Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

The Entire Universe posted:

Also "If you have the money for an Epic, buy the Evo Shift or the Evo if you must have a phone right this very second."
So with the latest Epic Froyo update (EC05, the one they haven't pulled yet), the phone is basically more or less what it should've been at launch. GPS works, Camera works, Bluetooth reportedly works, etc.

So for folks who want a 4.0" AMOLED with a nice GPU and audio DAC, and specifically a hardware keyboard, and Epic isn't an utter terrible option at this point. Probably used (since folks still think they suck and are dumping them for Evos). Admittedly eventual Gingerbread support is a crapshoot.

Of course, if you don't care or don't want the hardware keyboard, wait for the Nexus S 4G.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

gariig posted:

I went to the local Sprint Repair Center and they told me that it would only be covered by Asurion (I have TEP) and that it'd be $100.
This is a warranty issue, not an insurance issue. Assuming your phone is still covered by the manufacturer warranty (e.g., under a year old).

It's a warranty issue because the screen was defective, it cracked during operation of the device under normal conditions due to internal (not external, which likely isn't covered) mechanical vibration. Unfortunately "proving" such is a bitch, because the result of the flaw is the same that frequently happens as a result of abuse.

Which means, while it might be replaced in the end, it would probably get denied first and you'd have to send a rebuttal letter, and possibly file a small claims suit. Which is a bunch of time wasted, letter writing, small claims filing fee, etc.

Or, since you have TEP, you can pursue it as an insurance claim, but I wouldn't expect the deductible to be waived. In which case it effectively serves as a convenience fee to get the phone replaced relatively quickly with minimal hassle.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Steve Moore posted:

There's a Canada Roaming Plan you can add to your account for under $3 per month.
As I recall, the math works out such that if you're going to spend at least five minutes during the entire trip calling back to the US, it's cheaper to use the roaming plan. Since it's easily activated/deactivated online I would definitely pick it up.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Gumball Dad posted:

Another month on a fried iPhone3G with 400 minutes for $100+.
They don't prorate the final bill? Sounds deceptive.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Jensen posted:

I mean, is there a need for dual core computers?
Sure but I don't do software builds, video encodes, or large number crunching on my phone. Outside of those applications there's nothing I do on my computer that requires dual core, and there's few things that see significant responsiveness improvement from it.

There was a fairly critical need for phones to get better/faster computationally up until the most recent generation, as previous devices simply weren't sufficient to do mobile web browsing as adequate as we would like them. At this point, Opera on my Epic runs well enough that at least 90% of sites I visit render timely and I have no browsing issues with them. I don't imagine the type of sites I'd want to visit on my phone are going to get significantly more complicated over the next two years, given they haven't over the past five or six. Multitasking maybe, but again, I don't really see my multitasking habits changing too dramatically.

As always, mobile gaming will probably be the first big push of mobile multicore. So the real question is, how much do you game?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

"d[-.- posted:

b"]Look at the Atrix. You take your phone, and you make it a laptop.
I may have misspoken. It's not that I think there's no point to improving the processing power of phones, or that dual-core phones are useless. It's that the factors that compelled me to get a dual-core workstation aren't nearly as compelling on a phone, so I don't feel the need to invest in it right now.

Or put another way, dual-core is probably one of the last features I'd look for in purchasing a phone today, if I wasn't particularly interested in gaming. On the other hand, if I was choosing between two phones where every other factor was the same, I probably would go dual-core, even if there was a proportional price increase.

The Atrix is another story. The laptop dock is silly expensive, and I don't understand the point of such an accessory when netbooks are cheaper. I'm not the only one who thinks this either.

Jensen posted:

I don't mean to come off as argumentative, and this is probably do to my technical background/lifestyle, but I find these sorts of comments ridiculous.
Ridiculous? It's just my opinion, you're welcome disagree.

In any event, tech enthusiasts will almost always want the fastest/best/most capable. There's nothing wrong with that.

My point was that every smartphone I used/owned prior to this generation felt woefully underpowered for doing something as simple as browsing slashdot, so upgrades were very compelling. "gently caress I wish this was faster" was a very common complaint of mine. But with this generation, I feel my phone does everything I've been wanting it to do over the past few years, timely and responsively. If I had to improve one aspect about it, it wouldn't be dual-core but double the RAM.

