Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
It seems like the Nexus will be out by the end of the month. I really don't think I'd use most of the Evo's features and 4g is no where close to my city.

I actually want a Pre 3 but HP seems to willingly lock up information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Maybe people don't like phones that take up their entire pocket and look like a loving brick is in there?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

god this blows posted:

I'm wishing they would announce when the Nexus S and EVO 3d are coming out. I really want a new phone and hate waiting.

Nexus S should be out April 18th if the rumors are right.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

mastershakeman posted:

e/n: Went to sprint stores the last 3 days only to get runarounds, and finally was going to get my broken Pre looked at today. It was about to be fixed, then the tech pulled the battery and declared it corroded and that they wouldn't repair it, even for the $35 fee.

When is the Nexus S coming out :smith:

You can get a new Pre Battery for like 3 dollars shipped on ebay.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Does anyone know if the Nexus S has a night clock feature like the Pre? That is about the one thing I seriously need if I buy a cell phone.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Should I be able to walk into a sprint store and get the Nexus S on sunday?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Anyone know if the 150 dollar Nexus S is for new customers only? Or can it be for people who are off contract with sprint.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

gotly posted:

VVV What is this? Where are you seeing this?

Doh yea it's at Best Buy's online site. Left out a crucial detail.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Is the hotspot stuff still enabled on the Nexus S? I've read it both ways.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
So when you order a phone from Sprint, it takes ~4 business days to get it. :wtf:

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Chappy posted:

It wasn't like this at all. It was a small batch of Google I/O devices that had that issue. It was fixed when they were updated to release software.

This is nearly every nexus s. And its to the point where the phone is unusable. I'm sitting 10 feet from my router and I barely have wifi signal. I have no cellular signal right now.

Honestly any room outside of the room that my router is in my signal strength goes way the gently caress down. It makes me quite sad.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
So at an area marked with "good" coverage with my nexus S. I had 0 bars, (could still make calls) but no 3g at all, even with data roaming. My friend with verizon had 3 bars.

I bought it online. Can i return it to a sprint store to swap with another one to see if that is the issue? I'm still within my 30 days.

I'd like to try to do that and then return it if I get another crap reception one if possible and maybe go back to my Pre until the 3d comes out.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

ThermoPhysical posted:

When I swapped my online bought Nexus S for one in a corporate location due to an LCD defect, they were fine with it and didn't say anything about having bought it online.

Thanks. I might have to return the phone anyways if the reception issue is this widespread.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Returned the online bought nexus to a corporate store today.

Back to the Pre till I see some Evo 3d reviews. Sigh.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

mtr posted:

I want to swap my Sprint account back to my old Treo Pro (bleh) for a couple weeks before the 3D comes out. When I do this online, Sprint says that my account requires a plan change. I currently have the ED450 plan for $69 + the $10 smartphone fee, which I'm assuming applies to the Treo Pro now as well. Is the Treo Pro old enough to not be considered for the $10 fee?

So why require the plan change? I would just click on ED450 again, but I have a corporate discount as well as a monthly reoccurring credit that I don't want to lose.

Because they require all Smart Phones to have the 10 dollar fee now. It tells you that when you originally switch online too. It says you cannot go back to the old plan.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Does anyone know if the Evo 3D is going to support facebook syncing?

That was one of the most annoying features that the Nexus S had disabled because of their ongoing spat with Facebook.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

ThermoPhysical posted:

All this kickstand talk is making me wish I had one on my Nexus S... Anyone know of any cases that would give one?

I bought this one off of ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nexus-S-4G-Kickstand-Case-and-Screen-Protector-USA-/150616970359?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item2311789477

I got rid of my Nexus S though. If you're interested, I could sell it to you for less than that.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

change my name posted:

I just realized that it's really sad that my phone's going to have an hdmi port when my computer doesn't even have one :smith:

Also I can't wait to ditch this stupid rant, who ever thought that a 2.5 mm headphone jack was a good idea?

Your computer doesn't have a DVI port?

Any video card in the last 6 years should have one I would think.

Just use a converter.

However it is video only. Unless you have an ATI card from the last few years, then they have been putting audio down it too.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Has anyone seen anything about the reception of the Evo 3d? for normal 3g?

