Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Maybe a NYC goon can help answer my questions.

My girlfriend and I have never had a smartphone. We've always used crappy phones, prepaid NET10 phones most recently. We want to sign a contract with some carrier and get two Samsung Galaxy S3s, but we're not really sure what carrier for our needs. We're also not sure how much data we'd be using per month, if 2 or 4 GB is enough, etc., since we've always had a capless Cable Internet connection, and most recently, very fast Fios.

It's between Sprint, Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile, since they are the only ones that carry the Samsung S3s. I'm leaning towards Sprint for the relatively inexpensive shared unlimited data plan, with 1500 minutes, split 3-4 ways (my brother may go on it as well, and maybe my grandma, but without a smartphone for her). Is this enough minutes, generally, considering that cell to cell minutes are free no matter the carrier, and free nights and weekends? 375 minutes each?

How's the Sprint 3G network in NYC? I've heard that the call quality is good, but the 3G service is not that great compared to the other carriers. I do not do a lot of traveling yet, so it would mostly be service in NYC, and maybe upstate from time to time.

My brother has a Samsung Galaxy S1, but has had it on Simple Mobile for about a year or so. The Internet is very, very, slow, to the point where it's pretty much unusable, a lot like 56K. Is it safe to assume that the Internet speed is much faster on Sprint? I know it won't be like my 25/25 mbps Fios home connection, but I want something that is pretty usable. Is it at least broadband speed?

Finally, the all-included monthly bill for four people should be something like $180-$195, which is about $50 per person, though one person will not have a smartphone. Is this a good price? Is there a way to get a better price?

small butter fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU