Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The Evo 4G LTE is shipping Thursday.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a car mount? Most of them have terribly large claspers or whatever that press buttons and block ports, and are overpriced for the cheap plastic they're made of. Windshield mounts make people want to break into your car, and block your field of view. I'm terrified that dash friction mounts will come loose in a turn and send my phone out the window. Cupholder mounts put the phone in a stupid location. I just haven't seen anything reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

FogHelmut posted:

Does anyone have a suggestion for a car mount? Most of them have terribly large claspers or whatever that press buttons and block ports, and are overpriced for the cheap plastic they're made of. Windshield mounts make people want to break into your car, and block your field of view. I'm terrified that dash friction mounts will come loose in a turn and send my phone out the window. Cupholder mounts put the phone in a stupid location. I just haven't seen anything reasonable.

I'm sure someone will make a mount specific to it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Giblet posted:

I'm sure someone will make a mount specific to it.

That could literally take years. Outside of protector cases, device-specific accessories for Android devices are slow to come to market.

Currently, I have a SoundGate M2 for my original Evo 4G, which doesn't seem to be made anymore. This was a great solution in 2010 because no one had made a specific mount for the Evo yet. As someone recommended on these forums, I bought one of these snap in cases and glued the attachment disk for the mount to it. It worked well enough, but I can't seem to find a similar style case for the Evo 4G LTE. This just snaps in and out real easy, so it is ideal. A full case with the attachment disk is too cumbersome to pop in and out of, and I don't want to carry something that bulky around.

tl;dr - I have specific needs and I want manufacturers to create something specific for me, and to do it now, and sell it cheaply.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

FogHelmut posted:

That could literally take years. Outside of protector cases, device-specific accessories for Android devices are slow to come to market.

Currently, I have a SoundGate M2 for my original Evo 4G, which doesn't seem to be made anymore. This was a great solution in 2010 because no one had made a specific mount for the Evo yet. As someone recommended on these forums, I bought one of these snap in cases and glued the attachment disk for the mount to it. It worked well enough, but I can't seem to find a similar style case for the Evo 4G LTE. This just snaps in and out real easy, so it is ideal. A full case with the attachment disk is too cumbersome to pop in and out of, and I don't want to carry something that bulky around.

tl;dr - I have specific needs and I want manufacturers to create something specific for me, and to do it now, and sell it cheaply.

I guess I'm spoiled with Samsung putting out car docks for most of their top end phones. HTC made one for the first EVO so one would hope that they make one for this phone too.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Giblet posted:

I guess I'm spoiled with Samsung putting out car docks for most of their top end phones. HTC made one for the first EVO so one would hope that they make one for this phone too.

Yeah, I think it's just HTC that isn't quick with that stuff. I was talking to a buddy who claimed his Motorola Droid had every specific dock, mount, and accessory on launch day. Searching for HTC seems to be largely universal docks and mounts until a 3rd party gets around to making something.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

IRC - Its nothing more than multiplayer notepad.

FogHelmut posted:

Yeah, I think it's just HTC that isn't quick with that stuff. I was talking to a buddy who claimed his Motorola Droid had every specific dock, mount, and accessory on launch day. Searching for HTC seems to be largely universal docks and mounts until a 3rd party gets around to making something.

With the EVO 3D, there was a nav mount produced specifically for it by a 3rd party fairly soon after it came out, but you're right though in the fact that the official HTC-produced mount took a lot longer to appear. That said, I own the 3rd party mount for my 3VO, and it works perfectly fine - possibly better than the OEM mount, due to the fact that it was made to be able to properly fit the phone even with a TPU case on it. The 3rd party mount is made by a company called 'igrip', so keep an eye on them.

I'm sure you'll see something similar happen for the new EVO as well.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Well this sucks, just got an email from Amazon and my EVO LTE now has a shipping date of July 5. I really hope this is just Amazon covering their asses, and not the actual date I should expect to get my phone.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

FogHelmut posted:

I think I've posted this somewhere before, but I use Bracketron branded mounts for my OG EVO4G in the car and have really liked them. I've used the windshield, and the car vent mount. Both work well in my experience. The nice thing is that the pads used to grip the sides are re-configurable, so you can adjust them to miss your buttons, etc. Would be nice to have a dock that could have power incorporated rather than having to drape a cord on my dash though...

