Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I'm ready to upgrade to the Evo 3D (currently on a Verizon dumbphone). I have a 25% discount through work, does it make more sense to use this, or should I apply for the EPRP mentioned in the OP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I called the Sprint rep who gives the corporate discount up for my company and signed up. After I called him back with the info to have my number ported over from Verizon, I can't use data or make outgoing calls.. I just get a steady high pitched noise after a few rings. I can accept incoming calls, however. The phone number he gave me to call (the only number I can reach) leads to a confusing set of menus that asks me for a PIN number. What am I doing wrong here?

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I took the Evo 3D off the charger at 8am when I left the house, used bluetooth to play mp3s in the car on the way to work, made one 2 minute call, had 50% battery life by 10am. The phone bricked itself a day later though, so it could be a fluke.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Finally got a working Evo 3D after a week without cell service and having them replace the phone 3 times.

Is the telenav GPS app any good or do most people just use google maps navigator?

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
If I eventually root the phone and switch to a different rom, are there free equivalents of the sprint specific apps like visual voicemail, and that thing that links everyone in your facebook/phonebook/gmail into the People app?

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Is there a way to get that Accuweather thing that's part of the main screen on the Evo to find a location? It only seems have to major cities around the world in its search feature, which isn't very useful.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
The Accuweather app does let you add locations, but you can only choose from a bizarre, very limited list of cities. It also detects my current location incorrectly when on wifi.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Is there a good, cheap screen protector/film thing for the 3D? I bungled applying the free one they gave me with the phone and had to toss it out.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
The interior of the (giant steel and concrete) office building I work at blocks or degrades most wireless signals, and sometimes I get a "warning, you are now roaming" error message. Is this because it can't find a signal, or am I actually latching onto a non Sprint tower somewhere and racking up roaming fees?

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Oh. Why does it show me a big error message about it every 2 minutes then?

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I had that problem, now on my 3rd phone. Good luck.

Q_res posted:

Looks like I'm going to have to exchange my EVO 3D. It randomly shuts off and won't boot back up without a battery pull.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
The Sense weather app sucks, it never updates my location (and it's not the phone, because other apps show the correct location). Is there another good weather widget for sense?

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Just tried the speed test app (east coast, my house is in a 4G zone):

3G: 20KB/s download, 15KB/s upload
4G: 560KB/s download, 100KB/s upload

I had no idea 3G was this bad.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I'm about 8 miles outside NYC.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Yes, I switched it to kilobytes on purpose.

z16bitsega posted:

Sounds like whatever speed test app you're using is reporting in kilobytes per second instead of kilobits. 20 kBps = 160 kbps which still isn't great but not awful.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I got a 15% discount through work, but they had added insurance. I called and had them remove the insurance.. and it also removed the discount. Any way to get this back, or am I screwed?

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I noticed some of my apps, like Gmail, don't show up under "my apps" in the market. Is this because they're some kind of sprint version? Am I at the mercy of sprint when I want to update them?

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Thanks that worked, and yes Evo 3D. None of the apps that came preloaded show in the market, I have to install over and clear cache and then they'll show.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

What happens if you search for Gmail on the market? GMail shows up fine for me in My Apps. Maybe you never downloaded the updates from the market?

Otherwise try clearing the cache and data for the market, and if you're rooted, run Market Doctor in Titanium Backup.

edit: I don't know what kind of phone you're using but since this sort of became the de facto Evo 3D thread, I'm guessing it's that.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
When you hit the big "Phone" button on the home screen in Sense 3 (evo 3D), what exactly is the list of numbers that show up? It seems to pick and choose what shows up in the list, like an incomplete version of call history. For example, I had 3 missed calls when I checked the phone today, but only the last one shows up. The call history app shows everything.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Having just come from Verizon, the 3G (and call coverage to a lesser extent) of Sprint in the NYC suburb area is surprisingly terrible in comparison. Friends with Sprint just seemed to be used to it. However my contract is literally half the price, so it's worth it.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I signed up for the credit and never got it, does it take a few billing cycles to show?

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
My in call volume just got extremely quiet despite being at max volume, and speakerphone stopped working. This is my 3rd Evo 3D. Is there an easy fix for this, or do I have to go sit at the store for hours again? Already tried a cold boot.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Does the new OTA for the 3D break the current perm root that's out? I don't plan on rooting until CM7 is out since there are no decent roms.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
The charging port on my Evo 3D has suddenly become really finicky, and will only charge if the plug is at just the right angle. I'm just past 30 days on the phone, can anything be done about it or should I just live with it?

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Great, fourth phone in a month here I come!

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Is it normal that I've been at work for 6 hours and my evo gps still thinks I'm 30 miles away at home? Happens every day.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
When I was at the store getting my Evo replaced I said "what can you tell me about those windows phones?", and all the sales guy said was "you don't want one, trust me".

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Is CM7 fully functional on Evo 3D yet (bluetooth, 4G etc)? Hard to find info on their forums.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I've got the "security pattern" lock screen set on my Evo 3D, but it still shows the default Sense lock screen with the ring before that.. so I've got two lock screens. How do I disable the sense lock screen?

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Has anyone rooted a Sprint phone recently? After rooting I get an error 16 when making calls, a message telling me to call customer service, and then it hangs up on me. Customer service tells me that I need to bring the phone to the store.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I had to call half a dozen times but finally got a super knowledgeable rep who fixed the problem immediately.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
iPhone 4S vs SGS2E4GT drop test :can:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elKxgsrJFhw

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
The 3D stuff is pretty useless, the only reason my friends and I bought it is because it's the latest and greatest HTC phone.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
No custom rom (that isn't based on the stock rom) has had any luck getting wimax to work. Bluetooth kinda works on CM7 but I couldn't change songs in the car. Staying with a cleaned up sense rom for the foreseeable future. Once sprint has good lte coverage I'll probably sell the 3D for that new nexus.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I live/work near NYC in a big 4G zone, and get 20 MBit+ inside the house, so I love wimax.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Is there a decent rom out there for the Sprint Galaxy S2? My brother just picked one up and wants me to root it and flash CM7, but I didn't realize it was only for the GSM version of the phone.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
They're probably just trying to stop the average user, which is 99% of the people with these phones.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
My brother and a close friend have the Epic 4G Touch and Galaxy S2 (AT&T) respectively, and have had zero issues. Makes me regret buying the Evo 3D with a fraction of the ROM support and abandoned alpha version of CM7.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Fresh rom is the best stock replacement on the Evo 3D right now, I've tried most of them. The CM7 port was abandoned, but like others said Sense is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Same here, clean rom started strong but has gotten glitchy with poor battery life.