Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Handcent...as in the SMS app?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
I'm having an odd issue: earlier tonight my Shift decided to stop connecting to anything cellular or WiMax related, WiFi still works. I'm kind of at a loss. Just sitting in my lap and then nothing. I have an old Hero that I just fired up and was able to *2 no problem, so I'm guessing there's no system outage. Checked the Status screen on the Shift, Signal Strength shows at -120db.

I've been running Cyanogen Mod 7.1 latest nightly from November, with no issues for over a month.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Flash to a sense ROM, do an update profile, make sure that works, flash back. You won't be able to do much programming for the shift on cyanogen (or its a lot of effort).

Thanks DM2008.

No dice. Flashed Fresh (a sense based rom). Update never works and shoots an error code. Going into ##DEBUG#, 1x Engineering shows the CDMA radio searching through bands and channels. And Call Processing State seems to stay on status 0, only once in a while changing to status 8.

Any ideas? Flash back to a stock rom and contact Sprint? I'm a SERO plan and I have TEP.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Thanks Duckman2008. I ended up hitting the repair center store: they had me drop it off, came back in the specified time period, and was told they were out of stock on Shifts but a store across town had them. Ran across town and swapped out the device.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

The Entire Universe posted:

Phone with 4 cores, Android 4, Sense 4, being released on 4/4

You know, if that is the case I don't know whether to slap or to thank whatever marketer came up with that.

You forgot 4G. :downsrim:

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
What should I expect to pay for a used Nexus S 4G? My Evo Shift is sluggish on CM7 and don't want to deal with the keyboard anymore, it still works though. I live in an area with decent Wimax coverage so not looking at the Galaxy or Evo LTE.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Just posted in for sale, I have the following available in mint condition:

Nexus S: $150

You have a PM on this.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Duckman2008 is good peeps for buying a phone from, came as described and quickly, and activated with no problems. The Employee number mentioned near the top in the OP worked like a charm for getting the phone swapped.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Lenins Potato posted:

The only people who weren't complaining about problems like this during DragonCon were people on T-Mobile.

Oh, also for some reason people even get poor signal quality even in their rooms at the Westin.

I pretty much had data disabled the whole time except when in the room at the Marriott where I used Wimax exclusively. Hotel wifi was swamped (and costly IIRC) and 3G you already touched on. Wimax on the other hand, was speedy.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Tried multiple times Friday to buy a Galaxy S III and gave up after 6 or so hours. Soon as anyone saw that I had a SERO plan I got routed somewhere else where the call would drop at random, get a disconnected number, outside office hours, told to go online, etc. Oh Sprint.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Medullah posted:

Did you call 888-882-4030? They were super helpful for me, but a bit of a hold...

This worked. Just got off the phone, they quoted a price of 199 originally, I mentioned what I had been through and got it back down to 49.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

amenenema posted:

Will they activate 32gb N5s? I thought they wouldn't because they don't sell them...

Yup they will. Did just that last week.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

bobula posted:

I strolled into the Sprint store and they gave me one.

This. Took the phone in. Setup the imei on my account, pulled a Sim from back and activated the phone. Took about ten minutes all said and done. Corporate store mind you.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

ExcessBLarg! posted:

So how is the Nexus 5 situation? Are updates as timely as the Play-sold model? Is it generally better than what happened with the Nexus S/Galaxy Nexus?

I'm trying to figure out my Sprint/Samsung exit strategy. I'd just go T-Mo and actually have been testing with a T-Mo SIM for a bit, but they're 2G only on the interstates whereas Sprint has been LTE for a lot of what I drive for a while now. That leaves AT&T, but I might be willing to stick with Sprint if I can at least use a non-hosed-up phone.

Edit: Can I pick up a Play-store N5 and pop in a Sprint SIM? I can't imagine that would actually work, but it would be perfect if it did.

Yes the updates are hitting all at once. You'll need to pick up a SIM specifically for the N5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

ExcessBLarg! posted:

So I still can't SIM swap between devices (S4 and N5) on Sprint?

It'd be nice to have a backup phone, but changing activation on a SERO line is seriously strenuous exercise.

Sorry I don't know poo poo about the S4 but Sprint has different SIMs depending the phone model. That's just for the LTE, for the CDMA the phone still has to be registered to the line.