Now I totally sympathize with your phone wars.

Seriously though, I imagine devices show up at the repair center all the time with a hosed ROM, either from rooting, malware, or just 'cause. One of the easiest things to do to fix that is a USB flash. That's why this software exists. They either have it and are bullshitting you because they suck, or they don't have it and someone really dropped the ball on that. Would they really send every "it doesn't bootup" device to LG?

I vaguely recall that when the first Epic Froyo update came out, the one that broke the Camcorder because of a silly API bug and made folks furious, repair centers offered to flash back to Eclair. Maybe they didn't and I'm dreaming it. But they totally can, and should if they're going to release updates that suck poo poo and not really give consumers the option to downgrade themselves.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
The writing is on the wall:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2011/09/sprint-customers-new-and-old-get-hotspot-data-cap-of-5gb.ars

What bothers me is that nobody was grandfathered in to unlimited 4G data. When Verizon took away unlimited data from phones recently, they allowed you to keep your unlimited plans. You could even sign up for unlimited hotspot for a week after the tiered data (and tiered hotspot) came about.

How can Sprint get away with modifying the terms of the contract willy-nilly?

They basically sold the service saying "We're the only carrier that'll give you unlimited data, come sign with us" and then turn around say "ha ha fooled ya."

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Good thing that doesn't affect phones alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Mark Larson posted:

How can Sprint get away with modifying the terms of the contract willy-nilly?
Perhaps in part because the mobile hotspot add-on isn't a contractual feature, you can put it on and take it off anytime.

Now, if someone wanted to bail out of their phone contract because they only bought into it believing they'd get unlimited hotspot data through the duration of the contract, sounds like a good reason to bitch to get out ETF free.

Mark Larson posted:

They basically sold the service saying "We're the only carrier that'll give you unlimited data, come sign with us" and then turn around say "ha ha fooled ya."
They still have unlimited phone data. Actually I was under the impression there was always a 5 GB hotspot cap, guess not. Did there used to be? Hell, I thought Verizon had one too. Maybe for USB sticks?