Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

td4guy posted:

Some people aren't comfortable spending more than $50 on a phone. Ever. Especially with all the free-this and 99-cent-that deals available everywhere. This caters to them.

Gotcha. So how capable are they compared to the EVO 3D/EVO LTE/SGS2, etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2012/07/30/suggestions-for-an-apple-shopping-list/?ref=business

Apparently, Andrew Ross Sorkin thinks Apple should buy Sprint.

I don't forsee any good for that at all, really. For Sprint or Android.

The chances are almost nil but I would love it if Apple bought Sprint. I think you'd immediately see them snap up Clearwire and some additional frequency blocks and expand Network Vision with lots of new cell sites. Whip Dish into the mix and now Apple has no more long-term problems with the ILECs/CableCOs setting up tolls on the Internet... Which is exactly where they are going. With Verizon's wink-wink deal stopping any further FIOS deployment we are doomed to at least another decade or two of slow speeds and shrinking data caps both wirelessly and wired.

Frankly Google, Microsoft, Apple, Netflix, etc all have the same problem. Long-term, the carriers are angry that they aren't in control and earning fat cash off these services and fully intend to move back toward a long-distance type model where you pay for usage, thus effectively "taxing" iCloud, Netflix streaming, Google Play, etc.

If they don't start laying fiber, buying cable/satellite companies, etc then the door will close and further mergers will make the players too big to acquire.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Ender.uNF posted:

The chances are almost nil but I would love it if Apple bought Sprint. I think you'd immediately see them snap up Clearwire and some additional frequency blocks and expand Network Vision with lots of new cell sites. Whip Dish into the mix and now Apple has no more long-term problems with the ILECs/CableCOs setting up tolls on the Internet... Which is exactly where they are going. With Verizon's wink-wink deal stopping any further FIOS deployment we are doomed to at least another decade or two of slow speeds and shrinking data caps both wirelessly and wired.

Frankly Google, Microsoft, Apple, Netflix, etc all have the same problem. Long-term, the carriers are angry that they aren't in control and earning fat cash off these services and fully intend to move back toward a long-distance type model where you pay for usage, thus effectively "taxing" iCloud, Netflix streaming, Google Play, etc.

If they don't start laying fiber, buying cable/satellite companies, etc then the door will close and further mergers will make the players too big to acquire.

I didn't quite think of it that way, but you do have a point. What about Sprint's Android phones and customers, however? Could that be seen as trying to stop the competition from advancing if they buy Sprint and use their money to try and make it so Sprint ONLY uses Apple phones or could they even do that?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ender.uNF posted:

They'd put in caps and that would be the end.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Gotcha. So how capable are they compared to the EVO 3D/EVO LTE/SGS2, etc?
They're pretty much on par with the original EVO. I don't have either one in the store to double check, but in comparison, the Design has a slightly faster processor than the original (but was a little laggy due to Sense 3.5 instead of 3.0), and the Conquer is a bit slower, but for a long time was the cheapest 4G phone available.

We haven't carried either in a long time, and I think they're on their way out. The Conquer is usually free online and I haven't seen the Design in ages except for the occasional service ticket.

Most of the current crop of budget phones also hover around the same specs as the EVO, but with smaller screens. And usually more memory available. The only one that stands out is the Viper, it's a dual core and some people like it because it's about the same size as the iPhone. I don't know how much I trust LG though, after all the Optimus problems I've had to fix.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thanks, I've been sitting on my upgrade since May with a Blackberry 9650 and I've been hemming and hawing about what to do. I think I might try to get a cheap used WiMax phone to just hold me over until LTE is really working in Chicago, then I'll use my upgrade.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

dedian posted:

If anyone's interested in setting up their own build server for CM10 nightlies until they're provided officially, I can share how I set up my environment.

This guy has been building nightlies for a while. I update every few days, no bugs I've noticed.
http://fitsnugly.euroskank.com/?rom=cm10&device=toroplus

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

ThermoPhysical posted:

I didn't quite think of it that way, but you do have a point. What about Sprint's Android phones and customers, however? Could that be seen as trying to stop the competition from advancing if they buy Sprint and use their money to try and make it so Sprint ONLY uses Apple phones or could they even do that?

That's the primary problem I see with a company like Apple directly acquiring Sprint.

However I have mused on an "OpenInternet Access Co" being started with Apple, Google, Microsoft, etc providing the funding. Then you don't have those kinds of issues both from a regulatory perspective and a competitive perspective. It would require them to both be aware of what the carriers are doing and being smart enough to know what that means for their own businesses long-term.

I believe Google and Apple are capable of that but Steve Balmer sure as hell isn't. He thinks too much like an MBA and is desperate to slobber all over Hollywood, ILECs, carriers, or whoever else so long as they agree to use Windows. I don't know if companies like Netflix, Valve, etc are big enough to meaningfully contribute.

Of course they could always try to buy legislation by funding an industry lobbying group, but AT&T, Verizon, Comcast, and Time Warner have a huge head-start on them in that department whereas laying new fiber to homes and setting up cell towers just take money.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Seeing how this thread is pretty drat massive, I am currently running Gingerbread on a GSII Epic 4G blah blah blah. Sprint and Samsung recently sent out the OTA update for ICS. Anyone with the same phone installed the update yet, experiencing the same problems from before? lovely battery life, phone overheating, unresponsive screen etc?

Debating weather or not to roll the dice again and just root the phone and go with ICS in that way, but the last time I attempted to root my old phone, HTC EVO, it had permanently started doing really wonky things. Thoughts recommendations are very welcome, even going the way of rooting the phone which process and mod would be the most recommended.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

traslin posted:

I keep reading all these news releases about how NV is rolling out, but my 4G service in Houston is terrible. More than half the time it just doesn't work, and the times it does work it can't stay connected unless I'm stationary. I know it is early still, but I have not been impressed at all.

I finally got the latest Sprint Gnex update, so I wanted to update my statement above. My phone is now connecting to 4G a lot faster and actually staying connected, so it looks like things are definitely moving in the right direction with the update. I did notice that it seems like it takes a while for the phone to switch back to 3G mode after losing 4G, and I may have the opposite problem of the phone preferring 4G too much now. Regardless, my experience with 4G is vastly improved, so I'm finally feeling somewhat validated in my decision to buy into Sprints 4G network.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Jiro posted:

Seeing how this thread is pretty drat massive, I am currently running Gingerbread on a GSII Epic 4G blah blah blah. Sprint and Samsung recently sent out the OTA update for ICS. Anyone with the same phone installed the update yet, experiencing the same problems from before? lovely battery life, phone overheating, unresponsive screen etc?

Debating weather or not to roll the dice again and just root the phone and go with ICS in that way, but the last time I attempted to root my old phone, HTC EVO, it had permanently started doing really wonky things. Thoughts recommendations are very welcome, even going the way of rooting the phone which process and mod would be the most recommended.
I haven't had any of those issues with ICS on mine but I've been rooted almost since the beginning and I'm using this kernel right now.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="406107247"]
Really? Everything seems incredibly smoother for me. Web page scrolling/panning is really nice, Sense is smoother, and everything looks nicer.

I put an AOSP ICS Rom on my E3D and noticed absolutely no speed improvements. I think once you have good enough hardware the software barely matters.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
I am having one problem with ICS. When I go into Messaging, it brings up a loading screen that just says "please wait". It's been like this for about an hour.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Can somebody save me from having to look at XDA and post a link to the root-friendly Evo 3D ICS update when it's available?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

falz posted:

This guy has been building nightlies for a while. I update every few days, no bugs I've noticed.
http://fitsnugly.euroskank.com/?rom=cm10&device=toroplus

Is this a single flash? Or are you using a custom kernel? It looks like the guy's got a few things as WIP on there, but I rarely dawdle into settings unless it's to choose a wifi network.

Since you've obviously rooted and flashed, are you having any trouble with Google Wallet? I have seen tales of people frying the secure element while flashing. Is there a process I would need to follow?

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

The Entire Universe posted:

Is this a single flash? Or are you using a custom kernel? It looks like the guy's got a few things as WIP on there, but I rarely dawdle into settings unless it's to choose a wifi network.

Since you've obviously rooted and flashed, are you having any trouble with Google Wallet? I have seen tales of people frying the secure element while flashing. Is there a process I would need to follow?