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B
I really wanted the Evo 4g LTE but after seeing this video concerning its inability to multitask, I can't believe HTC hosed up ICS so badly. Hopefully SG3 turns out better. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Uo5f2vSxo

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

dundun posted:

I really wanted the Evo 4g LTE but after seeing this video concerning its inability to multitask, I can't believe HTC hosed up ICS so badly. Hopefully SG3 turns out better. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Uo5f2vSxo

I'm sure they will have a fix for this pretty quick. It looks like there are some extra memory management utilities in Sense that are not playing nicely with ICS.

Edit - also, according to comments of that youtube video, this issue was addressed in a patch about a week ago

traslin fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 23, 2012

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B

traslin posted:

I'm sure they will have a fix for this pretty quick. It looks like there are some extra memory management utilities in Sense that are not playing nicely with ICS.

Edit - also, according to comments of that youtube video, this issue was addressed in a patch about a week ago

According to HTC theres no issue, its how they designed Sense to operate http://www.androidauthority.com/htc-one-x-multitasking-problem-apps-killed-off-86498/

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
If I have a family plan and want to port ONE of the numbers to google voice (the permanent pay way, not that free Sprint way), will it cancel my whole plan?

I ask this because the Google voice FAQ: "Your mobile phone service plan will be terminated when you port your number to Google Voice and your carrier may charge you an early termination fee."

But I still have 2 other numbers? I asked Sprint email help and they weren't helpful.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

CatchrNdRy posted:

If I have a family plan and want to port ONE of the numbers to google voice (the permanent pay way, not that free Sprint way), will it cancel my whole plan?

I ask this because the Google voice FAQ: "Your mobile phone service plan will be terminated when you port your number to Google Voice and your carrier may charge you an early termination fee."

But I still have 2 other numbers? I asked Sprint email help and they weren't helpful.

It won't cancel your whole plan, but it would cancel that specific number. If you don't want to cancel that number call retentions before porting and tell them hat you want to do, they should be able to arrange to then give you a new number.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

traslin posted:

From what I can tell this is actually intended behavior so I wouldn't hold your breath waiting on a fix. And even if there is a fix incoming I'd plan on it moving about as fast as the Evo 3D ICS update (which is to say, ridiculously slow).

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

tomguycot posted:

From what I can tell this is actually intended behavior so I wouldn't hold your breath waiting on a fix. And even if there is a fix incoming I'd plan on it moving about as fast as the Evo 3D ICS update (which is to say, ridiculously slow).

If that is intended behavior... :smith:

I was hoping for great great things EVO LTE, why are you letting me down?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Krime posted:

If that is intended behavior... :smith:

I was hoping for great great things EVO LTE, why are you letting me down?

It isn't a Nexus?

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Duckman2008 posted:

It won't cancel your whole plan, but it would cancel that specific number. If you don't want to cancel that number call retentions before porting and tell them hat you want to do, they should be able to arrange to then give you a new number.

call retentions, got it thanks

UndergroundHero
Feb 1, 2005

Throw reason right out the fuckin' window.
I was finally able today to buy out the rest of my contract to be rid of my awful Samsung Transform (hooray!) and I got myself an iPhone 4S.

I love it so far but I'm noticing a few text related problems. First of all, I accidently shut off iMessage and now it won't activate with my phone number, only my e-mail. Second, everytime I try to send an SMS it gets about 95% and fails. Lastly I've received the same message from a friend about 10 times during the course of the evening.

I've only been at home and using my airrave for service, and I know sometimes it doesn't work well with texts, but could it be causing these many problems?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Duckman2008 posted:

It isn't a Nexus?

This should be the textbook answer to drat near every "why is it so slowwww"? question regarding phones like the EVO LTE where they're incredibly good on paper but saddled drat near to the breaking point with shitware.

I should post it every drat page for good measure, but keep in mind that the Nexus S 4G (thanks Duckman2008!) I had was faster than the EVO 3D I also had at the same time - side by side tests in usability and all. The UI was smooth as butter, ICS was/is loving gorgeous, and it didn't turn into the little handwarmer my 3D did under the crushing load of web browsing for more than a few minutes. The only thing I could find as a negative with the NS4G was that splash screens seemed to stay for a hair longer than the 3D. I don't mean anything on the order of a few seconds longer, but after using stuff like facebook and groupon for months with my 3D I had gotten used to a very specific length of time for that splash screen to last. It took a second, second and a half longer.

