Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...
Yeah, it seems like timing makes your choices limited. I am thinking of just purchasing the 3D out right. You might have a few more options. Maybe the best and cheapest would be to get a phone port your number onto something like boost or virgin mobile for two months then get the 3D on the EPRP beginning of June. Which if you think about it is only 65 days away until the 4th which is when they launched the Evo last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Once every 10 times or so HDMwIn works on my CM7 Evo. I finally got it to work and had a camera at the same time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLg2NNRjMIM

Just a one minuteish video that doesn't show much just a replay of my playing a game. I am really looking forward to this being a bit more stable so I can hook up my phone to my monitor have a bluetooth mouse and keyboard to it as well and have it be a hub.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

I am running CM7 on my Evo and I keep trying to brain storm a way to keep my apple bluetooth keyboard close so I don't have to use the on screen keyboard. I always keep my wiimote so I can use it with snes/genesis emulators as well.

I tolerate the no keyboard, I don't think I excel with it. However all that being said, I like that my phone is a single non moving unit.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

The Entire Universe posted:

It is a rather good keyboard. When I put the CM7 alpha on my Epic (the quintessential Piece of poo poo Samsung Sin Machine) I stopped using Swype.

I agree the keyboard on cm7 is way better than swype. I still make way more mistakes on it than a physical keyboard.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

It is extremely rare now a days that I actually use my kickstand.

I use it often, in fact I'm very disappointed that the evo 2 might not have one

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

nate fisher posted:

While my wife is going to get the EVO 3D (her reward for rocking my Hero the last year) I think I might hold off upgrading myself. Why? For the first time in a long time I am still satisfied with my cell phone a year later. Yes the EVO is not perfect but it is still a pretty good phone. Urg I say this now but I bet once I see her with her new toy I will have to have it.

I was thinking the same thing. I may try to get a 3D but my Evo does a lot of stuff. I will at least hold off until they get root access, and may not load anything on it, just run stock and a wifi teather.

I say this as I post from my cm7 nook color linked via wifi teather to my cm7 Evo.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

I would hate for those prices to go up like that. I have used 2.5 gb and still have like five days to go in my billing cycle.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

This is how it goes down every year.

Besides they are probably manufacturing them right now, trying to get stock above 250k.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Toebone posted:

Has anyone had luck getting Sprint to waive the $35 fee for getting a defective phone replaced?

I have done it twice, and both times I haven't paid. I didn't say anything special though

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

It might meant the plan change would be in your benefit, i.e. the 10 dollars is dropped. Other than that I wouldn't know.

/\/\/\All of them huh, including treo pro's, interesting

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

anyone buy the phone outright? I just wanted to see where the best deal was. Only thing I found was Amazon where I can get it for 455 dollars.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

I have 2475 on one of my text conversations.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

4G is active in Tulsa. I got it at two different points in town eight miles apart. Confirmed by a friend, weak signal for both of us but netflix loads awesome fast.

Not that there are many Tulsa goons, but still.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

big mean giraffe posted:

Has this been posted yet?

http://gizmofusion.com/2011/09/sprint-upgrading-existing-3g-coverage-area-to-evdo-rev-b-october-7th/

Just saw this linked on XDA in the Evo 3D forums, I hope to god it's true. Current 3G speeds are crap.

this would be awesome, faster 3g and iPhone would be a very good thing for sprint

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

goku chewbacca posted:

but I've heard the Evo screen is especially difficult to replace.

It is, I have tried. It's not nearly as easy as the youtube video would have you believe

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Casao posted:

Wait, is it really 300mb/month if you're roaming on Verizon? That's kind of ridiculous, maybe I will go Verizon...

If you are in a top 50 market or above roaming should't be an issue at all.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

I have been doing some speed tests, around 15, for the past week at different portions of my city at different times.

Best Ping I got was 580ms around 6pm
Best download I got was 133kbps, twice once at 110am and another at 11pm
Best upload I got was 178kbps at 115am

Evo 3D running stock. 4g is much faster of course as is the ping but only available around 1/5 of the places I go. Are these normal Sprint 3g speeds?

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Alman posted:

As a control test, I'm able to get 1.8 mbps down/0.44 mbps up on 3G across the street from the Sprint HQ in the middle of a workday.

I posted actually to see if anyone close to Sprint HQ would chime in. Interesting to see what 3g is supposed to be.

Grumpwagon posted:

Sprint 3g speeds are almost completely dependent on where you are. Some towers are congested, some aren't. Having said that, I've never heard anyone complain about slow pings, just slow speeds.

You're speeds are amazing as well. I doubt I have ever gone over 1mb per second on any device I've ever owned (On 3g). In fact I always thought that if I was hitting 3 times dial-up speeds on any device I was doing really well for myself.

Also in regards to ping, I was very surprised when I hit that 580ms. I just looked at my next best ping and it is 823ms, 1298ms being the worst.

I gave my tests the best conditions I could, being literally miles (sometimes 12+) away from the last time I took a test so I could see better if it was the entire city that had poor speed or a certain tower. And it's not like I am in some dumb rear end middle of the woods town, Tulsa has 500k+ people in it.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

atomicvocabulary posted:

I have been doing some speed tests, around 15, for the past week at different portions of my city at different times.

Best Ping I got was 580ms around 6pm
Best download I got was 133kbps, twice once at 110am and another at 11pm
Best upload I got was 178kbps at 115am

Evo 3D running stock. 4g is much faster of course as is the ping but only available around 1/5 of the places I go. Are these normal Sprint 3g speeds?

Um, guys. I think I found something. Or at least maybe rediscovered something from this thread. I think that my so called "3g" was set to 1x this whole time. I've been running speed tests and have never been able to get above 133kbps download.

I work nights here in Tulsa for a major ambulance service so I would run a speed test in the dead space when 90% of people would be asleep say like 1am to 3am. So like even at that time next to a tower I would get a slow ping, upwards of 1second or more, and watch the test run and stop at 132kbps and maybe get 133. I got that result 5 times or more in the two weeks plus I have been running the speed test.

Until today when I checked this thread again. Page 147 lead to a thread on XDA about the EVO shift of all things (I'm on a 3d). His Shift came from the factory set to 1x. I am starting to think mine too. I followed these instructions:

I seem to have it working now. The change I made was ##3282#, EVDO, preferred mode = auto. This was previously set to CDMA. After a reboot I now have 3g.

My EVDO phrase that I had was "CDMA only" which I changed to automatic. First test I ran, which was just now 3pm local time:

685ms Ping
237kbps download
255kbps upload

All these results from the same test. Compared to best results from multiple tests before the change which you can see above but for ease I reformat here:

580ms ping
133kbps download
178kbps upload

And this was in the middle of the day with the networks probably loaded up with users. I never got anything close to this except on 4g or wifi.

I suggest checking your poo poo if you were having a problem like mine.

new edit: 5pm local time:

169ms ping
1392 kbps download
427kbps upload

I'm about to cry

atomicvocabulary fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 12, 2011

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

SneakyCracker posted:

Uh. EVDO = 3G on Sprint. CDMA is the underlying technology the whole shebang runs on. I think you've got your terms confused here - you're thinking of the difference between 1xRTT (2G) and EVDO (3G).

Thanks for that, I'll fix it. Bottom line for me is the change from CDMA only to automatic was the correct one

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Krittick posted:

I'm losing hope.

I was losing hope, about the end of the summer to the first portion of November my speeds were atrocious on my evo 3d. Did you do any of the mods in the original post of this thread? Specifically this one:

900ftjesus posted: posted:

This will actually help 3G streaming.

1) Click on phone and dial ##DATA# (##3282#)
2) Click on "Edit Mode"
3) Type in your MSL code (see above if you don't have it yet)
4) Choose Advanced
5) Choose RSTP/HTTP Setting
6) Change both IP addresses to 0.0.0.0
7) Change both ports to 0
8) Hit Back button until you're back at your home screen, no restart needed.

Now you're not using Sprint's data proxy.

EDIT: This will very likely reset itself if you flash a ROM, so check it after flashing.

EDIT2: This is set on a lot if not all phones, but the location may differ. You're looking for "RSTP proxy IP" and "HTTP proxy IP" and the default settings are:

RTSP proxy IP = rtsp.vog.sprintpcs.com
RTSP proxy port = 554
HTTP proxy IP = pd.vog.sprintpcs.com
HTTP proxy port = 8085

New settings:
RTSP proxy IP to: 0.0.0.0
RTSP proxy port to: 0
HTTP proxy IP to: 0.0.0.0
HTTP proxy port to: 0

And if not that I posted something back in the thread that my 3D was doing, keeping me on 2g speeds. The fix I found on another website:

I seem to have it working now. The change I made was ##3282#, EVDO, preferred mode = auto. This was previously set to CDMA. After a reboot I now have 3g.

What I actually saw:
My EVDO phrase that I had was "CDMA only" which I changed to automatic.

I hope it helps some, I was seriously considering verizon due to the speed problems

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

I couldn't read past the first few responses in that story. Knee jerk reaction to a radio shack employee?

edit:

Leathal posted:

Edit: Sprint to implement data caps starting at 25 mb a month. :haw:

I am going to twitter this, see if it gets traction. Online forum member who is expert on Sprint says 25 mb per month!

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

how come the kyocera echo didn't make the list?

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

dundun posted:

What does $99 "on contract" mean, so current sprint customers could pick it up for 99 dollars or do you have to renew your contract? Also, do you need a special tablet contract or can someone with a Sero account get it?

I think the tablet contract is that 99 dollars and then like 15 dollars a month for a gig of data and upwards from there. Not totally sure though.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

6.87 gb between 3g and 4g here. I always use WiFi at home, 4 days left in the billing cycle.

I really like Sprint

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

SlothBear posted:

I asked specifically about that. They said it wouldn't affect my current phone, both when I originally ordered it and yesterday when they re-ordered it. I can't even remember the last time I've been this annoyed at a store.

I think it just has to do with that actual store. I would not be to pleased with the guy that took my order. Sprint has improved but it's human error that you are dealing with I think. Hopefully a few days will go by and everything will resolve itself.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Do you have a previous sprint phone? You can activate that, putting insurance on it. Then if she doesn't like using her old phone again you guys can go back to the broken phone again.......

Or just go to craigslist and purchase a replacement.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

fuzzi posted:

I'm gonna miss my Evo 3d though... it was a fun phone. I'll probably sell my dock if anyone is interested.

I am interested, do you have a website where you bought it from? Amazon? I'd like to check it out.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

When did the Epic Touch come out? That is the highest end new Sprint phone, but it seems to have come out like almost 7 months ago. It seems like Motorola releases a new loving droid every month for verizon

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

That is really interesting because I always get the best 3g at night, from like 11pm to when I get off work, sometimes 4am.

I assumed it was because all the boost mobile, virgin mobile Sprint people are finally not using their phones and therefore not clogging the towers.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Well that's good news. I thought that the verizon version launched on December 15th. It would make sense that it would launch 5 months after that, but wouldn't 6 months make more sense?

edit: I guess it would be 4 full months, not 5

atomicvocabulary fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 18, 2012

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

SERO plans don't exist anymore, save for grandfathered people.

/\/\/\/\Ahh, not paying attention, I see

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

I tried today, but it said Invalid captcha entry.

As there isn't a captcha entry area above the submit button (it just says "Input error: Invalid referer" where I assume the captcha should be) I guess Jesus doesn't want me to win.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Only to play devil's advocate, but I remember an article earlier in the year with Dan saying that sprint was going to be "Very aggressive" from April to August. I got the impression it was to do with phones

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

Got a galaxy nexus ordered for my fiancé, which will now make me extremely jealous while waiting for it to be available for me. At least I get to sell her 3D. Anyone interested?

I am interested. I used to have a 3d but went back to an evo because I was able to root it easier and have wifi hotspot. Has the 3d community got any better with rooting and such?

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

I liked the 3D when I had it, I just thought it needed a bottom or top charging port and a kick stand. Oh also an easier way to unlock it, but that may have changed.

They seemed to have fixed one with the new Evo but not the other

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

St. Blaize posted:

So is there something that I missed about the Evo LTE that is causing everyone to run out for the Nexus instead of waiting?

The negatives I can think of are based on preference really.

I am not sure if there are many negatives in regards to an Evo. Purity of the Nexus I think is the driving force behind the purchase. I think I would prefer an Evo over a nexus as I don't like soft buttons. And plus the thread is probably dominated by people in the here and now, which the nexus just launched. Check back in a month and it should be different.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

I would switch back to an Evo 3D if it had ICS stock (and sense overlay) and I rooted just to get wifi sharing. That would be an awesome phone.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm avoiding flashing anything else to my phone until a solution is ironed out on the VM fuckery I put myself through :downs:

I agree. They say the ICS release is imminent (They say a lot), May 28th is the day I hear. I have a brand new (an cheaply acquired off craigslist) 3D that I am really looking forward to having ICS and sense 4 on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

DanAdamKOF posted:

My brother dropped his Touch Pro 2 in a pool, is there any way I can activate my old Touch Pro 2 onto his account without changing his SERO 500 account? He plans to upgrade to an iPhone 4S (with all that entails on SERO) very soon, would it affect the upgrade if I activated the Touch Pro 2 on his account?

Activating a phone on the account will not affect it at all. You can trade out phones when ever. Like last week I was on an Evo, this week I am on a 3D. My upgrade remains the same, 1 oct 2012