This is my question too. I want to mess around and unlock my SG3 but don't want to bork my Google wallet. How can I go about doing that?

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="406119799"]
I am having one problem with ICS. When I go into Messaging, it brings up a loading screen that just says "please wait". It's been like this for about an hour.

MIne was doing this and I rebooted and it fixed all the waiting messages... I did notice that the browser and chrome browser have a problem with facebook and loading images people posted. Also it seems like if i try and login to a website sometimes the keyboard disappears..

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

thisdude23 posted:

This is my question too. I want to mess around and unlock my SG3 but don't want to bork my Google wallet. How can I go about doing that?

I'm not sure if rooting the device will affect Google Wallet because you don't have to wipe anything in the rooting process, but just to be safe, and also anytime you switch ROMs, you should go into Google Wallet, then hit menu -> settings -> Reset Google Wallet.

Here's the first thread I found about it (I know that's not the SGS3 forum but the process is universal)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I'm not sure if rooting the device will affect Google Wallet because you don't have to wipe anything in the rooting process, but just to be safe, and also anytime you switch ROMs, you should go into Google Wallet, then hit menu -> settings -> Reset Google Wallet.

Here's the first thread I found about it (I know that's not the SGS3 forum but the process is universal)

I assume the problem I face with rooting my GNex, then, is that I have to unlock the bootloader first, which wipes the device?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

fyallm posted:

MIne was doing this and I rebooted and it fixed all the waiting messages... I did notice that the browser and chrome browser have a problem with facebook and loading images people posted. Also it seems like if i try and login to a website sometimes the keyboard disappears..

Mine finally fixed itself. No further complaints about this phone. Everything seems way better.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Thanks!

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005
I've got a question about Sprints replacement policy.

My Evo3D has been acting weird, and about half the time the other person can't hear me, I can't hear them, or both. It's sort of like digital static/going in an out like it has no signal, but my signal is usually really good. It'll even do it sometimes when dialing the number and it's waiting for them to pick up.

I've tried updating the profile and PRL just to say I've done it, and it's still the same I think. It may be anecdotal, but it seems like it works better for the next few minutes, but that doesn't last long.

I have TEP, and was curious if 1 dead pixel was enough for them to exchange it. I'm guessing I could try with the mic/speaker issues, but if them looking at it, seeing a green stuck pixel that never goes away would be any quicker than trying to troubleshoot it, I'd rather do that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

uapyro posted:

I've got a question about Sprints replacement policy.

My Evo3D has been acting weird, and about half the time the other person can't hear me, I can't hear them, or both. It's sort of like digital static/going in an out like it has no signal, but my signal is usually really good. It'll even do it sometimes when dialing the number and it's waiting for them to pick up.

I've tried updating the profile and PRL just to say I've done it, and it's still the same I think. It may be anecdotal, but it seems like it works better for the next few minutes, but that doesn't last long.

I have TEP, and was curious if 1 dead pixel was enough for them to exchange it. I'm guessing I could try with the mic/speaker issues, but if them looking at it, seeing a green stuck pixel that never goes away would be any quicker than trying to troubleshoot it, I'd rather do that.

Take it into a store and they have s good chance of swapping it.

In response the the Design and Conquer: cheap phones for cheap people, they especially sell when when they go on sale for $0-50.

I just got an email saying ICS for the Evo 3D is going t start rolling out. Take with a grain of salt, first I heard of it.

Anyone who wants to sign up on a normal plan, I can get new sprint customers a Galaxy Nexus for free this Friday, Saturday and Sunday. FYI.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Duckman2008 posted:

I just got an email saying ICS for the Evo 3D is going t start rolling out. Take with a grain of salt, first I heard of it.
It's out there. I'm just waiting for somebody to fix the update so I can install it on my rooted stock phone.

This seems to be the thread to watch, as far as I can tell:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1808150

(The links in the OP, as of right now, are NOT the rooted versions, they're the official update)

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Anyone who wants to sign up on a normal plan, I can get new sprint customers a Galaxy Nexus for free this Friday, Saturday and Sunday. FYI.

Is this including family plans?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Duckman2008 posted:

As brc said, it's been live since at least this morning. Just run an 'HTC Software Update' and your 3D using customers can get ICS. I've been running it since this morning, and I've never rooted or flashed my 3D, but I'm pretty happy with it.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
So I've got an upgrade coming up in a few months. I have an Evo 4G that I'll hopefully be rid of then, if I can find the right phone. Is there something coming out soonish that has a hardware keyboard and won't be a piece of poo poo, or something without a keyboard, with around a 4" screen that won't be a piece of poo poo? I'm kind of tired of having a largish screen and just want something that fits nice, and I'm burned out on touchscreen keyboards too, unless I find one that's just right.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

bobula posted:

So I've got an upgrade coming up in a few months. I have an Evo 4G that I'll hopefully be rid of then, if I can find the right phone. Is there something coming out soonish that has a hardware keyboard and won't be a piece of poo poo, or something without a keyboard, with around a 4" screen that won't be a piece of poo poo? I'm kind of tired of having a largish screen and just want something that fits nice, and I'm burned out on touchscreen keyboards too, unless I find one that's just right.
If you need a keyboard, the Motorola Photon Q LTE will be coming out soon.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

bobula posted:

New iPhone should have a 4" screen.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="406128857"]
Is this including family plans?

Yes, any new lines.

Hoppy
Oct 20, 2004

Who do you think taught him to jump like that?

bobula posted:

There are not good phones with hardware keyboards because they cater to a very niche market, and the phones typically do not end up well supported. It also introduces a moving part to your phone which increases the chance of eventual failure.

Keep in mind with Android, you can install whatever keyboard you want. While you still have your Evo, give Swiftkey a shot and see if it takes care of your issues.

As far as touchscreen phones with a big screen, both the Evo 4GLTE and Galaxy S3 would fit the bill. I am absolutely in love with my S3.

Unrelated, I got the ICS OTA installed on my wifes Evo3D. Her reaction was "So they just changed the look? Where are all the lifechanging features and whatnot?... can you change it back to the old look?"

ICS with sense 3.6 is pretty underwhelming.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Just had a big system update on my Gnex this morning, what was that about?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Hoppy posted:

Unrelated, I got the ICS OTA installed on my wifes Evo3D. Her reaction was "So they just changed the look? Where are all the lifechanging features and whatnot?... can you change it back to the old look?"

ICS with sense 3.6 is pretty underwhelming.

Funny, I installed ICS on my 3D a couple of hours ago and that is my reaction too. It does seem ever so slightly smoother.

edit: haha text is broken even after a reboot. Guess I will reboot again and see if I can just outwait it. "Loading..."

Loucks fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Aug 1, 2012

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Hoppy posted:

Isn't that exactly what Sense does to ICS anyways? Give it the old look?

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
So I think the microphone in my epic 4g touch has gone bad. Apparently I sound robotic and staticky to everyone I call. This happens regardless of signal strength, different carriers, etc. Is this a known issue that happens with this phone sometimes, and how easy will it be for me to swap this phone for another epic touch or an equivalent phone if I pay for TEP?

Also what other phones, if any, could I swap for?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Isn't that exactly what Sense does to ICS anyways? Give it the old look?

Yeah, pretty much. Basically change the fonts/icons to make it appear cleaner/smoother, add the ICS multitasking menu, and change the launcher at the bottom of the screen to a webOS style dock. That's not the full extent of the changes, some of the apps have been reworked as well, like the browser but that's the jist of it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Stumpalitious posted:

So I think the microphone in my epic 4g touch has gone bad. Apparently I sound robotic and staticky to everyone I call. This happens regardless of signal strength, different carriers, etc. Is this a known issue that happens with this phone sometimes, and how easy will it be for me to swap this phone for another epic touch or an equivalent phone if I pay for TEP?

Also what other phones, if any, could I swap for?

Just take it into a store, mics usually can't be swapped so they would order you s new phone. Refurbs are back ordered so they have new units available, so I would go in asap.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

Duckman2008 posted:

Just take it into a store, mics usually can't be swapped so they would order you s new phone. Refurbs are back ordered so they have new units available, so I would go in asap.

Sent you a PM with more questions.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

drat it, I was hoping Sprint Rewards Me Plus might add some more S3 inventory with it being the start of a new month and all, but I guess not. Wondering now if the S3 on there was a one time thing :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Pandora on my E3D won't ever get past 1% buffering, what gives?