When I looked up the specs, I realized why that was the case. The loving internals on the NS4G were drat near identical to the Epic 4G. The loving Epic with the slidey keyboard and the slow-rear end everything? Yeah, that one. 1GHz single core processor, 512MB of RAM, so on and so forth. Compared to the 3D which was a 1.2GHz dual core with a gig of RAM. Of course the phone with half the processor and half the RAM would take longer to load an app, but everything else? Oh, right. Sense/Touchwhiz.

Ever since that epiphany (and my subsequent purchase of a Galaxy Nexus) my mantra has been the following:

gently caress Non-Nexus Phones.

gently caress 'em long, gently caress 'em hard. It's been shown to me in clear enough terms that the carrier/manufacturer customization that gets heaped on non-Nexus devices is equivalent to taking a big ol' splattery poo poo all over them. It bogs down the phone and throws up all sorts of hurdles in third-party development. I'm sure it works for some, but I've seen the promised land as far as I'm concerned.

And the promised land doesn't have flippy weather clocks.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 12:33 on May 24, 2012

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

The Entire Universe posted:

gently caress Non-Nexus Phones.

I will say the OG EVO is one of the best phones I ever had (after getting root), and I am sure that the EVO LTE will not be a bad phone (once it is rooted and you can put MIUI on it should be great). That said when anyone ask me I tell them they shouldn't buy any phone that is not a iPhone or a Nexus.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

nate fisher posted:

I will say the OG EVO is one of the best phones I ever had (after getting root), and I am sure that the EVO LTE will not be a bad phone (once it is rooted and you can put MIUI on it should be great). That said when anyone ask me I tell them they shouldn't buy any phone that is not a iPhone or a Nexus.

The EVO 4G was a really good phone, but the fact that you had to root it says a lot. It had a very active firmware community and it also had great cyanogenmod 7 support. If it hadn't had those things, most people would probably be bitching about how slow it was compared to the Nexus One, which had nearly identical hardware.

Today, there are so many phone, so many variations of the same phone on different carriers, so many SoC platforms, few phones get the level of support that the EVO 4G did from firmware hackers and the like.

What I am getting at is that for the most part, you should probably expect the phone you buy to be the phone you end up using instead of assuming that someone else is going to fix it's software or that it's going to get a cyanogenmod port or what ever.

I bought a Galaxy Nexus. That phone is like a handjob, and you get the handjob every time you turn the phone on. It's so smooth and responsive. And the best part is, I didn't have to fix it to make it that way. It was that way out of the box. I also am real happy that when Jelly Bean comes out here in 5 or 6 months, my phone will get it fairly quick.

Look at the HTX One X / EVO LTE. Already we have found out that HTC has hosed with the software in such a way that it has screwed up memory management for who knows what reason. And I can't wait to find out what else that ends up breaking. And who knows what their update cycle is going to be like. They have been promising faster updates for a while now and the EVO 3D still doesn't have ICS and doesn't look like it will get it till July.

I am sorry, but gently caress Non-Nexus Phones

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
I sold my EVO 3D on Craigslist and bought a GNex a few weeks ago. It's a much better, more integrated, less animationy, experience. Probably gonna stick with stock Android from here on out.

Time to go through my GMail contacts and remove all these "<HTCDATA>" tags. Thanks for that HTC.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Lowen SoDium posted:

Today, there are so many phone, so many variations of the same phone on different carriers, so many SoC platforms, few phones get the level of support that the EVO 4G did from firmware hackers and the like.

I know it would never happen but I would love to see Android end (or limit) some of the fragmentation that is hurting it. Actually all they have to do is make Nexus phones in house, and push them the way Apple pushes the iPhone. Nexus should dominate the Android market share. Instead the average consumer has no idea what a Nexus is or the difference between a $49 Android phone and a top of the line Android phone. Also I don't think Sprint will ever see another Android phone that is successful as the EVO (I could be wrong).

My only complaints about the Nexus is timing. The Nexus should be available to all major carriers on the same day (like the iPhone is now).

Jensen posted:

Time to go through my GMail contacts and remove all these "<HTCDATA>" tags. Thanks for that HTC.

Those <HTCDATA> tags followed me to everywhere until I went to iPhone. I know I was lazy.

Edit: I just checked and I still have some contacts with the <HTCDATA> tags (in the notes field) on my iPhone.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 24, 2012

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

nate fisher posted:

I know it would never happen but I would love to see Android end (or limit) some of the fragmentation that is hurting it.

Well, hopefully the latest news about Google getting multiple manufacturers to make a line of Nexus phones will help. As long as they have to stick to stock Android, it could be a big boon.