Now, the current generation of phones might not be fast enough for your needs, and if so, then dual-core is a much more compelling feature. That's OK.

With that in mind, the Evo 3D is quite a bit of an upgrade from the Nexus S. Aside from dual-core, I imagine it has a very-welcomed 1 GB of RAM, bigger, higher resolution screen, SD card slot, etc. Which makes that particular purchasing decision a tough choice, particularly since we won't know how hackable the device is until it's released, which is some time after the Sprint Nexus S has been on the market.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

kalibar posted:

I've heard a lot of negativity about the Epic specifically, but the better question is why were people buying it in the first place?
A hardware keyboard is still vastly superior to on-screen for ConnectBot/ssh, but on-screen is perfectly fine if not preferable for everything else (in my opinion). Since an ultra-portable ssh-capable device is pretty high on my priority list, I still seek out hardware keyboards. Although I suppose if the day comes where every phone that has a hardware keyboard is guaranteed to suck, I'll have to reevaluate that.

In any event, the keyboard on the Epic is actually pretty good. I prefer it to the G2's keyboard, although the Shift's inclusion of a d-pad (or whatever) makes up for most I dislike about the G2. The problem with the Epic's keyboard is that Samsung completely hosed up the driver for it, in ways that only Samsung can. Which is rather amazing, given that embedded hardware keyboards pretty much all use the same design, and there's plenty of well written embedded keyboard drivers in Linux. So they had to try fairly hard to gently caress it up.

The real answer to your question is that I bought an Epic before the Shift was announced. With Sprint carrying a well-received non-Samsung hardware keyboard alternative, the Epic is probably an unwise choice to make today.

After multiple different ROM flashes I still don't have working GPS on this thing.
So the Epic definitely had widespread GPS issues in DI18. The official Froyo releases EB13 seems to have solved the GPS woes for most Epic owners. At least, getting locks is fairly reliable and quick.

You're not alone though in having GPS issues, there is a minority of folks who report this. I don't know if it's a hardware issue that only affects a minority of units, or if there is (or was) a software bug that could effectively poison it.

Did you ever install the DK28 Froyo leak? I'm suspicious that had something to do with it.

Edit: Ugh, it looks like EC05 might have broken GPS again. I had assumed that since it seemed to be "really fixed" in EB13 it would stay that way. Of course, this is Samsung.

SneakyCracker posted:

Anybody got any good recommendations on ROMs?
I'd start with SyndicateROM Frozen with the Twilight Zone Kernel. It's probably the most comprehensive in terms of bug fixes and community enhancements and developed by folks who seem to have a clue. Although I just run a slightly-modified stock ROM myself.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Apr 5, 2011

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

td4guy posted:

Samsung products just keep getting better and better.
So it makes sense to have an instrumentation platform on your handsets to aid in discovering/debugging network issues. I'm guessing that Carrier IQ started out as a platform to collect signal strengths, battery life, and aggregate usage information, but somehow unintentionally morphed into something of a much greater privacy concern.

It's not as fatal as the xda folks make it sound, since it doesn't appear that Sprint is actively collecting any of the concerning things. Although I still don't like the idea of it.

Also, carriers can already observe all your SMS/MMS, HTTP, phone calls, without any device instrumentation. Key logging, HTTPS, or app usage statistics is a bit more unfortunate.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Eyecannon posted:

I really don't get what all the hate is about, I can see the argument that Samsung is slow to release updates,
If the only issue with Samsung devices were horribly delayed updates, the situation wouldn't be that bad.

The problem is that every software build for the Epic has been buggy. DI18 (Eclair) was the most bug-free build we've had to date, and even that had some pretty serious GPS issues.

While EB13 got the GPS right, it seriously hampered 3G data speeds, broke the Camcorder, seriously decreased hardware keyboard responsiveness, broke G-sensor calibration, broke Bluetooth, etc. This is on top of OTA update issues (changed Contacts schema with no data migration, broke Calendar sync, broke Gallery cache, etc.) that were significant enough for it to be pulled.

EC05 fixed the 3G data speed issue, Camcorder, and semi-fixed Bluetooth. However, the hardware keyboard responsiveness issues weren't addressed despite being fixed by community devs, G-sensor calibration is still broken, and Bluetooth still has A2DP device disconnect bugs. Worst of all, it now appears that the GPS has regressed, and the cache invalidation issue has resurfaced.

