Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Great, slow-rear end software despite being dual-core Tegra 2 and (likely) a signed bootloader? Not sure how it's going to compete with the Evo 3D.

Ech. There's a reason Samsung and HTC are the only two manufacturers worth a drat. And not even HTC given the current situation with the bootloader.

What is all the Samsung hate here anyway? Is it really all just because of the botched 2.2 rollout? The Epic 4G appears to be almost universally a better phone than the EVO Shift, despite sitting at the same price point.

corgski fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

td4guy posted:

There's a good post here outlining many of the issues with the Epic 4G and Samsung in general. And another post here about how and why their software tends to suck.

Thanks for not just saying TouchWiz. I happen to like the interface. :unsmith:

Of course, I also like having an actual keyboard if I'm going to be doing any typing, which makes me even more of a minority.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Nah, shady business would be me returning the Epic I just bought directly from sprint, paying the $35 restock fee and then rebuying it from Amazon for a penny.

It's tempting.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

The Galaxy S series (with the exception of the Nexus S) suffered from some horrible software development practices that are only just now being fixed. Possibly. We'll find out when they push Gingerbread to the handsets. Also, touchwiz currently is a great interface with a lovely launcher, but it used to be a horrible interface with an even worse launcher.

And that loving battery popup.

That said, I still think the Epic is vastly superior to the Evo Shift, and I'm kinda hoping that the Galaxy S II series phones fix their remaining issues, because I love AMOLED screens and the fact that Samsung refuses to lock their phones in any way.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Ender.uNF posted:

Yeah the 3G network is unusable completely now; whenever I'm out and about I pray the status bar says LTE, otherwise I just put my phone away and forget about what I was gonna do.

So this is why internet on my Epic 4G is only usable when I have wimax 4G turned on now. And I'm still 3 months from an upgrade, but apparently Harrisburg already has LTE installed.

:argh: Sprint why must you be so damned affordable.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

amenenema posted:

Uh, OTAs BREAK root, you don't need to be rooted to install a "direct from carrier/Google" update.

I'm pretty sure that he's asking how to disable the nagscreen, not how to install the ostensibly bug-ridden OTA.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

So my SERO Premium plan is eligible for an upgrade, but when I try to visit the store to get a new phone, it dumps me back to an empty cart every time I try to look at anything other than the front page. Did they change it so new SERO orders have to be done by phone or something? I need to get off of WiMax sooner or later.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Technogeek posted:

And try to avoid doing it through the store unless you have no other option.

Okay, so I have to order the new phone over the phone too?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Well the nearest corporate store is like 50 miles from me, so that's not something i could do anyway (I live in an area served by a mess of franchisees.) I was just confused because the online store no longer works.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Agatsu posted:

Yeah, I got mine this morning, s4 shows up later today. Whee!

What is the exact number I need to call to activate and change my SERO to SERO LTE or whatever I need do there?

Also, does anyone have any experience with the send in your old phone thing? Is that going to be a decent deal for my galaxy s1 slideout model, or am I better off just selling on the forums here?

And I'm curious what the general consensus is on screen protection - I have ghost armor on my nexus 7, nice but kinda pricey.

Any opinions on any of the above greatly appreciated.

Sprint will give you $18 for the original Epic 4G. Quite honestly, I'd even give you more as long as it was in decent condition.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

EbolaIvory posted:

If you use the employee website thing. Its 149.99 and that offer is not available at retail. Just fyi

What is this employee website thing?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

td4guy posted:

Log into http://delivery.sprint.com/m/p/nxt/epc/epclanding.asp with the Sprint employee email and CID that you signed up to SERO/EPRP with, and it grants you access to the "Everything Plus Referral Program Shoppers Private Store". It doesn't seem to give any better deals than the regular website though.

Ah, yeah, that's new lines of service only, not upgrades as was implied. Oh well, at least the S4 is finally down to $199.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

SeaborneClink posted:

I'm not sure where all the EbolaIvory hate is coming :confused: He's a solid dude that's been around the block more than a few times.

Probably because he's trying to sell TEP as a decent value-added package rather than just a lovely way to amortize the cost of repairs over a longer period of time. (And if you don't need the repairs, well, you're poo poo out of money.) Everything TEP offers could be just as easily be done by paying $11/mo into a savings account, with the bonus that you stand a chance of still having the money when you upgrade at the end of two years.

Its value is to people who don't know math.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

EbolaIvory posted:

Quite the opposite. 120 a year. To keep a device that cost 499.99-649.99 out right new. To guarantee that you won't be buying a stolen used phone. That you won't be getting a internally damaged device that's used. And to have the company you pay monthly anyways to keep your device running.

Yep. I'm bad at math and tep/ insurance is a scam.

People like you are why I have customers out of warranty with a phone that Dont work properly and have no coverage for us to work on it. So now not only are they pissed. Were getting bad surveys they Dont have a working phone and now they want to jump ship. So us reps get written up for it. The customer goes to Verizon and the same loving thing happens and the cycle continues.

I'll say it again. TEP is the BEST "insurance" program In the us. And most customers want to not worry about repairing or replacing a phone. While you may think its an awful rip off. I can promise you it saves people poo poo tons of time and money. And let's not forget. Time is money friend.

Dont like tep? Fine. That's all you. But Dont come whining in the thread when sprint does jack poo poo when your phone fucks up.

I pay for tep on both my sprint lines and normal insurance on my Verizon line. I wouldn't sell it if I didn't see the value.

$132/yr. Good job on the math. And an non TEP repair is only $50. That's two repairs every year, or one used phone every two years with a case of really good beer left over. The risk of getting a stolen phone is basically gently caress all too, considering you can call up sprint with an IMEI before you pay for the drat thing and have them check that it's clear. If somebody won't give it out, you know something sketchy is going on.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Q_res posted:

I don't think anyone has been criticizing him for selling TEP to clueless soccer moms that come into his store. It's shilling TEP in this thread like we're clueless soccer moms that came into his store that's annoying as gently caress.

