Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
I'm looking for a phone as an upgrade. Out of the android phones what is the short list of phones to look at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Call sprint and they'll run some diagnostics.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
I was using a friend's evo charger that was giving him problems with my phone. I had to jiggle the cord a bit for it to charge my phone. It's been finicky with his phone too.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
I don't know much about it other than Sprint cutting costs. I know AT&T is pissed since you'll be roaming on their network now, and they can't refuse you. At least for now.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
No, I mean AT&T.

quote:

If its customers are using more data, don’t you think it would be logical for Sprint to actually use its cash to build more capacity? I mean, at AT&T we have spent a lot of time and money investing in recent years racing to keep up with our subscribers’ surging broadband demands precisely because those demands are growing so rapidly. Verizon has been doing the same in building its own 4G LTE network. But at Sprint, the logic is different, and investment – Sprint investment – does not appear to be the solution. My guess is that Kansas and Oklahoma represent the tip of tip of the iceberg here. Does this represent the beginning of Sprint’s Disappearing Network Vision? Will this disinvestment story go nationwide and appear in your local paper soon?

http://attpublicpolicy.com/wireless/dataroamingorderenablesmassivesprintdisinvestment/

Sperg Victorious fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Feb 21, 2012

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Sprint can't roam on AT&T, they are incompatible technologies.

Well either way, AT&T is the carrier that's pissed about Sprint dumping its network and relying on roaming agreements.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Does sprint ship overnight, 2 day, ect? If they're going to ship Thursday, seems like it would have to be at very least 2 day. Not sure if anyone has experience with getting phones from the online store.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Hmmm. I didn't get free activation online. :colbert:

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Dreissi posted:

It's odd, I've got my tracking number and it said it was supposed to ship today, but I checked the tracker and no updates yet.

They probably won't even get picked up at the warehouse by UPS until later this afternoon.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Yeah, they should just roll over and pay the 300 million.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
I had to call customer service. I'm on a regular plan and it was still wanting me to change the plan and some other bs. Hands free didn't work until I called Sprint anyways.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
At least the Gnex is 100 dollars cheaper on Sprint than Verizon, so the discount helps ease the pain of not having LTE for a few months.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

peepsalot posted:

The sprint website is claiming I will be required to change my plan if I get the Nexus. Are they gonna try to say my EPRP is no longer valid or some poo poo?

To get around that just call up customer service to activate, they wont make you change your plan.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
With the $10 prepaid google wallet card on the gnex, can you buy apps in Google Play with it?

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

brc64 posted:

This may be a stupid question, but does the Sprint Galaxy Nexus have a notification LED? It looks like there's supposed to be one at the bottom middle, but I haven't seen it light up on my wife's new phone. Is it supposed to light up when charging, for example?

There is one there but I've only seen it light up when I get notifications.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
It lights up for email for me, gmail, blinks every few seconds. Same for text. It doesn't light up immediately. It'll start blinking a few seconds after the notification sound.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
No, but they are using some kind of other fortified glass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uyLC61JxsJQ

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Jensen posted:

I am loving the GNex, but the battery life doesn't seem that great. I'm a developer and am quite familiar with wake locks and such - and this isn't a problem with an app.

I'm sort of wondering if the CDMA radios are just inefficient compared to the GSM version - judging from what I'm hearing of battery life from that camp. My EVO 3D seemed to have better battery life.

Anecdata battery life aside - I will say that this phone seems to work much better than the EVO 3D when it comes to calls and text messages. Does anyone with that phone have an issue where sometimes your phone never rings when someone calls it - or it takes like 5-6 rings before your phone will start ringing? Also, text messages would sometimes come in really lately... or sometimes just a few minutes late (which is annoying when you are meeting someone?)

My friends and I with the E3D all thought this was a Sprint problem. But I've done quite a bit of testing with the GNex and it doesn't seem to have any of these problems. It rings quickly, it gets texts very quickly, etc. It's still too early to say anything - but I'd be interested in feedback from anyone else.

The battery on mine is just so so as well. But I have the screen on a lot since getting it, so thats a big part of it. Hopefully some kernels will start coming out and you can start tweaking things a bit more.

Sometimes I get the ringing 4-5 times before it actually rings. I think thats probably a sprint problem. No real way for me to reproduce it, but I know it happens. Same with texts. Although it never seems to happen with push email.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
I think the thicker cases are when you have an extended life battery in. Otherwise, it's really thin.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Did you root and flash a different kernel?

Edit: I had to restore from a stock image. I had rooted and flashed the franco kernel though.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Is Sprint 's online coverage map showing what areas will be getting 4g or what their current deployment is? I'm in a 4g area, but actual coverage is basically only at malls and similar areas right now

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

td4guy posted:

You might find this map comparison to be pretty interesting.

Ugh.

Hopefully this will get ironed out soon. Kinda hoped living near a giant business park would get me 4g at home quicker.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Got 2 batteries for 2 gnex lines from sprint.

The telesales agent didn't seem happy to have to process that order. But after 30 minutes it was all done.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Been using the Gnex extended battery a bit more.

Nearly 2 hours of screentime with about 30% left. Pretty sure I wouldn't have gotten that much life out of the old one.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Anyone have any experience with Asurion and the Galaxy Nexus? My screen got cracked, and I recieved the refurbed phone the next day. Only problem is the refurb's screen quality is really really bad. Like I'd almost rather just use my cracked screen.

Asurion is sending another phone out to me, but now I'm worried that the screen problem is going to be the phone.

Anyone replaced their Gnex and had any problems?

edit: Shaky dark photo for comparison.

Cracked screen on the left. Asurion replacement on the left.

Both are using same color and gamma CM10.1 presets. And same brightness.

Sperg Victorious fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 23, 2013

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Skeezy posted:

So I guess the charge port on my Galaxy Nexus is hosed up or something? For some reason it charges just fine with my car charger, however when I plug it in at home you have to fiddle around with it and then it'll charge fine.

What is my option for fixing this? Like how much would it run, etc etc.

Is your home charger bent a little? My home charger is a little bent, works fine with most devices, but my GNex has to be wiggled a bit.

Also, like you said, my Gnex only has this problem with my home charger.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
You should be able to do better. I had a supervisor waive the ETF earlier last week. She even admitted to using Verizon. One of the big complaints we had was when making a call we would get an error message about not being authorized to call that number, but an hour later it would go through. And this only affected one of our lines. Plus that line would get text messages and voice mail notifications a day late.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
In the past people were getting out of their contracts at the beginning of the new year because the taxes would slightly go up. Sprint would let you out of the contract due to the price increase. Although you did have to be pretty adamant about it.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Seems like a good deal to me.

If you want to compare to AT&T: http://myattrpc.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

pass the butter posted:

Sprint is also offering me an airrave, as I am losing calls at home. With full bars, mind you, I doubt the airrave can fix that.

I'm on sprint but my wife is on verizon. Is there any argument for the airrave blocking the verizon signal? I don't want it, but I would like a good argument for it not working. Just trying to get my ETF lifted so I can move along to a functioning provider.

No, but in the past if you restricted the numbers who could use the airrave, it would block all the other sprint people in the immediate area.