The hate revolves around the fact that, seven months after the device was released, bugs that were present on day one are still present. Either never having been fixed, or were previously fixed and regressed. Samsung is not alone in suffering this problem, but they seem to suffer a disproportionate number of them. That's why folks refuse to buy Samsung anymore.

I'm glad you're happy with your Epic. I'm relatively content with mine as well. The new GPS issues are obnoxious, but other than that, the device works well enough in its present form that I'm satisfied with it. It's Samsung and their practices I'm less satisfied with. Also, keep in mind that while you might not notice, be bothered by, or otherwise suffer well-known bugs, they're still very real and they still affect lots of folks.

That said, I'm still willing to purchase a Samsung device in the future, but I'd have to see a radical shift of their device quality and development processes. So I won't be the guinea pig who tests the next generation Samsung phone first.

Eyecannon posted:

but this is what custom ROMs are for...
While it's great that custom ROMs address some of the bugs & issues with Samsung devices, it's really unfortunate that we have to resort to hacking the devices to make them work right. It's inexcusable.

Besides custom ROMs aren't a panacea. They still rely on stock ROM components, so there won't be any GB custom ROMs until at least a GB stock ROM is leaked. The CyanogenMod port is the closest we're going to get to GB on the Epic before Samsung does something. But short of a herculean reverse engineering effort, it won't be fully featureful. GPS and WiMAX are unlikely to work for quite some time.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 5, 2011

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

zeek40 posted:

What's a "spectrum protection site"? Is that just some kind of frequency squatting intended to gently caress over companies interested in actually providing service there?
I would guess it's to establish radio presence where there's a geographical neighbor who licenses the same spectrum. Even though ideally there's no interference between the two, there will inevitably be some interference in practice.

By establishing presence now, Sprint/Clear can monitor if/when said neighbor causes too much interference and ask them to alter their power levels or antenna directions. Similarly, said neighbor will be aware of the amount of interference they receive from Sprint/Clear and deal with it accordingly instead of it coming as a surprise later when Sprint/Clear ramps up their deployment in that area.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Chappy posted:

Once you have spectrum the FCC gives you so long to start using it.
Oh dear, I should've expected something so simple.

They don't do that for auctioned spectrum do they? I don't think Verizon deployed anything in their AWS allocations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

zeek40 posted:

Throwing up one tower that doesn't really cover anything seems like it's just a way of extending that timeframe indefinitely without actually living up to the intended obligation of doing something useful with that spectrum.
Does that tower service some customers? Yes? It's useful!

Seriously though, I'm not sure what your point is. Sprint/Clear isn't sitting on 2.5 GHz and doing nothing with it, they're engaged in a national deployment with one of the partners being seriously cash strapped. As a result, it's taking a bit longer than anticipated.

What's a better alternative? For Sprint/Clear to give up that spectrum? Is someone else going to pick it up in their place and deploy services in it sooner? Services you can utilize?

This isn't like Verzion, who held, and is currently holding the most attractive AWS licenses in the Northeast and deployed jack squat in it much to T-Mobile's detriment.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

zeek40 posted:

My point was that a "spectrum protection site" seems like it's just the bare minimum requirement that they must meet to avoid forfeiting their claim on the spectrum rather than an indication of any actual network development.
Sigh. Let me reiterate: Sprint & Clear are engaged in a national service rollout. They've been developing, selling, and heavily marketing handsets to customers with the capability to use this service. This is not all without significant cost. The very fact they've done this, and in some regions have put up "token" service radios is evidence of network development. Just not at the rate that everyone would prefer.

zeek40 posted:

I was just trying to figure out the reasoning behind throwing up one tower in a region they have no intention of providing actual coverage to in the near future.
Have you heard of Network Vision? I would say that Sprint has every intention of providing actual coverage as soon as is feasibly possible for them to do so. Again, they're not intentionally sitting on their asses here.

zeek40 posted:

And I'd say yes, it would be a better alternative for consumers if the FCC would cancel their claim on the spectrum and make it available to others if whoever owns the spectrum doesn't make use of it within a reasonable timeframe.
You didn't address my previous questions. In this particular case, do you think that the better alternative would be for the FCC to slap Sprint and revoke their licenses in these regions?