That's why I'm annoyed by it, yes. Rather than shilling that insurance in here, it's better to outline "how to not buy a stolen phone" considering the only definite value that poo poo has is ensuring that you can get a new phone easily when you trash yours.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Buy a headset and call them using the "call phones" feature in GMail?

Better yet, don't buy a headset and just use some lovely pc speakers and a $10 microphone so they get bombarded with feedback.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

You know how QoS works, right? It's not hard limiting your outgoing at 768kbps 24/7.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

Tell that to the manufacturer of the Airave.

Well gently caress, I thought you were complaining about it only guaranteeing a 768kbps share to non-voice traffic, not that it was too dumb to auto-range. :psyduck:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

td4guy posted:

Note that that's all towers updated since June 19. Quite a long list there! And for anyone wondering:

Holy poo poo, York! Maybe it's time to finally ditch my Epic 4G.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

td4guy posted:

Dude, York is legitimately well-upgraded at this point. LTE / 850MHz SMR towers dominate the map. It is definitely time to upgrade.

drat. I wish I had known that. I figured that since I still was getting solid WiMax coverage they hadn't gotten around to LTE yet here.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

My area is all Shentel towers, so it may not be indicative of the corporate regions, but right now I have fantastic WiMax and after stopping by the sprint store the other day, verified that the entire area is already pretty well covered with LTE. I'm just waiting for a tri-band phone to do the switch.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Is a Note 3 really worth the extra $150 over a Galaxy S4 though? Yesterday I looked at both of them and settled on an S4, because it seems to do "being a phone" far better than the Note 3.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Man, I was bummed that I just got a GS4 this month after giving up on waiting for triband, but on the other hand, the triband phones they're getting aren't all that great. The LG G2 is the best of the bunch, but the carrier specific customizations mean that there will be an anemic accessory market.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

CrashCat posted:

Wait, the LG is the best one? Can you explain because I know next to nothing about this poo poo.

Well as others said, now the Nexus 5 is best. But of the original 3, the galaxy mega is a 6.2 inch tablet posing as a phone, and the S4 Mini is somewhat underspecced, which leaves the Sprint variant G2, if you can put up with having only terrible cases.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

brc64 posted:

Aside from Bananana's wonky Google Wallet thing, how is the S4 update? My wife has been burned by Android system updates so often in the past that she's been pointedly ignoring this one since her phone started prompting for it. How is it? Does it bring anything especially worthwhile?

It installs a new bootloader that trips a warranty void flag if you root or flash any non-OTA update. Hold off on it until XDA finds a workaround.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Skeezy posted:

I just left Sprint for T-Mobile and now apparently Sprint wants to buy T-Mobile? http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/13/5208312/sprint-reportedly-preparing-to-purchase-t-mobile-in-2014

The rumors of sprint and t-mobile merging are as old as time itself. I wouldn't count on it.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Hey thanks for the rebate chat, I just checked the status of mine and they had denied it claiming that my mailing address was invalid.

One phone call later and it is (hopefully) sorted. We'll see.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Tmobile has a better data network than sprint does, although certainly it can vary location to location. In terms of coverage vs non coverage areas, ATT and Verizon will be the winners there. Sprint and TMo are probably still two years out at least on really expanding coverage vs improving coverage where there already is service.

But at least Sprint roams on to Verizon. T-Mo just leaves you dead in the water.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Or get one of the new spark GS4s and have a removable battery and a micro sd card slot because poo poo is handy when you have iffy data.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Last time I had that issue, on my old Epic 4G running CM10, the number given in the text rang through to a prompt that let you disable VVM. Did that go away?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

With my Galaxy S3, I was able to make calls and get a data connection at the same time. My LG Flex seems incapable of doing that and I lose internet connectivity when I'm on a call. Is there anyway I can fix that, a setting maybe? It doesn't make sense why a 2 year old phone would be ale to do that and my brand new one can't.

Sprint ditched svlte (simultaneous voice and lte) on the new phones to save on manufacturing costs iirc, so nope. You're back to the dark ages of voice or data but not both.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

That rumor has celebrated several birthdays, I'll believe it when I see it.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Sprint actually expanded LTE coverage in Harrisburg pretty early on, but I would tell you they still aren't great in PA.

Yep, Harrisburg, Lancaster and York, all the Shentel regions basically, have great 4G. Things only really get spotty as you go further west or north.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Is it still possible to buy SERO plans from other people? My new job offers phone reimbursement to the tune of $60/mo, and the only thing I can see that would fit within that would be picking up a second SERO plan for my work phone.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

the littlest prince posted:

SERO can only be transferred to someone who already has at least one SERO line.

Yep, and I already have one, I just want to find a way to get a second, so I'm not paying $20/mo+ out of my own pocket on top of the reimbursement for any of the current plans offered by the Big 4.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

So in case anyone's wondering, you can in fact still do a transfer of liability with a SERO plan. Thanks Marklar!

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Any one of those mall kiosks will be cheaper for a cracked screen.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Root your phone, flash a Verizon-only PRL and stream netflix until they boot you for roaming overages.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Even when you pay less you're still not getting what you pay for.

Oh you get what you pay for - unlimited (dialup speed) data.

But seriously, Sprint is decent in a lot of areas just because they have a roaming agreement with Verizon. You may not get 4G data everywhere like Verizon or AT&T, but unlike T-Mobile you can make calls when you're more than 5 miles from an interstate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

If it were price and performance competitive with Comcast, I'd drop Comcast in a heartbeat, but being Sprint, it's neither.