That was one of the main reasons I took the Nexus S back, reception was awful. Inside a single building I was lucky to get 1 bar of reception and lucky if I could even get any 3g data. This was in a "strong' reception area too.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Man KC has some awesome coverage. I was at 4-5 bars my entire time there and my battery life was awesome.

You would think that they would give a poo poo about their little brother up the road from them in Omaha, but I guess not.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
How come not all my apps transfered to the new phone? Mainly angry birds...

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Myrddin Emrys posted:

What did you do to transfer? The way the market seems to work is that any purchased apps will re-sync with your device, but free apps (like Angry Birds + ads) don't get permanently attached to your account, so you have to manually redownload them.

Are you missing only your free apps?

Looks like it. All my apps were free though, I haven't bought one app ever.

Stuff like fandango, USAA banking apps, and all those redownloaded just fine.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Are any of the antiglare screen protectors worth it for outdoor sunlight use?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
How do I uninstall swype on the evo 3d? I wanted to get the newer version of the beta. Uninstall is not even listed on the application screen.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Is there an option that if you get a phone call to have the keyboard already up? It's pretty annoying to have to hit the keyboard button then 1 for google voice calls.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

spidoman posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for a really cheap hard case for the Evo 3D? Looking to make my own car mount, so basically just need something simple that will keep it's shape...

Ebay is full of stuff like this.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

visuvius posted:

Not yet but I will. I was going to try a few more shots, some outside to see if I could get it right. I think its just me.

What about the demo shots that came preloaded?

My evo 3d front screen becomes unresponsive about once a day where nothing on the front screen responds. Except the area by the launcher at the bottom. Very weird.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
So what happens if you click the sprint mobile hotspot on the evo 3d?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Shed posted:

There are quite a few places that have 4G in development that aren't displayed on the Sprint coverage site. It's a lot more updated on Clearwire's. For example: A small part of Rochester MN, La Crosse WI, and Madison WI are all experiencing 4G. They just aren't up to Sprint's standards yet, though, hence why they are more than likely not displayed on Sprint's site.

Check http://www.clear.com/coverage

I wonder how accurate this map is. I tried around Omaha yesterday and I got absolutely nothing.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
After seeing that touchstone palm pre/evo 3d hack... Man I wish a company would make some legit touchstone compatible backplates for cellphones.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Anyone else getting problems with their 3d with the camera? If I try to take a lot of photos rapidly, the camera app locks up.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I'm really hoping they put out an update to the camera app for the 3D. The slow shutter speed is pretty bad when it comes to taking photos of anything that is moving.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

fuzzi posted:

I hate the the charging port is on the side and not the bottom

I just noticed that the kickstand case for the evo 3d blocks the charing port. Hahaha.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
If anyone was wondering, I think it is the HTC camera app that sucks. I tried a few other ones and the slow shutter speed isn't there.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Duckman2008 posted:

Why not just download an app like CameraZoom? I've used that before, its pretty good. Obviously no 3D, but otherwise would be good.

That is exactly what I said I did?

I just can't believe a built in app sucks so much.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Duckman2008 posted:

Do you have insurance? If so Sprint makes one that is pretty good:

sprint.com/protection

This doesn't work with google voice I take it? I just get cryptic text messages.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

ThermoPhysical posted:

Looks like the 2.3.5 update stops the Nexus S 4G from tethering and hot spotting. It makes sense though since Sprint has been saying they would do this since the release of the phone.

So much for the pure google experience.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I'm having 2 issues with my 3d.

Reboot doesn't work. Like it'll just power down like normal. I have to press the power button to get it to reboot.

Also wifi seems to give up after awhile. It refuses to connect to my wifi network. After a reboot (more like a shutdown) it just works fine.

Reboot works fine on a fresh... reboot it seems though.

TLG James fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 27, 2011

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
The clockwork mod works now for the evo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Maybe I'm in the minority but I used the kickstand on my EVO 4G all the time. I really miss it on the EVO 3D. Hopefully someone will make a dirt cheap charging dock for it.

I couldn't wait for a super cheap one but this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310310197158&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

works great for me. It also folds up.

I'd kill if someone made a touchstone backplate for the evo 3d. Like I saw the DIY yourself one, but man if someone made a professional one...