If you honestly believe that another US carrier, which mind you, none of which have 2.5 GHz-capable anything handsets currently in the hands of customers, can develop and deploy service in this spectrum sooner than Sprint/Clear, then I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of exactly how long service deployment takes.

zeek40 posted:

That way Verizon couldn't pull the poo poo they did in the northeast.
Except that, if the band-in-question required "spectrum protection sites", Verizon would be forced to develop AWS-capable handsets. And if they're going to do that, then they will actively develop that spectrum. Since they weren't forced to do anything, they did nothing.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

brc64 posted:

And what does it mean for Sprint consumers, if anything?
The article is a bit light on details, but the crux of the rule appears to be this:

Bloomberg posted:

The FCC order approved today requires carriers to strike agreements on commercially reasonable terms. Carriers unable to reach agreements may appeal to the FCC.
I'd guess this is prompted by small regional carriers (USC, Metro, Cricket) who aren't really in a position to negotiate a reasonable roaming agreement with Verizon, which is essential for them, as their coverage is in markets where Verizon has decent presence (at least for Metro & Cricket, USC less so).

It probably doesn't affect Sprint much. Sprint is a nationwide carrier with enough network coverage that their roaming agreement with Verizon is supplementary for both, but not as essential as it is for regional carriers.

brc64 posted:

Does it mean we'll finally get EVDO roaming on Verizon's network?
Doubtful, unless EVDO roaming is something Sprint really wants, enough to forego a voluntary agreement and complain to the FCC about it. Sprint probably prefers 1x roaming, as it allows folks to still check their email but limits their ability to roam with bandwidth-hungry applications (Pandora, streaming video) where Sprint would eat huge roaming fees from Verizon.

brc64 posted:

Does it mean that Sprint will stop caring if >50% (or whatever) usage is roaming?
No, because Sprint & Verizon aren't peers. Any roaming agreement (voluntary or compulsory) will incur costs for Sprint for Verizon-roamed traffic, which Sprint is incentivized to minimize as they don't forward them onto customers. If 50% of your usage (or whatever) is roaming, you're simply not a profitable customer for Sprint and they'll still drop you.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

brc64 posted:

If it means EVDO and no longer having a roaming data limit, the idea of flashing a Verizon PRL is suddenly way more appealing...
And still waay a douche move, if not outright illegal.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

brc64 posted:

If I still lived where I did before, I think I could keep a fairly clear conscience. Verizon: full bars; Sprint: constantly switching between crap and roaming. Even the Airave didn't help much, because it was only able to cover so much of the house.
That's a bit of a crapshoot. I can see doing it if you were trying to get out of your contract ETF-free because your service was unexpectedly lousy, and appealing to Sprint directly was no-dice.

Or more generally, folks who PRL-hack to roam onto Verizon EVDO sparingly, and with a conscious effort to minimize their actual data consumption, are somewhat defensibly engaging in the practice.

But in the xda threads on the subject, you'll see lots of folks force roam and PRL hack so they use Verizon's EVDO network exclusively, at Sprint rates, while costing Sprint lots in roaming charges, all to get 3-4 bars instead of 1-2. That's unjustifiable douchery.

brc64 posted:

and I wouldn't even consider unless it wasn't costing Sprint a dime.
It does though, or at least, it should. I suppose a consequence of PRL hackery is that Verizon/Sprint wouldn't even know its roaming usage, and wouldn't bill each other accordingly. I'd be shocked if that were the case, and in absence of confirmation otherwise, I would assume this does cost Sprint plenty.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

goku chewbacca posted:

Good thing these multi-billion dollar telecoms (with legal and lobbying budgets to match) have loyal supporters like ExcessBlarg to defend them from big baddies like the FCC and TOS-violating customers.
Erhm, I'm not really defending Sprint, nor do I really care about TOS. I just think it's a jerkbag move to abuse their service in a way that costs them significant money (real money, not fantasy money they would have gotten if everyone who once tethered paid up for the plan). Note that I'm not claiming that brc64, in his particular circumstance, was/is a jerkbag.

goku chewbacca posted:

Now on to my questions that involves me sharing my family plan with two people that don't even live with me!
I don't have a problem with this.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

brc64 posted:

Don't get me wrong, I like seeing Verizon get hosed over as much as the next guy, but forcing them to share their network? Good for the little guys, but how does that promote growth again?
I think the issue is that Verizon is in a position of privilege due to the FCC's meddling in the first place. Waay back when the original AMPS cellular band was carved and licensed, the FCC gave out licenses to two carriers in a given geographical region based on "demonstrated need" (and at the very beginning, a willingness to invest in infrastructure). Originally there was a lot of small companies in involved, but a bunch of mergers and license sales happened so that a few companies could amass a nationwide network.