Of course, they would have to sell...but Google is just plain bad at marketing. But if Google lets HTC and Samsung not only make, but sell, their own Nexus phones, they will get a lot more spotlight. And God only knows what this Motorola merger thing will lead to...a Moto Nexus? I don't know...from what I understand, the only good thing Moto has going for it, hardware wise, is cell radios.

gently caress it, I got a new idea: get every manufacturer to just give the one thing their best at for the Ultimate Nexus.
Screen from Samsung or HTC
Cell radio chips from Moto
Case from Sony

LG can promptly go gently caress themselves. Have they ever made a single good Android phone?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Well I canceled my Evo order through Amazon, after the sixth email they sent asking me to verify I still wanted it. My work phone is a Galaxy Nexus through Verizon, and there are enough things I dislike about it that I don't plan to get one for myself. My original Evo is still going strong, so I guess I'll just wait and see how things shake out.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

nate fisher posted:

I know it would never happen but I would love to see Android end (or limit) some of the fragmentation that is hurting it. Actually all they have to do is make Nexus phones in house, and push them the way Apple pushes the iPhone. Nexus should dominate the Android market share. Instead the average consumer has no idea what a Nexus is or the difference between a $49 Android phone and a top of the line Android phone. Also I don't think Sprint will ever see another Android phone that is successful as the EVO (I could be wrong).

My only complaints about the Nexus is timing. The Nexus should be available to all major carriers on the same day (like the iPhone is now).

I would like to see Google do the "Google Experience" brand thing again, but with tighter controls and requirements on what you can and can't do to use the brand.

I mean, I understand that OEMs want to do things that make their phones different than the competitors. And that's not always a bad thing either.

I mean, look at HTC's camera stuff on the One X phones. They decided that they would make their camera a selling point over other phones and added features like continuous shooting mode, near instant start up, and a really good imaging chip. This was a good thing to add.

But then look at the UI stuff and memory management stuff they have hosed with, and for no good reason other than to make it look and act different. I don't care if they screw with the SMS client or the web browser or any other part of the OS that is a replaceable application. But they screw with the Android framework in ways that can't be fixed.

I think that Google should break out more parts of android to be user replaceable, like the lockscreen (for real, not just hack replacements like widget locker) or the notification tray. Then HTC could mess with that stuff all they want, and people who want stock could just install the stock tray or lockscreen.

Goldmund posted:

Well I canceled my Evo order through Amazon, after the sixth email they sent asking me to verify I still wanted it. My work phone is a Galaxy Nexus through Verizon, and there are enough things I dislike about it that I don't plan to get one for myself. My original Evo is still going strong, so I guess I'll just wait and see how things shake out.

Out of curiosity, what is it that you dislike about your VZW Galaxy Nexus? I have a friend that has it and he had problems with it too, that I did not have with my Sprint version. I believe that the VZW Galaxy Nexus is some what hamstrung by VZW's firmware update polices.

I know I said in my prevoius post that I hate having to gently caress around with roms and stuff, but all of his complaints about is phone were fixed by installing a 4.04 rom.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Lowen SoDium posted:

Out of curiosity, what is it that you dislike about your VZW Galaxy Nexus? I have a friend that has it and he had problems with it too, that I did not have with my Sprint version. I believe that the VZW Galaxy Nexus is some what hamstrung by VZW's firmware update polices.

I know I said in my prevoius post that I hate having to gently caress around with roms and stuff, but all of his complaints about is phone were fixed by installing a 4.04 rom.

I'll admit that a lot of my issues are likely because of Verizon. I've definitely found that call quality and signal strength are both much worse on the GNex than pretty much any other phone I've tried (and I activate probably 20 phones a week for users at my job). It has a terrible time holding on to 4G, and then it doesn't properly switch to 3G when it needs to, making 4G unusable. Battery life I've found is pretty poor, even compared to my old Evo.

My other problems with the phone are purely subjective, but I'm one of those oddballs who prefers Sense. I really dislike the stock ICS dialer and contact manager.

I'd love to throw another ROM on here and see if that fixes things, but I can't do it because of work policies.

pill for your ills
Mar 23, 2006

ghost rock.
After getting a Gnex yesterday and getting it arranged pretty well, the one thing I also miss about Sense is the contact manager. That was pretty seamless. This is probably going to be a pain in the rear end. Other than that, Sense can eat a bowl of dicks.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Goldmund posted:

I think I'm about to do the same. It's doubly annoying since it's the [FREE GIFT] they're adding in. If they set the ship date for the phone to July 2, why not also set the [FREE GIFT] ship date to the same so it doesn't keep telling me every other day "it's been delayed, reapprov plz."

I was hoping the Evo LTE would be a great replacement for my Evo 4G, but the multitasking stuff is making me doubt that. On the other hand, I'm less happy about the GNex being such old hardware to have finally come to Spring, plus it has no SD card slot, so I'll really be limited in what I can store on there after the OS and apps carve their space out of the 32 GB allotment. Its camera software won't be as good, either. On the other hand, it'll have a removable battery, right?

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
How can anyone consider the Evo LTE anything but entirely broken with that multitasking bullshit? Am I missing something here?

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

pill for your ills posted:

After getting a Gnex yesterday and getting it arranged pretty well, the one thing I also miss about Sense is the contact manager. That was pretty seamless. This is probably going to be a pain in the rear end. Other than that, Sense can eat a bowl of dicks.

What, specifically, about the contact manager do you miss?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

How can anyone consider the Evo LTE anything but entirely broken with that multitasking bullshit? Am I missing something here?
Only because my Evo 4G's multitasking doesn't seem to behave that differently (which I always figured was due to RAM starvation, not some intentional Sense change), so it would be similar to what I'm used to already. That's bad reasoning, I know.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

SpelledBackwards posted:

Only because my Evo 4G's multitasking doesn't seem to behave that differently (which I always figured was due to RAM starvation, not some intentional Sense change), so it would be similar to what I'm used to already. That's bad reasoning, I know.

Sounds like a typical Android response, actually.

Even if you buy the Nexus, you're stuck rooting it on day one just to move your apps and settings over with Titanium. It's pretty terrible that Google can't figure out cloud syncing anything more than contacts.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

900ftjesus posted:

Even if you buy the Nexus, you're stuck rooting it on day one just to move your apps and settings over with Titanium. It's pretty terrible that Google can't figure out cloud syncing anything more than contacts.

That's literally the only reason I rooted my GN. If I could have moved over my app data some other way, I would have.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

900ftjesus posted:

Google has figured out how to sync app data across phones, but the developers have to implement it in each of their apps. For example, all of my Dungeon Raid data came over automatically when I installed it on my new phone.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm going to have to see this multitasking issue thing on the Evo 4G LTE in person before I get upset over it. My main concern is the sealed battery crapping out as the 2 year mark approaches, and how that might effect resale. Also, it's convenient to pop in a fresh battery when traveling and there isn't always time or a place to charge.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

I'm going to have to see this multitasking issue thing on the Evo 4G LTE in person before I get upset over it. My main concern is the sealed battery crapping out as the 2 year mark approaches, and how that might effect resale. Also, it's convenient to pop in a fresh battery when traveling and there isn't always time or a place to charge.

Batteries get worse over time. They just do. My battery on my old EVO 3D didn't hold a charge like it did when I first got it. I like to replace the battery every 6 months or so.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

traslin posted:

Google has figured out how to sync app data across phones, but the developers have to implement it in each of their apps. For example, all of my Dungeon Raid data came over automatically when I installed it on my new phone.

I wish Google would implement some sort of UI for managing data back up and restores for apps. When I upgraded to my Galaxy Nexus, none of my data restored from my old phone. Data I know was backed up because I had seen it restore it self after a factory reset on my previous phone.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

peepsalot posted:

I'm really regretting getting a Galaxy Nexus. I thought going with a Nexus was a safe bet, but every loving call I make, the person on the other end complains about the audio cutting out. Is there any chance that some firmware update is gonna fix this poo poo or is the hardware just worthless garbage?

I think I just figured out what the hell is going on. Apparently I'm holding it wrong. I guess I hold my phone weird because i support the bottom of it with my my pinky finger when it's up to my ear. And that's right where they put the tiny hole that i'm assuming is the mic, between the USB and audio jack.

So I guess I'll just train myself to quit holding it like a weirdo. :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

peepsalot posted:

I think I just figured out what the hell is going on. Apparently I'm holding it wrong. I guess I hold my phone weird because i support the bottom of it with my my pinky finger when it's up to my ear. And that's right where they put the tiny hole that i'm assuming is the mic, between the USB and audio jack.

So I guess I'll just train myself to quit holding it like a weirdo. :shepface:

It's always great when you can solve a problem by adjusting where you are putting your pinky.