Later on the FCC carved out the PCS band and gave licensed to a bunch of new cellular providers, Sprint being one of them, in an effort to encourage competition and market growth. This was all handled in a rather bureaucratic fashion, until very recently when they realized they could auction spectrum to the highest bidder. Of course, the folks who could afford highest-bid were the largest of the existing providers.

Since the makeup of the market is largely the FCC's mess to begin with, although a necessary one given the nature of radio spectrum, they occasionally feel the need to enact regulatory measures to ensure competition and the viability of smaller providers. They've long required big carriers to offer voice roaming agreements, they're now doing the same for data. It's debatable whether these are good ideas, but it's not like the FCC is just now starting to meddle in an otherwise free market.

brc64 posted:

I don't really get it... I guess the argument is that if small carriers are allowed to use existing infrastructure, they can have more money to spend on building out their own... but that argument doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
The issue is about roaming, not network capacity. Small carriers can't build out into new markets because they don't have the licenses to do so. They're never going to get them either since the FCC adopted the auction model.

The best they can do is serve as a competitive agents in the limited markets they do serve. Their services appeal to folks who spend 99% of their time at home, in the region of native coverage. But since folks (reasonably) expect their phones to continue working on the few occasions when they do have to travel, even if they have to pay extra for it, it's very hard to sign this group up if there's no roaming option at all.

So the trick is, if the big providers refuse to offer reasonable roaming options to the small carriers, the small carriers will lose their customer base, giving the big providers an opportunity to buy them out and reduce market competition. That's a rather horrible thing for customers.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 7, 2011

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

"d[-.- posted:

b"]Am I one of those jerkbags abusing the system, maaaan?
Nah, it's cool if you had 0 bars.

(That's not PRL hacking anyways.)

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Turnquiet posted:

Looks like that has been leaked for a bit, that the xoom is coming to Sprint.
The fact that two Google-experience, and essentially developer devices are coming to Sprint presumably unlocked, is very encouraging. Good news.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

thisdude23 posted:

You will have to switch to SERO Premium which runs $40/month so after taxes it's like $49+ a month.
It runs $40/mo for 500 minutes. However since SERO Preimum includes Any Mobile calling, it's quite likely that he no longer needs 1250 minutes, so it's a wash.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Mahoning posted:

Also if anyone cares, we got in capacitive styli today.
I bet it's really useful with Sketchbook Mobile. Otherwise, is there a good use-case for one?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Mahoning posted:

Just try one, then you'll understand. I would use this thing while browsing the web ALL THE TIME because its more accurate than my gigantic fingers.
I used a stylus for years on tiny resistive screens, is it fundamentally different than that? Except for sketching, I don't really miss it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I can scan barcodes
Download (Google) Shopper and use it to take a picture of a book or DVD case or something.

Edit: Actually, download Google Goggles and use it to take a picture of a Sudoku puzzle.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 10, 2011

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

On a related topic, I'm 2-3 android market downloads away from being one of those douches who goes out to dinner with friends but spends the entire time playing with his phone instead of socializing. Yes!
You know the Amazon Appstore has a free (paid) app every day right?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

jaku78 posted:

I don't see the point in having that much power unless you want to just impress somebody.
PS2 games?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Samsung sucks.
I understand your concern. However, everything I've seen about Samsung's phone issues, with the exception of the Vibrant's GPS antenna (which is responsible for only a minority of Samsung's overall GPS problems), and the I9000M's SD death, suggests that their problems really are, almost exclusively, software based.

Actually, if you look at the hardware in both Galaxy & Nexus S devices, they're both quite good on paper, and very good in practice when the software issues don't cripple them. As others have said, HTC doesn't have a perfect track record either, and many of their issues are rooted in hardware, even if it's something as simple as putting a 1230 mAh battery in 4.3" unibody phone. Seriously, what the gently caress.

Anyways, I've recently come of the opinion that, as long as the US mobile market is technologically distinct from Europe & Asia, purchasing foreign-designed devices isn't a good approach for hedging your bets on bug issues. The problem with HTC & Samsung is that their phones are developed in Taiwan & Korea, but the US models (particularly CDMA) either can, or are only used in North America. So their engineers can't eat their own dogfood. Which means bugs must be discovered and addressed by carrier QA testing, and I don't believe they'll ever stay on top of that given the rate at which new devices are pumped onto the market.

Apple, HP (old Palm), and Google-branded devices are strictly better here as their engineers actually use the very devices they sell to us. So they're strictly more likely to have bugs discovered and fixed by folks who both are capable of, and have a personal interest in, fixing them.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Zorro KingOfEngland posted:

Looks like the epic might be getting official 2.3 at some point.
While I'd be entirely amused by the Epic getting GB before the Evo (officially anyways), given what happened with EB13 I'd chill on Froyo for a while until all the bugs are known.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Zorro KingOfEngland posted:

Yeah, I'm not so much excited for it as I am for the Cyanogenmod 7 development that will be jumpstarted by its release. Specifically the 4G development.
I wouldn't hold your breath. Epic's WiMAX support was kludged into the framework libraries and Samsung's platform source release doesn't include them. GPS is less of a kludge, but all the communication is done through Samsung's proprietary and rickety-rear end RIL. The Epic CM7 port does use said RIL, but they pretty much have to reimplement the GPS interface for the framework to actually get it to work, which is no small feat.

Now, if the Epic GB port was a complete departure from the past, and resembled something along the lines of the CDMA Nexus S, then yeah, it would be a boon to CM development. But I doubt that's what they did.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Captain Charisma posted:

Big hook is that it will not require the $10 premium add-on.
Wait, so if you activate an Instinct today you have to pay premium data, but not for this Android heap poo poo?

Why is Sprint so arbitrary?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

WoG posted:

Dump the task killer. Android is smarter than that crap these days.
Task killers are marginally useful as a bazooka solution for killing (& restarting) a bunch of tasks in the event that one of them has run amok and is eating CPU cycles due to a bug. The hope is that, by killing it, it will either not respawn, or respawn in a state that it doesn't eat CPU. Although finding the offending service and ending it permanently (if not needed) is a much better solution.

Task killers are not useful for RAM management, or even "fixing" memory leaks (which can happen in Java). A service leaking memory will not affect battery life. Nor will it really impact other apps. At some point it will leak too much memory and the OOM killer will take care of it. The only real problem is if it doesn't leak enough memory such that when the OOM killer goes around, it kills the "wrong" thing. But since task killers kill everything, that's not a better solution.

They're a horrible idea though. For example, the Epic comes with a built-in task killer (thanks Samsung!), and in particular with "level 1" and "level 2" RAM clearing. Level 1 is harmless, it kills the processes of otherwise inactive apps. Level 2 is harmful though, it kills every service, including core ones like the telephony stack. Most of the respawn right away, but apparently the respawning logic is slightly broken and enables a race condition, such that on the Epic the SMS ("isms") service often doesn't come back.

This means, on an Epic, fairly predictably SMSes fail to send and get stuck after doing a "level 2" RAM clear. So the trivial solution is "don't do a level 2 RAM clear", but folks on xda expect that since it's stock functionality (thanks Samsung!) that it must be safe to do. Even after it's explained to the in gross detail exactly what's going wrong, and why it's an unnecessary and bad idea in the first place, folks somehow believe it's a reasonable, if not required operation to be preformed with some frequency.

Seriously, don't use task killers. Way more of a headache than they're worth.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 19, 2011

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

brc64 posted:

Any particular reason? That sounds like pretty much the opposite of what I would expect Sprint to want. Weird.
On the other hand it looks like a fairly typical price discimination maneuver.

For one, the kind of folks who would pursue single-line EPRP at $70/mo are the same kind of folks who would do Verizon LTE at $70/mo with GV-SMS. Sprint has to have an option that doesn't allow Verizon to undercut them while making it hidden enough to not complicate their standard high-value, but otherwise potentially expensive plan offerings. It's true that anymobile is an advantage specific to Sprint and not Verizon, but voice is becoming decreasingly-relevant for a lot of folks.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

io_burn posted:

Really?
My experience with a MiFi was great when used as a broadband modem over USB. But the routing/NAT functionality of it was pretty awful for anything beyond regular web browsing.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
So the voice service at my apartment has gone to poo poo. We've always had strong signal and still do, but when actually making a call the sound cuts in and out all the time pretty much rendering both sides of the conversation unintelligible. It happens to both my and my wife's phones, and happens within a good radius of our place. However, if I drive far enough down the street (likely to another cell) voice service is fine.

The suddenness of this makes me think there's a basestation equipment problem. Is this something Sprint likely "knows about", or otherwise, is there a way to file a trouble ticket of some sort that doesn't involve sitting on the phone with a CSR? (Whom I wouldn't be able to hear anyways.)

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

This seems to be my solution for anything signal related, but why not just get a signal booster?
Well right now my signal strength is -76 dBm, 5/6 bars at idle. That's typical. I really don't think it's a signal issue.

It feels like a backhaul problem, like massive packet loss on their backhaul links. I suppose it could be saturated, but I doubt it. We live a few blocks from a concert venue and I've never had problems making calls during event nights and there wasn't a show in the past few days. So no reason to believe there's been a sudden jump in the number of folks making calls.

Also, it seems to be limited to our cell site, works fine a ways down the road. So it's not a widespread problem in our area.

Duckman2008 posted:

Otherwise I am actually looking into a similar issue tomorrow and may have a phone number for you to call. May.
Cool, thanks. I'm heading out of town for a little while anyways, but if it stays bad for my wife I might have her look into it.

I just didn't know if there was a "report your problems here" page or something.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

SURPRISE WITNESS posted:

So, I've read about the negativity with Samsung products and I hesitated for a few days. But after reading good review after good review on the Epic this week, I figured maybe they got this one right and pulled the trigger today.
Samsung definitely didn't get the Epic "right" by any definition, but it's not a horrible phone. It's actually a quite capable device that's arguably superior to the Shift in performance, definitely superior to the Evo, and equivalent to the Nexus S. That and the AMOLED screen is beautiful. Those are the reasons why it's praised highly in reviews.

There are a few problems with the Epic, all of which come down to "it's a Samsung." First, if you're looking for a phone to run CyanogenMod, the Evo, Shift, and even Optimus S are better choices. There is an alpha CyanogenMod frankenport to the Epic, but because "it's a Samsung" it's unlikely to ever have feature or support parity with the other devices. Second, Samsung's track record with updates both for the Epic, and all of their US-released devices is rather questionable. Froyo took forever and a day to come out, and while I suspect Gingerbread won't take as long, it's not exactly around the corner.

That said, in terms of how the device performs with the latest Froyo release today, it's a reasonable experience. There's a few bugs, although I can't think of an Android device that doesn't have at least a few. Probably the ones that folks have most trouble with are its wonky interaction with Bluetooth peripherals, although I don't use Bluetooth so I can't comment on it. Also, there's a crash bug in the GPS library that's occasionally run into by heavy GPS users. If you use GPS-utilizing apps (e.g., Maps) roughly 20 times a day, it's quite likely the GPS will crash and you'll have to reboot to recover it. There's a fix for it on xda that may be useful if you are a heavy GPS user, otherwise you'll rarely run into it.

Epic ROMs do hugely improve the device experience, but they're not strictly necessary if you're not into the whole ROM thing. My wife uses a totally stock, unrooted EC05 Epic and has no problems with it, although she's neither a GPS nor Bluetooth user. But in terms of it being a functional device with compatibility with every app I've tried, it's fine.

For $200 I'd probably consider a Shift over the Epic, but for $50 it's an absolute steal. Makes me a bit miffed when I bought it for $250 in October, the highest subsidized price Sprint has charged for an Android device.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 28, 2011

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Astiesan posted:

and the shift just doesn't feel right in my hand.
Seriously, I fully expect the Shift to be better supported, both by HTC and the ROM community, for far longer than the Epic. There's a lot of subtle downsides to going with an Epic that would make the Shift a superior purchase. If this is really your only complaint about the device, consider the known issues with the Epic carefully, lest you regret that decision.

Astiesan posted:

Now I've rooted and modded the poo poo out of my droid, but from my understanding that's really not even required with the Epic because it's just flatly fast to begin with.
Indeed the Epic CPU & GPU are fast. I/O is a bit laggy, especially compared to the Nexus S, due to Samsung's use of RFS. The lag isn't nearly as bad as the original GSM Galaxy S models, and many folks won't think much of it in practice.

Now, if you do mod it, most ROMs support ext4 which is very fast. However, many of these are "no journal" ROMs where an OS crash or battery pull pretty much guarantees file system corruption. In contrast, I've never had any corruption issues with RFS, and I'm beginning to think it's not worth putting up with reflashing your phone every few weeks just to make it a little less laggy.

But the real reason to run a custom kernel/ROM on the Epic is to fix its silly bugs.

Astiesan posted:

I really want a hardware keyboard though.
Beware that the hardware keyboard suffers from somewhat-significant responsiveness issues under stock Froyo. If you have arthritis-laden hands that force you to type slow as poo poo, it won't be an issue. But many folks on xda report dropped letters and other annoyances. There's patches in custom kernels & ROMs to improve the keyboard's responsiveness, and folks on xda report great success with them.

However the entire keyboard driver is a horrible mess and the software support for the keyboard simply isn't as good as the Shift, or frankly any other device. And I wouldn't expect Samsung to improve it in official releases in the future, given that its quality appears to be decreasing with updates.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Venkmanologist posted:

Whats the easiest way to port her number from US Cellular to Sprint if we are creating the new account through Amazon?
Don't port the number right away. Just order the phone, new number and all. When it arrives and you've verified it's working and you've setup her contacts and stuff and she's happy with it, then port the number. You can do it by calling customer service or stopping in at a Sprint store.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

jaku78 posted:

I really wished Samsung would take the hint and just get some better people to do their software, because I love the company when it comes to TVs and monitors but they are a real poo poo hole when it comes to cellphones.
I don't think their problem is just having poo poo developers. They definitely code up some weird poo poo, but I think they're better than sometimes given credit for.

Samsung's real problems are project management. Their goal was to sell Galaxy S phones on (or compatible with) every carrier in the world. They should've done that by making one phone, possibly with some hardware optionals, and made the only carrier-specific differences, aside from cosmetics, be radio compatibility.

Instead Samsung released something like ten unnecessarily different phones, the software of which is developed in ten forked code trees. You can have the best programmers in the world, and nothing short of sheer man power will keep ten development trees up to date with bug fixes and poo poo. Given that most of these devices are developed in Korea for export, and not actually used by Samsung engineers, they're unlikely to fix non-super-critical bugs due to lack of personal motivation.

Although the best programmers in the world probably wouldn't stick around since I imagine the stress of working on such a poorly managed project that lead them to greener pastures.

jeeves posted:

am curious why some folks have a preference to the Nexus S? It seems there is a lot of Samsung hate here, but not for that specific phone?
The Nexus S is a Google branded & developed phone, whose hardware OEM happens to incidentally be Samsung. This is distinct from it being a "Samsung phone" like the Galaxy S series. And as it turns out, that distinction eliminates 99% of the problems associated with Samsung phones.

Furthermore, I'm of the recent opinion that it's silly to purchase a non-US developed phone for use in the US market. Phones have an incredibly short development life cycle, given that they're obsolete on the market in 6-12 months. This means that all phones have bugs on release, some of which are hideous. Note that the Nexus S was not an exception here.

The difference is that when engineers use the very devices they develop for, day to day, these bugs get fixed because they notice the problems, are capable of debugging them, and have a personal incentive to fix them. The fact that Google engineers eat their own dog food is why bugs on the Nexus S get fixed relatively-timely, and the fact that Samsung's engineers in Korea use god-knows-what means that bugs on export devices for the US market never get fixed.

The same is true with Apple products, Palm HP, even RIM. I imagine Motorola as well, although I won't purchase their phones for other reasons. HTC, LG, and especially Samsung US devices? Crapshoot, at best.

Granted, that's just a general trend I've noticed and not a guarantee of quality on any specific device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

SneakyCracker posted:

Fake Edit: Yup, just tried it on my Epic. Putting the phone into airplane mode disables everything, but then manually turning on wifi will leave the airplane mode icon in place, but give the wifi connection only.

Edit 2: Texting does not work in this mode, though.
On Froyo there's the "Data network mode" option next to Airplane mode in the power-button-hold menu. That should have the desired effect--turning off the cellular data connection but still allowing for calls, sms, and wifi.

I'd also turn off the "Data roaming" option in the "Mobile networks" settings just in case.

Edit: Oh, don't want texts. Yes, Airplane mode then.